PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull weight question

Irish Gunner
02-19-2012, 5:46 PM
I have looked around the forums and haven't exactly found what I wanted. I have a Savage Axis 30-06 and the trigger is stiff as hell. I have heard rumors that stock trigger runs 10 lbs, but couldn't confirm it. I am going to replace the stock trigger with a Timney adjustable trigger but I don't know where to start.

I am primarily a target shooter, and even if I was hunting I wouldn't be walking around with one in the chamber so I can handle a light trigger, but I don't want it to be super touchy either. What I want is a good starting point. I was thinking 3.5 lbs, just because I see Timney AR triggers at 3 - 4 lbs.

I know it is a preference question, but if you have an adjustable trigger tell me where you set yours.

jimster716
02-19-2012, 5:55 PM
I set my Timney to about 2.7lbs for my Remy 700 and I like it. It's not anywhere near super touchy considering dedicated target Jewell trigger pulls are usually measured in ounces. IMO, I think 3.5 is on the heavy side for target but it's a matter of preference.

Irish Gunner
02-19-2012, 6:03 PM
Just shows my lack of knowledge here. I thought 3 was considered light.

SmokingSam
02-19-2012, 6:21 PM
I set my AR-15 and my Ar-10 Jewell triggers to 1.5 lb first stage and about 1.2 lb 2nd stage. It is all about personal preferences. This is for CMP type shooting and bench rest. I like the Jewell triggers because it is fully adjustable and no bending of springs is required.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
02-19-2012, 7:45 PM
you mention you may be hunting. The trigger sure feels lighter when your amped up. i say 3lb for ya

CSACANNONEER
02-19-2012, 7:52 PM
My benchrest 50BMGs have 1lb triggers just for safety reasons. I'd go lighter but the blast of neighboring 50's has been known to set off lighter triggers.

russ69
02-19-2012, 7:58 PM
Varmint guns are OK at 2.5 because you are usually shooting from a rested position but a dear gun should be closer to 3.5 pounds.