PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American Rifle

DMorris2321
02-19-2012, 8:33 AM
I'm a noob and I've gotten into shooting since last July. I was thinking about getting a rifle for possible hunting and long distance range shooting. I was pretty set on a Remington 700 but saw the Ruger American Rifle and thought maybe I should start out with a rifle like this. So basically I have two questions should I give the ruger a shot or save more for the Remington 700, second should I go .308 or 30-06, if I go Remington throw 300 win mag into the mix.

Also my current guns are:

.357 ruger 3 screw blackhawk
Ar-15
Remington 870 express
XD40 4"
Ruger 10/22

toby
02-19-2012, 8:44 AM
I would skip on the new Ruger till it's proven a bit, it looks to be a random slap together from various parts of others. I'm not a Remington fan so I'll refrain on that one.

Bartin
02-19-2012, 8:59 AM
Ruger is brand new so unproven but reviews seem ok. It's definitely aimed at a price point though and if you are looking for that it's fine but if you can I would save up a bit more and take a look at a Tikka T3. That's a pretty nice collection for 6 months of being into shooting, looks like you've pretty much got your bases covered. You could stand to pick up a 91/30 though...

DMorris2321
02-19-2012, 9:31 AM
Ruger is brand new so unproven but reviews seem ok. It's definitely aimed at a price point though and if you are looking for that it's fine but if you can I would save up a bit more and take a look at a Tikka T3. That's a pretty nice collection for 6 months of being into shooting, looks like you've pretty much got your bases covered. You could stand to pick up a 91/30 though...

Thanks, I got the Blackhawk 2 years ago when my grandfather passed away but then in July I talked my wife into letting me build an Ar and it took off from there. I'll check out the Tikka and a Mosin is on my list for this year, this is what is on my list:
1. Mosin Nagant
2. .308, 30-06, or 300 win mag
3. SA 1911 TRP ( this is my real #1 but I put them in the order of most likely happening soonest)

Speedpower
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I would say that the Ruger American Rifle is more of a hunting rifle, if you want a range rifle buy the Remington SPS TACTICAL 700, go .308 on both!

Go Navy
02-19-2012, 3:14 PM
You should take a serious look at the Savage bolt action rifles. They're very accurate and priced really well for what you get. I have a Savage American classic in .243 (see attached picture) and it's great. Check out Savage's available Accu-stock, too. Another thing I like about Savages is that they have a detachable box magazine (some other brands do, too, but not all).

As to caliber, if you are a noob, my sincere advice is to stay away from all of the magnum calibers and don't go any higher than .308/7.62 NATO which is a great all around caliber; I wouldn't even go to .30-06 (and I'll get trashed for saying that).

.243 or 6mm are great flat shooting accurate calibers for range work, or up to deer sized game. Don't rule out .223 or .270 either. Just don't buy a magnum. It'll beat up your wallet and your shoulder. Don't get a barrel too short for whatever caliber you choose.

Peter.Steele
02-19-2012, 3:25 PM
+1 for Savage, +1 for no magnums and staying <.30-06.

I'll even go further on that one, and say stick with .308 or .223. Those are the most readily available and generally the least expensive. You'll spend the most trigger time with a weapon that you can afford to feed.

Savage with the Accutrigger is phenomenal. Also take a look at the Howa 1500.

Merc1138
02-19-2012, 3:26 PM
There are plenty of other bolt action rifles with similar(or better) features that don't cost much more, but are proven to work well(Savage, Tikka, Howa, Weatherby, etc.). I don't see the point in plopping down the cash on a new to market unproven design when there are so many other great options, only to risk getting stuck with something that may turn out to be kinda crap.

Fjold
02-19-2012, 3:31 PM
I love magnums for specific purposes but I don't have any for target shooting.

mtwelve
02-19-2012, 6:41 PM
The Ruger American Rifle is currently on sale at Turners for $359 and they are taking orders. http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

There is a nice review on the rifle at Gun Blast. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

Sure it is new and has no track record but I think (yes think) it will prove to be a fine rifle. Will be placing my order for one in 270 on Tuesday. No telling how long I will have to wait...

It's an entry level rifle with some nice features just like some others in this price range. Ultimately it is your gun and your decision. Do what makes you happy. I am.

DMorris2321
02-20-2012, 12:50 AM
The Ruger American Rifle is currently on sale at Turners for $359 and they are taking orders. http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

There is a nice review on the rifle at Gun Blast. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

Sure it is new and has no track record but I think (yes think) it will prove to be a fine rifle. Will be placing my order for one in 270 on Tuesday. No telling how long I will have to wait...

