PDA

View Full Version : Is my SKS legal and does it need to be registered in CA?

Johnnyfres
02-18-2012, 9:25 AM
I own an 1952r Russian SKS. Stock with no modifications. Has bayonet, 10 round fixed magazine. No "evil" features are installed, like folding, collapsible stock, pistol/forward grip.

I see that the DOJ states SKS with detachable magazine on the list. Not sure if that applies to my weapon?

Also I know pre-ban assault rifles needed to be registered. Does my rifle fall into that category?

Does my weapon require a CA DOJ approved lock for transport?

Thanks

paul0660
02-18-2012, 9:27 AM
nope
nope
needs to be in a locked case to satisfy federal law while in a 1000 foot school zone.

Kinsel83
02-18-2012, 9:35 AM
Your fine. Just don't use detach mags.

heedless619
02-19-2012, 1:42 AM
What if you get a pistol grip?

mosinnagantm9130
02-19-2012, 2:45 AM

It would still be a fixed mag, but if he did that he gets to play the 922(r) game with the feds.

gunsandrockets
02-19-2012, 2:53 AM
It would still be a fixed mag, but if he did that he gets to play the 922(r) game with the feds.

Hmm... have the Feds ever prosecuted anyone for violating 922(r)? I am not encouraging anyone to violate that stupid provision. But it is such an arcane and B.S. law, I wonder if the Feds even care about enforcing it.

And if there have been prosecutions, when was the last one? I'd be surprised if there were any prosecutions after 2000.

mosinnagantm9130
02-19-2012, 3:04 AM
Hmm... have the Feds ever prosecuted anyone for violating 922(r)? I am not encouraging anyone to violate that stupid provision. But it is such an arcane and B.S. law, I wonder if the Feds even care about enforcing it.

Not that I am aware of, but it's best to keep things legal anyways.

bwiese
02-19-2012, 12:25 PM

And if there have been prosecutions, when was the last one? I'd be surprised if there were any prosecutions after 2000.

I believe there were 922r tack-ons to Fed AW ban violations charged to several FFL vendors appearing at the Big Reno Show in Nov 2003 / Spring 2004.

I had walked by these guys' displays and warned them about flash hiders etc. and their remark was, "Aww, they're not bustin' for that."

These individuals plead out right about the time the Fed AW ban sunset.

Fundamental Law Theorem #1: It's not legal to transport dead hookers in your trunk even if your taillights work OK and registration is current.

One very valid reeason to not get near 922r issues is to avoid any PC for warrants or entry into your house.

SJgunguy24
02-19-2012, 2:58 PM

Don't.

Johnnyfres
02-19-2012, 4:11 PM
So my bayonet is legal then?

Can someone explain to me in lames terms what 922r is?

Thanks

Johnnyfres
02-19-2012, 4:12 PM
Also I do not plan on modifying the SKS in anyway.

Librarian
02-19-2012, 4:23 PM
So my bayonet is legal then?

Can someone explain to me in lames terms what 922r is?

Thanks

It's federal law governing the 'sporting' status of an imported firearm.

This - http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html - looks like a useful explanation.

ivsamhell
02-19-2012, 5:24 PM

Don't. thank you. I cringed at that comment.

gunsandrockets
02-20-2012, 4:38 AM
I believe there were 922r tack-ons to Fed AW ban violations charged to several FFL vendors appearing at the Big Reno Show in Nov 2003 / Spring 2004.

I had walked by these guys' displays and warned them about flash hiders etc. and their remark was, "Aww, they're not bustin' for that."

These individuals plead out right about the time the Fed AW ban sunset.

Fundamental Law Theorem #1: It's not legal to transport dead hookers in your trunk even if your taillights work OK and registration is current.

One very valid reeason to not get near 922r issues is to avoid any PC for warrants or entry into your house.

Holy crap! So those poor bastards were convicted just as the law went away? That presents the absurd possibility of people sitting in jail, guilty of violating a law which no longer exists. Bizarre.

I wonder if that was the real reason for the 922r charges, because the AW ban wasn't even going to exist for much longer.

Thanx for the info.

hammerhead_77
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
thank you. I cringed at that comment.

