PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my AR for the first time = Chemical Suggestions?

AlpineWeiss
02-19-2012, 6:34 PM
First 2500 rounds down, I figure its about time to give the rifle a cleaning. I know many of your are going to be doing this :facepalm:

It was an experiment. I lubed the action with Brakefree CLP before the first shot at every range trip. About 500 rounds ago I wiped down the bolt, carrier and upper with CLP and found the finishes to still be in virtually new shape.

I hear Breakfree CLP isn't the best stuff to be using. I've been reading it does three things, none of them well. Which runs counter to my experience, but what say you guys.

What is your cleaning regiment and what chemicals do you use for what?

I already have on hand:
Mil-Com TW25b
Mil-Com MC25
Mil-Com MC2500
BrakeFree CLP
Hopps #9
A can of Chinese Redbull.

If it makes a difference, I have a chrome lined bore.

bloodhawke83
02-19-2012, 6:35 PM
Hopps #9

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

rero360
02-19-2012, 6:35 PM
rag and Q-tips, no chemicals, no need in my mind. just wipe off the gunk and relube.

dgon27
02-19-2012, 6:52 PM
My first AR cleaning was close to rero360.

Dental picks to get in the tight places, rags / patches, Q-tips, and Gunzilla for cleaning and lube.

darqhelmet
02-19-2012, 6:55 PM
MPro7 and rem oil. Though I did pick up frog lube today and I do prefer how it applies and stays where you put it. No experience running it in an AR15 yet though.

Mail Clerk
02-19-2012, 6:57 PM
If I shot that many rounds through my AR I'd use a couple cans of Birchwood Gun Scrubber and wash as much fouling as possible along with a large patch and use it break up crud.

Since you have a chrome bore all you need is a brass/copper brush to scrub the bore.

Mail Clerk

zfields
02-19-2012, 7:00 PM
Way to much overthinking on cleaning. Use what you have, it all works.

p7m8jg
02-19-2012, 7:07 PM
rag and Q-tips, no chemicals, no need in my mind. just wipe off the gunk and relube.

If my son learned anything in the USMC, then Sarge is right. When he came home on leave we went shooting. Afterwards, I just sat back in awe while he quickly and efficiently stripped my Colt Sporter HBAR, wiped it down, only used a dry brush, cloths, and cleaned the crap outta it. By the time he was done I asked "what about solvent?"

He answered - "My SAW doesn't ever jam. I don't use solvent. Lube it with CLP and you're done." How could I argue with that? He's shot waaaaay more rounds than I ever will.

Thinking back, when I started we always used lead bullet reloads for training. Afterwards, it was always a pain to "get the lead out" of our barrels. But with the AR everybody shoots jacketed bullets. Best as I can figure, there's really not any build up to worry about.

I use good 'ol Hoppes No 9 when I clean. My wife thinks its cologne....
FWIW.

Xring Kid
02-19-2012, 8:38 PM
There are different ways to clean you AR. You can
1: Take a garden hose and then dry it off good.
2: Break Cleaner works good but it drys fast
3: (This is what I use) Gunzilla, for everything. It works as a lubricant and cleaner.

I do not recommend grease except for the buffer spring, but the bolt does need a little of something "frog lube is awesome". Some thing to say also is that your gas rings should not line up. And to clean the trigger enough to allow it to function.

Q-tips are awesome too!

Dhena81
02-19-2012, 9:01 PM
I use MPro7 for cleaning and a combination of Slip EWL and Mil-Com TWB-25 on the BCG when I really want to clean it.

Full Clip
02-19-2012, 9:09 PM
I use all that stuff, as well as WD-40, mineral spirits, Mobil 1...

protoolsnerd
02-19-2012, 9:13 PM
Another plus for mpro7 . No awful smell or greasy feeling . good stuff

relube , CLP is my fav for my ar

AlpineWeiss
02-19-2012, 9:46 PM
Broke it down. Cleaned out everything, the fouling wasn't excessive at all. Pretty much all the gunk was still wet with CLP from my last range trip so it wiped right off. I noticed the rails on the bolt carrier are starting to get shiny, plus some other spots on the lugs but no erosion or gouging.

Put fresh CLP on everything that moves, reassembled.

... I think I might have some feelings for this rifle. <3

NewbieDave
02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Engine cleaner, brake cleaner & tranny grease. Everything you need for a good gun cleaning.

R1K
02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Then Froglube it.

