PDA

View Full Version : First AR: Complete!

Velio
02-19-2012, 7:13 PM
Just finished putting everything together today, and man is she a beauty! Took me nearly an hour to put the lower together, fifteen minutes of which were spent trying to find the pivot pin detent and spring. :mad:

All in all though, I learned a lot about my new weapon, and I can't wait to shoot it!

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa473/Tylor_Brown/DSC00253.jpg

osis32
02-19-2012, 7:21 PM
Simple and effective. Looks like a winner to me. Bet you'll be getting an optic soon :P

LoadedM333
02-19-2012, 7:23 PM
Looks great!

Velio
02-19-2012, 7:27 PM
Simple and effective. Looks like a winner to me. Bet you'll be getting an optic soon :P

That is the next part, yes! Looking into red dots and holos right now, trying to find a good deal on an EOTech, or might go with a Vortex Strikefire/SPARC or Lucid HD7. Already spent enough on the rifle as it is, so kind of want to keep the optics cost low. lol

green grunt
02-19-2012, 7:28 PM
Looks great , set mine up almost the same , I added a rail cover (cut down) to cover up those sharp rail corners , if no dot sight .... enjoy ....hide the CC , it's hard to stop at just one AR....

Velio
02-19-2012, 7:30 PM
Looks great , set mine up almost the same , I added a rail cover (cut down) to cover up those sharp rail corners , if no dot sight .... enjoy ....hide the CC , it's hard to stop at just one AR....

Haha that's what I hear, I have a few more things planned before I do another AR though so hopefully that will drain my bank account before I can make my way down to the LGS and pick up another lower. =P

osis32
02-19-2012, 8:09 PM
Vortex sparc is the best budget optic you can get. Comes with mounting hardware and lifetime warranty. Just got one for my ak. Have a dead eotech 511 stil kinda miffed about it.

Drivedabizness
02-19-2012, 8:41 PM
+1 on Vortex Sparc

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
02-19-2012, 8:51 PM
Very nice. I like the different colored furniture. Kudos to you for putting it together yourself :mnl:

mlevans66
02-19-2012, 8:56 PM
Niiiice! :thumbsup:

ChaneRZ
02-19-2012, 9:05 PM
awesome!

Gio
02-19-2012, 9:09 PM
Very clean :)

mod1217
02-19-2012, 9:16 PM
I love the look of a new born AR it might cost you quite a bit but the first time you hear it go BANG! Priceless

Velio
02-19-2012, 9:24 PM
Now I just gotta make a definitive decision on a red dot. A lot of people have been telling me the budget optics aren't worth it at all, even the Vortex. Then again, I don't know if that's just Aimpoint fanboyism or sales associates trying to make a big sale, so yea...

mod1217
02-19-2012, 9:38 PM
Well let me tell you this I got a vortex strike fire for my first AR build after I zeroed it a year ago I haven't touch the adjustment again even after more than 1k rounds through it. Same as true with my Burris Fastfire and bushnel trs-25, budget scope are not bad just choose wisely

Velio
02-19-2012, 9:59 PM
Well let me tell you this I got a vortex strike fire for my first AR build after I zeroed it a year ago I haven't touch the adjustment again even after more than 1k rounds through it. Same as true with my Burris Fastfire and bushnel trs-25, budget scope are not bad just choose wisely

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I was kind of set on a Vortex Strikefire/SPARC, or a Lucid HD7... everyone I know just keeps trying to push Aimpoints and EOTechs down my throat is all lol. And while I love the EOTech in particular for its massive window and ease of targeting, unless I can get a screaming deal on here when I happen to have the money(hint, I never do when they are cheap), I'll be dropping at least 400+ on just the optic. I don't make quite enough money to be able to do that on a whim... I'm not exactly a low-pro sleek and savvy operator here, so I don't think I need all that.

icenix
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice, congrats!!

gant
02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
nice!, how hard was it for you?

02-19-2012, 10:09 PM
LOOKS AWESOME! (mine looks the same :) )

pingdork
02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not an aimpoint fanboy at all. Had one for all of one month, but my bad eyes couldn't get used to the huge comma where the 2moa dot was supposed to be. I prefer acogs myself. With that I think the aimpoint is an excellent choice even though it wasn't for me. Better to get now what you'll eventually end up getting anyway. What's the saying? Buy once, cry once. I wish I'd followed that advice instead of buying and selling eotech, aimpoint, and Nikon before finally arriving at acogs which is what I really wanted from the get go anyway.

AlpineWeiss
02-19-2012, 10:55 PM
ACOG... go there and don't look back.

Nice build, savor that first shot.

s4alex
02-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Congrats on your first AR. I am finishing up mine also.

I would double ++ the selection of the Vortex optics. I purchased mine from Sportman Supply for like $180 shipped (SPARC). They have a sale going on right now. Look around for a free shipping coupon also.

All the ones saying get the Aimpoint or Eotech give one of two arguements:
1. Buy once, cry once..
2. MilSpec Optics, it will take a beating and still work.

Bah.. humbug.. my rebuttals:
1. I figure, if you don't like the SPARC and and you opt to actually go for the Aimpoint, you can always sell it for pretty much what you paid. Either that or keep it and put the Aimpoint on your rifle and have the SPARC for another build. Buy once, cry once? They must not be married. I would buy once and cry everyday as my wife reminds me how much that little thing costs.

2. Truthfully, we say we have these for SHTF moments and want the best optic. Reality, we are going to be at the range. We are the 99%. Meaning 99% of us will not need the "proven" toughness of the Aimpoints. I can take my SPARC and toss it, drown it, freeze it.. and it still works. Plus the lifetime guarantee is not bad. If at home? My Glock and 870 next to me 686 next to my wife. AR is the last thing I would go for.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the type of disposable income that it takes to go and buy $600 optics for a $500 rifle, sure. But, I have better things to spent it on..

Like $600 in ammo and get really good with iron sights, so then I can careless about red dots.

nhattran_1528
02-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Nice built!!!!!!

pingdork
02-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Alex. I am married too and am very elusive about what's in the safe and how much it all cost. Pay cash and lie lie lie. That's how healthy marriages stay that way.

6doubleR
02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Congrats on the first build!

osis32
02-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Alex hit the nail on the head. Plus tooi can't beat the vortex warranty. I have an eotech that was defective out of the box. Just because you pay more doesn't mean it's better. I wish I wasn't so cheap buying a chinese made optic but it fit what I needed it for. There's nothing wrong with buy once cry once but if it is out of your price range for the time being no shame in getting something that will fit your needs. That being said I love my t1 just can't afford to put them on all my rifles.