PDA

View Full Version : Saw my life flash before my eyes today

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 5:12 PM
So I took my Dad to Insights in Artesa since he was down, after 30 minute wait we finally get a lane. While standing waiting my turn on the lane a chic two lanes over turns from her lane jumping up and down waving her gun every where, and at least twice it was pointed at my face. I'm like wtf are you doing and I tuck back behind a door. I'm like I'm sure it wasn't loaded and just poor gun safety, and sure as **** she turns around fires a shot. Stupid broad had a shell hit her flabby boob and freaked out and almost took out a few people. Between that and taking like 30 shells to the nose and head, I think I'm done with that place.

Mrfixit687
02-18-2012, 5:39 PM
Yeah I won't go back there. They are not on top of safety rules in that place, I don't really feel comfortable there.

ted caster
02-18-2012, 6:02 PM
While at Markley's in Watsonville a guy in the lane next to me was trying to "teach" his 90 pound girlfriend to shoot a revolver double action when by the time she got the trigger pulled the pistol wasn't pointed downrange and the bullet went into ceiling somewhere! After they laughed that one off the next one went into the shooting table, I think! Then she turns around waving the pistol at everyone saying "I can't" over and over while he stands way back yelling at her "Just do it". Wow, and I payed to go in there?

Thomas1190
02-18-2012, 6:10 PM
Thats why i dont really go to ranges, especially indoor ones. Id be too worried/cautious on what all the other people around me are doing instead of focusing on my shooting. I just take a 30 min drive to some BLM land and have it all to myself. I feel bad for the guys that live too far away for BLM though. I couldnt handle just indoor ranges lol.

ElvenSoul
02-18-2012, 6:25 PM
The Artesia location didn't someone commit suicide there a few months ago?

Speedpower
02-18-2012, 6:37 PM

I don't think so.

Blackhawk556
02-18-2012, 6:38 PM
I blame the people that take them shooting. I bet they didn't even bother to go over the safety rules.

I took my mom shooting about two weeks ago and she slipped on the safety issues 2 times even though I told her to keep it pointed down range. The gun was unloaded at that time but i kept reminding her to keep it away from me.

I'm willing to bet $100 bucks they just handed the gun to her and said, "Here, try it"

Darklyte27
02-18-2012, 6:38 PM
hopefully you did the range some good and told the RO?

1lostinspace
02-18-2012, 6:47 PM
I had some guy wave an Uzi at us and then drop it on the ground!
I remember thinking "this is going to hurt!"

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 6:48 PM
hopefully you did the range some good and told the RO?

I was about too but they left right after that, I think I was too shocked to say anything at first. I just got into shooting last July and this was the first time I shot at a range, have been going to the desert, think I might stick to that. I will give the range in Stanton a shot if it ever opens.

cc56
02-18-2012, 6:55 PM
I always think of the times I DON'T see it! If I see a safety thing I get worried, but imagine all those people in their booth out of sight? I realize getting hit is fairly low statistically, but it is something I have thought about. I was at an IDPA match and someone was into shooting and lost focus. They had to go around a barrel while backing up, the guy turned and flagged like 20+ people with a loaded gun. I hate to say it but in our sport that is a risk, kind of like crashes in racing, and rollovers on ATV's.

omgwtfbbq
02-18-2012, 7:02 PM
Thankfully I only go to outdoor ranges but also when I take people shooting for the first time or even if it's the first time they've shot a particular gun or kind of gun. There is a little safety/nomenclature session before hand. I've taken several first-timers shooting and have always stressed safety first, to the point of warning them that I might come off like an ***, but only because I don't want myself, or anyone else to get hurt.

If I understand the OP correctly, she shot backward, away from the target lanes? That's insane. Very lucky no one was hurt.

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 7:06 PM
Thankfully I only go to outdoor ranges but also when I take people shooting for the first time or even if it's the first time they've shot a particular gun or kind of gun. There is a little safety/nomenclature session before hand. I've taken several first-timers shooting and have always stressed safety first, to the point of warning them that I might come off like an ***, but only because I don't want myself, or anyone else to get hurt.

If I understand the OP correctly, she shot backward, away from the target lanes? That's insane. Very lucky no one was hurt.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant after she was facing away from down range waving her gun at everyone she turned back towards her target and shot, that's how I knew she had a loaded gun.

Fishslayer
02-18-2012, 7:48 PM
Had a chick do that & had my cocked & ready 1911 leveled at my chest 2 feet away with her finger on the trigger & the other hand clawing around between her succulent unprotected bewbers.:eek:

One round in the mag till they get accustomed... The natural reaction (or so I've observed) is to spin away from the line & they completely forget what rthey're doing & what they're holding.