Tracer666
02-20-2012, 8:08 AM
Froglube is awesome!! and Darn those who say CLP is all you need! What a disgrace to all the service rifles I see cleaned everyday with it! A Cleaner cant be a Lube!!!! So anyways I use Hoppes Semi Auto Solvent with Hoppes Elite gun oil! Solvent on everything that carbon seems to be collecting on as well as if you see any rust powder or rust spots on muzzle brake. And Lube any part where friction and wear is caused by metal rubbing on metal.....These spots will start turning silver within time! :) HAPPY SHOOTIN.

j411701
02-20-2012, 8:51 AM
MPro-7 followed by CLP

NorCalK9.com
02-20-2012, 9:26 AM
I have a question?
How did you keep track if how many rounds you put thru it?
I ask cause maybe theres an easier system than mine.
On each ammo can I tape a piece of paper to it. I write what rifle that can goes too. When I go to leave to the range I pull x amount of ammo out of one of the big crates, I then write x amount on paper, after shooting if theres any left I just minus that from starting amount and put left over ammo back into crate.
This system works well but I always have to hunt for the ammo can that matches the particular ak im taking that day.
Is your system better? If so please share. Thanks bud

TNP'R
02-20-2012, 9:27 AM
hoppes 9

coltn46920
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
gasoline

nikonuser
02-20-2012, 2:14 PM
I have been using HOPPES 9 and HOPPES oil for 20+ years and all my rifles are rust free and looking like brand new still.

HPGunner
02-20-2012, 2:21 PM
Mpro7, a bore snake, some rags, and q-tips. Relube BCG with Slip2000 or FP10.

bambam8d1
02-20-2012, 2:30 PM
I like slip2000

chicoredneck
02-20-2012, 2:39 PM
I like mpro7 for the bore. I use whatever is available, but prefer mpro because it cleans carbon extremely well and doesn't have pungent fumes. For AR a light grease is actually a better lube, but there is nothing wrong with CLP. It's obviously worked for you for 2,500 rounds.

Gnome
02-20-2012, 2:40 PM
A lot of people seem to be raving about Frog Lube. YouTube has several reviews on it. Seems interesting. You might want to check it out. I'll be trying it out on several of my guns soon.

Edit: And it's not cancer causing, which is always a plus...

Jimmy310
02-20-2012, 2:54 PM
I disassemble and spray my bcg with brake cleaner. I spray the chamber, chamber lugs, and bore with smith and wesson heavy duty bore cleaner (chlorinated). Its probably horrible for your skin and to breath in but it makes things nice and clean. I follow up with soaked hoppes qtips around the chamber/lugs then dry it up. Everything gets a light oiling with ballistol(alot like clp, but i just use this as a lubricant). My Ar's have never failed me, even using cheap tula ammo.

Capybara
02-20-2012, 3:14 PM
A gunsmith turned me on to Alumicut, which is a cutting solvent, many years ago. I used it for years, it works well but it is hard to find. On a more practical level, my wife hated when I would clean my guns in the house and I like cleaning my guns on the house. When I have to clean 4 or 5 of them after a long day at the range, that takes me about 2-3 hours to do it right. So cleaning in the house I can supervise the kids homework, watch TV, etc.

So on a lark, I picked up some Frog Lube, mainly because of the smell, it smells like mint and no woman is going to have an issue with the smell and frankly, I like the non-toxic part of it. Not sure if it works any better than Alumicut and some Hoppes lubricant but it definitely smells better, it cleans and lubes well and wife is happy and lets me clean the guns in the house. Still not sure if I can get away with just using the Frog Lube with no grease on sliding bolts and receivers but it says in the instructions not to mix Frog Lube with petroleum products because the Frog Lube strips the petroleum away.

Working well for me, I like it. I know a lot of people are skeptical of it but it does seem to really work so far.

Dan

Gnome
02-20-2012, 3:17 PM
I disassemble and spray my bcg with brake cleaner. I spray the chamber, chamber lugs, and bore with smith and wesson heavy duty bore cleaner (chlorinated). Its probably horrible for your skin and to breath in but it makes things nice and clean. I follow up with soaked hoppes qtips around the chamber/lugs then dry it up. Everything gets a light oiling with ballistol(alot like clp, but i just use this as a lubricant). My Ar's have never failed me, even using cheap tula ammo.

Oh God! That can't be good for you... :eek:

dbbspider
02-20-2012, 6:09 PM
I have used Hoppes, break cleaner, Mil, Birchwood Casey, Rem Oil, Break free, Syn motor oil, syn tranny oil, all purpose grease, marvel mystery oil, etc. They all work fine.

xtalpimp
02-20-2012, 6:35 PM
MPro-7 followed by CLP

+1 and maybe just a little grease on the cam lock in the bolt

Chan
02-20-2012, 7:32 PM
I think I'm gonna go the poor man route with a APC diluted solution an Mobil 1 0w-20 that I always have extras of after every oil change for my car.