PDA

View Full Version : Question on classifieds selling etiquette after reducing price

SDM44
02-18-2012, 11:17 PM
This has happened to me quite a few times in the past and again recently, and I'm looking to sell some more guns and parts. Here's the scenario....

I list a practically brand new gun for $750 on a Sunday night, and I immediately get a few people wanting it since the price is good really good. I get an immediate "I'll take it" from the first guy, and others saying 2nd & 3rd in line. However, the 1st buyer says he can't pick it up until Wed so I'm willing to work with him on it to be fair and wait. I send a follow up PM on Tuesday to make sure everything is still cool and by then there's an excuse about not buying it. I then go to my 2nd buyer in line and he lags for another 2-3 days before eventually backing out. By then, the others in line are no longer interested.

So I then drop my price dramatically just to move the gun (also out of frustration), so now I'm selling the gun for $650 when let's say a store sells the same one for $850 brand new. I then get the SAME GUYS saying they want it and will take it right away. I tell them thanks but no thanks and move onto the next buyers in line who I didn't already deal with. Then the guys get upset because they were "first" to say they'll take it, after my price reduction, and that I should honor that to them.

My question is, if you lower a price on a part/gun that you're selling since the original buyer(s) flaked on you, and then that same buyer comes back saying they'\ want to buy the gun off of you at that new price, is it bad etiquette to say NO to them and move onto to a new/different buyer?

Or should I still honor the 'first come first serve' for any person saying that they'll take it, even if it's the same guy who wasted my time before and made me lose out on a potentially higher priced deal?

vintagearms
02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
If they passed the first time, you are no longer have any obligation to them as buyers. It is yours to sell to whomever you want but you should honor the reduced price to the first one that says "I'll take it" that wasn't part of the first group. Just my .02...

Treb5
02-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Good question for a moderator to answer.

Dan-O
02-18-2012, 11:27 PM
I see your frustration but you did lower the price to $650... If you are getting your asking price what difference does it make who it comes from?

Rukus
02-18-2012, 11:29 PM
I see your frustration but you did lower the price to $650... If you are getting your asking price what difference does it make who it comes from?

That's IF you actually get asking price. If he's already been jerked around by the guys before, who's to say it won't happen again. I'd avoid the flakes again on principle.

Rekrab
02-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't see why they had to know they were first. Handle everything in PM and respond to who you want. Those jokers can't prove anything unless they're a mod, and you're still not required to sell it to them.

ir0nclash86
02-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Screw those guys. Move onto the next fresh set of buyers. Those guys had their chance.

winnre
02-19-2012, 12:28 AM
First person to agree to ALL your terms gets it, even if he is 46th in line. If no one agrees to all YOUR terms, then it's open season.

Example: I want to trade a firearm with a guy online here but I am too danged busy to get a picture right now. So if he sells to another, that is his right. I have not yet complied though I am trying, and he owes me nothing.

Scratch705
02-19-2012, 1:24 AM
you should of told them that they can buy it at the original price since it was a surcharge for wasting your time before.

imo, those two people were most likely doing the flake out thing in order to make it so interest would die down and then by backing out, may force you to drop price since now interest have dropped on the item. i use to see this all the time with layaway that stores do. people come in, layaway seasonal items, then don't pay so then the items go back on the shelf but at reduced price due to it now being out of season (they do this right at the time of seasonal change ups)

SouperMan
02-19-2012, 2:35 AM
OP, well within your right to sell or not sell.

I have a inverse of your situation a ways back. I was selling a item on eBay and the first person placed a max bid of $20 on my item that was worth $100. After the auction went past $20, the person emailed me saying that "I should sell it to them now for $20 because I am not going to get any more for it." The auction closed at $80.

razr
02-19-2012, 7:41 AM
Your gun, your choice. They probably thought it was over priced, but could have asked you to consider a lower price prior to saying "I'll take it". I wouldn't think twice about selling it to the next in line.

Rule .308
02-19-2012, 8:10 AM
I would tell them that the rifle is theirs at the original asking price that they agreed to otherwise the flakes can move on. They had their chance, they flaked, they can move on a piss and moan about it elsewhere.

toby
02-19-2012, 8:25 AM
The first guy's flaked and then came back after the reduction, screw them and hit ignore, been there done that you've done nothing wrong. I believe the seller has the right to refuse a sale to whom ever he chooses. like it or not.

