PDA

View Full Version : Cut and thread a barrel - San Diego?

L4D
02-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know of a shop or person in San Diego that can cut and re-thread an AR barrel?

rareair
02-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Try Duncan's Gunworks in San Marcos. They offer full gunsmithing services

fiddynut
02-18-2012, 2:59 PM
I'm interested in this service also. Let me know if you find anything out. Thanks

04_e46
02-18-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm interested also...one of the associates at rifle gear told me to go on to www.ar15barrels.com not sure how long is turn around time...

Prc329
02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm interested also...one of the associates at rifle gear told me to go on to www.ar15barrels.com not sure how long is turn around time...

Randall does awesome work. He has worked on a few rifles for me in the past.

There is also a guy in Ramona. I'm not sure of the quality of the work. I have emailed a few times about a refinish and they were very prompt in the responses.

http://www.bravo4.com/index.html

04_e46
02-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Randall does awesome work. He has worked on a few rifles for me in the past.

There is also a guy in Ramona. I'm not sure of the quality of the work. I have emailed a few times about a refinish and they were very prompt in the responses.

http://www.bravo4.com/index.html

Where is Randall located at? and how long is the usually return wait for a cut/thread on a barrel? Thanks!

GiggleSwitch
02-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Give JD Machine a call (http://www.jdmachinetech.com/). I had them cut, crown, and re-thread the barrel on my AR for me a couple of months back. I also had them pin and weld the muzzle device on the barrel for me at the same time since I was going from 16" down to 14.5". I think they charged me around $100 for the job and it only took them a couple of days. I stopped by the shop, dropped off my upper, and had it back in about a week. Good people and quality work. Cheers, Ryan.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I am having Parallax Tactical do mine. They send them out to a gunsmith to have them done, but they are inexpensive. The catch is they wait until they have several barrels to do before they send them off. Mine is there waiting to go. If you guys take yours in they will likely get put in this batch and head out to be finished pretty quickly.

-Mb

L4D
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I am having Parallax Tactical do mine. They send them out to a gunsmith to have them done, but they are inexpensive. The catch is they wait until they have several barrels to do before they send them off. Mine is there waiting to go. If you guys take yours in they will likely get put in this batch and head out to be finished pretty quickly.

-Mb

I think parallax sends them to JD machine anyways. Ill give JD a call and see whats up.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-22-2012, 10:34 AM
I think parallax sends them to JD machine anyways. Ill give JD a call and see whats up.

I dunno. They said they sent them to a guy out of state. That could just be the line they were giving me. I am just hesitant to use JD Machine because they have had crappy prices every time I have called them lately. Like $50 to assemble an upper with my parts, with the purchase of the the stripped upper from them. And their "gun show" pricing versus going there and buying directly from them. They wanted more for one of their stripped lowers bought directly from them than I would have paid for it at a retail store. I used to be a huge fan of JD, but not so much anymore.

-Mb

kris smith
02-22-2012, 1:21 PM
The guy in Ramona is really new

L4D
02-22-2012, 3:46 PM
I dunno. They said they sent them to a guy out of state. That could just be the line they were giving me. I am just hesitant to use JD Machine because they have had crappy prices every time I have called them lately. Like $50 to assemble an upper with my parts, with the purchase of the the stripped upper from them. And their "gun show" pricing versus going there and buying directly from them. They wanted more for one of their stripped lowers bought directly from them than I would have paid for it at a retail store. I used to be a huge fan of JD, but not so much anymore.

-Mb

Could be. It was months ago when i asked Joe if he could do that for me. He said they sent them to JD. Might be different now. JD charges quite a bit for this service but I may just suck it up and use them.

Prc329
02-22-2012, 5:02 PM
Where is Randall located at? and how long is the usually return wait for a cut/thread on a barrel? Thanks!

I believe he is in the LA area. I was fortunate enough to just go to his spot and get the work done. Never had anything shipped to him. He is a member here under ar15barrels. Hit him up.

baih777
02-22-2012, 5:21 PM
randall is in mar vista. if hes not too busy you can make an appointment and he will do you barrel at night. he has a couple of my barrels right now to cut and thread for muzzle brakes. and he said he is real busy right now. mine has been there a week and half. i dont hurry him. he does good work.

rumblebee
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Unless Randall was unbanned here (?), you'll need to look him up here-

http://www.caprc.com/forums/index.php

Word on the street is, he does great work :cool:

I believe he is in the LA area. I was fortunate enough to just go to his spot and get the work done. Never had anything shipped to him. He is a member here under ar15barrels. Hit him up.

02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
ADCO

fiddynut
03-07-2012, 8:20 AM
Sent mine to Randall on the 23rd of last month. I'll report in when I get it back.

fiddynut
03-28-2012, 4:43 PM
Got my barrel back from Randell a couple days ago. Took about a month. He did what I paid him to do.

L84CABO
03-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Call the guys at Direct Action Solutions in Solana Beach and see if they can do it.

Droppin Deuces
03-29-2012, 9:16 AM
Darin at North County Firearms in San Marcos can do it. $85.

dbo31
03-29-2012, 9:20 AM
JD is the best in SD