PDA

View Full Version : Give me a reason to spend any money at Turner's

CSACANNONEER
02-18-2012, 5:40 PM
I would like to give Turner's another chance but, after today, I will need some serious coaxing.

It all started this morning in Pasedena. I arrived and took a number. The person I was meeting for a PPT was waiting next door. I called him, let him know I was there and then met him at the front of the store. The cashier had a long line and no one was available to check in the gun. So, we waited close to the front door in case someone showed up to do the checkin. Well, 25 minutes go by and my number is called. We procede to the counter and are informed that the girl who called my number can not help us, "she's new at this and can't do PPT's". Then one of the guys behind the counter asks if the gun was checked in yet and got a bit miffed that it wasn't. Well, it wasn't our fault that the store did not have anyone there to do it but, he seemed to be upset with us anyway. After that, we were informed that there was a PPT already in progress and one or two more in line and that we would again have to wait in line. The estimated wait was 60-90 minutes for less than 3 PPTs and a counter full of staff????? When the seller asked if we should grab another number, the guy said that we could but that they probably would not be ready for us when the next number was called. WTF???Why would we have to wait in line twice and still not get served? Obviously, Turner's has made it clear that they do not want my bussiness. After all, I'm just a little guy who typically spends between $10K and $25K a year on firearms, ammo, components and other shooting related expenses. While we were waiting in line, the seller was telling me about a $3500 rifle that he was eyeing so, I'm sure he's just another annoying customer who doesn't spend enough on his hobby either.

We ended up going to Addax and we had a PPT done in less than 10 minutes from start to finish. On top of that, it was done with a smile and I ordered a new firearm from them after the seller left.

Anyway, different Turner's could be convient places for me to shop since my job takes me all over socal. After today, I don't feel that Turner's deserves my bussiness. However, I'm starting this thread to see if Turner's can give me a reason to support them or if they really don't want my business.

Speedpower
02-18-2012, 6:02 PM
:yawn:

Dillon
02-18-2012, 6:20 PM
IMO ATTITUDE of employees make or break a buisness, most people don't complain they just never return.!!

VictorFranko
02-18-2012, 6:29 PM
CSA, you above most people should know what you are getting when you go to Turner's.
I have shopped Turner's Reseda for approximately 27 years.
I think of Turner's as the Pep Boys of gun stores.
You should too.
You want Mom and Pop service?
Go to a Mom and Pop shop. :)

ElvenSoul
02-18-2012, 6:36 PM
Turners is the what it is. However I have gotten that same service for PPT from a small private store as well. Gun stores are in business to make money. They make nothing off a PPT. They keep you waiting so that you might end up buying something from the store. Next time do this - before doing the PPT act like regular customer in the store to buy a gun. Then just before paperwork go out get the gun you came in to PPT. Next tell the Sales Clerk, "sorry not going to buy that gun from you, think we will just do this PPT." Sorry to say this works :(

CSACANNONEER
02-18-2012, 6:40 PM
VF,

Yea, I know. I thought other stores would be better than Reseda. I never expected worse though. They were busy and we had waited our turn just to find out that we had only waited in the line to tell us what line to go to. It was worse than the OLD DMV before they streamlined it.

CSACANNONEER
02-18-2012, 6:43 PM
Turners is the what it is. However I have gotten that same service for PPT from a small private store as well. Gun stores are in business to make money. They make nothing off a PPT. They keep you waiting so that you might end up buying something from the store. Next time do this - before doing the PPT act like regular customer in the store to buy a gun. Then just before paperwork go out get the gun you came in to PPT. Next tell the Sales Clerk, "sorry not going to buy that gun from you, think we will just do this PPT." Sorry to say this works :(

I did order a firearm from Addax after the fast and friendly PPT was over.

TheClap1
02-18-2012, 7:06 PM
The thing about there being plenty of staff is that they only have two computers to work on. So even if you have ten employees you can't do much with with limited laptops. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to tie up both computers when there are other paying customers. I have done ppt's there and I had to wait for the one ahead of me to finish first.

Brandon04GT
02-18-2012, 7:11 PM
CSA, you above most people should know what you are getting when you go to Turner's.
You should too.

Damn 27 years that's way before I was born lol. But I agree, Turners is a chain store and has to be regarded as such. Sometimes I experience friendly service but usually get what most people talking about.

IntoForever
02-18-2012, 7:12 PM
After a turners employee told me their policy is to call the police on anyone who brings in a firearm that is illegally configured, I will never shop there again. One story was that an old lady brought in her husband's old rifle after his passing and she knew nothing about it. Didn't matter, they still made the call.

CSACANNONEER
02-18-2012, 7:23 PM
The thing about there being plenty of staff is that they only have two computers to work on. So even if you have ten employees you can't do much with with limited laptops. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to tie up both computers when there are other paying customers. I have done ppt's there and I had to wait for the one ahead of me to finish first.

That would not have been a problem. The problems were the way we were treated, the attitudes and the fact that it only should take 10 minutes to do a PPT. With one or two in the wings, we should not have had to wait more than 30 minutes. An hour to an hour and a half or more only goes to show that their in house system is flawed or their employees are incompetent.