It's an entry level rifle with some nice features just like some others in this price range. Ultimately it is your gun and your decision. Do what makes you happy. I am.

Yeah the Turner sale is why I wa thinking of the Ruger. Im thinking I'm going to wait though an do some more research, I'm sure they will do the sale again sometime this year if I decide to go that route.

seal20
02-20-2012, 4:18 AM
Turners in Orange has a 30- 06 with the .308 being available in the 2-4 week range. The ruger felt solid compared to a savage axis, the only part I am hesitant about is the detachable box is all plastic. However that may make the spares available at a reasonable price!

garplay
02-20-2012, 7:44 AM
I'm on the list at the LGS to get one myself, as my first deer rifle, in .308. Here's why.

Its an Unproven design but

a) Ruger, despite (or perhaps because) they state they have no actual warrantee, has a very good reputation for standing behind their products.

b) All the design components are not new, but poached from the higher-end bolt-action designs (70* bolt throw, stock bedding system, blade-trigger etc). So its a new implementation, but the components of the design are all in the 'proven tested' category.

These are features that I want, and nothing else in the price range includes these features.

But because Ruger doesn't have an existing "Low cost bolt-action deer rifle" to compete with, and being a deer rifle, it has a lighter barrel, so it won't compete with their existing long-range "precision shooting" rifles, they could add the higher-end features to the low-end rifle.

Because, simply put, most of these "High end" features don't actually cost much money, but they do shift sales from the more expensive rifles. (EG, why doesn't Savage have an Accutrigger and Accustock on ALL their bolt-action rifles? Because then the low end would poach the high end).

Also, its actually pretty clear why the new Ruger inexpensive: There's no choices, and no variety: One stock (probably the same for ALL models), one barrel weight (light), two action lengths, 4 chamberings, right hand only, no sights.

And its optimized for one thing: hunting (choice of stock, weight, calibers, etc are all 'hunting centric'). So it is clearly cutting corners to get the price, but its, IMO cutting the RIGHT corners to get the price given its intended use.

So my take? I'm getting one as a hunting rifle. I will post a review when it arrives.

If you are looking for a first hunting rifle, and in a hurry, and wanting to save $30, I'd sign up and get it. But you might want to wait (since it would only cost you $30), if you aren't quite as feature-obsessesed as I am.

But if the goal is "Long range precision shooting", I'd probably wait and look at something with a less optimized-for-low-weight design. Weight in a rifle is an enemy to the hunter, dragging it over hill and dale. Weight is the friend to the precision shooter....

TNP'R
02-20-2012, 7:46 AM
You can't go wrong with Savage.

DMorris2321
02-20-2012, 9:34 AM
I'm on the list at the LGS to get one myself, as my first deer rifle, in .308. Here's why.

a) Ruger, despite (or perhaps because) they state they have no actual warrantee, has a very good reputation for standing behind their products.

b) All the design components are not new, but poached from the higher-end bolt-action designs (70* bolt throw, stock bedding system, blade-trigger etc). So its a new implementation, but the components of the design are all in the 'proven tested' category.

These are features that I want, and nothing else in the price range includes these features.

But because Ruger doesn't have an existing "Low cost bolt-action deer rifle" to compete with, and being a deer rifle, it has a lighter barrel, so it won't compete with their existing long-range "precision shooting" rifles, they could add the higher-end features to the low-end rifle.

Because, simply put, most of these "High end" features don't actually cost much money, but they do shift sales from the more expensive rifles. (EG, why doesn't Savage have an Accutrigger and Accustock on ALL their bolt-action rifles? Because then the low end would poach the high end).

Also, its actually pretty clear why the new Ruger inexpensive: There's no choices, and no variety: One stock (probably the same for ALL models), one barrel weight (light), two action lengths, 4 chamberings, right hand only, no sights.

And its optimized for one thing: hunting (choice of stock, weight, calibers, etc are all 'hunting centric'). So it is clearly cutting corners to get the price, but its, IMO cutting the RIGHT corners to get the price given its intended use.

So my take? I'm getting one as a hunting rifle. I will post a review when it arrives.

If you are looking for a first hunting rifle, and in a hurry, and wanting to save $30, I'd sign up and get it. But you might want to wait (since it would only cost you $30), if you aren't quite as feature-obsessesed as I am.

But if the goal is "Long range precision shooting", I'd probably wait and look at something with a less optimized-for-low-weight design. Weight in a rifle is an enemy to the hunter, dragging it over hill and dale. Weight is the friend to the precision shooter....

Look forward to your review and thank you for the information, I appreciate when people take the time to help new people out on here. Most are great but there are the few that ruin the expierence here.

Speedpower
02-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Very well said!