PDA

View Full Version : Why are used guns so expensive?

Chiuchimu
02-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I keep reading about people getting deals on used guns in excellent condition. Things like "bought a virtually new CZ 75 for $300" or " got my Glock 17 used for $300".

I've been looking thru Gunbrokers.com and other sites including the PPT on this site. What I see is the used guns are almost the same price as new guns.
Say:

new CZ 75 at budsgunshop on sale $450
used CZ 75 gunbroker $400

new Ruger p95 online $300
used Ruger P95 this site $300 (it sold!)

smrtprts
02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I have had little luck in the marketplaces also. Lots of buyers ask msrp but there are always good deals to be had. Just be patient and you will eventually get a deal.

ElvenSoul
02-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Try a gun range.

SocomM4
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Negotiate. River city has awesome deals on agency trade ins. Glock sig berretta all for around 325ish.

STROLLER
02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I sold my P95 in this marketplace for 250.00 with 4 mags and a serpa holster. Deal can be had you have to be quick.
Not everyone asks MSRP on there stuff.
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

Fishslayer
02-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Gotta remember. A lot of those Gunbroker sellers won't ship ANYTHING to Kalifornistan.

Also we don't usually have guns in pawn shops or box stores.

High demand - Competition = Higher prices.

That's not even taking the roster into consideration. Hang out on S&W forums & see what older revolvers are going for in the free states :banghead:

Databyter
02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Just have to keep your eyes open. Yea there are a lot of generic used deals out there that are basically msrp. It is a business and apparently people buy that stuff.

But you can find good deals occasionally from a private party, and a lot of times there are upgrades or accessories that you would not get with a new gun.

DVSmith
02-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Some sellers are bundling holsters/mags and other stuff, which I usually could care less about. But if they sell, then that is what they are worth in the marketplace!

Ripon83
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I could be wrong, but I think there are some " home " dealers that will snag a great deal the second it comes up, or bid an auction site item up to the point where the next bid isn't a great deal. They then flip them and make a few dollars cause most of the offers on the forum are for top dollar. They ask the same as new because there is no sales tax, PPT fees are less then what dealers demand on mail order shops, and sometimes they add a magazine,scope, or other accessories. A good deal on the classifieds here might be on there 5 minutes before I'll take it pops up.

I buy ammo and guns there, but rarely with a huge bargain. My last buy a 10/22, nice shape, case, scope, and important to me 6 magazines for 225. New that would be $300 easy with fees, new magazines, and the rest. Did cost me $25 in gas too.

Kali-Jax
02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
The good deals get snapped up real quick. 1 - 5 minutes after the post.

aermotor
02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Because people are delusional.

jtrem
02-19-2012, 1:09 PM
I admit some of the prices people ask on here are outrageous. But, some are pretty good. Some people ask what I can walk into a gun store and buy it new for.

However, I usually only like to buy PPT now to save on taxes. If I buy a gun for $500 PPT it costs me $535 with DROS. If I go to a gun store buy new its costing me DROS fee plus taxes.

theduece
02-19-2012, 2:09 PM
Totally agree that a good deal can be found. They are not the norm though. Find a good ffl and mail order for the best price.

O and as a side note, if you think used firearms are expensive..... Go look at reloading gear. More specifically Dillon stuff. Used it goes for anywhere between 90-110% of retail.

Hilldweller
02-19-2012, 2:34 PM
When I decided to sell my guns I went to most of the auction sites and chat rooms to see what the value would be. A realistic value that is. I have definitely noticed that there are lots of folks out there who list their guns on Gunbroker for outrageous prices. I also (gladly) see that most of them get no bids. I do however see some that get a bite; and I think that's exactly what they're looking for. You know...."there's one born every minute" types. If someone's willing to pay....what the heck! I've considered listing my Jennings .22 for $1,500.00 just to see if someone will pony up !

