PDA

View Full Version : How often do you have to clean your firing pin?

MyGlock17
02-19-2012, 8:30 PM
How often do you have to clean your firing pin? Is it every 500 rounds or 1000 rounds? Or does it depend on the type of gun? For instance i have a Glock do you think it's necessary to clean the firing pin every 500 rounds or 1000 rounds? Also what about on a 1911?

SA227driver
02-19-2012, 8:33 PM
On my Glocks I do a deep cleaning every 3,000 rounds. Which usually equates to once a year.

MyGlock17
02-19-2012, 8:35 PM
K i guess i have a long way to go lol...

jeffrice6
02-19-2012, 8:36 PM
I'm a bit anal, I breakdown & clean after each range day.....

gant
02-19-2012, 8:52 PM
same with me i like cleaning my guns lol, so as soon as i get home i break them down clean/lube

even if i only put 100 rounds thru it lol

SA227driver
02-19-2012, 9:04 PM
The question was for the firing pin/firing pin chamber. Always clean the breach face well, but I don't disassemble the slide and take out the firing pin until I reach a couple thousand. Also, when you do this do not put any lube in the firing pin channel. It's meant to be as dry as possible, putting lube down there will only gunk it up and create reliability problems down the road.

Have fun out there!

gant
02-19-2012, 9:04 PM
yeah i know it was for the firing pin, i just clean the face of it after every range trip

Fishslayer
02-19-2012, 9:13 PM
I've had my Ruger KP90 since Nov 2008 (;)) and have a few thousand rounds through it. My usual cleaning involves lots of Hoppes and aerosol cleaner through the firing pin hole.

This January I finally decided to strip it down to the firing pin. The pin & channel were spotless. Seriously. I ran a pipe cleaner in there & it came out white.

My 1911 was a whole nuther story. The FP & extractor channels were just nasty after a lot fewer rounds. I clean those more often.

I have no idea why the same cleaning method was less effective on the 1911.:confused:

tbc
02-19-2012, 9:16 PM
Used to clean them every range trip but not anymore. It just took too much time to field strip and clean two to three guns bi-weekly. I reduce it down to quarterly. They don't get much attention anymore :)

tuna quesadilla
02-19-2012, 9:18 PM
yeah i know it was for the firing pin, i just clean the face of it after every range trip

What exactly does cleaning the face of the firing pin accomplish?

vintagearms
02-19-2012, 9:30 PM
How often do you have to clean your firing pin? Is it every 500 rounds or 1000 rounds? Or does it depend on the type of gun? For instance i have a Glock do you think it's necessary to clean the firing pin every 500 rounds or 1000 rounds? Also what about on a 1911?

I would think about every 1k rounds would be good.

wayneinFL
02-19-2012, 9:33 PM
It all depends. Open it up one time and see how dirty it is. If it's really crudded up, you need to do it more often.

LovingTheYear1911
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes I know I have issues, but after each range trip, I strip down my guns and clean them. Its not necessary, but I enjoy it.

Black Majik
02-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I do every 5000. I never notice the firing pin and firing pin channel to get very dirty.

zfields
02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
As long as you dont put oil in the FP hole, you should be good for a few thousand rounds.

I have over 5k through my XD, only cleaned it out once, and thats because my dumb *** put oil in it and a bunch of crap got in there.

SouperMan
02-19-2012, 11:57 PM
I took it apart just to see how it worked ;)

Every time I clean my Glocks, I do the rattle test to see if if the firing pin moves freely by disengaging the firing pin block safety and shaking the slide.

Blackhawk556
02-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I haven't cleaned my guns in a long time. problems, what problems? I love my guns, everyone one of them. will except one.

I might spray them with something this Tuesday just for fun. :D

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility

Dhena81
02-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Some of you guys that detail strip your firearm after only 1-3k rounds your crazy. If your in a real dirty environment I could understand but hey if you have the time its your choice :rockon:

What I do 80% of the time is only bring one handgun or one long gun and shoot them so I won't have a lot to clean.

