PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted: Buy Online or Local

Shadow
02-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I am conflicted. I have bought almost all my firearms from one retail store in my area. I like the people and the service but today I went in to check in on a price for my next revolver and was surprised at their prices.

Buds Gun Shop has it for 840
The brick and mortar has it listed for 1025

This is a huge difference. I want to support my local shop but at this price I simply can't.

If I buy online I will incur taxes and what, a 25 dollar fee for the transfer? Am I missing any other fees for purchasing online?

Trying to do an honest price comparison.

Packy14
02-18-2012, 12:15 PM
your ffl will also charge you between 50-100 for out of state transfer; and now they will charge you tax @ the time of Dros.

DVSmith
02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
My FFL is a bud of mine and I get the "good guy" rate, so I am not a good one to help you compare, but have you asked them if they would budge on the price? Explain why. Some stores will listen, and if you are as good a customer as you sound they might work with you to keep your business.

Press Check
02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Supporting your local shop is ideal, so I would try to negotiate the price prior to resorting to an online purchase. If not, you're looking at Interstate Tax, the Transfer Fee, whatever Buds charges to ship, time added to the purchase, and the occasional surprises associated with purchasing a firearm, sight unseen.

The only time I purchase online is when the firearm is not on the roster. Otherwise, I negotiate and try to support local vendors.

oldsmoboat
02-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Bud's generally has free shipping.
I just bought a 22 online.
$308 ($319 here but no one has them in stock)
$0 Tax (FFL will charge me here)
$0 Shipping
$35 to FFL here

I'll end up spending $15 more than if I bought it at Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin but it's worth the $15 to get it sooner and support a local FFL.

Distro
02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
There is a $185 difference, you have to figure out how much your FFL Fee will cut into those savings vs shipping time to actually receive and start the process. Personally if the FFL fees were $100 or more I would rather just forget the $85 savings and go in and get the gun today.

Edit: Just looked at the preferred FFL's in the Oakland area on Buds website, they showed anywhere from $75(50 fee + 25 DROS) up to $125 (didn't mention the breakdown) so that is probably about what the fees would fall into for most FFL's, add that to the price and you aren't saving all that much more.

Shadow
02-18-2012, 1:01 PM
Edit: Just looked at the preferred FFL's in the Oakland area on Buds website, they showed anywhere from $75(50 fee + 25 DROS) up to $125 (didn't mention the breakdown) so that is probably about what the fees would fall into for most FFL's, add that to the price and you aren't saving all that much more.

840 + Tax + Fee + DROS = 999 to 1050
1025 + Tax + DROS = 1152

100-150 saved is a lot of dough.

I'll see if I can get them down 100 in price and then it's a deal.

keenkeen
02-18-2012, 1:26 PM
1025 + Tax + DROS = 1152

Yep...you've got it figured out. Good luck!

Rob454
02-18-2012, 2:24 PM
I am conflicted. I have bought almost all my firearms from one retail store in my area. I like the people and the service but today I went in to check in on a price for my next revolver and was surprised at their prices.

Buds Gun Shop has it for 840
The brick and mortar has it listed for 1025

This is a huge difference. I want to support my local shop but at this price I simply can't.

If I buy online I will incur taxes and what, a 25 dollar fee for the transfer? Am I missing any other fees for purchasing online?

Trying to do an honest price comparison.

$80 sales tax charged by receiving FFL
$35 DROS fee ( its a wash cause you gotta pay it anyway)
50-150 Receiving fee from FFL this varies so lets say $100 to make it average. Some FFLs have $150 receiving fee.

All told you are probably gonna pay a extra 100-180 at a local FFL. BUT with that extra comes the satisfaction that you keep a local business open and that if there is a problem when you receive it ( say it has a scratch, finish is rough etc) you can simply refuse to pick it up and have them order you another.

You can also ask the FFL if they are willing to do a little discounting if you buy from them rather than online. yes you will pay more at a brick and mortar in California even with a discount. But you will never know if they will give you a discount if you don't ask. if i were the shop owner I would rather give a discount or maybe throw in a few boxes of ammo or a holster than to completely lose the sale

calif 15-22
02-18-2012, 4:39 PM
1025 + Tax + DROS = 1152

You have to remember it's always going to be more at a brick and motar than online. While $100-$150 seems like a lot it's really only 10-13% of the purchase price. Think of it as a like a "tip" when you go out to eat. Good service, prompt attention, order was right, I tip 18-20%. Same for our local Gun Shops. For that 10-13% you get to shop for hours, hold dozens of guns, normally get good info and can compare models, etc. You also get a place to go if you have issues, need supplys without paying shipping or having to wait for deliveries. There are so few good gun dealers left (especially in Nor Cal)

Or you could always ask them "Hey I can get it $100-$150 cheaper online. Can you split the difference with me?"

Good luck either way . . .

Sunday
02-18-2012, 4:48 PM
I go to my favorite shops and ask them if they can match or come close to the online price. Then if so I will buy local otherwise it is the online price . The only real power we have is in how we spend our money and I exercise my power. Unfortunately most people do not attempt it. That IMO is why this country is in the mess we are in.

Jay9
02-18-2012, 4:48 PM
I just went through this last week. I found it $200 cheaper online.

My local shop wanted to charge CA tax plus $125 to do it and said that if they had it in stock they probably wouldn't even agree to do it. In the end, I understand their position. They take it do all the paperwork, and what happens when you don't like the gun and want to return it? Now they are in the middle of that transaction as well.

For me, if it's anything less than $200, it doesn't really make sense. I realize that some money is lost but hopefully some goodwill is won by buying from the store where I can actually handle the weapons and talk to the staff about their experiences, etc.

Sunday
02-18-2012, 4:50 PM
Have you tried B2 gunshop in Rohnert Park???

sfhondapilot
02-18-2012, 5:09 PM
I made a number of out of state purchases (one on gunbroker) and my FFL in South San Francisco charged $80, including the DROS - so $55 for the FFL transfer. For me, this FFL is one of the closest to me so it even saves me time versus some of the better priced gun stores in the Bay Area.

There are affordable FFL transfers available, you just need to do a little more searching.

GL

Blackhawk556
02-18-2012, 5:47 PM
You will save about $100 by buying online.

When did bud's remove the "california handgun" section????

SpoonKiller
02-18-2012, 5:57 PM
I just paid $425 + DROS and taxes for an LC9 at my local gun shop, I could have saved $50-100 buying it online but I think it's important to support your local gun shop, ex SFOD and SEALs have to eat too! ;)