View Full Version : New,to me, 1911A1

02-18-2012, 9:31 AM
Picked up a 1911A1, the ser number puts it at 1943...now trying do more research.

One site puts this as a US Signal manufacture, it has the small "p" in front rear sight, and another by the mag release button...but the slide is marked Colt, not US Signal...will try to post pics...

new to 1911 colts and lots info out there did not know!

02-19-2012, 7:05 AM
Not being an expert in any way but am owner of a WWII surplus 1911 all I can say is that the one I own is a parts gun with an Ithica slide and another brand frame which I don't remember since it has been quite a long time since I looked it up. by looking up the serial number

02-19-2012, 7:10 AM
Nice find. US&S are hard to find.

02-19-2012, 9:19 AM
In the New American Rifleman they talk of "Joe's Pistol" A story about a 1911-a1. According to that article the "P's" are proof marks (One on the Slide by the rear sight and a on the barrel above the link pin) The number on the trigger guard is the assmebler's number and letters below the slide stop is the inspector's number. rear of the slide beneath the firing pin retainer is a three digit number that should match the frame number. hope this helps.

02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
post some pics and we may be able to help out (or take it over to the real experts on 1911forum).

From your description it sounds like you may have a re-arsenal or a mix master. Does it have a stamp ending in "A" which looks like it was added later? Example "BA, RIA, SA, AA" , etc?

From a value standpoint:
original, correct condition > government re-arsenal > mix master

anyways if you post some pics we can tell you more.