PDA

View Full Version : Guns stolen Thu 2/16/12, Sacramento :(

SactoTodd
02-18-2012, 2:17 PM
On Thu 2/16/12, during the day, someone broke into my house, broke into my gun locker, and stole my guns. Not to get into to much detail, but some things, some in my control, and some out of my control, could have been done better.

I feel like absolute total crap.

Stolen were:

Sig 220 combat .45
CZ75 SP01 Tactical 9mm

I hate even thinking that some criminal now has these 2 handguns. The money to replace them is nothing, the emotional ties is nothing. It's knowing my guns are out on the street.

Also stolen:
Winchester 1894, Octagon Barrel, 32 Winchester Special
Serial # 570754

Browing A5 Magnum 20, 20 gauge
Serial # 69X 25473

Winchester Model 37, Single Shot 12 gauge
No serial number on gun.

These were my grandfathers, irreplaceable. Very little monetary value. but to me, priceless.

I don't know what's worse. Losing guns of thug value with no emotional ties to me, or guns that have no thug value, that meant the world to me.

-Todd

BassNut
02-18-2012, 2:28 PM
That sucks. I've been through the same thing with over 20 guns stolen. Fortunately they were all recovered as it was some neighbors that stole them. The idiot also took a check book and tried to cash a check at a local store that knew who we and they were. IDIOTS.

I hope you can recover you guns.

roushstage2
02-18-2012, 2:34 PM
I hope you get them back!

w55
02-18-2012, 2:34 PM
That is horrible. had family pistols stolen in 1977, really sucks.

I just about have the collection back but still not the same.

Hope they turn up.

MRbaker
02-18-2012, 2:37 PM
Dang, sorry to hear that happened. Wishing you luck on that thief getting caught.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

email
02-18-2012, 2:42 PM
You probably know who did it. That's usually the case.

I lost a handgun once. $70 Parma Auto 9 (22lr). It was broken AND missing the firing pin.

To this day, I hope karma ran over that SOB.

cc56
02-18-2012, 3:13 PM
I hope you at least get back the family guns. I would hate to lose any of my handguns, but losing family ones would hurt the most.

Napalm Bulldog
02-18-2012, 3:17 PM
I once had a gun stolen and got it back over ten years later. They found it in some NLR dooshbags car. Luckly it was not used in a crime so it was later returned to me. I hope yours find there way home also. Keep your head up.

Joe
02-18-2012, 3:31 PM
The punishment for stealing guns should be comparable to treason

Intimid8tor
02-18-2012, 3:34 PM
The punishment for stealing guns should be comparable to treason

Oh, you mean they get elected to a higher office. We don't do anything about most cases of treason.

FRIZZLEFRY
02-18-2012, 5:45 PM
Sorry for your loss.

What kind of gun locker?

chim-chim7
02-18-2012, 8:05 PM
Sorry for your loss.

What kind of gun locker?

I dont think brand matters. Lockers alert thieves where your guns are at, but don't offer any security to keep them out. They scream, hear I am, hear I am. Lockers might keep young kids out, but not anyone who wants your things.

Cheap safes are the same. Minor hand tools to open. A high end EXPENSIVE safe with a minimum 1" thick door is needed to keep smash and grab crooks out.
Professional crooks can break into good safes but it will take a long time and might alert others with their noise, or equipment needed.

At minimum anyone with any gun safe should have a hidden autodialer in the room.

OP, sorry about your loss. Hopefully you will recover them. I can't imagaine what guns getting stolen feels like. :(

SactoTodd
02-21-2012, 1:20 PM
Some comments:

It was just a cheap locking metal cabinet, to keep my 3 yr old safe. It was not intended to keep out thieves, in fact, I kept the key right on top. They didn't find the key, they helped themselves to my tools in the garage to break it open.

Mistakes I made:

I was having heat/AC work done at the house, as many as 7 different people were in & out of my house. I was not at my house 100% of the time while the work was going on. I couldn't be. NEVER AGAIN.