Let's not spread too much FUD... I have a pullpup stock on my SKS and it is rather easy to address 922r compliance. Since it is based on the number of regulated parts, you simply have to get that number below 10...not hard to do in the case of the SKS. (US made gas piston, handguards, stock, trigger and you're there)

That said, the SKS is legal as-is. If you start changing things, I would suggest you heed Bwiese and make your best play at 922r compliance even if it isn't going to be easily / aggressively enforced.

I think you can be certain that your run of the mill Sheriff Deputy / FS ranger / City LEO is not going to know (or potentially care) about 922r and almost certainly will not know if you needed to replace 4, 5 or 6 regulated parts to make your SKS compliant.

Mesa Tactical
02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I think you can be certain that your run of the mill Sheriff Deputy / FS ranger / City LEO is not going to know (or potentially care) about 922r and almost certainly will not know if you needed to replace 4, 5 or 6 regulated parts to make your SKS compliant.

On the flip side, there is so much misunderstanding regarding when and how an SKS is an assault weapon (including in this thread), I'd suggest avoiding modifications to the SKS that make it look too "tactical." Sure a pistol grip on an SKS is legal in most cases, but that won't prevent some misinformed LEO from confiscating it, perhaps arresting you, and certainly ruining your range day. That said, a bullpup SKS sounds pretty cool.

I own a number of SKSes and my favorite modifications are grinding off the bayonet lug, getting Kivaari (http://www.kivaari.com/) to tweak the trigger and installing a Butler Creek stock. Doesn't make it look any scarier, but makes it a far more nimble rifle. I also like installing Harris bipods on SKS and other rifles, and that does make them look scary. Luckily, even the most ill-informed LEO is probably aware there is nothing in the statutes about bipods.

On the other hand, regarding the OP's specific case, and kittens, remember that every time someone hacks up a Russian SKS, God kills a kitten.

http://doodiepants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/masterbate-god-kills-kitten-domo.jpg

That's what Norincos are for.

ElvenSoul
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Russian SKS don't they need the Murray fix to prevent accidental fire?

hammerhead_77
02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Russian ones may or may not have a spring...all the other ones certainly benefit from a Murray's firing pin.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
02-20-2012, 1:49 PM
needs to be in a locked case to satisfy federal law while in a 1000 foot school zone.

are you sure about this?

I thought it simply needs to be transported in accordance of state law. (ie: unloaded)

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(650)969-GUNS

ivsamhell
02-20-2012, 6:22 PM
Let's not spread too much FUD... I have a pullpup stock on my SKS and it is rather easy to address 922r compliance. Since it is based on the number of regulated parts, you simply have to get that number below 10...not hard to do in the case of the SKS. (US made gas piston, handguards, stock, trigger and you're there)

That said, the SKS is legal as-is. If you start changing things, I would suggest you heed Bwiese and make your best play at 922r compliance even if it isn't going to be easily / aggressively enforced.

I don't think either of us were spreading FUD. At least my opinion was based on taking a beautiful SKS(52 russian even) and throwing some hideously ugly pistol grip stock on it.

Johnnyfres
02-20-2012, 6:33 PM
Looks like all post 1950 models have a free float design on the firing pin.

Thanks for that info guys. Just watch a video on a stuck SKS firing pin. Not good.

info from
http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Librarian
02-20-2012, 7:43 PM
are you sure about this?

I thought it simply needs to be transported in accordance of state law. (ie: unloaded)

State GFSZ ignores long guns; Federal GFSZ wants them locked.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Gun_Free_School_Zones

Can't say I've heard about the Federal version being enforced, but it's on the books, so it could be.

hammerhead_77
02-21-2012, 8:45 AM
I don't think either of us were spreading FUD. At least my opinion was based on taking a beautiful SKS(52 russian even) and throwing some hideously ugly pistol grip stock on it.

My sincere apology.... I had somehow taken it as 922r / becoming an AW related - way too much uninformed knee-jerk stuff going on around that. I'm not much of a fan of the looks of a SKS, so that would not have occurred to me...but I did squirm when I started hacking up my never-fired Yugo.