PDA

View Full Version : Proper barrel break-in?

Pow221
02-19-2012, 7:53 AM
I will be breaking in a remington 700p on saturday. It seems that there is a wide range of break in theories. Any suggestions as this is my first brand new rifle. Any thoughts on boresnakes? Solvents?

bearstatearmory.com
02-19-2012, 8:23 AM
Alot of people have different theories but the way that I did it was take a shot and clean, take two shots and clean, three shots and did that until I have ran a total of 10 rounds through my rifle. Good or bad, that what I chose to do. What caliber did you get?

Pow221
02-19-2012, 8:28 AM
yeah that would help. Its a .308

707electrician
02-19-2012, 8:37 AM
Just shoot it

kendog4570
02-19-2012, 8:47 AM
Just shoot it

This.

M_lizar
02-19-2012, 8:51 AM
The proper way to break in a barrel is, buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the piss out of it.

kendog4570
02-19-2012, 8:56 AM
The proper way to break in a barrel is, buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the piss out of it.

This too!

CHS
02-19-2012, 9:29 AM
There is ZERO scientific evidence that the classic "shoot-clean-shoot-clean" type of barrel break in accomplishes ANYTHING other than wasting time and money.

The first 20-100 or so rounds will slowly polish away the factory tooling marks in the barrel, leading to the best accuracy. This is what "breaking in" does. But there's no reason to perform a strange shoot, clean, shoot, clean ritual. It accomplishes nothing.

Shoot your gun. Don't expect the best accuracy until you have anywhere between 20 and 100 rounds through it. Clean it when groups start opening up.

kendog4570
02-19-2012, 9:34 AM
The absolute, hands down best way to break in your rifle/barrel is to enter a local match (ANY match) and shoot the course of fire. When the day is done, she broke in!
AND you'll have a ton of new pals to shoot with.

Works every time.:)

daveinwoodland
02-19-2012, 9:36 AM
This question comes up enough it should qualify for a stickey.

Llengih
02-19-2012, 9:38 AM
Isn't there evidence suggesting that the more you shove cleaning equipment down your barrel the more it shortens the life of your barrel? I thought I remembered reading something about that a while back.

There is ZERO scientific evidence that the classic "shoot-clean-shoot-clean" type of barrel break in accomplishes ANYTHING other than wasting time and money.

The first 20-100 or so rounds will slowly polish away the factory tooling marks in the barrel, leading to the best accuracy. This is what "breaking in" does. But there's no reason to perform a strange shoot, clean, shoot, clean ritual. It accomplishes nothing.

Shoot your gun. Don't expect the best accuracy until you have anywhere between 20 and 100 rounds through it. Clean it when groups start opening up.

hmhoshino
02-19-2012, 9:40 AM
Just because they test fired it at the factory, doesn't mean you don't have to clean the barrel throughly before firing and the lube it. The are so many guys that come into the local gun shop wondering why the "brand new gun" has a problem firing. The first thing the ask is did you do any maintenance before firing, what do you think their answer is, "NO". Like a through cleaning an lube before firing. You have to make sure the barrel is clean and dry.

Get good bore guide and a Dewey cleaning rod for your rifle. I already have one for my new GAP Crusader build, that I hope will come real soon. I will use GA Precision break in procedure for their rifles and it is on their web site. You will find good info there.

My 2 cents

tuna quesadilla
02-19-2012, 9:43 AM
Don't listen to the people in this thread. THIS is the proper way to break in a barrel. John at 8541 Tactical is extremely knowledgeable and you must follow this break-in process step by step in order to get the best results from your barrel.

f_LvPjreNjg

-hanko
02-19-2012, 10:12 AM
This question comes up enough it should qualify for a stickey.
This is Sunday, that's when the break-in jive gets posted. Plus google appears to be a lost art here

Isn't there evidence suggesting that the more you shove cleaning equipment down your barrel the more it shortens the life of your barrel? I thought I remembered reading something about that a while back.
You shove it UP the barrel from where the bolt thing goes onto the rifle;)

Just because they test fired it at the factory, doesn't mean you don't have to clean the barrel throughly before firing and the lube it. The are so many guys that come into the local gun shop wondering why the "brand new gun" has a problem firing. The first thing the ask is did you do any maintenance before firing, what do you think their answer is, "NO". Like a through cleaning an lube before firing. You have to make sure the barrel is clean and dry.

Get good bore guide and a Dewey cleaning rod for your rifle. I already have one for my new GAP Crusader build, that I hope will come real soon. I will use GA Precision break in procedure for their rifles and it is on their web site. You will find good info there.

My 2 cents
/Thread. Clean it and shoot the hell out of it. Clean again when you get home. Use a little wheel bearing grease on the bolt lugs, just a little.

hth

-hanko

CHS
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM

If you're not careful when cleaning, you can screw up the crown of the barrel, which can and will deteriorate accuracy. That doesn't necessarily shorten the life of your barrel.