I'm sure the safe was visible at some point. NEVER AGAIN

I had ammo out on a desk, for my friend. Easily visible. NEVER AGAIN

I had all my long guns in gun cases. If I had them just in the safe, I'm not sure they would have taken them.

I had given the owner of the AC company my house key. Little to my knowledge, they had hidden it outside! It was there for almost 2 weeks. NEVER AGAIN

Either one of the workers, or a friend of theirs did it. Pretty obvious to me.

My thoughts:
One of the workers saw the ammo/gun cabinet and told someone. They knew about the key, and my work schedule. That explains no forced entry. The come in, rummage through some drawers either to find more guns, or make it look random.

I've reported the new key info to the sheriff. Now what?

Ishoot
02-21-2012, 1:39 PM
Wow...you are (were) a very trusting person. Hopefully you get your guns back.

SouperMan
02-21-2012, 4:13 PM
I hope you get your guns back. I understand...it's not about the monetary value, it's the sentimental value of the guns. Hope the thieves get their just desserts.

Don Edmondson
02-21-2012, 4:56 PM
Might help if you post the name of the ac company. might speed things up Don

The Gleam
02-21-2012, 6:37 PM
I'm not trying to add to your stress but this is definitely something you should think about and nobody else has mentioned it so far.

As easy as it was for them to get what you had, and that they now know your schedule & interior layout of your house, somewhere, they might be thinking there were some things they missed, and come back another day to look for more easy pickin's. Unfortunately that is common, not rare. Thieves like this will hit the same house several weeks later or repeatedly. :(

drkphibr
02-21-2012, 8:40 PM
I'm not trying to add to your stress but this is definitely something you should think about and nobody else has mentioned it so far.

As easy as it was for them to get what you had, and that they now know your schedule & interior layout of your house, somewhere, they might be thinking there were some things they missed, and come back another day to look for more easy pickin's. Unfortunately that is common, not rare. Thieves like this will hit the same house several weeks later or repeatedly. :(

This ^^^.

A coworker of mine had his place broken into last month and a bunch of stuff was taken. Considering how trashed his place was, they were there for a long time, suggesting they knew he would be out for a period of time (i.e., knew his schedule). Pretty traumatic in all. What took it to the next level in fear was they came back less than a week later (lock had been changed, etc.) and grabbed what they couldn't on the first run. Just unbelievable. Talk about being violated...twice.

NotEnufGarage
02-21-2012, 8:50 PM
What area of Sacramento did this occur in?

Ford8N
02-21-2012, 9:34 PM
Might help if you post the name of the ac company. might speed things up Don

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You will be helping A LOT of others in the future.

Sam
02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd like to know the AC company as well, simply so I can steer clear of a company that is careless.

NytWolf
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Todd. That really sucks. Hope you get them back.

Anti-Hero
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Man that really stinks. The worst part is the heirlooms, that's really unfortunate.

Below.Zero
02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Man I am truly sorry to hear that! :mad: Hope you get your guns back and they catch the d-bag(s) that did it!!

Mr10
02-22-2012, 6:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, look at this as a lessons learn and fix what needs to be fixed and do what you gotta do...

Things like this is getting to common and it sickens me. Time for all of us to review our own home security.

BucDan
02-22-2012, 7:58 PM
Yikes! Hope you get gem back. These stories sadden me.

What neighborhoods do you guys live in? I'm in the ghetto and the tight knit neighborhood makes it a true community criminal watch program in itself since everyone knows everyone and people are always out on the streets playing or socializing, unlike suburbs where it is a ghost town in the streets with everyone in their houses never coming out to talk or play.

Worries me when it'll be my time to get a home, if suburbs will turn against me even if there is no tagging or gang violence. Maybe the ghetto is for me?

Agent 0range
02-22-2012, 9:07 PM
Man that sucks. I've been contemplating how to store my guns to keep them out of reach of my kids (both under 2), and out of sight, yet allowing for easy access if necessary. Was going to get a safe, but these horror stories have deterred that idea. I'm starting to think a hidden compartment in the wall or floor is the way to go for me.

Really hope your guns find their way home.