PDA

View Full Version : OK what is the real poop on bullpups?

submaniac
02-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I am not in the market for a bullpup rifle, and have never shot one (due to the fact that they're kind of pricey and I don't really know anyone who has one). But I really would like to know what others opinions on the design is.

On one hand alot of countries have gone to the bullpup configuration and used the IMI Tavor, Steyr Aug, Famas, etc. design.

On the other hand, of the rifles that have been seriously considered for replacement of the M4/m16, the SCAR, HK416, etc. they're not bullpup designs.

So is the bullpup config really a great improvement over the standard config rifle?

m03
02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Depends on what you value the most. If you want the shortest configuration possible while still using a barrel with a decent length, bullpups are the way to go.

osis32
02-18-2012, 12:37 PM
I like it but it definitely takes getting used to for mag changes. The bull pup is very unnatural and unless feature less really garbage for mag swaps. Like the previous poster said best for shortest possible rifle barring side and under folders.

Peter.Steele
02-18-2012, 1:10 PM
Bullpups are also usually utter crap for lefties to shoot. Also, because the distance between your trigger and your FCG is so long, the messy linkage setup usually results in a trigger that's not generally the best.

Moonshine
02-18-2012, 1:23 PM
Basically bullpup rifles look cool and if you need something different in your safe you get one to add variety. Other than that the only practical advantage I can see is you get a full length of pull and sight radius in a very compact package

battleship
02-18-2012, 1:32 PM
FS 2000 good for lefties,
I love mine, the trigger though has allot of creep and takes some getting use to.

pingdork
02-18-2012, 2:56 PM
Agreed on the mag changes being less than ideal, but BBs being necessary on both them and ARs negates the quick mag swap advantage ARs theoretically should have anyway. One time in band camp years ago I had to wear a blue helmet and got to shoot another guy's famas who also wore a blue helmet. I was mightily impressed and would someday like to add a pup to my collection. But I'm not gonna sell my ARs to get one.

Zippiot
02-18-2012, 3:52 PM
With the weight more centered a bpup recoils differently than a more conventional style.
My FS2K pulls to the right if you shoot righty, left if you shoot lefty.
And trigger issues, mag swaps...
Its all NBD for a weekend at the range, more serious if you are going to use this for your life

osis32
02-18-2012, 4:14 PM
I disagree ping. You can use a gpik and it's like you don't even have a bullet button. You can not do that with a bull pup. There is no way you can do what handed mag release actuation with a bb'd bull pup.

GOPOSTALMAIL
02-18-2012, 4:24 PM
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/GOPOSTALMAIL/IMG_0054.jpg

(Cooked) E4 with 18.5" barrel, 30" OAL ; RAW Bush. M17s with 21" barrel, less than 32" OAL.

Just like people says, they look different, being short is easier to hold and maneuver around, looked good or ugly depend on the person, they all go 'BANG' anyway.

chead
02-18-2012, 4:53 PM
They are really interesting. I miss my PS90 :(

pingdork
02-18-2012, 5:08 PM
Osis. Yeah those gpiks look like something I want to try on my AR. Do you have one? Does it interfere with finger on trigger? Is it even legal? I'm an AR guy but still want a pup.

osis32
02-18-2012, 5:21 PM
They're legal and they work pretty well. I don't have any but I've seen them used. I do have a bull pup the mags don't drop free and I can only imagine the difficulty if I wasn't feature less.

saki302
02-18-2012, 5:36 PM
Bullpups are much more size efficient, using up otherwise wasted space in the buttstock. BUT-

The balance is totally different- the rifles are usually tail heavy. I find them easy to shoot, but one of the first rifles I owned (then sold) was an M17S like the one above (vertical foregrip = great idea, no more unholdably hot fore grip).

The FN designs are right/left friendly- so is the AUG, but you have to do a bolt swap over to eject from the left.

They combine the best of both worlds- long barrels for velocity and small packaging for CQB- but yes, mag swaps take some getting used to. The standard mag release on the AUG/FS2K works well with minimal practice, but I never liked the side button release on my M17S.

One other drawback is in case of failure to feed- they're much harder to clear compared to normal long arms- the M17S could be rendered a club if the bolt gets jammed back. The FNs and AUGs have better access and can be disassembled if the bolt gets stuck.

Triggers tend to be crap- almost all designs have a long linkage and plastic trigger parts which add drag to the system, making them long and gritty. I did the ball bearing trigger mod to my M17, and it was about as good as a crap AR trigger (MUCH improved!). The Kel-Tec RFB has the best bullpup trigger I've ever felt- but they cheated- the sear is a long bar which is tripped right on top of the trigger- good thinking out of the box :)

If you plan to use one in a tactical course, practice the mag swaps at home first. You might find that flipping the mags in your carriers works better when the mag well is just in front of your shoulder.

-Dave

jsr3313
02-20-2012, 3:49 PM
I've always liked the look of the Bullpup design. I'd love to have an Aug, but I think I'm leaning more towards the FS2000.

One question: WTH is an gpik?

Sicarius
02-20-2012, 6:59 PM
Another advantage is that they recover from recoil better. Since the action is in the back, there is very little leverage for the recoil to make the muzzle "jump". You can get the performance of a full length barrel in carbine size package or smaller. The weight is shifted farther back so they swing better and feel more snappy. Things that they don't excel at typically... Left handed shooters without modification unless its the FS2k. Transitions to the left side can test your dental work. You really gotta purse your lips on a steyr for example... though it can be done. Mag changes take some practice but I still love the bulpup.
Kevin

drclark
02-21-2012, 6:21 AM
Some folks don't like the idea of the chamber being so close to their face in the event of a kaboom.

Bullpup design makes sense for cartridges that depend bbl length for velocity (5.56) and effectiveness in a close quarters friendly overall length.

With the advent of 6.8 spcII and/or other rounds optimized for shorter bbl lengths, there is less advantage in the bullpup layout (at least for us civies that are limited to 16" bbls, etc)

Jarhead
02-21-2012, 6:47 AM
The AUG takes getting use to but it doesn't take long where your as comfortable with vs your AR. Price only draw back but they are fun shooters and reliable. AUG's and Glocks.

H2O MAN
02-21-2012, 7:20 AM
Mine is a bullpup conversion kit.
I like it for what it is, an ultra compact M14 with an 18.0" barrel.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/Rogue-drum.jpg