Everyone should note that I did start this thread in the Turner's forum to hear their response and give them one last chance to redeem themselves in my eyes. I do tend to be pretty vocal about my opinions and am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

TKM
02-18-2012, 7:29 PM
I won a rifle (NRA doorprize) at Raahauge's one year. The big shoot sponsored by Turners, with Turners poster on every flat surface...

Anyway, tried to have it transferred to the Kearny Mesa Turners. You know, spend a little money with the nice folks who threw the party, maybe grab some goodies while I'm there.

45 Days Later!!!! The list of excuses was longer than my johnson.

Gave Up. Went through a LGS and spent my money there.

w55
02-18-2012, 7:38 PM
Some places act as if a PPT is the hardest thing...its 10 minutes...

ke6guj
02-18-2012, 7:44 PM
An hour to an hour and a half or more only goes to show that their in house system is flawed or their employees are incompetent. Yes, it is known that there is problems with Turner's PPT procedures and they are working on them. Last I heard was that they had a new POS system that they were rolling out to the stores that should fix many of the issues. IIRC, they were starting the rollout in Feb at the Rancho store and then expanding it to the rest of the stores.

Everyone should note that I did start this thread in the Turner's forum to hear their response and give them one last chance to redeem themselves in my eyes. I do tend to be pretty vocal about my opinions and am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.Hopefully Bill with see this on Monday.

CSACANNONEER
02-18-2012, 7:58 PM
Hopefully Bill with see this on Monday.

Or Tuesday. Monday is a holiday for some people.

barbasol
02-18-2012, 8:34 PM
CSA, i understand your complaint as my career is 100% service based liked the service you expected.

Maybe a few points to shift your perspective.

Thank goodness we have gun stores so busy in our repressed but great state of California.

Is it Turners company policy that you experienced or a sales person that would rather make a commission on a firearm sale than their hourly wage on a ppt? (not sure how turners employees are paid) it's pretty easy to get a salesperson to be on your side even while stressed.

I go to Turners every week or two for gear, ammo, fishing supplies etc... Would the fine folks at Riflgear give me better service? Undoubtedly. (Talk about poor service, go to Ammo Bros in Cerritos)

But what if there was no Turners if we boycotted?

VictorFranko
02-18-2012, 8:36 PM
Damn 27 years that's way before I was born lol. But I agree, Turners is a chain store and has to be regarded as such. Sometimes I experience friendly service but usually get what most people talking about.

Dang young whippersnappers :oji:

RUGER2
02-18-2012, 9:20 PM
You should too.

Well said, I agree... but I think it's more like the Wall-Mart of stores!.What do you from an employee that does'nt want to be there anyway?? :(

JNunez23
02-18-2012, 9:37 PM
Next time consider doing your PPT's at a pawn shop. I just went through the process on Tuesday at Once a pawn a time in Glendale. $35 in DROS/Fees and the entire process literally took 5 minutes.

I gave up on Turners a month ago, sadly. I say that because I have a few friends that work for them, and even that is not enough to continue to sway me in their favor.

Good luck!

beb1954
02-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Turner's sux... period. Said it many times before and had to defend my past comments before. Seems now I am not as alone on this as I thought. Just my 2˘ again.
I want to use this as an opportunity to gives "kudos"(never did know wtf that word comes from)but to O.C. Armory for seemingly going out of their way to accommodate me with an SSE I had driven down their to do. I had to defend my wanting to do ppt's local yesterday mainly to avoid a long drive 10 days later OR to have to deal with some bass ackwards FFL to do a ppt ... Least I forget how to install or remove a safety lock... lol......

joefrank64k
02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
I'll chime in...I was the seller today with CSA.

Yes: PPT's, in isolation, are a money-loser for the shop. $10 for 10 to 20 minutes of the employees time + the backend paperwork + the 10-30 days of storage + notifications to the buyer/seller if there's a problem with the DROS + something-else-I'm-sure-I'm-forgetting = Loss

Yes: The PPT fee should probably be indexed to inflation. Let's not have anymore gun shops out of business, etc, etc.

But WTF? is right...

- We came in. Weapon was cleared and ready for inspection. CSA and I waited for inspection but were called to the counter before the overwhelmed cashier/inspection person could help us.

- Major attitude from the black-shirt behind the counter when we informed him of above non-inspection and the reason for it not being done. "You just can't walk in here with a gun!" Isn't this a gun store?

- Told "1 to 1 1/2 hours" wait because there were 2(!) PPT's ahead of us

- "But we have a number" we told black-shirt. "Doesn't matter" was the answer. "Can we pull another number so we don't lose our place in line?" Black-shirt says, "Sure, you can pull another number, but it won't matter, since there are 2 other PPT's ahead of you and if they're not done when your number is called, you'll have to wait longer."

So CSA and I did the only sensible thing...we took our business elsewhere! About 20 minutes later we were at Addax Tactical and holy smokes, what a difference!!! Fastest PPT I've ever been a part of.

My take-away from this experience is simple. As I said above, in isolation, PPT's are a money-loser. But in context, because of the PPT, Addax got the additional gun order from CSA.