Rocket Man
02-20-2012, 1:05 AM
we camp out in Nevada alot for a week at a time & bring at least 10 guns....
I really don't like cleaning that amount! it sucks!

FP cleaning goes to the DI AR, she's a dirty little bird!

Eljay
02-20-2012, 6:21 AM
Some designs definitely keep gunk out of that area better than others. With a 1911 I'd consider pulling the firing pin part of a field strip, not a detail strip, so I'd do it every time I clean. On the other extreme guns like the Sigs that leave the firing pin out a bit (you can see from the brass that it's still out on extraction) stay very clean. I'll clean it during its 5,000 round service but it's never very dirty.

Oceanbob
02-20-2012, 7:57 AM
If it's one of my range Glocks and I'am going to the range (usually with my 14 year old daughter) I might not deep clean the weapon for a couple of months. We run an older Gen2 Glock 17 (her favorite) and lately a G20 Longslide that I built.

On my self-defense, SHTF handguns I keep them in pristine condition and will clean them 100% (including the Glock channel liner that the firing pin floats back and forth in).

We reload and I have noticed that the amount of GUNK that collects on the slide, barrel and surrounding parts largely depends on what POWDER I'am running. Cheap range ammo sometime runs smokey and dirty. (I call it FLAMING DIRT)....:)

This makes me clean the weapons more often. :cool2:

I have bought some used GLOCKS here on the classifieds. I always break down a new purchase and deep clean and inspect. I was surprised on how much GUNK can get into the channel liner; using a Q tip that comes out BLACK. I did notice some well meaning glock owners have oiled that area which really attracts dirt...:(

Be well,

Bob

JNunez23
02-20-2012, 8:39 AM
After EVERY range trip, though it's not necessary but you can do every 500-1000 rounds as many stated earlier.

MyGlock17
02-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!...But anyways i decided to take out the firing pin and cleaned it since it was easy to do on a Glock :)...But it was kinda dirty especially inside the slide where the firing pin goes in...I can only imagine how dirty it would be if you don't clean it after 1500 rounds or so...This is a new Glock with only 400 rounds in it...

Mr.1904
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
As long as you dont put oil in the FP hole, you should be good for a few thousand rounds.

I have over 5k through my XD, only cleaned it out once, and thats because my dumb *** put oil in it and a bunch of crap got in there.

++1

1911su16b870
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I shoot my G21 often. I only do an annual armorer level disassembly/inspection/cleaning on it.

The little hole on the bottom, just rearward of the breech face on the Glock slide, is a debris hole and NOT an oil port! :eek: Folks who oil there will need a good clean out of their firing pin assy and FP slide pocket.

unusedusername
02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
The firing pin on my Sig P226 is not listed on the ""user removable parts" list, so I'm guessing they think it never needs cleaning.

Eventually I'll figure out how to get it out and clean it.

sd_shooter
02-20-2012, 1:31 PM
Never.

I have only cleaned the FP on my milsurp weapons when I first bought them and they truly needed it. I hardly ever see any buildup on the bolt face or FP on my guns (except my 15-22, but even on that I leave the FP alone.)

DArBad
02-20-2012, 1:52 PM
I'm a bit anal, I breakdown & clean after each range day.....

Me too. Not that my 1911s need it, I just find totally disassembling and cleaning them fun and satisfying.

randomBytes
02-20-2012, 2:24 PM
Glock? I've never cleaned any of mine beyond what field stripping allows.
G34 has the most usage (25-30k).
So long as it rattles you should be good.

scarville
02-20-2012, 4:00 PM
I recently discovered that my 686 needs the firing pin cleaned somewhere before 10K. OTOH, that may be from oil getting into the guide. OTGH, the rest of the lockworks were gunked up too so it had to be stripped and cleaned anyways.

osxgp
02-20-2012, 6:14 PM
same with me i like cleaning my guns lol, so as soon as i get home i break them down clean/lube

even if i only put 100 rounds thru it lol

I do that as well. I enjoy taking my guns apart and putting them back together. I've cleaned several friends guns who never clean their guns. Nothing like using a screwdriver to remove caked on residue. Makes me want to clean my guns every time.