PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94ae 44 mag *update*

Rocket Man
02-19-2012, 5:57 PM
A not-so-close friend of mine who is casually into firearms bought the 94 over ten years ago & never fired it (???? I can't comprehend that). After he happened to drop by the house after many years the Gun subject came up & I asked how his 94 was doing (hoping he'd sell :) ) he said he took it out last year & it would not fire the rounds, I suspected it was gunked up from sitting idle with no oil & offered to try and fix it and of course test firing a few boxes :p

He had no info (clues) to offer about the FTF, since I can't get to a range at this late hour on a Sunday I'll just strip her down & lube her up. pun intended.

Well I disassembled it and there was a very light oil on all the proper parts and every thing appears to function properly leaving me with no clue on the ftf until I get her to the range.

Question for you 94 owners; being that I know little of this great little carbine what should I be looking for and what are the known problems?

nimbus
02-19-2012, 6:05 PM
Firing pins on those can break if dry fired. I'd check that first. Also, try to get a snap cap or dummy round and see if it cycles and chambers tight. Also, does it have a safety? Could have been engaged when he was trying to shoot it.

fast1911
02-19-2012, 6:07 PM
During that time frame they were made with a cross-bolt safety. If the safety is engaged, the trigger will pull and the hammer will drop but it won't fire.

Rocket Man
02-19-2012, 6:18 PM
During that time frame they were made with a cross-bolt safety. If the safety is engaged, the trigger will pull and the hammer will drop but it won't fire.

You know I bet your right, I was checking that out & wondered the same but I thought no one could be that naive... but hell he did buy a cool gun & let the darn thing sit for ten years lol.

Can't wait to take it out!!!

If it does function right what do I tell him...??

Here I fixed your gun have fun...:rolleyes:
or
Here you dork the safety was on...:facepalm:
or
Gun is bad here's fifty bucks lets got down to the ffl..:43:

Rocket Man
02-20-2012, 6:46 PM
Got to take the 94 out today & it worked flawless, man what a fun little lever gun. Had more kick than I expected but not to bad. I think one should be mine.

Nimbis & Fast were right, he must have forgot to put cross bolt safety off, unreal.

Now I need to decide if I should mess with him some or just tell him safety was on!!
Think I'll envite him over and before hand strip the gun down & show him the "broken" parts lol

ECVMatt
02-20-2012, 8:26 PM
You should tell him it is hopelessly broken but that you will buy it from him for "Parts". Offer him 50 bucks.
I bet he will crack up when you show him what really happened.

I don't like safeties on leverguns just for that reason.