PDA

View Full Version : Good home defense 380 ammo?

C3ncal559
02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Ill be picking up my first handgun soon and is wondering what's a good home defense round?
If you can help and supply this information I would greatly appreciate it.
-Manufacture
-qty.
- price

Thanks

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Good home defense 380 ammo? is there such a thing?

puropuro
02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Same as all other ammo....whatever consistently fires in your particular gun.
Try Hornady critical defense and see if that works....after that, learn to hit what you aim at....and with a .380, try to hit multiple times :)

WWDHD?
02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I have read some things on this subject that seam to make sense to me. I've read that for .380 a hot FMJ might be better than a JHP that might not expand due to low velocity from a short barrel usually found on .380s. So maybe finding a heavy FMJ with good velocity is the way to go.
Like the old saying goes: Hitting your target with a .380 is better than missing with a .44 Mag. Good luck.

Spirit 1
02-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Is there some reason you're limited to a .380?

Though I don't want to pile on you for caliber choice it seems at least a 9mm would be a better answer. The 9mm recoil is entirely manageable & is better than some .380 pistol/ammo combos deliver. There's a much large choice in ammo that is far more effective against an aggressor. 9mm ammo is normally much cheaper, even for premium stuff. I really can't see a good reason to limit yourself to .380 for home defense, or even for a carry weapon. There's several 9mm pistols that are light & very concealable for the latter choice. At most you might save $100 or so going .380 and to me the trade-offs aren't worth it. If you went with a CZ you can have a very affordable, high quality 9mm, close to .380 prices. I had to think twice & much more before I decided on even the 9mm in respect of adequate defensive weapons.

C3ncal559
02-19-2012, 1:00 PM
Hornady critical defense I look at I might go with those

Oceanbob
02-19-2012, 1:17 PM
Hornady critical defense I look at I might go with those

Please don't waste your money on a .380 for a first handgun..!!!!:facepalm:

Get a 9MM....in most cases .380 is WAY more expensive than 9. Also, most .380 platforms are BLOW BACK operated and actually have more recoil than 9MM running out of an articulating action.

9MM is very inexpensive and is really easy to shoot. 9MM offers several dozen more options in defensive ammo as well.

Get a 9 and don't even consider a .380

Be well, Bob

Oceanbob
02-19-2012, 1:19 PM
Ill be picking up my first handgun soon and is wondering what's a good home defense round?
If you can help and supply this information I would greatly appreciate it.
-Manufacture
-qty.
- price

Thanks

Here's your answer:

GLOCK

9MM

GLOCK 19 for around $500 off the classifieds.

The perfect all around handgun.

Bob

C3ncal559
02-19-2012, 1:23 PM
I got the bersa thunder 380 I was leaning toward a lc9 but it was really bad on back order because I seen the ad form my gun dealer for any 5 ruger model they bought they get the 6 on free so everyone jumped on that deal. So I got the bersa thunder 380 then when the lc9 are available I'll get that.

rudigan
02-19-2012, 1:31 PM
Don't worry about and/or get used to all the .380 haters.

Same as puropuro said above, find the one that works best in your gun.

FWIW my Kahr P.380 (not a blow back design), works flawless with Remington Golden Saber JHP 102gr. Also the Buffalo Bore JHP 90gr has yet to give it issues, but have not fired enough of them to be confident for SD/HD yet.

Shoot it a lot, and Enjoy your new gun!

ETA: Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger T, and a few others are also fine SD rounds.

Press Check
02-19-2012, 1:33 PM
For a 380, I'd go with Hornady Critical Defense, but then again, for a caliber that small, I'd probably go with ball ammunition.

C3ncal559
02-19-2012, 5:12 PM
Ball ammunition ? Is that the power ball? Has the polymer ball in the front?

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 5:19 PM
here why 380 sucks as a home defense round
380+P
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4733/380r.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/380r.png/)
9mm+P
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/356/9mmo.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/9mmo.png/)

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 5:21 PM
now let put in a round know for stopping power
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2768/10mm.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/10mm.png/)
By the way my Favorite round

2nd Shot
02-19-2012, 9:15 PM
ArmyMedicMoose - 1600 FPS with 124 grain 9mm? As a 9mm owner and 10mm hand loader, I find that hard to believe unless it's out of like, an AR carbine or something.