Khafre
02-18-2012, 7:58 PM
I also go to insight shooting range, but I have stopped going there on the weekends. Thats when all of the idiots go out and do some pretty stupid ****. On Fri, Sat, and Sun it gets really crowded and the wait can be atrocious.

The worst thing that happens too often is some group of friends or a dude takes his girfriend shooting with no saftey brief whatsoever and forces her to shoot a shotgun that she can barely hold.

The people who go there with their own firearms are generally fairly safe. Its the people who go there and rent firearms that are a saftey hazard.

As for the spent casings hitting you, yeah that happens often especially if you have a tall guy shooting to the left of you.

The only reason I go there is because it is close and convenient.

barbasol
02-18-2012, 8:11 PM
I prefer blm land too but this could happen anywhere and has happened everywhere. Is it really the ROs at Insight and would another local range have done better?

Not trying to dismiss the gravity of your experience. I'd be pissed too.

Lugiahua
02-18-2012, 8:14 PM
There is a reason why I always wear my body armor to a range..,

Mana4real
02-18-2012, 8:14 PM
Some people just aren't aware of the safety hazards of firearms. This is also the reason why when I take my wife to show her how to shoot, there's going to be. A session of explaining the range and safety rules at home. I also plan on just putting one round into the guns until she gets comfortable (someone else mentioned this and that's how I teach people too).

To the OP. I'm just glad that nothing happened.

MontClaire
02-18-2012, 8:16 PM
Haha....life flashes before some people's eyes at chabot almost every weekend! You should see some idiots who go there.

MontClaire
02-18-2012, 8:17 PM

Wont save from a headshot.

Knomad
02-18-2012, 8:29 PM
Don't let your guard down outdoors, either. There's a spot by the river near here where local folks go to shoot, there are rarely more than a few people there even on weekends and most of them are pretty careful.

But one evening after putting a few rounds through targets I was walking back to the car and in passing a group of three young men with an AR-15, I realized that each of them had a bottle of hard liquor in their hand. Had I known that earlier I would have left immediately.

Dhena81
02-18-2012, 8:31 PM
I've never had any problems there probably because I usually go on the weekdays but I have had problems at Burro. Some a holes where shooting rocks because they shot their target down I was shot with a ricochet I still have the slug its either 9mm or .40 S&W. I blew a head gasket and started yelling at those @$$ clowns I embarrassed my mom from everyone wondering WTH my problem was they left shortly. I won't put up with any crap at the range if there's a problem I won't hesitate to call them out and inform the RO if necessary.

bill_k_lopez
02-18-2012, 8:44 PM
I blame the people that take them shooting. I bet they didn't even bother to go over the safety rules.

I'm willing to bet $100 bucks they just handed the gun to her and said, "Here, try it"

The people who take them there don't know the safety rules either, and that's EXACTLY what they do - drag their girlfriends down to the range in short little skirts, sandals and cleavage, then hand them the BIGGEST thing one of them has managed to purchase (or rent) and say "Here try it".

Insight isn't any worse than Firing Line or Angeles or Burro - just depends on when you go. My first experience at Angeles was on a Saturday - I said I'd never go back, then I went one Friday morning and it was a completely different experience (and I'd NEVER go on a Saturday anymore).

---

And I think the OP is a drama queen. "I saw my life flash before my eyes", come on dude - really? Must not have been a bright flash.

LBDamned
02-18-2012, 8:46 PM
I was about too but they left right after that, I think I was too shocked to say anything at first. I just got into shooting last July and this was the first time I shot at a range, have been going to the desert, think I might stick to that. I will give the range in Stanton a shot if it ever opens.

what range is this?

*sorry for off topic

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 8:50 PM
The people who take them there don't know the safety rules either, and that's EXACTLY what they do - drag their girlfriends down to the range in short little skirts, sandals and cleavage

There was some broad wearing 5" heels and I was cracking up.

And I think the OP is a drama queen. "I saw my life flash before my eyes", come on dude - really? Must not have been a bright flash.

Just trying to draw people in, thanks for your thoughts, don't know what's worste being a drama queen or a troll.

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 8:53 PM
what range is this?

*sorry for off topic

I think it's called Field Time. They were supposed to be opened in January but now it saws April

bill_k_lopez
02-18-2012, 8:54 PM
Just trying to draw people in, thanks for your thoughts, don't know what's worste being a drama queen or a troll.

