PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Neos Carbine Kit

morrcarr67
02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I just picked up a Beretta Neos and started looking around for stuff to buy for it. I came across this Carbine Kit:

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/large/U22-NEOS-CARBINE-KIT-45.jpg

Beretta's website says:

The U22 Neos Carbine Kit adds another level of performance and modularity to the U22 Neos product line. The Kit allows the user to transform the pistol into a handy “plinker” carbine or lightweight “camp gun”.

The Kit may be disassembled for easy and compact transportation. The kit consists of a barrel/fore-end/top rail assembly and a stock unit that easily replaces the pistol’s barrel and grip using the supplied multi-purpose tool.
PISTOL SOLD SEPARATELY

A TRUGLO orange fiber optic front sight is standard, as well as a fully adjustable aperture rear sight, to provide fast target acquisition. Both sights are removable and replaceable. The barrel features a built-in machined aluminum Weaver-style rail that allows mounting of optics using standard mounts. The stock features a rubber butt plate, as well as attachment slots for future accessories. Every U22 Neos pistol and carbine may be accessorized with a complete line of products.

- Kit to convert your U22 Neos pistol into a light and compact carbine
- Kit includes barrel and stock assemblies and multi-purpose tool
- Aluminum Weaver-style top rail (0.78") allows mounting of optics
- Rubber butt plate
- TRUGLO orange fiber optic front sight, fully adjustable aperture rear sight
- Uses pistol’s magazine, slide and receiver assembly
- Now approved for sale in California

I just wanted to make sure it is OK here in CA.

ElvenSoul
02-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I think your covered :)

ElvenSoul
02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I wonder if it can take the abuse of Appleseed?

mallard
02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
the Neos is a POS. The external safety is total junk. I've had slamfires with mine , multiple times. The only time it's safe to put a round in the chamber with the neos when the muzzle is downrange. I would NEVER load this gun at home, in the car , ect. Only at a range with the muzzle facing downrange because i have experinced so many slam fires with it.

I would not invest any money into the neos for those reasons.

The neos is fun to shoot though, it never really jammed on me.

SouperMan
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Did you PPT the Neos? I had a friend who bought the carbine kit, but waiting a few months too late and the Neos went off-roster.

morrcarr67
02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
the Neos is a POS. The external safety is total junk. I've had slamfires with mine , multiple times. The only time it's safe to put a round in the chamber with the neos when the muzzle is downrange. I would NEVER load this gun at home, in the car , ect. Only at a range with the muzzle facing downrange because i have experinced so many slam fires with it.

I would not invest any money into the neos for those reasons.

The neos is fun to shoot though, it never really jammed on me.

You do know that there is a recall on this gun that addresses this issue?

http://www.berettasupport.com/neos/

Here is how to tell if your gun is affected by the recall.

http://www.berettasupport.com/neos/neos_identification.htm

morrcarr67
02-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I thought it would be OK for this I just wanted to see what others thought.

Peter.Steele
02-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Okay, how is this okay in California? Sure, you can possess the kit in California, but as soon as you've assembled it, it's got a pistol grip and a removable magazine. Shouldn't it require a BB, at a minimum?

bigcalidave
02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
It's a rimfire Peter. Can't be an AW rifle. It becomes a rifle, and can't go back to being a pistol, unless that changed recently (state v fed)

RugerFanRyan
02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Okay, how is this okay in California? Sure, you can possess the kit in California, but as soon as you've assembled it, it's got a pistol grip and a removable magazine. Shouldn't it require a BB, at a minimum?

Rimfire...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

morrcarr67
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
It's a rimfire Peter. Can't be an AW rifle. It becomes a rifle, and can't go back to being a pistol, unless that changed recently (state v fed)

Feds says it's OK. I haven't heard about the state saying that they agree. But I'm thinking Beretta has talked to the state about this because they are saying it's now OK for sale in CA.

Peter.Steele
02-19-2012, 1:01 PM
Ah, right, that's the rimfire. For some reason I was thinking of the Storm, not the Neos. Sorry!

CHS
02-19-2012, 1:39 PM
The feds say that it is now legal to convert a pistol to a legal rifle configuration and then back to a pistol configuration without violating the NFA.

