PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With TDS Guns in San Diego?

S470FM
02-18-2012, 2:30 PM
So I went to TDS Guns in Bonita the other day and was shocked by what I learned. I asked if they had or sold magazine rebuild kits, but was told that no, they didn't (the reason given was that TDS Guns did not want to condone anything illegal by someone assembling an illegal mag) and I bought it. A bit later, I was wandering to the back of the store (where AR parts are kept) and saw BB magnets that they'll happily sell you (which, if you decide to use on your AR, will convert your rifle into an AW). :confused:

I live in South San Diego and I will drive many, many miles to a far superior and unnamed gun shop in Solana Beach and give them my business.

Oceanbob
02-18-2012, 2:35 PM
........yawn........................

.45JHP
02-18-2012, 2:58 PM
I think that gun stores should be allowed to do whatever they please with their businesses (selling high cap parts kits, performing SSE, etc.). As long as you know the law just bring your business somewhere else. I do, however, have a problem when gun stores spread fud that something is illegal when it's clearly legal. Just my $0.02.

Rukus
02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
WTF, not long ago TDS was selling rebuilds thru the commercial sales section...I know because I jumped on the deal and it was one of the worst experiences ever. I ended up getting overcharged and was sent half as many kits as I ordered. I believe it took another 2 shipments before they got it right. Never again.

Dazwhoa
02-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Concur with OP, I will take my business elsewhere! Too bad, I was stoked to see a Gun shop in the south, but when they told me they are not doing SSE, ill just go up north in Solana beach. Oh well would have been nice to save some gas.

oldsmoboat
02-19-2012, 4:25 AM
...saw BB magnets that they'll happily sell you (which, if you decide to use on your AR, will convert your rifle into an AW). ....
Nope.
I use mine in my M4 in my all the time. After I install my .22 conversion kit.

candrews0480
02-19-2012, 5:41 AM
I just bought a Beretta Px4 at that unnamed shop in Solona Beach and those guys were very cool. Great customer service and if they don't have a specific rebuild kit in they have no problem ordering it for you. They are even willing to take your order over the phone and ship it to your house for a small fee of course. So if you don't want to drive up there just give them a call. Oh and hey do SSE too.

BucDan
02-19-2012, 5:43 AM
I live just north of them, never went there, now my hopes for a good store in south sd is dead. I bet they won't last long without an ffl license that they said they would get, but it has been a few months already.

Ibefuz
02-19-2012, 6:19 AM
The few times I've went there, I talked to the guy in charge and he said they have their ffl and all there other permits or what not, they are just waiting on the city permit to sell guns. I don't know what kind of paper work is involved to run a gun store but that's what I've been told

FatalKitty
02-19-2012, 6:42 AM
TDS up here only sells magazines that have been riveted by them - they don't hold 10 rounds, they hold 9.5 and even then won't fit in a closed bolt AR
I just drive a little further to SBR for magazines, they happily sell rebuild kits at $13 each and have plenty of blocks there for converting them to 10 rounders.

IMHO it's not up to the gun stores to enforce the law, consumers know what the law is... it's their responsibility, not TDS'

it sucks cause I really hate SBR. the staff at TDS are much more friendly and knowledgeable. oh well.

ramona3388
03-13-2012, 2:34 PM
........yawn........................

+1........Seriously........

bloodhawke83
03-13-2012, 3:07 PM
TDS up here only sells magazines that have been riveted by them - they don't hold 10 rounds, they hold 9.5 and even then won't fit in a closed bolt AR
I just drive a little further to SBR for magazines, they happily sell rebuild kits at $13 each and have plenty of blocks there for converting them to 10 rounders.

IMHO it's not up to the gun stores to enforce the law, consumers know what the law is... it's their responsibility, not TDS'

it sucks cause I really hate SBR. the staff at TDS are much more friendly and knowledgeable. oh well.

:confused: Never had a problem at SBR, TDS are the ones that ignore me.

rareair
03-13-2012, 4:44 PM
I live just north of them, never went there, now my hopes for a good store in south sd is dead. I bet they won't last long without an ffl license that they said they would get, but it has been a few months already.
The few times I've went there, I talked to the guy in charge and he said they have their ffl and all there other permits or what not, they are just waiting on the city permit to sell guns. I don't know what kind of paper work is involved to run a gun store but that's what I've been told

Just went into TDS last week, looks like they have all the permits. They had a few Kimber 1911s and some CZs. I was told they are expecting more inventory in the next few weeks

BucDan
03-13-2012, 5:03 PM
Nice!

Now I need a AK mag source.

Maddog5150
03-14-2012, 2:49 AM
Yawn is right. They dont feel comfortable selling rebuilds so that is thier business. They didnt spread any FUD, they spread a fact. If you arent using them to rebuild a mag and are just throwing them together, that isnt exactly kosher. I've seen countless people at gun shows or at gun shops who "joke" that they are going home with their new rebuild kit and throwing it together because "how would anyone know?"
I love when I hear that excuse of, "How would DOJ know I didnt own these before the ban?" Yet they are holding a rebuild kit for an xd45, M&P, P2000, or SR9. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

rareair
03-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I've seen countless people at gun shows or at gun shops who "joke" that they are going home with their new rebuild kit and throwing it together because "how would anyone know?"
I love when I hear that excuse of, "How would DOJ know I didnt own these before the ban?"

Many of the polymer AR mags are also date coded.

gun505
03-14-2012, 4:30 PM
I went there to take a look, and they have their ffl now. All this over magazine kits, you even went on yelp?? c'mon man.

DJ Skillz
03-14-2012, 4:45 PM
Many of the polymer AR mags are also date coded.

That doesn't matter.

krisjon
03-15-2012, 5:41 AM
That doesn't matter.

That's also what stippling is for. ;)

johnny_boy02
03-15-2012, 6:12 AM
So I went to TDS Guns in Bonita the other day and was shocked by what I learned. I asked if they had or sold magazine rebuild kits, but was told that no, they didn't (the reason given was that TDS Guns did not want to condone anything illegal by someone assembling an illegal mag) and I bought it. A bit later, I was wandering to the back of the store (where AR parts are kept) and saw BB magnets that they'll happily sell you (which, if you decide to use on your AR, will convert your rifle into an AW). :confused:

I live in South San Diego and I will drive many, many miles to a far superior and unnamed gun shop in Solana Beach and give them my business.

You sound like a fan boy of a different shop just trying to take business away from TDS.

Lucky for you we live in a country where you can run your mouth AND where a business owner can choose to run his business however they see fit.

al8550
03-15-2012, 6:29 AM
Yup just make the drive!

.45JHP
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
That doesn't matter.

Correct, doesn't matter of its blocked to only accept 10 rounds. If you're talking about rebuilding a legally owned hi cap magazine you possessed prior to the ban, you can completely rebuild a 30 rounder with a new polymer mag- no old parts need to be retained.

Also, possession of a completely assembled 30 round magazine is not, in and itself, outright illegal provided you possessed them prior to the ban.

SDPATRIOT1
03-30-2012, 8:06 AM
You cant make everyone happy. I love that place, they are always cool with me