View Full Version : M&P Jammed

02-19-2012, 3:40 PM
Hi I was wondering if anybody has knows why a .40 s&w round would get suck halfway into the chamber. I admit the gun was dirty but this was very strange. I just shot a round when the gun went to cycle the new round in the chamber the round stopped half way in. it was stuck the whole gun was locked up. I had to pry the extraction arm off the round to free the slide from the round then pound the round out by sticking a rod down the barrel and hitting it after that it worked fine.

02-19-2012, 3:41 PM
Sound like a squib.

No / not enough powder in the cartridge.

02-19-2012, 3:41 PM
Sounds like a squib to me. It happens sometimes.

Unless you mean the round jammed halfway in while feeding, also a possible defect. Did you see that the cartridge was ok before putting it in the magazine?

02-19-2012, 3:57 PM
It was jammed going in. I did load it into the mag myself. I didnt notice anything wrong with the round. Im guessing the round was just to big around for some reason but Idk

02-19-2012, 4:23 PM
Sounds like a fat round. Reloads?

02-19-2012, 6:34 PM
I had that exact situation with my M&P 40 last week. Using Federal 180 gr FMJ in 100 round box from WalMart. Had to beat it out with a dowl. Round jammed almost all the way in, but not far enough to go to battery. Couldn't force in to battery.

After I pulled the bullet out, there were small metal shavings in the powder charge, but there was powder in the cartridge. Primer went bang when I hit it with a punch.

I have to assume a fat round as a number of rounds seated fine in the chamber without cleaning.

02-19-2012, 7:33 PM
Yes they were reloads..Thanks for the input everyone.. "fat loads " at least I know it happens and it was not an issue with my gun..

02-19-2012, 7:41 PM
Always inspect reloads more carefully than you would a factory round. Especially .40 rounds. It may have been a "glocked" round that wasn't run through a full-length resizer, and got stuck in your m&p's chamber.