MrNiceGuy
02-19-2012, 8:33 AM
A verbal/written contract has been established with the first buyer at $750.
That first buyer "backed out" on said verbal/written contract at $750.
That verbal/written contract is now null/void and you now have no obligation with that first buyer.

Pretty simple in my opinion.

Rob454
02-19-2012, 8:41 AM
Personally i would not drop the price from $750. Unless you are desperate for a sale someone WILL buy it for your asking price or make you a close enough offer. I have rarely sold a gun for less than my asking price and when I did discount it was because i wanted to. The people who said Ill take it and backed out should get a neutral I trader at the least possibly even a neg i trader since now they are coming back again wanting to buy it. Selling to them for the lower price is rewarding their flakiness and dishonesty. like the other post stated waiting till the interest dies down and you lower the price. This is why unless the member meets my asking price and can take it within a day or so I move to the next buyer. I got burned by a few Ill take it and never called and ignored my PMs. By the time its all said and done the other interested parties are no longer interested. I used to let it slide before. I will no longer be doing that.
Its the principal of the thing. IMO screw the $100 price difference. I had a people try to call over and over testing the waters seeing if I sold the item then making appointments and basically pissing me off wasting my time. Last guy did something similar to me on a different forum. I finally said I wouldn't sell to him if he was the ONLY buyer i would keep it. Ended up selling it for my asking price two days later.

bender152
02-19-2012, 8:43 AM
Once a person flakes on me, I try not to do business with them again.

If this happened to me, I would not sell to them at all. Like someone else said, who's to say they won't flake again and waste more of your time?

medicdude
02-19-2012, 8:43 AM
Money talks / BS walks

zfields
02-19-2012, 9:04 AM
Money talks / BS walks

+1.

They figured since the first guy bailed, wait for you to deal on it.

Ezekiel2000
02-19-2012, 9:35 AM
I'm with everyone else. They had the chance to prove they were men or women of their word and they failed. If they want it so bad, they can buy it at the original price, since that was what they agreed to. Even at original $750 it would still be your call if you feel like dealing with them anymore or not, you'd be well within your rights and more importantly on the correct side of moral obligations, to refuse to deal with them even at the original $750 now that they have already broken the trust.

You owe these guys absolutely nothing, matter of fact they owe you. If they fail to recognize that, put them on ignore and move on.

r3dn3ck
02-19-2012, 9:37 AM
I'll take it means I'll take it. Not I'll take it if my wife lets me or if you can wait a week.

Call em' out. when they burn you send em appropriate iTrade negatives. Keep the iTrader ratings real and brutal and we'll weed out all the jagoffs.

I've bought some things I wish I hadn't. I've said I'll take it and wished I hadn't... I then suck it up, pay up and move on. I don't put the onus on the seller. Buyer beware, buyer be a man of your word or buyer be burned in his iTrader rating.

All these people putting needlessly positive ratings for jagoffs isn't helping either.

taloft
02-19-2012, 9:52 AM
I'd tell them to kick rocks. Besides, what makes anyone think they'd follow through this time around? They burned you once, don't give them a second chance at it.

Sillyguy
02-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd tell them to kick rocks. Besides, what makes anyone think they'd follow through this time around? They burned you once, don't give them a second chance at it.

+1!

pdq_wizzard
02-19-2012, 10:01 AM
I'll take it means I'll take it. Not I'll take it if my wife lets me or if you can wait a week.

Call em' out. when they burn you send em appropriate iTrade negatives. Keep the iTrader ratings real and brutal and we'll weed out all the jagoffs.

I've bought some things I wish I hadn't. I've said I'll take it and wished I hadn't... I then suck it up, pay up and move on. I don't put the onus on the seller. Buyer beware, buyer be a man of your word or buyer be burned in his iTrader rating.

All these people putting needlessly positive ratings for jagoffs isn't helping either.

^^ This, I have done the same thing.

Joe
02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
You can sell to anyone you want regardless of who posts first. .

Noonanda
02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Flake on me once, shame on you, you wont have the chance to flake on me a second time.
Tell him you are going to have to charge him $50 more than your original asking price just for the trouble he put you through for you to risk dealing with him again, otherwise he can go play in traffic or pound sand

saki302
02-19-2012, 10:56 AM
You pass, you pass. If you walk away from the supermarket line, you get to wait again.
If someone is flaky and they lose respect, it's your choice to NOT deal with them again.