There are lots of sites out there. If you're looking for a particular gun there's probably a few sites dedicated to it. Check them out and look to see if they have a classifieds area. As others have said, good deals go quick; so be prepared to recognize a good deal and jump on it.

w55
02-19-2012, 4:03 PM
Good deals go fast. Half the time its just luck.

G60
02-19-2012, 4:16 PM
Guns don't depreciate like cars do.

I will agree some people ask high prices for their guns, but it is an asking price after all. I always ask 10-20% more than what I want to get, and accept some bargaining on that.

If you want to sell something for $400, ask $450 and you'll get a bunch of offers for $400. If you started out asking $400, you'd get a bunch of $350 offers before someone offered you the $400 you wanted.

Merc1138
02-19-2012, 4:22 PM
I keep reading about people getting deals on used guns in excellent condition. Things like "bought a virtually new CZ 75 for $300" or " got my Glock 17 used for $300".

I've been looking thru Gunbrokers.com and other sites including the PPT on this site. What I see is the used guns are almost the same price as new guns.
Say:

OK, first off, your online prices aren't taking a few things into account. That new ruger p95 online is going to be more like $300+$25 DROS+$50 FFL transfer fee + sales tax. It's going to be closer to $400 by the time you get it, not including shipping.

Second, deals can indeed be had used, you just need to keep looking. If you decide you want a used Ruger P95 today, it doesn't mean you're going to find a great deal on one today, or even this week.

Third, people can price things however they want. The better deals go quicker(I've seen guns get sold on calguns within 10 minutes after being posted and 10 people all claiming "next in line"). The not so great deals stay up longer, and those people obviously aren't interested in a quick sale. You don't have to buy from them if you don't want to.

Fourth, I don't know about the specific used $300 p95 you saw, but quite often I see listings that are close to retail but include extra magazines, holsters, etc. that you wouldn't get for that same price if you bought it new.

toby
02-19-2012, 4:32 PM
Also if you buy something from me, weeeellllll........... it used to be mine! so thats gotta be worth something extra, I would think?........:cool:

Bowhunter_619
02-19-2012, 4:34 PM
Some prices are near retail= ignore them if you don't like.

I have found some good deals in the marketplace; 2 weeks ago I picked up a Sig sp2022 for $320 with less than 200 rounds through it, previously picked up a Savage 93R17GV with scope and case for $200, and a Remington 721 30-06 with old Bausch & Lomb scope for $300.

Like others have said, there are deals to be had but you have to be patient and search around.

my .02

Steve1968LS2
02-19-2012, 6:09 PM
The deals are there.. but you have to be fast.. also, lately even if you're first to jump on a deal the new trick is people PM higher offers tot he seller so it turns into eBay.

But they are out there if you are persistent and patient.

winnre
02-19-2012, 6:18 PM
Deals abound, like a S&W 686 6" for $499 right now at Turner's. But they go FAST. It is very rare that I am online when a great deal posts. But I feel your pain, it seems that guns lose less than 5% when resold, especially if they are a great brand. When you buy P2P you save on sales tax which helps. If a new gun is $1200 and a used one is $1100, I'll get the new one every time.

So, just buy new and be glad that you have a real investment there.

westcoast362
02-19-2012, 7:02 PM
There are some guns where the older guns are more desirable. Examples being Colt 1911's, S&W revolvers, just to name a couple. There prices used are higher than new in many cases.

RandyD
02-19-2012, 7:35 PM
I have witnessed sellers, sell guns to a gunstores, and I have been surprised at the prices they will accept. The deals are out there, some gun owners need money quickly and you have to be in the right place at the right time. Ten years ago, I bought a Ruger 10-22 for $80.00.

sanjosebmx
02-19-2012, 7:44 PM
most of the clean, used guns I see have a pretty low round count... I mean a gun with 1000 rounds through it is basically new, especially since most (handguns especially) are pretty much 'safe queens'. Not like a hunting gun, been dragged through the elements etc.

bill_k_lopez
02-19-2012, 7:58 PM
Deals abound in the forum, you have to look for them and be flexible. Never start out looking for that ONE gun, you'll never find it. Right after you buy it 10 people will be selling it for $50 _less.

amtz.zero
02-20-2012, 9:37 AM

Say:

There's someone on here trying to sell a used p95 for $345! Been trying to sell it for months.