Wah wah wah......

and its "worse" not worste...sissy. Do you fear for your life when a guy muzzle sweeps the room at Turners too?

zfields
02-18-2012, 9:00 PM
The people who take them there don't know the safety rules either, and that's EXACTLY what they do - drag their girlfriends down to the range in short little skirts, sandals and cleavage, then hand them the BIGGEST thing one of them has managed to purchase (or rent) and say "Here try it".

Insight isn't any worse than Firing Line or Angeles or Burro - just depends on when you go. My first experience at Angeles was on a Saturday - I said I'd never go back, then I went one Friday morning and it was a completely different experience (and I'd NEVER go on a Saturday anymore).

---

Seen this way, way to many times.

I started my girl off with a 22lr revolver, then on to .45. Last time she shot the SP01, I swear she outshot me the first few mags.

23 Blast
02-18-2012, 9:01 PM
I've been going to Insight for years, and I've seen my share of idiots there. Usually you can spot them by the fact that they're usually more interested in getting pics of themselves and their friends for Facebook than actually learning to shoot. It's why I avoid it unless its a weekday, and preferably before the evening rush.

hyperion.excal
02-18-2012, 9:01 PM

Range turtle :D

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 9:07 PM
Wah wah wah......

and its "worse" not worste...sissy. Do you fear for your life when a guy muzzle sweeps the room at Turners too?

Haha the English teacher just called me a sissy, Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, also didn't know Turners showed their guns loaded

LBDamned
02-18-2012, 9:14 PM
I think it's called Field Time. They were supposed to be opened in January but now it saws April

sweet! I wasnt aware of that place... I just signed up for updates on their website.

Thanks for the heads-up!

DMorris2321
02-18-2012, 9:17 PM
sweet! I wasnt aware of that place... I just signed up for updates on their website.

Thanks for the heads-up!

NP, saw their booth last August at the gun show in Costa Mesa and have been waiting for it to open.

Low-Pressure
02-18-2012, 9:36 PM
Been going to Insight for a while. The RO's tries their best to teach newbies as much as they can. I've only been there a few times on the weekends, and yes it is crowded. A lot of newbies and the RO's are extremely busy. I see them watch and teach newbies on the lanes as much as they can. As stated, some of the customers take newbies and forget to tell them about the safety procedure.
My friends and I now only go there during weekdays.

HKMadness
02-18-2012, 9:56 PM
It sucks shooting around stupid people. The last outdoor range I had a membership at, didn't have that problem since I always had the members area all to myself. Big difference from what the op described and some noob shopper at turners though.

Mr310
02-18-2012, 9:58 PM
I've been going to Insight for years, and I've seen my share of idiots there. Usually you can spot them by the fact that they're usually more interested in getting pics of themselves and their friends for Facebook than actually learning to shoot. It's why I avoid it unless its a weekday, and preferably before the evening rush.

This. So much this. My friend leveled a Sig at a girl who kept on sweeping us at LA Gun Club a couple of years back. I haven't been back inside since.

SWalt
02-18-2012, 10:47 PM
I guess there are a lot of idiots in the world. I don't know how anyone wouldn't be told or understand, always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction. Isn't that just common sense? I know.......common sense ain't so common anymore.

hkfooey
02-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Stay away from the indoor range during weekend and week night - too many newbies, trying to impress their girlfriends... scary....

mindwreck
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
This is why I teach the person how to handle a gun before we get to the range.

and at the range i don't hestitate to tell off the idiots. You point a gun at me, thats a threat and i will have words with you. How bout a slap in the face for your facebook picture.

Neptune
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
I stay off ranges unless in an organized class with experienced people. Public ranges are uber sketchy.

--

weekend_plinker
02-19-2012, 12:10 AM
When I lived in the bay area. I was at target masters one night. A couple of guys in the lane next to me rented a couple of guns. They had swept the loaded guns a couple of times my directions. The second time I asked them not to do it again. They said ok sorry. Well less then 30 seconds later they did it again. This time I grabbed the gun out of his hand and pointed it in the air and said you need to leave Now. I thank I scared the **** out of them, As they left real quick. All this happened on a Wednesday night too.