BTW...for those who haven't met CSA personally, he's definitely one of the good guys on these boards. Super-smooth transaction all the way!!! (In spite of Turner's attempts to make it otherwise :D)

winnre
02-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Turner's is where you go in, buy your stuff, and get out. Want a custom order? PPT? Layaway? Heck that's like trying to get a real person at Dell or Verizon. Voicemail hell. I think Turner's has lost the customer touch and they are a Wal-mart for guns now. Great price, but don't expect service to match any more.

RideOrDieChick
02-19-2012, 8:14 AM
I was one of the other parties doing a PPT and Marion got us in and out in about 20 mins. Transaction went smooth. So I could understand the 60 min wait if there were a couple of other PPTs ahead of you.

MA5177
02-19-2012, 8:30 AM
Was this the reseda store? They are a bunch of tools up there, I sold a gun to a calgunner that lived in Ventura and agreed to meet him half way. Got there at 10 when they opened and it still took over an hour, he was trying very hard to find a reason to stop the ppt. Buyer accidentally signed something in the wrong spot a they tried to cancel the whole thing. Wtf?. Turners FV is pretty good ,but I will never go back to reseda.

CSACANNONEER
02-19-2012, 9:58 AM
I was one of the other parties doing a PPT and Marion got us in and out in about 20 mins. Transaction went smooth. So I could understand the 60 min wait if there were a couple of other PPTs ahead of you.

There was one PPT in progress and two in the wings. So, Yea I could have understood an "up to an hour wait. please be patient and we'll get to you as soon as possible." But, that wasn't the case or the attitude.

Was this the reseda store? They are a bunch of tools up there, I sold a gun to a calgunner that lived in Ventura and agreed to meet him half way. Got there at 10 when they opened and it still took over an hour, he was trying very hard to find a reason to stop the ppt. Buyer accidentally signed something in the wrong spot a they tried to cancel the whole thing. Wtf?. Turners FV is pretty good ,but I will never go back to reseda.

No, it was the Pasadena store. My last horror story about Turner's did take place in Reseda but, that was 8 or 9 years ago. It took me almost two hours to pick up a 10-22 after the guy stared helping me. But, that was under different management.

Socalmedix
02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
This thread covers the exact same experiences I had at Turners Pasadena... I will not step foot in another Turners. Thier prices suck (unless on sale items) thier service is horrible and I waste over 2hrs every time I go in.

I went to pickup my PPT gun yesterday at Pasadena and I gave the girl my receipt and everything else required, it took her 15 min to even locate my gun, then she handed it to me for safety demo, no biggie, and then she said she has to clear it out of the system via computer which is currently being used by another employee on a dros transaction. End of long story, it took me over an hour from the time I was helped a the counter to me walking out the door. That is very bad service and I can confidently say it was my final dealings with Turners.

gr8dragon88
02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
There's another recent thread about how great Jennifer at Pasadena handled PPT:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=535972&highlight=ppt

3 out 4 Calgunners I've dealt with recently refused to go to Turners' for PPTs.

Has anyone experienced the new Turners' system that's suppose to fix these issues? I believe it's already rolled out at some locations and should be done by the end of this month.

10ringshot
02-19-2012, 2:09 PM
I recently did a 2 PPT at Turners Chino Hills on 2 different days. Both fast and friendly . Last PPT at Turners in Orange and they gave us some BS about AR lower receivers needing the bullet button installed for transfer, even though they sell them the exact same way. We left and did it at Ade's with no problems. PPT at Ammo Bros Ontario last week was smooth fast and friendly as well. I have said before that anything that forces 2 gun guys into a gun shop to do business should be viewed by the gun store as "Golden Advertising" that you can't pay for or get enough of.

JNunez23
02-19-2012, 3:50 PM
I was at the Reseda store today because I had no choice but to buy ammo there, as many of the gun stores in the valley close Sunday.

45 minutes to pick up 2 boxes of .22 Federal ammo. Not to mention another 20 minute wait at the cashier's due to the computer crashing. Though she has another register right next to her, she continues to stare at the one that obviously is not functioning.

Ughhh, it's painful to even think about Turners...I seriously cringe.

GMG
02-19-2012, 4:37 PM
Well I guess I'm on the other side of the road. I've had good service with Turners Kearney Mesa, San Diego.

Must be because we're so far south.:)

ArmyMedicMoose
02-19-2012, 4:42 PM
Why do men on this site act like little F**king girls. All I hear is how one store did this and one store did this. Grow the F**k up. I bet you get the same service at the grocery store but when it comes to a gun store you think they should on there knees for your business. WTF is wrong with you grown MEN........None of your have any customer loyalty but you expect the store to loyalty to you.... bunch of B****s

njineermike
02-19-2012, 4:48 PM
I'd much rather do business locally. If the Turners in your area isn't putting the customer (you) first, maybe a local small business would be more inclined to do what the big boys won't.

ArkinDomino
02-19-2012, 4:54 PM
Turners has gotten A LOT better... but comparing them to Addax just isn't fair. Addax is simply amazing.

JNunez23
02-19-2012, 5:06 PM
That's why I got to GunsDirect in Burbank. Pay a little more, but you don't have to deal with the ****ty service.