Turbinator
02-20-2012, 10:46 AM

You've essentially answered your own question. Prices are high because people will pay them. If there are no takers, the laws of supply and demand will dictate the pricing. Sellers can still ask for insane amounts, but no one will bite. That's just how it works.

Turby

Baconator
02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
If you list a gun for the lowest you will take for it then you really don't know anything about negotiations.

The War Wagon
02-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Because Der Kommissar Obamassar is 1/2 of the Presidential field this fall.

Are you familiar with "Eric Holder," perchance? :eek:

ubet
02-21-2012, 7:43 AM
In Nov their was a springfield loaded <800rds, mags, upgrades, holster, and a wilson combat barrel <100rds FOR $650! I emailed it to my wife she was wanting to know what to get me for Christmas, I got a small freezer instead..... :(

zfields
02-21-2012, 9:46 AM
Said this before when threads popped up.

Its so guys can show their wives that they are trying to sell it, not because they want to.

Mr. Beretta
02-21-2012, 9:57 AM
If you think used gun prices are high now....wait till November! :eek:

Fishslayer
02-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Said this before when threads popped up.
Its so guys can show their wives that they are trying to sell it, not because they want to.

IMO you are probably spot on... ;)

ubet
02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
not to hijack, but why the hell do so many on here refuse to ship? Shipping firearms is easy, go to ups store, get box, insert gun in box, put label on box, pay for shipping and inusrance, leave. No problems but no one on here seems to be willing to ship guns, they all want to meet you somewhere.

Fishslayer
02-22-2012, 11:50 PM
The deals are there.. but you have to be fast.. also, lately even if you're first to jump on a deal the new trick is people PM higher offers tot he seller so it turns into eBay.

No no no! That's not so. Some sellers told me so.:rolleyes:

Deucer
02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Here's why:

Dealer Price (new or used): Gun price + tax (in SF it's 8.5%, I'll use that. Some cities are at 9.25%) + $25 DROS. So on a $1000 gun, tital cost is $1110

Online Dealer Price: Gun price + Shipping (say $20) + tax (charged by the receiving FFL) + FFL Transfer Fee (Can be anything, but average $75) + $25 DROS. So on that same $1000 gun your cost is $1205

PPT price: Gun price + $10 PPT fee (can't legally charge more)+ $25 DROS. Total cost: $1035.

Because tax is a % of the purchase price, it doesn't really scale this way exactly, but a dealer would have to offer the same gun at ~$90 less and the online price would have to be ~$180 less.

In other words, say I'm a guy who wants a 1911. I see a new one at the dealer and a very lightly used model on the sales forum. They are both the same price. In real money terms, the sales forum model is going to set me back $90 less. If I find a used model for $100 less than new, at the end of the day I'm saving almost 20% on the purchase.

TNP'R
02-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I forgot dros was 25 bucks here I only have to pay 10 for dros.

Rebellious
02-23-2012, 2:49 AM
Just be patient. I got a killer deal on a used gun here. Remember timing is everything.

joefrank64k
02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
I think guys who've bought from me recently would disagree that there are no deals! :D

There are plenty of great deals...you just have to be QUICK! Example: I JUST missed a LNIB S&W .500 for $750 about a month ago. And JUST missed a LNIB S&W .460 w/FOURTEEN boxes of Hornady .460 ammo for $1,100. And JUST missed...well, you get the idea (and I'm starting to get depressed! :)).