I bought a Bersa Thunder .380 mostly out of curiosity. It's a good little pistol, dead nuts reliable, and accurate enough to tap the 100 yard plate with (don't laugh, it's possible if you aim like, a foot high). The downside is that 7 rounds goes must faster than you realize, and with twice the muzzle energy of .22LR, you're going to need it. So fine, I figured it'd be a fun range gun, except that it's significantly more expensive than 9mm for less bullet, brass, and powder. Also being a straight blowback like most traditional .380's, the recoil is very snappy, and stings the hand a bit (your hand is the recoil buffer when the slide hits the frame).

In contrast, the G26 costs not a lot more, is as durable as an anvil, dead nuts reliable, and also will ring the 100 yard plate all day if you focus. 9mm is the cheapest combat proven pistol caliber you can buy, as well. It holds 10 rounds, and will readily take 15 and 17 round mags from its bigger brothers. If you can pick only one pistol, I'd seriously consider this option before going .380, as the .380 is neither cheaper to shoot, nor lighter recoiling.

2nd Shot
02-19-2012, 9:17 PM
Oh, and to answer your question, if I had only the .380 and had to use it to best effect against hostile attackers, I'd probably load it with Hornady Critical Defense. It falls just short of the 12" gelatin penetration the FBI wants, but probably offers the best balance of penetration, while actually giving any expansion. The poly nose resists clogging with clothing fibers, to boot. They fed and shot fine out of the aforementioned Bersa, but then again it'll eat anything you can stuff in the magazine.

Sturnovik
02-19-2012, 9:18 PM
Here's your answer:

GLOCK

9MM

GLOCK 19 for around $500 off the classifieds.

The perfect all around handgun.

Bob

I agree really.

I lean G17 but needless to say, .380 will in some guns kick more, is more expensive, and 9x19 more performance and capacity, theres no way around that. If this was a CW piece and its the only thing you feel comfortable with then thats that, but honestly Go 9mm minimum or .38 +P.

jlbflyboy172
02-19-2012, 9:30 PM
+100 for Hornady Critical Defense. I carry it in both my Glock 9mm and my Sig Sauer 380. Keep in mind, having any gun is better than no gun when you need one so don't get too hung up on what some say about your choice. Your 380 may be your first gun, but hopefully it won't be your last. Best of luck to you with it. Train often.

C3ncal559
02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the input and information , I can see how the blow back system does have more recoil, j just shot my buddy new ruger lcp he got n it kicked more then the glock 19 my uncle has.

chrisf
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

Code7inOaktown
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
now let put in a round know for stopping power
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2768/10mm.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/10mm.png/)
By the way my Favorite round

is the 10mm actually thought of as a round with a history of good stopping power against two legged creatures? I never thought good defensive rounds for it never fully developed after the FBI dumped it and the 40 Cal eclipsed it...

saki302
02-20-2012, 12:36 AM
10mm tends to overpenetrate. BADLY. It IS however an excellent hunting round, especially if you have a 6" barrel or long slide. Great pig gun.

For .380, I would load a couple JHP first (Hornady, buffalo bore- your pick), and use buffalo bore hard cast lead as the remaining shots in your magazine. If the JHP fails to stop, at least the hard cast FN will penetrate.

-Dave

ErikTheRed
02-20-2012, 2:05 AM
Here we go with all the .380 haters. Cracks me up. Let someone break into your house acting all afool and hit em in the chest a couple times with a .380 and see how they react. When they laugh it off and whoop your *** anyway, THEN come on and be a .380 hater. The guy just asked which ammo is best for personal defense and he gets hammered with ".380 sucks dude, its like a bb gun." Its almost hilarious. I carry a .380 and I feel quite adequate doing so. I used to have a .32 ACP and I felt ok with that, too. Maybe I should carry a bazooka..... because a bazooka is bigger? I carry a pistol for safety, but I don't carry it if its an uncomfortable pain in the butt. As soon as they make a 9mm or a .40 that packs as nicely and as easily as an LCP in my pocket, I'll look into it. Until then, I guess the bad guys will just have to deal with a few hits of Federal Hydra-Shock .380........ and something tells me they wouldn't like it very much. Pefectly lethal deterrent for the vast majority of situations.