It's funny how some of you get offended that we "badmouth" Turners. Last I checked, these threads are here to share info and experiences, good and bad. Sorry Turner's has such ****ed up customer service and a horrible ****en business ethic, that I have no choice but to **** all over them when they do something wrong!! I knew going into the store I would have to wait an hour, I actually told my g/f we're not waiting longer than an hour! Sad when you have to set a cap on how long you can stand around waiting for someone to make eye contact with you. lol

And YES, I took a #. But based on Turner's responses in other threads, they advice that you ask a rep if you ONLY want ammo. Yeah, that was a waste of time.

YUP, that's what gets me off!! Badmouthing Turners!!! Yeahhhhh :facepalm:

S.A.
02-19-2012, 5:23 PM
Why do men on this site act like little F**king girls. All I hear is how one store did this and one store did this. Grow the F**k up. I bet you get the same service at the grocery store but when it comes to a gun store you think they should on there knees for your business. WTF is wrong with you grown MEN........None of your have any customer loyalty but you expect the store to loyalty to you.... bunch of B****s

Gotta agree with you on this, Moose. It was only a few years ago their were no complaints, becuase their were no guns to sell! Now Turner's has guns on every shelf. Too many drama queens just itchin to b#!&h.

CSACANNONEER
02-19-2012, 5:55 PM

Dude, I'm asking Turner's for a reason for me to give them another chance. No, I've never been treated that way at a grocery store. If I had been, I'd never shop there again. I'm pretty particular when it comes to service at restraunts and there are many that I'll never go into again. Some are very high end places. Then again, there are some complete dives that have bent over backwards to give everyone I've ever seen there the same greeat service that they've given me. Obviously, you have a problem with tunnel vision and are in need of a reading comprehension course. Because, if you had actually read the thread, you'ld see that I'm trying to keep an open mind and let them repond to my post. Then again, given your limited vocabulary, I have to guess that you are about 14 or 15 and think that your choice of words makes you sound more mature and intelectual than you are. I'm here to tell you that that is not the case.

CSACANNONEER
02-19-2012, 6:06 PM
Gotta agree with you on this, Moose. It was only a few years ago their were no complaints, becuase their were no guns to sell! Now Turner's has guns on every shelf. Too many drama queens just itchin to b#!&h.

Don't know about you but, I've done at least a dozen PPTs a year for the last 10 years or so. I've never had an issue buying a firearm and have always seen some firearms in every shop I've frequented. Even if this was in the middle of Obama's best gun selling month, I would have had a problem with how we were treated. I normally go to shops that want repeat customers. BTW, it was only a few years ago that I stopped doing bussiness with the old Turner's due to incompetance and lack of customer service. I finally decide to give them another chance with one small task. So far, I'm unimpressed enough with how they choose to handle it that I started this thread. All I want is Turner's to give me a reason for the way I was treated. If they can give me a good enough one, I might decide to give them a third chance at my bussiness. Got it? Right now, I'm not beaching, I'm explaining what happened to me and asking for answers. Is this too much for your little mind to comprehend?

Turner's Outdoorsman
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I would like to give Turner's another chance but, after today, I will need some serious coaxing.

It all started this morning in Pasedena. I arrived and took a number. The person I was meeting for a PPT was waiting next door. I called him, let him know I was there and then met him at the front of the store. The cashier had a long line and no one was available to check in the gun. So, we waited close to the front door in case someone showed up to do the checkin. Well, 25 minutes go by and my number is called. We procede to the counter and are informed that the girl who called my number can not help us, "she's new at this and can't do PPT's". Then one of the guys behind the counter asks if the gun was checked in yet and got a bit miffed that it wasn't. Well, it wasn't our fault that the store did not have anyone there to do it but, he seemed to be upset with us anyway. After that, we were informed that there was a PPT already in progress and one or two more in line and that we would again have to wait in line. The estimated wait was 60-90 minutes for less than 3 PPTs and a counter full of staff????? When the seller asked if we should grab another number, the guy said that we could but that they probably would not be ready for us when the next number was called. WTF???Why would we have to wait in line twice and still not get served? Obviously, Turner's has made it clear that they do not want my bussiness. After all, I'm just a little guy who typically spends between $10K and $25K a year on firearms, ammo, components and other shooting related expenses. While we were waiting in line, the seller was telling me about a $3500 rifle that he was eyeing so, I'm sure he's just another annoying customer who doesn't spend enough on his hobby either.

We ended up going to Addax and we had a PPT done in less than 10 minutes from start to finish. On top of that, it was done with a smile and I ordered a new firearm from them after the seller left.

Anyway, different Turner's could be convient places for me to shop since my job takes me all over socal. After today, I don't feel that Turner's deserves my bussiness. However, I'm starting this thread to see if Turner's can give me a reason to support them or if they really don't want my business.

There's more than a bit to cover here...

Firstly, we agree with regards to customer service and attitude- big box, multi-store chain, mom & pop, hole-in-the-wall- everyone wants to shop where you feel welcome. If people made you feel that you were putting them out, it's on them, and we'll address that.

Secondly, PPT's are an absolute nightmare for us right now. When the company changed hands in '09 there was a ton of work to do on many fronts including the POS system that had been put in place by the prior owners. Little shops with handwritten forms or DIY computer systems definitely can do PPT's in less time right now.