There are many more variables at play for shortening the barrel life such as what cartridge you're shooting, volume of fire, heat, etc..

bearstatearmory.com
02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
When I "broke in" my AR, I pretty much just shot the hell out of it, so who knows!

M_lizar
02-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Shot the hell out of my ar when I first got it. Still dead on accurate.

NewbieDave
02-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Barrel Break-In (http://youtu.be/TRRahHX9Zkg)
Got to learn how to embed Youtube :oP

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
its just a myth

DiscoBayJoe
02-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Barrel Break-In (http://youtu.be/TRRahHX9Zkg)
Got to learn how to embed Youtube :oP

You beat me to it. Here's the embed

TRRahHX9Zkg

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I was once a barrel break in nazi. but 5 long range rifle later and a few barrel replacements and I have found on a GOOD RIFLE/BARREL it doesn't help. I run a 6.5-284 norma with a barrel life of around 800-1000 rounds why waste the time and the round with such a sort barrel life. My remy 700 in 6.5-284norma with a 30" Kreiger barrel a .25 moa gun without a break in

mod1217
02-19-2012, 3:26 PM
Here is how I break in a new barrel

First: Before going to the range clean the barrel up making sure you lube and dry the inside of the barrel then at the range shoot it till you ran out of ammo or reach 100 rounds.

Second: After shooting, clean the barrel with a good solvent ( this is the only time I will use solvent on my barrell till it shoot at least 800 rounds or till my groups started to open up again) and then lube it again with CLP or RemOil.

I notice that using solvent on a barrel tend to open up your group everytime you use it so I just oil clean and wipe dry my barrel after every range use.

Merc1138
02-19-2012, 3:40 PM
Here is how I break in a new barrel

First: Before going to the range clean the barrel up making sure you lube and dry the inside of the barrel then at the range shoot it till you ran out of ammo or reach 100 rounds.

Second: After shooting, clean the barrel with a good solvent ( this is the only time I will use solvent on my barrell till it shoot at least 800 rounds or till my groups started to open up again) and then lube it again with CLP or RemOil.

I notice that using solvent on a barrel tend to open up your group everytime you use it so I just oil clean and wipe dry my barrel after every range use.

And here is why your groups change when you use solvent
SICfh6iYkpQ

mod1217
02-19-2012, 3:51 PM
And here is why your groups change when you use solvent
SICfh6iYkpQ

Oh wow thanks I always taught that it's just me and how I take care of my barrell thats causing this, now i know there is truth in what I observe. :)

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 3:55 PM
I never clean my barrels just a quick dry patch down the barrel to free the lose carbon then some oil to store it...

1859sharps
02-19-2012, 6:01 PM
ah...does the heart good to see a myth such as barrel break in finally dieing.

if you have to break in your barrel, you didn't buy one worth buying and/or you bought from someone who wants to sell more barrels.

if you google around you can find an old thread that was I want to say on sniper's hid, but don't remember for sure. But what I do remember 100% for sure it the post was from a well known barrel maker saying the myth got started by another barrel maker who wanted to sell more barrels.

The whole process of shoot one, clean, shoot one clean, and so one...just wears the barrel out sooner and or increases the odds you will prematurely damage the barrel.

Then there is the whole chrome lined barrels like on an AR...what part of chromed did we all miss back in the day. again, myth.

Just shoot your rifle and enjoy. if you have spent money on a super nice match rifle, watch the rapid fire and extend the life of your barrel by not regularly over heating the throat.

beyond that, shoot and enjoy...repeat as often as the budget allows.

Richard Erichsen
02-20-2012, 8:03 AM
I will be breaking in a remington 700p on saturday. It seems that there is a wide range of break in theories. Any suggestions as this is my first brand new rifle. Any thoughts on boresnakes? Solvents?

Whether I agree with some of the recommendations or not, follow the procedure provided by your barrel manufacturer or the rifle manufacturer, in your case Remington.

Boresnakes are one of the better field expedient solutions available and do a good enough job for most purposes. Some still prefer the stiff bristle brushes and patches for more detailed cleaning on occasion, used with the traditional cleaning rod and a bore guide, regardless of the material of the rod itself (the carbon fiber, bronze and aluminum ones are the most common). Any good solvent suitable for propellent deposits and copper, or two separate concoctions used in turn will get the job done.

With high quality barrels that have been carefully polished and hand lapped, no special break in period is required and it is ready to use immediately. Once again, your barrel/rifle manufacturer will provide guidance on what is required for your warranty.

R

TNP'R
02-20-2012, 8:19 AM
What I do is clean it and lube it. I mainly clean it to get all the oil out of it that came from the factory so I can oil it the way I want it and that way I know its ready then I put 100 yards in it at-least.