California's definition of a rifle is almost identical to the Federal definition, and the BATFE used the TC Supreme Court case to come to their decision so it SHOULD be ok in California. At least, there's lots of legal precedent to back it up.

It is, however, untested with CA law.

samz4mc
08-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I've been wanting this kit for a while. I've searched for reviews (http://suburbansurvivalist.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/review-beretta-u22-neos-carbine-kit/) and old posts (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6352638#post6352638) on Calguns.

There seems to be a specific assembly/reassembly order for the kit. Can someone verify the correct order (below) as described on the review website? Is it truly even necessary?

"Here’s the pistol-to-rifle sequence: 1) pistol barrel comes off; 2) pistol grip comes off; 3) rifle stock goes onto receiver; 4) rifle barrel goes on. And the rifle-to-pistol sequence: a) rifle barrel comes off; b) rifle stock comes off; c) pistol grip goes on; d) pistol barrel goes on."

morrcarr67
08-14-2012, 6:15 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I've been wanting this kit for a while. I've searched for reviews (http://suburbansurvivalist.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/review-beretta-u22-neos-carbine-kit/) and old posts (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6352638#post6352638) on Calguns.

There seems to be a specific assembly/reassembly order for the kit. Can someone verify the correct order (below) as described on the review website? Is it truly even necessary?

"Here’s the pistol-to-rifle sequence: 1) pistol barrel comes off; 2) pistol grip comes off; 3) rifle stock goes onto receiver; 4) rifle barrel goes on. And the rifle-to-pistol sequence: a) rifle barrel comes off; b) rifle stock comes off; c) pistol grip goes on; d) pistol barrel goes on."

That seems to be the correct order.

Not sure what you mean by your last question.

samz4mc
08-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Let me rephrase and ask another question.

Is it truly even necessary to assemble/reassemble in that specific sequence? Does Beretta provide this detail in their instruction manual? I haven't purchased the kit yet nor have I seen the manual, so I thougt I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

Decoligny
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Let me rephrase and ask another question.

Is it truly even necessary to assemble/reassemble in that specific sequence? Does Beretta provide this detail in their instruction manual? I haven't purchased the kit yet nor have I seen the manual, so I thougt I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

It is indeed necessary to ensure that you don't violate the law.

From Pistol to Rifle: If you were to remove the pistol grip first, and then attach the stock, you would have just built an illegal short barrelled rifle, even if it were just for the few moments until you removed the pistol barrel and attached the rifle barrel.

From Rifle to Pistol: If you were to remove the stock, and the gun was still fireable with the rifle barrel attached but without the stock, you would not meet the minimum overall length requirement for a legal rifle and again would be violating the law even if just for the few moments until you removed the barrel.

Sure, it is a technicality, but it is a technicality that could result in Federal charges.

By removing the barrel first in each sequence, you have created a receiver with either a pistol grip, or a rifle stock, neither of which are illegal.

This is a similar situation to the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle. If you attach the barrel to the receiver, it can be fired without the stock attached. This is an illegal configuration. You need to attach the stock to the receiver, and then attach the rifle barrel. Need to disassemble in reverse.

samz4mc
08-14-2012, 1:30 PM
It is indeed necessary to ensure that you don't violate the law.

From Pistol to Rifle: If you were to remove the pistol grip first, and then attach the stock, you would have just built an illegal short barrelled rifle, even if it were just for the few moments until you removed the pistol barrel and attached the rifle barrel.

From Rifle to Pistol: If you were to remove the stock, and the gun was still fireable with the rifle barrel attached but without the stock, you would not meet the minimum overall length requirement for a legal rifle and again would be violating the law even if just for the few moments until you removed the barrel.

Sure, it is a technicality, but it is a technicality that could result in Federal charges.

By removing the barrel first in each sequence, you have created a receiver with either a pistol grip, or a rifle stock, neither of which are illegal.

This is a similar situation to the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle. If you attach the rifle to the receiver, it can be fired without the stock attached. This is an illegal configuration. You need to attach the stock to the receiver, and then attach the rifle barrel.

Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.