Our new system is rolling out right now. That said, we know that a new system will not replace old attitudes. PPT's and transactions in general will be faster but it will still take good people to make satisfied customers- period.

Given the PPT issues, we do dedicate one computer for PPT's. If you have a PPT and we pull your number and it's for a PPT, we will place you in line behind any PPT customers that were ahead of you. Once the new system rollout is complete, we won't have to resort to that.

While we have made progress reversing the decline that took place in the 5+ years prior to the ownership change, we are the first to tell you that we are far from done. We're here to listen and we're making changes every day to move things forward.

If we're to tell you everything was great or not take your input- well, that'd be the day to write us off.

Turner's Outdoorsman
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM

We have added laptops to our higher volume stores. The new system will definitely help but we may add more laptops anyway given the high customer volume we see.

Turner's Outdoorsman
02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
After a turners employee told me their policy is to call the police on anyone who brings in a firearm that is illegally configured, I will never shop there again. One story was that an old lady brought in her husband's old rifle after his passing and she knew nothing about it. Didn't matter, they still made the call.

Nonsense, there is no such policy.

But there is also a difference between a customer with some possible AW issues- and a couple of knuckleheads with a freshly hacked SBR "looking for some rounds for whatever fits in this gun".

CSACANNONEER
02-20-2012, 4:44 PM

Firstly, we agree with regards to customer service and attitude- big box, multi-store chain, mom & pop, hole-in-the-wall- everyone wants to shop where you feel welcome. If people made you feel that you were putting them out, it's on them, and we'll address that.

Secondly, PPT's are an absolute nightmare for us right now. When the company changed hands in '09 there was a ton of work to do on many fronts including the POS system that had been put in place by the prior owners. Little shops with handwritten forms or DIY computer systems definitely can do PPT's in less time right now.

Our new system is rolling out right now. That said, we know that a new system will not replace old attitudes. PPT's and transactions in general will be faster but it will still take good people to make satisfied customers- period.

Given the PPT issues, we do dedicate one computer for PPT's. If you have a PPT and we pull your number and it's for a PPT, we will place you in line behind any PPT customers that were ahead of you. Once the new system rollout is complete, we won't have to resort to that.

While we have made progress reversing the decline that took place in the 5+ years prior to the ownership change, we are the first to tell you that we are far from done. We're here to listen and we're making changes every day to move things forward.

If we're to tell you everything was great or not take your input- well, that'd be the day to write us off.

Thanks for the response. Yea, I was giving Turner's another try after having a bad experience back in about '04. I thought that things had changed since new owners took over a few YEARS ago. I guess it just takes more time to change policies and procedures than I thought it would. Can I suggest that you find someone to covertly video tape a few PPTs at each store. It might help weed out those who have bad attitudes from those who are more customer oriented. Maybe a sign in at the front for PPTs or at least a sign explaining the DMV meathod of "stand in this line" now go stand in that line" would be better than the abrupt and unhelpful way we were treated. I will say that the store was busy and we completely understood having to wait and employees feeling rushed but, to wait for 30 minutes just to find out how long we have to wait for is not a good policy. Being scolded like a small child because there was no one in place to check a firearm in was in very bad form.

Now onto lighter subjects. As someone who has been regularly shooting 1000 yard FCSA matches for the last 7 or 8 years, I have to tell you that I loved listening to the complete BS that one of your employees was spewing about the little rifle chambered in .416 (I think it was a Noreen) and the impossible feats it would do. So, at least I had a good laugh while I was waiting by the door for 30 minutes waiting to have a gun checked in. Unfortunately, I'd never buy anything from someone who was so sure about his product and so wrong at the same time. A little less exagerating would probably make the stories a little more believable.

Again, that's for responding and not just deleting this thread. That alone does go a long way.

Oh yea, one more suggestion, I would advise against hiring ArmyMedicMoose. While he obviously has a similar attitude as some of your employees, I don't think his reading comprehension is quite there yet.

joefrank64k
02-20-2012, 4:54 PM

Everything you've said here makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to clear the air.

TDL2024
02-21-2012, 3:10 AM
I dunno, I think I'll give Turner's another chance, but 2 of the 3 times I've been there didn't go so well, from lost guns, attitudes, and poor customer service. One dude at the store I go to is really cool though, and very helpful....but a couple others...not so much. Was in the market for an upper receiver last week, saw one in the case and asked if he had any details/specs on it. Sales person told me to just read the tag myself (which only stated caliber but not twist, barrel, etc). This was after I had just DROS'd a lower (so I'm obviously spending money today and NEED an upper). I'll go pick it up next week and maybe get some supplies for my handgun but if that process doesn't go smoothly I might just have to look elsewhere. Keeping my fingers crossed though because it's so close to me and the sales are pretty good sometimes.