If a buyer can't agree to a set meeting, I'll move to the next guy in line now. I won't waste time on "get the money next Tuesday" people anymore. Ante up or you're out.

Also, look into selling it on auction (gunbroker). Keeping nice guns in CA is great, but money in my pocket is the bottom line. Several nice pistols left CA because of flaky buyers, but I still got what I wanted in my pocket.

-Dave

The War Wagon
02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
"Honor" is a TWO-WAY street. :oji:

bsg
02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
if someone blows you off after posting/stating "i'll take it" at the original price... there is no need to even acknowledge that person's "i'll take it" at the new price.

aermotor
02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Leave negative feedback. It's the only way to keep the system working and let others know about these guys.

-hanko
02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
My question is, if you lower a price on a part/gun that you're selling since the original buyer(s) flaked on you, and then that same buyer comes back saying they'\ want to buy the gun off of you at that new price, is it bad etiquette to say NO to them and move onto to a new/different buyer?

Or should I still honor the 'first come first serve' for any person saying that they'll take it, even if it's the same guy who wasted my time before and made me lose out on a potentially higher priced deal?
I respond to an "I'll take it" that has a delayed ppt by simply advising the buyer that he is first in line, BUT an offer than can be consummated without the wait will be given priority. I will/have emailed guys like this when a quicker offer with a good price came along.

To me, no one gets precedence in a FS ad with a lower price. That said, I have emailed a few people with a price drop prior to putting it in an ad. That's trying to thank them for their interest in the first place.

Good question for a moderator to answer.
Disagree.

What makes you think you'll get a reasonable answer if negative feedback can't be added for flake buyers??

Inquiring minds, etc.

-hanko

psssniper
02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
They flaked the first round so in my book they are a "no sale" anytime in the future, and I'd put them on my ignore list.

Databyter
02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
This has happened to me quite a few times in the past and again recently, and I'm looking to sell some more guns and parts. Here's the scenario....

I list a practically brand new gun for $750 on a Sunday night, and I immediately get a few people wanting it since the price is good really good. I get an immediate "I'll take it" from the first guy, and others saying 2nd & 3rd in line. However, the 1st buyer says he can't pick it up until Wed so I'm willing to work with him on it to be fair and wait. I send a follow up PM on Tuesday to make sure everything is still cool and by then there's an excuse about not buying it. I then go to my 2nd buyer in line and he lags for another 2-3 days before eventually backing out. By then, the others in line are no longer interested.

So I then drop my price dramatically just to move the gun (also out of frustration), so now I'm selling the gun for $650 when let's say a store sells the same one for $850 brand new. I then get the SAME GUYS saying they want it and will take it right away. I tell them thanks but no thanks and move onto the next buyers in line who I didn't already deal with. Then the guys get upset because they were "first" to say they'll take it, after my price reduction, and that I should honor that to them.

You can sell your gun to whomever you want to regardless of their place in line.

Etiquette only applies to the rules you laid down in your for sale post, and common sense.

If somebody acts a little flakey that is plenty of a reason to assume they are, whether they actually are or not.

I have unwisely made some posts in the past saying something along the lines of, I am interested in your items, but will not have the cash for a few weeks. I wasn't trying to save a place in line, just to express interest and let the op know there was interest. But usually when somebody hears something like that, it is a negative mark, deserved or not, because nobody really knows anybody online.

It's better to just keep your mouth shut until you have the cash, and that is etiquette that the BUYERS need to be aware of.

You are doing it right :oji:

Fishslayer
02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't see why they had to know they were first. Handle everything in PM and respond to who you want. Those jokers can't prove anything unless they're a mod, and you're still not required to sell it to them.

It's the "Calguns WTS Board" not the "Calguns Secret PM Auction Board."

Sure, it's legal to ignore a publicly posted "I'll take it!" and sell to a (presumably) better offer in a PM (had it done to me) but it's a low class move & tells me I'm dealing with a person of low integrity and lack of ethics.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Once somebody flakes on me, they go on my "ignore" list. That way, I don't ever have to worry about them flaking on me twice.