Don't give up, there are great deals to be had!

boamedt
02-23-2012, 1:50 PM
there is a guy trying to sell his saw conversion 22 since b4 christmas, hasnt come down on the price at all....still for sale

robcoe
02-23-2012, 1:56 PM

Say:

Factor in that you have to pay tax on a new gun(so +8% of the price) plus many if not most FFLs charge $75-100 to receive a gun from out of state(on top of the $35 for dros). Add those costs in and those online "deals" don't look as good, plus a lot of people simply wont sell to someone in California.

really the central reason people sell used guns at near new prices(I usually knock off 20% if the gun is common and in good condition, 10% if it's hard to find) is that people pay them.

stix213
02-23-2012, 1:59 PM
Some people exaggerate about the deal they got. Some people get lucky. The real deals in the private party sales forum do occasionally materialize, but usually have an "I'll Take It" followed by another 4 people next in line before I even finish reading the description.

q3131a
02-23-2012, 3:25 PM
To leave room for "haggling"....

Southbay
02-23-2012, 5:58 PM
Here's why:

Dealer Price (new or used): Gun price + tax (in SF it's 8.5%, I'll use that. Some cities are at 9.25%) + $25 DROS. So on a $1000 gun, tital cost is $1110

Online Dealer Price: Gun price + Shipping (say $20) + tax (charged by the receiving FFL) + FFL Transfer Fee (Can be anything, but average $75) + $25 DROS. So on that same $1000 gun your cost is $1205

PPT price: Gun price + $10 PPT fee (can't legally charge more)+ $25 DROS. Total cost: $1035.

Because tax is a % of the purchase price, it doesn't really scale this way exactly, but a dealer would have to offer the same gun at ~$90 less and the online price would have to be ~$180 less.

In other words, say I'm a guy who wants a 1911. I see a new one at the dealer and a very lightly used model on the sales forum. They are both the same price. In real money terms, the sales forum model is going to set me back $90 less. If I find a used model for $100 less than new, at the end of the day I'm saving almost 20% on the purchase.

By law you are required to pay sales tax new or used.

alfred1222
02-23-2012, 6:30 PM
It helps if you have a budget for guns and than you just keep checking for new posts in the for sale forum. that way, as soon as something comes up, jump on it. also, it helps to negotiate, but not to lowball. like try to see if the seller will lower the price, and if not, try to work in a few boxes of ammo for the gun at no extra charge.

Deucer
02-24-2012, 12:46 AM
By law you are required to pay sales tax new or used.

I agree that whether the gun is new or used doesn't matter as far as tax is concerned.

However, if we are referring to an "occasional" private party sale (safe assumption on a PPT) no tax is owed. See below.

In the other two calculations I included tax.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub61.pdf

http://law.onecle.com/california/taxation/6006.5.html

OCCASIONAL SALES—A sale by (and purchase from) a person who is not engaged in a business requiring a seller’s permit is exempt from sales and use taxes. These types of sales are “occasional” sales (some states have similar exemptions for “casual” sales). Generally, a person who makes three or more sales for substantial amounts in any period of 12 months is required to hold a seller’s permit. A person who makes a substantial number of sales for relatively small amounts is also required to hold a seller’s permit. (The 12 month test period can be the 12 months before the sale in question, the 12 months after the sale in question, or any other 12 month period in which the sale occurs.) A person holding two garage sales with no other sales in any 12 month period in which the garage sales are held are regarded as making exempt occasional sales. A business that is not required to hold a seller’s permit would be making an occasional sale when making a single sale of its assets upon termination of its business. Such persons should be aware that making two or three sales in anticipation of final liquidation will generally result in all the sales being subject to sales tax.

drkphibr
02-24-2012, 8:12 AM
Supply and demand and the fact we live in CA (DOJ roster limitations) impacts both of those variables to a great degree. Throw a nice, vintage well cared for firearm in the mix and all bets are off. It's not necessarily what something is worth, it's what someone is willing to pay at any one point in time.

gunafficionado
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
If handgun is off-roster, then supply will dictate price. This usually means high prices.

Sellers will try to recoup as much of their initial financial outlay as they can. It's up to the buyers to do their homework.

duc748bip
02-28-2012, 5:42 PM
Best deal i got on handgun was a new Smith and Wesson M908 at $299 and i sold it a year later for $250, on firingrange bullentin board (damn'it I think i'm part of the problem here :( )