VCMike
02-21-2012, 6:19 AM
I have shopped at the Turners Store in San Marcos for years, the two Mike's and John are very helpful and I enjoy stopping by and buying there. They are like every gun store I have been to, there is always one or two guys behind the counter that think they are too cool because they work at the gun store. About a week ago I did overhear one of the red shirt guys tell a new customer it would be $150.00 for him to have his Dad ship them a rifle from out of state and complete the paperwork, is that really the price?

sd_fox_racer
02-21-2012, 4:44 PM
i shop at the kearny mesa store and always recieve great service and smiles.....i am there usualy around opening time though or when there is no one there i try to avoid it when its busy if at all possible

winnre
02-21-2012, 5:18 PM
The San Bernardino store knows me too well and so I no longer get service. They know I am a sure thing and put the effort into others. I think I'll hang at the Rancho store more.

kingkev
02-21-2012, 7:16 PM
Reporting live from the Pasadena branch...arrived a few minutes before 6pm...number served = 79...I pull #85...it's 6:45pm, and we're at #83...

Observations:

-- the personnel there are complaining a LOT about how slow the HP laptop they're using is and how much they love Mac

-- younger red shirt personnel engage in unnecessary banter with each other which adds to (my!) wait time

-- black shirt personnel are working hard and as quickly as possible (kudos!)

-- WTH! more unnecessary banter with more customers stacking up...can I out certain red shirt personnel?

-- all but one red shirt behind counter...the rest are in the back office? it's been 10 min...come out and help already!

-- two people were helped without taking a number...I'd balk but they might have been LEO *shrug*

-- 6:56pm my number is called! woot!

-- 7:12pm I'm out the door with my new SR-22!

I'll add to this later when I'm home using a real keyboard instead of phone...

***Update: Concluding Thoughts***

Since I had to go to the Pasadena Turner's to pick up my pistol after it served mandatory jail time, I thought I'd take the opportunity to report - in real time - what I would surmise to be a typical "busy" night rather than confirm/deny extremes of either horrific or superb service.

Clearly there were a few opportunities for improvement: unnecessary banter between personnel during the mad evening rush in front of customers they were assisting and (worse) those who were waiting to be helped, several personnel disappearing into the back room/office for at least 20 min with 1 reemerging after 10 min (they were still needlessly understaffed at the counter when I left AND I most definitely heard laughter and/or horsing around in the back!), slow computer hardware on top of slow POS system...

There were also great things I observed. The men in black worked really hard and as efficiently as possible. One of the MIB (Hector) took the time to patiently train a new employee, and he also helped an elderly gentleman who brought in an old air/pellet gun he found to see if it could still function and other general info. BTW, someone behind the counter was quick yet cordial when directing the gentlemen to check in his rifle at the front counter. When their attention was tuned into assisting customers, I found the personnel to be knowledgeable and quite helpful...sometimes too helpful, as in more info than what was necessary to make an informed decision, but I digress...

So, should you continue to patronize Turner's? I would say a qualified "yes" in that like my experience above (and many similar ones over the few years I've been shopping at Turner's), each store has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Within each store you'll have great people who care about their customers' satisfaction, and you have people who...um...can reach to get the ammo behind the counter for you :laugh: Also, peak times are more or less predictable. If Turner's is logistically more convenient for you, then I guess it's worth a bit of time to get to know the personnel so you know who to go to, and when to go, for "most" of your varying firearms needs.

...and I heard they sell fishing gear...I have yet to confirm this rumor...

SOCAL INFIDEL
02-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Sorry to thread jack a bit, CSA. But I was wondering if you could purchase one gun via PPT (Handgun) and then purchase another handgun the same day via purchasing it through the store and it not interfere with the one every 30 day policy?

Sorry for your experience, btw. When I go to Turner's in Norwalk there's usually a bunch of "cholo"-types taking up the employee's time with silly request/questions. I almost can see the pain in the employee's eyes lol. but when I finally get to someone, they're friendly and are responsive.

ke6guj
02-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Sorry to thread jack a bit, CSA. But I was wondering if you could purchase one gun via PPT (Handgun) and then purchase another handgun the same day via purchasing it through the store and it not interfere with the one every 30 day policy?

Yes, PPT transfers are normally exempt from the 1-in-30 rule.

stefano-s
02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I use both of the Turner's in San Diego County, those being San Marcos and Kearny Mesa. Both stores have very courteous and helpful staffs. I have done four PPT's at San Marcos. One of these did take some time, due to the fact that they were very busy with other customers. Keep in mind that PPT's are not exactly an income producing service for any FFL. The maximum charge by CA DOJ directive is $35, and $25 of this goes to the CA DOJ.....that leaves a whopping $10 for the FFL. I try to pick a time when I feel that they will not be buried with customers, sometimes it works and sometimes not. Compared with the Turner's of a couple of years ago, they have made great strides and I give them two thumbs up. Turner's may never be like a mom and pop gun store but, they are trying much harder than in the past and that is a positive step.

dphouse
02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Stopped spending money at turners last year.

softscrubb
02-22-2012, 1:09 PM
I have been shopping at San Marcos Turners for a few years now and have not had any problems. They are like most retail places and have X number of employees to help X number of customers.

If you go into a business and demand to be served on your schedule, you might as well go to a busy restuarant on a Friday night with a 45min wait and demand to be seated right then and there. To hell with the other customers who might be there waiting as well. Same concept.