OP, I wouldn't do business with the two flakes... and I wouldn't worry about them being all butt-hurt that you didn't give them a second chance to flake.

Ed_Hazard
02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
You know the old saying, "Fool me once...", well they had their chance and decided to flake. You have every right to ignore their offer at the new price and sell to whomever you want.

GMG
02-19-2012, 1:43 PM
Burn me once..........Shame on you.

Burn me twice...........Shame on me !

caldude
02-19-2012, 3:08 PM
I agree with everybody that says you only get one chance to prove your word is valid. No matter whether the deal goes through or not, you need to be straight with your communications. I've seen a lot of "he said, she said" on here where the seller/buyer had a misunderstanding, or one was just sleazy.

That said, I had to back out of a deal once, but I didn't flake on the seller - I was on vacation when I saw a rifle I wanted to buy for my wife. Obviously I couldn't pick it up immediately and the seller graciously agreed to wait until I got back. Unfortunately, the day after I got back, I got laid off at work. I immediately told the seller that I wouldn't be able to go through with the deal (gotta save the pennies!). Fortunately he understood, and hopefully was able to sell to someone else.

Rekrab
02-19-2012, 5:12 PM

Sure, it's legal to ignore a publicly posted "I'll take it!" and sell to a (presumably) better offer in a PM (had it done to me) but it's a low class move & tells me I'm dealing with a person of low integrity and lack of ethics.

I'm not suggesting taking a better offer over an offer you received first. What I'm saying is that if I receive an offer from someone I feel "iffy" about, or just plain don't like, I'm going to ignore their offer to buy my goods.

Example, if I get a PM from someone that has a low post count or a low itrader score I'm going to check that seller out as best I can before I agree to sell my goods. I'm protecting myself. If I see something about the seller that gives me a bad vibe, I'm not going to sell it to that person.

Fishslayer
02-19-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm not suggesting taking a better offer over an offer you received first. .

Well... actually you were...

The spirit of the rules is that it is not an auction board. Doing business in secret on a board like that is shady at best. Why not conduct your business in the open?

"I have XXX to sell for $$$."

"I'll take it!"

"Ummm... no. Joeblo PM'd me first."

I draw one conclusion from that. Auction.

In the OP's case he has every right to tell the flakes to pound sand. I wouldn't deal with them either.

jlbflyboy172
02-20-2012, 12:02 AM
I have had instances where someone posted on the thread that they will take it after I already had someone PM me and say they will take it and the guy that posted on the thread is pissed cause he thinks he is first. At the end of the day, you can sell to who ever you darn well please and noone has word one to say about it. Conduct yourself well, treat people the way you want to be treated and sleep well at night. You don't have to make any excuses.

Fate
02-20-2012, 12:03 AM

You presume too much. Many people prefer to keep their dealings private. I respect that and will take the first, no strings "I'll take it" I receive, either by post, PM or email. It's painting with too broad of a brush to say that every time you're told someone beat you to the punch that the seller got a better offer. I'd never do that, nor would most sellers.

As to the OP, I'd tell the first guys who flaked on me to jump in a lake. That's lame.

ke6guj
02-20-2012, 12:03 AM
you're choice, but that isn't always the case. Not everyone wants to post what they are buying publicly.

rkt88edmo
02-20-2012, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't let the same people waste my time twice. If I want to pay less I tell a seller what I'm willing to pay, I don't make a "kinda sorta I'll maybe take it"

psssniper
02-20-2012, 2:17 AM

A lot of the stuff I buy here on the boards never has my name in the FS thread.

Rekrab
02-20-2012, 2:27 PM
Well... actually you were...

The spirit of the rules is that it is not an auction board. Doing business in secret on a board like that is shady at best. Why not conduct your business in the open?

"I have XXX to sell for $$$."

"I'll take it!"

"Ummm... no. Joeblo PM'd me first."

In the OP's case he has every right to tell the flakes to pound sand. I wouldn't deal with them either.

Appearance and reality can be two entirely different things. If two people PM you with the same "I'll take it" and agree to your terms, but the first person gives you a bad feeling or has a negative itrader rating you shouldn't feel obliged to sell to the first person just because he PM'ed you first. In the case of the OP this goes doubly true because he had already had his buyers flake on him.

What I am suggesting is exactly what you said in the end. If you don't want to do business with people, don't do business with them.