PEZHEAD265
02-20-2012, 4:07 AM
I would find the HP round that works 100% in my gun [tested by shooting 250 rds] and alternate that with FMJ.The FMJ has better penetratration.The ballistics of the 380 is very similar as the 38 non +p and the 380 gives you more shots and quicker reloads.

bearstatearmory.com
02-20-2012, 7:32 AM
I have this in my 40 S & W for home defense purposes.

http://bearstatearmory.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=67738&ret_id=1234639

But I'm sure this would work nicely too:
http://bearstatearmory.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=13930&ret_id=1234639

shooterdude
02-20-2012, 7:47 AM
Using a Bersa Thunder to test Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTuXpFChsA

HTTuXpFChsA

BigDogatPlay
02-20-2012, 8:32 AM
Using a Bersa Thunder to test Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr

^^^^
Pretty much everything you need a defensive bullet to do right there. Thanks for posting that.

FWIW, I used a Sig P230 loaded with Hydro-Shock for many years as a BUG on the street. Never had any concerns it wouldn't take care of business.

RedFord150
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Buffalo Bore and Cor-Bon JHP are both good choices. Lots of other suggestions for Hornady, Speer, Remington, etc. are all worth considering.
Do some comparisons of your own and try the ones you like.
I own a Bersa Thunder myself and am very impressed with it. It is a shame that so many irrelevant replies came from 'experts' who have never even fired a .380...

Vanguard
02-20-2012, 12:15 PM
The best .380 home defense ammo is something in .45 caliber. :D

Just kidding...I'll second the Speer Gold Dot JHP

robert101
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Actually my first handgun was a 380 Browning DBA. Holds 13 rounds and is a very good self-defense gun. I purchased two Bersa Thunders for my daughters and have no hesitation about the 380 round or gun for convenience and adequate stopping power. Do I shoot other calibers? Yea, I love my 44 mag, 10MM, 40, etc. I use either Federal, Remington or Hornady bullets in FMJ. I did purchase a box of the Hornady Critical Defense rounds for all the guns as well.

wildhawker
02-20-2012, 1:23 PM

I think this pretty much sums it up.

-Brandon

JAGGUY
02-20-2012, 1:57 PM
Thanks for all the input and information , I can see how the blow back system does have more recoil, j just shot my buddy new ruger lcp he got n it kicked more then the glock 19 my uncle has.

Ah, Except the LCP isn't a blow back......

Andric
02-20-2012, 3:12 PM
Haters gotta hate.

I have a Bersa Thunder and love it, don't let people push you off. It was not my first pistol and is not my standby for home defense. I do like that you can carry concealed with very few layers and it's small enough that ladies at the range love to shoot.

For ammo I tried many differnt brands and the Thunder can be very picky. The best round I found was the Corbon DPX

AJD
02-20-2012, 4:39 PM
I posted this in the other .380 thread. It's Dr. Roberts take on the .380 and defensive ammo selection for it.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

Many small, easily concealed semi-automatic pistols which are recommended for law enforcement backup or concealed carry use fire .380 ACP or smaller bullets. While these small caliber handgun bullets can produce fatal wounds,they are less likely to produce the rapid incapacitation necessary in law enforcement or self-defense situations.

Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion. Stick with FMJ for .380 ACP or better yet, don't use it at all. The use of .380 ACP and smaller caliber weapons is really not recommended for LE use and many savvy agencies prohibit them.

geedavell
02-20-2012, 7:01 PM
I have a Colt Mustang and love that little gun. If I were just going out to shoot someone I'd take my 45. But for convenience, you can't beat the size of the 380.