CSA.. no offense but you are complaining and you come off as fairly self-righteous when you go onto a bulletin board and ask that a business beg for you to come back. Shop there, don't shop there... your choice. Personally I don't think they could satisfy your needs as you feel you should be catered to.

socalbowhunter
02-22-2012, 1:46 PM
But there is also a difference between a customer with some possible AW issues- and a couple of knuckleheads with a freshly hacked SBR "looking for some rounds for whatever fits in this gun".

:rofl2: By far the best post I've seen in a long time.

I just want to say this about having to wait in line to do a PPT or buy a gun etc.
You're in a freaking gun store with tons of cool s**t to look at and play with.
I bet your wife doesn't complain with there is a wait at Joanns or Michaels. She looks around at all the stuff she likes.
I bet your kids don't complain when they have to wait at Toys R Us do they?
So take a lesson from them. Get your number and then go walk around and look at all the cool stuff you wish you could have.

frankm
02-22-2012, 2:50 PM
Well, last Friday I went to Turners and bought a 10/22. This time I didn't hear anyone outright lie to customers. And yes, the computer was slow and was ticking off the employees. The manager helped me, a scruffy lad, and he asked how my Howa 1500 was doing that I purchased last time. He didn't help me when I bought it, it was some other manager. I said fine but when I got it the scope was kinda nicked. He asked if the other guy offered my anything like a discount or something. I said, "No, not even a box of ammo". He said, "weak", as he shook his head. So, he was cool with me. And good ol' Russ was walking around helping people. I didn't see that other manager nor the sales guy who outright lied to a Marine in front of me. So, maybe it's getting better?

beb1954
02-22-2012, 3:12 PM
What I have not seen anyone mention, and apologize if this point of view is a dupe but,....

Turner's is a retail chain store with a bunch of hourly knuckle heads that are either just that or maybe you will find someone, retired military that was an armorer. but still just hourly employees all making whatever they do. I'm sure that the hourly people are not that far off from one another in wages.
An FFL in an independent shop who is working for himself is of another matter. He is working for himself, BUT,.. it is the livelihood that he choose just as the KH's walked into that store and filled out that application.
A ppt is a ppt is a ppt. and the retail store employee is getting paid the same amount as he would selling a box of ammo.
The Indy on the other hand is making a set amount that is all him except what is going to the gov. for fees etc. He will make more on selling the one or three other guns that the customer will buy while he is maybe taking a little longer with the DROS if not too busy and others waiting... where the other store is still making the same amount with the DROS and even if there are ten guns, BUT,...... THAT is controlled too with the one gun every 30 days limit UNLESS it is a PPT... SO,.. how is one to sort all that out but more important is any of it reason to or can it be justified to treat the customer anything other than the best they can?
The behavior that kingkev described can be seen in every place you go anymore. All but the few always there, exceptions... Now I could easily give what I think my explanation for this is but that would be 'Politically Incorrect", right? Well, you're a product of your environment and nobody can deny or legislate that reality away. All of those that live with their head stuck in the sand can ignore it and pretend this is not so, however, this is exactly what it is no matter how much denile. They can pull their head out of the sand or whereever they have placed it, and all of it will still surround them..
Anyone take notice of the rudeness of the out of state FFL's or their refusal to even deal with us??? (please see above)
My last time at Turners' was one of the worst experiences I have ever had and the management was just playing with themselves and 'ignoring' what was going on around them.... Makes me wonder where they came from.

Mac7504
02-22-2012, 3:39 PM
Well, last Friday I went to Turners and bought a 10/22. This time I didn't hear anyone outright lie to customers. And yes, the computer was slow and was ticking off the employees. The manager helped me, a scruffy lad, and he asked how my Howa 1500 was doing that I purchased last time. He didn't help me when I bought it, it was some other manager. I said fine but when I got it the scope was kinda nicked. He asked if the other guy offered my anything like a discount or something. I said, "No, not even a box of ammo". He said, "weak", as he shook his head. So, he was cool with me. And good ol' Russ was walking around helping people. I didn't see that other manager nor the sales guy who outright lied to a Marine in front of me. So, maybe it's getting better?

Norwalk? Russ is the man! I refuse to dros with anyone else..lol. Well, maybe one or two. Thumbs up! Rich, Russ, and Jesse all seem to help when in need.

I have no issues, and will continue to shop there.

frankm
02-22-2012, 5:08 PM
Norwalk? Russ is the man! I refuse to dros with anyone else..lol. Well, maybe one or two. Thumbs up! Rich, Russ, and Jesse all seem to help when in need.

I have no issues, and will continue to shop there.

Kearny Mesa, I think it's Russ. Maybe not, he's the old guy with the Santa beard. Nice fellow.

gr8dragon88
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Yes, PPT transfers are normally exempt from the 1-in-30 rule.

Handguns PPTs are exempt from the 1-in-30 rule in most of CA, except for gun stores within LA city limits like Reseda.

For example, if you have DROSed a PPT handgun somewhere in CA within the last 30 days, then go to Reseda/LA city limits and purchase a new/used/private party handgun then you'll need to wait pass 30 days from the last handgun PPT DROS to submit another handgun DROS. Otherwise your second DROS will get rejected and you can be fined along with losing the DROS fee.

