View Full Version : BFG Redi Mod on anyones AR?

02-18-2012, 9:27 PM
I'm considering it for my 6.8 SPC. Does anyone own one, have experience, or just have an opinion?

02-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Are you going to run it on a bullet button'd rifle? If so, seems a little silly to drop that much cash for an extra 10 rounds. I tried one on my rifle a year or so ago, and as a lefty with the UBBT it made reloads a little easier, but it wasn't the best solution.

YMMV. Unless of course you're going for the cool factor. They are pretty cool.

02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes I have used one, No it is not currently on my work weapon, as it added too much weight lugging the thing around all day... ounces equal pounds.. Since we rarely actually fire at anything... now if you are just going to use it to look cool or use it at the range, yeah they are great.. but in ca your still stuck with 10rds.. and a locked mag, unless you go featureless then they are great for a range toy.. or training weapon..

02-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Surefire 60 round mags in the free world would be my choice over the Redi Mod since that can move between rifles easier. If that wasn't an option and I was a cop I would use one or if I kept my rifle for HD in the boonies.

02-19-2012, 8:55 AM
Seems kinda pointless in BB'd rifle. That's a pretty penny for 10 extra rounds. Even then, if I really wanted a spare mag, a well designed mag coupler would seem like a better and cheaper option. As stated before, ounces = pounds and pounds = pain.

Then again... This is just my .02 and to you it might be worth the :cool: factor.

02-19-2012, 9:47 AM
They look cool but I look at it this way.
It adds extra weight to the weak side.
It seems as the weight would not be countered on the other side, inducing 'cant'. which you would have to make up for with modifying your shooting style. Modifying your shooting style between same-types of weapons is not good.
And especially, you are already loaded with 30 rounds (unless BB'ed).
What kind of firefight could you be in where you cannot find cover, or pause to reload from a vest carrier? I could see military firefights (been in some) where you are throwing rounds downrange to cover yourself or others for movement, but in civilian, or law enforcement applications, you need to account for every bullet downrange. Even the military acknowledges that after the 3rd round of 'auto' is ineffective. SO in shorter, controlled fire, you should be able to reload from your carrier in slightly more time than to use the redi-mag.
I have all of my AR's set up as similar as I can. Same trigger pull, same length of pull, same cheek weld for optics or sights. Flashlight controls in the same place on every one.
Same buttstocks for carbines whether AR-15's or AR-10's. There is a reason for it, muscle memory, training, muscle memory, training, muscle memory, training, muscle memory, training. I can pick up any of my carbines and operate them without thinking about how they are sety up differently, or if one has a single stage brake at 4lbs, and the other has a two-stage break at 2.5 lbs. If I had a Redi-mag on one of my carbines, I would have to buy 4 more for my other carbines. And since I don't see Redi-mags for AR-10's, I wouldn't have them at all.
Years ago I went from a patrolman to Dective. I changed to a shoulder holster for my Sig 220. Even though I trained with the shoulder holster, about 6 months into being detective I had to draw my gun on a parolee ina closet wielding a pry bar. Where did my hand go? To my strong side hip. But my gun had moved to my opposite side arm pit. That split second damn near got my head crushed. I ditched my shoulder holster and started carrying on my strong side hip again.
To affirm my point, I would probably not even realize the Redi-Mag is there when reloading, all the while wondering why my arms are so fatigued.

It would be a 'hoot' to have on a FA for mag dumps though.

02-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Came back and looked at my response.
Sorry...might have been a little long-winded on that one.

02-19-2012, 2:40 PM
Came back and looked at my response.
Sorry...might have been a little long-winded on that one.

I loved your response. Thank you for taking the time.

02-19-2012, 2:44 PM
It's not BB'd. The BB does not apply to me. I wish there was a Surefire 60 rounder for my 6.8 but I do own 2 for my 5.56's. I was mostly concerned about the extra weight and it seems rightfully so. It's already a bit heavy as it is. It will change my manual of arms and thats an excellent point Wardog. I'm leaning toward : not worth it.
Thanks for the help guys.