The last time at this same range. I was in the second lane from the left. I had been shooting for about 30 min. This gentleman walked in with a nice lady. He proceeds to hang his target runs it out may be 7 yards. He starts rapid firing and not even hitting center mass. His bullets are all over the target. During his crazy shooting , his brass is flying over the small barricade and hitting me.
I instantly put down my gun on the table and step back. When hes done shooting I look at him and ask him politely. What are you doing. He comes back in a rude way " what do you mean". I said the range rules say no rapid firing and point to the signs posted on the stalls wall. He comes back with the comment, I am a cop I can do any thing I want.
I calmly go tell the range officer what he is doing. He responds back with ya we allow peace officers to rapid fire. This pissed me off as they would not do any thing or say any thing to this guy.
When I went back into the range I loaded up all my firearms except my 45. I emptied my entire magazine into this officers target and keep it center mass in a tight group. I quickly load my 45 into its case. I tell the lady that he is with that the tight group in the center of his target are mine and not his. It was pretty obvious as they where mine as he was shooting a 40 and I was shooting a 45. I then proceed to walk out of the range tell the range officer. I will not be paying for my range fees that night and I am not planning on returning to there range again. They gave me my Id and did not say a word. I have not returned there since. I will go other places with out the idiots.

kellanmeigh
02-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Admittedly, this was fifteen years ago . . .

Went to the range with my brother to chew through several hundred rounds of .38 special. We're in the middle of the long bay, working on our grouping when this 'tard comes in with some very expensive custom .45's.

'Tard gets in the bay to my left, hangs a target at 10 yds, proceeds to practice his 'Punk Hold' (pistol held rotated 90 degress left), doing double and triple taps. Annoying as all hell.

'Tard then starts semi-rapid firing with a normal hold, popping me with the spent brass. I politely ask 'tard to please stand closer to the barrier so the brass won't strike me. He replies, "I'm a cop. Don't piss me off." Kind of sweeps us with his weapon once. Goes back to spitting his brass at me, over the wall.

I calmly pull out my .454 Casull (scoped), hang a new target, run it out to the end and patiently wait for 'tard to begin a string. The report from "Bertha" (and the resulting muzzle flash) causes tough guy to pull his shots. Even put one in my target and killed the binder clip on my brother's target carrier.

After 5 rounds, I bring the target in so 'tard can see it. One tight, 5 shot group of 2" in the head area of the target. (I wasn't trying for a good group) d00d packs his stuff and leaves. Range master comes in, says 'tard is butt-hurt we spoiled his night. Thanks us for running him off, says 'tard comes in every Tuesday night after 7 if we're interested.

that was the last night I stepped foot in the place. There are nicer, safer places to shoot in the bay area.

The Old Warhorse

23 Blast
02-19-2012, 6:34 AM
I guess there are a lot of idiots in the world. I don't know how anyone wouldn't be told or understand, always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction. Isn't that just common sense? I know.......common sense ain't so common anymore.

People, even trained people, can be remarkably careless when around lots of dangerous stuff. We see it when "the only person professional enough to handle a Glock fo-tay" manages to plug himself in the leg, we see it when automobile drivers manage to wreck their cars over lapses in attention, we see it when lathe operators manage to get "caught up in their work."

When it comes to guns, honestly I think too much of our "training" comes from stuff we see on TV. It takes very little to figure out how a firearm operates, far less than it takes to operate a car, and people figure, once they got the basics of chambering a round and pulling the trigger, that's about the extent of the training they need.

yuccales
02-19-2012, 6:49 AM
Thats why i dont really go to ranges, especially indoor ones. Id be too worried/cautious on what all the other people around me are doing instead of focusing on my shooting. I just take a 30 min drive to some BLM land and have it all to myself. I feel bad for the guys that live too far away for BLM though. I couldnt handle just indoor ranges lol.

You got that right. We are very lucky to be able to head into the TNF.

Lumpia is sarap!
02-19-2012, 7:17 AM
At least it's never a dull moment at the range, unless you get shot then you're really screwed.

MrExel17
02-19-2012, 9:08 AM
OP I know how you feel, people still don't understand safety especially when others bring them along that too lack this knowledge. Like most I go on weekdays too, thanks for sharing!

pacifico23
02-19-2012, 9:13 AM
When I lived in the bay area. I was at target masters one night. A couple of guys in the lane next to me rented a couple of guns. They had swept the loaded guns a couple of times my directions. The second time I asked them not to do it again. They said ok sorry. Well less then 30 seconds later they did it again. This time I grabbed the gun out of his hand and pointed it in the air and said you need to leave Now. I thank I scared the **** out of them, As they left real quick. All this happened on a Wednesday night too.

The last time at this same range. I was in the second lane from the left. I had been shooting for about 30 min. This gentleman walked in with a nice lady. He proceeds to hang his target runs it out may be 7 yards. He starts rapid firing and not even hitting center mass. His bullets are all over the target. During his crazy shooting , his brass is flying over the small barricade and hitting me.
I instantly put down my gun on the table and step back. When hes done shooting I look at him and ask him politely. What are you doing. He comes back in a rude way " what do you mean". I said the range rules say no rapid firing and point to the signs posted on the stalls wall. He comes back with the comment, I am a cop I can do any thing I want.
I calmly go tell the range officer what he is doing. He responds back with ya we allow peace officers to rapid fire. This pissed me off as they would not do any thing or say any thing to this guy.
When I went back into the range I loaded up all my firearms except my 45. I emptied my entire magazine into this officers target and keep it center mass in a tight group. I quickly load my 45 into its case. I tell the lady that he is with that the tight group in the center of his target are mine and not his. It was pretty obvious as they where mine as he was shooting a 40 and I was shooting a 45. I then proceed to walk out of the range tell the range officer. I will not be paying for my range fees that night and I am not planning on returning to there range again. They gave me my Id and did not say a word. I have not returned there since. I will go other places with out the idiots.

Sounds like you had a bad day in general. The cop was ALLOWED to rapid fire. You got butt hurt about something he was ALLOWED TO DO. So you proceed to shoot his target? Wow surprised the cop was so cool about it. I def would've shot your target to crap shot your holder and made the rest of your range day horrible as possible.

JTROKS
02-19-2012, 9:49 AM
There should be a time frame when LEOs can rapid fire. There are ranges around the bay area that will have qualifications day/night for LEOs. Just be aware of it when you see a few claiming to be LEOs rapid firing at your local range.

fordfreak510
02-19-2012, 10:11 AM

That was back in 2008. I've been in there quite a bit and I leave when I see a bunch of kids or bros renting pistols. I watched a guy pointing his gun to his left while looking at something on the side of the frame and it went off. The round went high into the ceiling, but in my direction. Let's just say he was escorted off the range. Pretty scary.

UserM4
02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Would it be in bad taste if, at the shooting range, you shot the idiot waving their gun at you?

Tarn_Helm
02-19-2012, 11:47 AM
So I took my Dad to Insights in Artesa since he was down, after 30 minute wait we finally get a lane. While standing waiting my turn on the lane a chic two lanes over turns from her lane jumping up and down waving her gun every where, and at least twice it was pointed at my face. I'm like wtf are you doing and I tuck back behind a door. I'm like I'm sure it wasn't loaded and just poor gun safety, and sure as **** she turns around fires a shot. Stupid broad had a shell hit her flabby boob and freaked out and almost took out a few people. Between that and taking like 30 shells to the nose and head, I think I'm done with that place.

Next time, report it.

Then demand that she and her shooting party be removed instantly.

If the management declines to act, inform the management that you intend to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau, the CA State DoJ Bureau Firearms, all other relevant authorities and the news media.

If the management ignores you, demand a refund of your membership and then carry out what you said you'd do.

That place should be shut down.

If people act like that at the Burbank Firing Line, they are kicked out immediately--that is my experience.

In any environment of people, you will suffer exactly what you tolerate from those around you. If you don't like how others act, you take action to change their behavior. If you cannot be effective in that, leave. Your life is not worth the experience of shooting at stationary paper targets.

That whole scenario is insane.

Do something about it.

Speak up.

Write letters.

Change the way they operate.

Your complaints can establish needed norms.
:mad:

fordfreak510
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Would it be in bad taste if, at the shooting range, you shot the idiot waving their gun at you?

haha I would say so. It's all about intent. Now if they did it with anger and in a threatening way you have the right to defend your life.

Mr310
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you had a bad day in general. The cop was ALLOWED to rapid fire. You got butt hurt about something he was ALLOWED TO DO. So you proceed to shoot his target? Wow surprised the cop was so cool about it. I def would've shot your target to crap shot your holder and made the rest of your range day horrible as possible.

Exactly.

12voltguy
02-19-2012, 1:34 PM
Next time, report it.

Then demand that she and her shooting party be removed instantly.

If the management declines to act, inform the management that you intend to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau, the CA State DoJ Bureau Firearms, all other relevant authorities and the news media.

If the management ignores you, demand a refund of your membership and then carry out what you said you'd do.

That place should be shut down.

If people act like that at the Burbank Firing Line, they are kicked out immediately--that is my experience.

In any environment of people, you will suffer exactly what you tolerate from those around you. If you don't like how others act, you take action to change their behavior. If you cannot be effective in that, leave. Your life is not worth the experience of shooting at stationary paper targets.

That whole scenario is insane.

Do something about it.

Speak up.

Write letters.

Change the way they operate.

Your complaints can establish needed norms.
:mad:

BBB.LOL
nobody cares what the BB says, they can't do squat:facepalm:

kellanmeigh
02-19-2012, 2:54 PM
There should be a time frame when LEOs can rapid fire. There are ranges around the bay area that will have qualifications day/night for LEOs. Just be aware of it when you see a few claiming to be LEOs rapid firing at your local range.

Agreed.

I think the 'tard I had a run-in with was not an LEO. Mall cop, maybe but not an LEO.

And to all the LEO's on the board, I'm not putting you down. I have a number of LEO's in my family, mostly in the Oklahoma/Arkansas area. I realize you have to practice and I'm sure if I pointed out that you're hitting me with your brass while digging a hot one out of my shirt pocket, you would probably say you're sorry and do something to rectify the issue. I know my family would.

The Old Warhorse

LBDamned
02-19-2012, 3:21 PM
BBB.LOL

they are a rating system... like Yelp (or itrader on forums)... I dont know the exact procedure, but when they get a complaint, they send info to establishment for correction - if no response (or no correction) it negatively affects their rating.

I'm sure some places don't give a crap about their BBB rating - but I wouldn't want to do business with a place that doesnt.

Alpha 1-4
02-19-2012, 3:49 PM
Exactly the reason I prefer BLM with no one else around me.

dobsy5111
02-19-2012, 3:53 PM

what he said

Tarn_Helm
02-19-2012, 3:59 PM
BBB.LOL

You have obviously never waged any kind of public relations campaign.

Crawl back into your trailer.

You can't do squat.

That doesn't mean others can't.

Bugger off.
:cool:

AlpineWeiss
02-19-2012, 5:03 PM
What is it about indoor ranges and the idiots they attract? I've hardly shot at them but EVERY time I go (save for once in Texas) I get flagged. There are always people posing for pictures mid magazine.

Maybe the whole idea of having to have a buddy to rent a gun needs to be revisited. I assume it's for suicide prevention... but it also means people do things they wouldn't normally do.

I've seen some sketchy stuff at Chabot, but its usually people hanging around the shooting benches during target change periods, I think I've only been flagged there once. They could do with more staff there for sure.

I agree with others that said you should have drawn attention to the situation. The problem is these people went home with out learning anything. Seems to be the way these days though, lots and lots of power wielded by people that don't really understand or respect it.

calif 15-22
02-19-2012, 5:33 PM
What is it about indoor ranges and the idiots they attract? I've hardly shot at them but EVERY time I go (save for once in Texas) I get flagged. There are always people posing for pictures mid magazine.

I've seen some sketchy stuff at Chabot, but its usually people hanging around the shooting benches during target change periods, I think I've only been flagged there once. They could do with more staff there for sure.

I agree with others that said you should have drawn attention to the situation. The problem is these people went home with out learning anything. Seems to be the way these days though, lots and lots of power wielded by people that don't really understand or respect it.

As a newbie shooter having been to the range 5 or so times, i think the problem is ranges rent guns. That always seemed strange to me that a group or couple can decide one afternoon "hey lets go shooting". They have nothing invested, no classes, no hsc, to training, didn't have to wait 10 days nothing. I shoot a lot at Reeds and I would gladly pay double the $16 bucks for an hour if the range was for gun owners only. Not a private club just not a rental range. I'd be curious how much they make on rentals if you factor in the extra insurance they must have to have to allow any joe to shoot.

Fyi last time out there was a young couple 2 lanes over Guy in mid 30s with a hottie girlfriend in Daisy Dukes with boots up to the knees. She was posing for pics with the barrel towards her mouth in a very provacative manner. Not just one pic but several.

Turbinator
02-19-2012, 8:26 PM

Very nice. Exactly the kind of community building responses we love here.

:rolleyes:

Turby

hyperion.excal
02-19-2012, 8:36 PM
Very nice. Exactly the kind of community building responses we love here.

:rolleyes:

Turby

Drop the hammer on him :D

Turbinator
02-19-2012, 9:41 PM
Drop the hammer on him :D

Done and doner!

Turby

freonr22
02-19-2012, 9:50 PM
Btw. The bbb is a joke. Is is a pay per rating system.

LBDamned
02-19-2012, 9:59 PM

Maybe the whole idea of having to have a buddy to rent a gun needs to be revisited. I assume it's for suicide prevention... but it also means people do things they wouldn't normally do.

Yep, just like traffic on our freeways... its not too many people - its to many stupid people.

1UpThePipe
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
I haven't seen quite the stupidity others have here, but I notice the incredible amount of ceiling holes at my range and it's clear there is a serious amount of inexperienced folks who shoot there.

Shotguns were banned not too long ago too because some dumbass brought in buckshot and took out several target holders.

AlpineWeiss
02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Yep, just like traffic on our freeways... its not too many people - its to many stupid people.

I drove in 26 states last year. When I got first got back into the bay area I was passing a guy going 60 in the left lane while simultaneously being passed by two cars doing 95-100 in the far right lane, weaving through traffic. I thought "Man, it's a free for all here"

My next thought was "You know there is a disproportionately high volume of really stupid people in this state, I guess there actually is a valid rationale for most of the safety laws..."

While pondering that last thought I come over a crest on the freeway and see one of the above mentioned cars crashed into the center divide, the other off the side of the freeway and 3-4 (probably innocent) wrecked cars scattered across the rest of the lanes. Meanwhile half the oncomming traffic decided braking was the best course of action while the other half decided to maintain speed and employ evasive action.

And these people can group together and just walk into an indoor range...

23 Blast
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
As a newbie shooter having been to the range 5 or so times, i think the problem is ranges rent guns. That always seemed strange to me that a group or couple can decide one afternoon "hey lets go shooting". They have nothing invested, no classes, no hsc, to training, didn't have to wait 10 days nothing. I shoot a lot at Reeds and I would gladly pay double the $16 bucks for an hour if the range was for gun owners only. Not a private club just not a rental range. I'd be curious how much they make on rentals if you factor in the extra insurance they must have to have to allow any joe to shoot.

Actually - I wonder if rentals has any bearing on the liability insurance they have to carry. I imagine that insurance companies are perhaps not all that familiar with typical operations of a shooting range, so they just give a blanket policy for the fact that there's lots of guns present and lots of ammo being expended. The fact that they rent to newbies with zero training probably doesn't adjust their premium upward.

But I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. I've only rented a few of their guns at times, (for the purpose of trying out a gun I was thinking of buying), and each time they made sure I had brought my own gun with me. I thought that was to make sure I knew what I was doing with a gun, but I realize it was more for the fact that I was by myself and they wanted to make sure they didn't have a potential suicide case on their hands. Apparently groups that come without their own guns can rent guns - which is outrageous in my mind. It's like Hertz renting a car to someone without a driver's license.

One time I was there, there was a young man there (probably late teens, or early twenties) with two girlfriends. They asked for help because their gun wouldn't fire. IIRC, it was a Browning Buckmark .22LR. I drop the magazine, and lo and behold, they had loaded the rounds in BACKWARDS! :eek::facepalm::confused::facepalm::face palm:

It was all I could do to not laugh at them, but at least once I showed them how it was done, they actually maintained muzzle discipline. Thankfully they only stayed a short while, though.

But yeah - idiots of the ilk you describe annoy me not merely because they're poseurs and wannabes, but because they're unsafe and when you sometimes try to correct them, they don't take it well (more the men than the girls - as of course, ANY man should know how a gun works :rolleyes:)

hyperion.excal
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Done and doner!

Turby

:clap: Turby is my hero

Rocket Man
02-20-2012, 1:39 AM
Me & the Mrs envite our newbie's over to the house for dinner well before the range time & spend a couple hours going over safety & handling.

We tried shooting up at cow mountain once, man what a dump, somebodies girlfriend pointed a shotgun with buck in it right down the line, everyone started yelling at her & the boyfriend, you could tell he felt like a well deserved dumb ***.

Turbinator
02-20-2012, 8:37 AM

Just because the officer was ALLOWED to rapid fire... doesn't mean he SHOULD and CAN. Just think about that for a moment.

Turby

Below.Zero
02-20-2012, 8:40 AM
:no: I wouldn't go back there....

BigDogatPlay
02-20-2012, 8:51 AM
Since it was mentioned a couple of times a reminder.... if you are taking your lady to the range, have her wear something with a high collar or a crew neck shirt. Yeah we all like to check their racks out, and you certainly want to show off your hot girl to all your buddies and the world.

But hot brass down the cleavage causes a lot of the behavior we see in this thread.

DMorris2321
02-20-2012, 9:11 AM
Since it was mentioned a couple of times a reminder.... if you are taking your lady to the range, have her wear something with a high collar or a crew neck shirt. Yeah we all like to check their racks out, and you certainly want to show off your hot girl to all your buddies and the world.

But hot brass down the cleavage causes a lot of the behavior we see in this thread.

Trust me their was no hotness going on with this one, easy two bills like most of the ladies that were there. The two decent ones came dressed like they knew what they were doing and I was wishing they were dressed like the cows were.

LBDamned
02-20-2012, 8:12 PM
I drove in 26 states last year. When I got first got back into the bay area I was passing a guy going 60 in the left lane while simultaneously being passed by two cars doing 95-100 in the far right lane, weaving through traffic. I thought "Man, it's a free for all here"

My next thought was "You know there is a disproportionately high volume of really stupid people in this state, I guess there actually is a valid rationale for most of the safety laws..."

While pondering that last thought I come over a crest on the freeway and see one of the above mentioned cars crashed into the center divide, the other off the side of the freeway and 3-4 (probably innocent) wrecked cars scattered across the rest of the lanes. Meanwhile half the oncomming traffic decided braking was the best course of action while the other half decided to maintain speed and employ evasive action.

And these people can group together and just walk into an indoor range...
it's a damn shame

locosway
02-20-2012, 9:55 PM
This is a good time to remind people that SAFETY IS EVERYONE'S BUSINESS!

If you see someone turning around with a gun, correct them if it's safe to do so. Or wait until they aren't a threat and then let them know it was unsafe. Or if you're worried about a confrontation, talk to the RSO/RO. There's NO excuse for people being unsafe on the range, even if they're new shooters.

puRe59
02-20-2012, 11:09 PM
I haven't had a bad experience yet. I usually go to Firing Line (HB) and I think they do a pretty good job of weeding out first time shooters (the ones who come in a group and have no idea what they're doing). I remember them rejecting a group of 4-6 guys who had zero experience shooting.

454-shooter
02-21-2012, 11:02 AM

I Googled them, this is their website FieldTimeTargetandTraining.com.
What follows is from their website:

21,000 Square Foot Indoor Range & Training Facility
25 Yard Pistol & Rifle Lanes
All Caliber Handguns Permitted*
Rifle Calibers.223/5.56 7.62 - .308 30-06 30-30 Permitted

That means I can shoot my FA454 without having to go all the way to Burro Canyon! I can also shoot my AR, M1 Garand, and Mauser indoors! Where can you do all that. I think this range will be very sucessful.

LBDamned
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I Googled them, this is their website FieldTimeTargetandTraining.com.
What follows is from their website:

21,000 Square Foot Indoor Range & Training Facility
25 Yard Pistol & Rifle Lanes
All Caliber Handguns Permitted*
Rifle Calibers.223/5.56 7.62 - .308 30-06 30-30 Permitted

That means I can shoot my FA454 without having to go all the way to Burro Canyon! I can also shoot my AR, M1 Garand, and Mauser indoors! Where can you do all that. I think this range will be very sucessful.

yep, I'm looking forward to it! I'm glad DMorris2321 mentioned it, but it's gonna be a crowded place I suspect!

This can't take the place of an outdoor range though... Burro is still great for distance shooting (private ranges though, I've heard too many horror stories about kooks on the public range, so I always reserve private).

A-J
02-21-2012, 1:04 PM
Even experienced folk can have brain farts. I hate to say it, but my wife was one of them recently. Round in the chamber, in the middle of a mag, she turned to say something to me and still had her finger on the trigger. Fortunately, I'm paranoid and saw it coming and grabbed her wrist, keeping the weapon pointed down range. She never got more than 45 degrees off of pointing straight down range, but it still was unsafe IMO. We went over fundamentals again after that one.

Rebellious
02-21-2012, 7:37 PM
Range turtle :D

^^:)

carlosdarwin
02-21-2012, 7:42 PM
My wife did the same thing once and I near sharted my knickers. Didn't see my life flash before my eyes, but if it did, I'm sure it would be rated PG-13 (for adult themes and some brief nudity).
:D

weekend_plinker
02-21-2012, 8:32 PM

No the rapid firing is not what bothered me. It was that all his brass was flying over the wall and hitting me. I am guessing he had an 18 to 20 round magazine, that's not fun when get that much hot brass flying at you. If the range had not been full I would have moved to another lane. I had already packed my stuff up when I put my 8 rounds in his target. If that is the type of training he received for accuracy. That's scary as his bullets where all over the full torso target at only 7 yards and at least 5 or six where off the torso into the white area. I putt all mine in the dead center of his target, center mass may be 1 inch group. I walked out and said to him have a nice night.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
02-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I stay off ranges unless in an organized class with experienced people. Public ranges are uber sketchy.

--

don't mean to burst you bubble, but that^is exactly where I got shot