However, there's no problem with submitting a handgun DROS in Reseda then do a handgun PPT DROS at another gun store outside of LA city limits. You may want to wait a day to submit the second DROS to prevent any issue.

The LA city rule is spelled out in their municipal code under section 55.14:

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/lamc/municipalcode/chaptervpublicsafetyandprotection?f=templates$fn=d efault.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:lamc_ca$anc=JD_55.14.

There are some exemptions to this rule i.e. law enforcement, licensed collectors, licensed dealers, etc.. , which are listed on the link above.

LA also bans sales of “ultracompact firearm” such as any pistol, revolver, or other firearm, which has an overall length of six and three quarter inches (6.75") or less or an overall height of four and one half inches (4.5") or less, as measured with the magazine detached. This rule also has exemptions similar to section 55.14 above.

175_MPH_SS
02-23-2012, 2:15 AM
I miss B&B Guns in a serious way. But I can't complain, Jordan at the Covina Turner's has made my last 2 firearm purchases quite pleasant. He's very knowledgable and easy to work with.

kauaibuilt
02-23-2012, 8:51 AM
Reporting live from the Pasadena branch...arrived a few minutes before 6pm...number served = 79...I pull #85...it's 6:45pm, and we're at #83...

Observations:

-- the personnel there are complaining a LOT about how slow the HP laptop they're using is and how much they love Mac

-- younger red shirt personnel engage in unnecessary banter with each other which adds to (my!) wait time

-- black shirt personnel are working hard and as quickly as possible (kudos!)

-- WTH! more unnecessary banter with more customers stacking up...can I out certain red shirt personnel?

-- all but one red shirt behind counter...the rest are in the back office? it's been 10 min...come out and help already!

-- two people were helped without taking a number...I'd balk but they might have been LEO *shrug*

-- 6:56pm my number is called! woot!

-- 7:12pm I'm out the door with my new SR-22!

I'll add to this later when I'm home using a real keyboard instead of phone...

***Update: Concluding Thoughts***

Since I had to go to the Pasadena Turner's to pick up my pistol after it served mandatory jail time, I thought I'd take the opportunity to report - in real time - what I would surmise to be a typical "busy" night rather than confirm/deny extremes of either horrific or superb service.

Clearly there were a few opportunities for improvement: unnecessary banter between personnel during the mad evening rush in front of customers they were assisting and (worse) those who were waiting to be helped, several personnel disappearing into the back room/office for at least 20 min with 1 reemerging after 10 min (they were still needlessly understaffed at the counter when I left AND I most definitely heard laughter and/or horsing around in the back!), slow computer hardware on top of slow POS system...

There were also great things I observed. The men in black worked really hard and as efficiently as possible. One of the MIB (Hector) took the time to patiently train a new employee, and he also helped an elderly gentleman who brought in an old air/pellet gun he found to see if it could still function and other general info. BTW, someone behind the counter was quick yet cordial when directing the gentlemen to check in his rifle at the front counter. When their attention was tuned into assisting customers, I found the personnel to be knowledgeable and quite helpful...sometimes too helpful, as in more info than what was necessary to make an informed decision, but I digress...

So, should you continue to patronize Turner's? I would say a qualified "yes" in that like my experience above (and many similar ones over the few years I've been shopping at Turner's), each store has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Within each store you'll have great people who care about their customers' satisfaction, and you have people who...um...can reach to get the ammo behind the counter for you :laugh: Also, peak times are more or less predictable. If Turner's is logistically more convenient for you, then I guess it's worth a bit of time to get to know the personnel so you know who to go to, and when to go, for "most" of your varying firearms needs.

...and I heard they sell fishing gear...I have yet to confirm this rumor...

This is similar to my experience a few days ago picking up my Marlin 60. 2-3 red shirts standing at the cash register with an occasional black shirt while a female red shirt (didnt get her name) worked her booty off selling an LMT (dood seemed had no idea what she was talking about but "it looks cool"). Red shirt that helped me was cool but had to find it in the back, do the paperwork, do the computer work, get it cleared by a manger, get it cleared at the front registers, then check the SN again before I coudl leave - actual time was in the neighborhood of 45 min (after waiting 45-60 to even get seen which wouldnt be a problem if those other 3-4 werent hanging at the cash register). I actually got lucky as well, gentleman that was there got sick of waiting and left, giving me his number - about 8 ahead of what I had pulled myself.

*edit - forgot to add. The older asian guy that works there is great, very knowledgeable and able to multi-task. I usually stop in when my wife is at Whole Foods to window shop.

BTW - any news on the $5 handling charge Turners charges? It was a while ago you guys were working on it but theres been no update that I've seen.

kingkev
02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
*edit - forgot to add. The older asian guy that works there is great, very knowledgeable and able to multi-task. I usually stop in when my wife is at Whole Foods to window shop.

Oh yeah! He's the person that "administered" my HSC test - Ted. Really nice guy, very patient, and extremely knowledgeable. After the test he took the time to show me a few suggestions for pistols, gave me general advice, etc. Basically he donated his time knowing I wasn't going to purchase anything that day to make an investment in repeat business. That's just a rarity in this day and age.

Funny...I haven't seen him around in a while, but maybe he's smart and gets off work when the early evening rush begins :laugh: