PDA

View Full Version : 1911 vs browning mkIII vs cz75 9mm

armyboy
02-18-2012, 1:18 AM
like title says... let the fight begin! looking for facts... i want all but question is whats first lol.... thanks for the help!:43:

nismoflip
02-18-2012, 1:46 AM
my three favorite guns. I'd get the cz first. theyre getting harder to find and prices are going up...

protoolsnerd
02-18-2012, 1:52 AM
High power and the Cz are very very smiliar guns whereas the 1911 has a totally different style of slide

If you like the smaller lighter , yet thinner and harder to grasp ( in my opinion , for my hands ) slide then go with the browning or the cz.

I'm a 1911 fella myself , but they're all fine guns and all inspired by Mr. Browning

armyboy
02-18-2012, 3:02 AM
thanks guys... its been a tuffy... and i feel so limited with the cali doj list... i have a glock 19 NPV and does alright... i went to this u/o comp a few months ago and got first place with it lol... but it just doesnt do it for me...(first comp ever lol...) theres alot of guns i want that arent on the list... idk if im just wanting what i cant have or there just better guns... alittle of both i think... so limited to specific models. i can get this one but not that one... so time consuming for an average gun nut to find and compermize what he wants lol... i want xdm u cant only get xd... i want wilson combat cqb in 9mm i can only get it in 45... or i want desert eagle in 50AE u can only get 44 ( oh but u cant get the 44 and customize it by taking it to this place doing this and bamb! u got a 50ae..) i just wanna find a gun i like a buy it lol... should have stayed in texas... lol just rambling and fustrated lol I want aware the cz are hard to get...im gonna have to consiter getting that one first then... I just like selection.. and when my time is up all my collection get passed down to my kids...

nismoflip
02-18-2012, 7:42 AM
don't let the roster stop you. do a search on "SSE" here. it's also a sticky topic in the handguns section.

zfields
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Going to say the same thing I have said many times before : )

If your going to go with the 75, Id skip the B, and look for a SP01, or a CZ 75 SA. The grip is quite a bit different compared to the 75B, and I think huge improvement. The beavertail makes the gun much more comfortable, and both of the other models come without a free dropping mag brake already installed.

For the hipower, I do really like them, but I personally think the CZ has some refinements which make it better for me, but I am mainly comparing to the older hipower that I owned, not the mark III.

Only problem, CZ's are damn hard to find right now, even outside CA.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DNEXM2blBjs/TSYbc1-vSZI/AAAAAAAAAEs/m05r8Ff-V2s/s800/IMG_20110106_113435.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-crMb_SOLTCQ/TV7_bVlio1I/AAAAAAAAAHM/w0AaSXfBFJM/s800/DSC00369.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pbMR4vtNVNU/TpCDFhiYFJI/AAAAAAAAAuE/IDOZZt-Kbro/s1024/DSC00648.JPG

paul0660
02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Armyboy, what do you want?

Glock/xd are different from the three you asked about.

I am a DA/SA guy now, so there is only one answer for me.

scobun
02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
I haven't shot the MkIII, but I have a P35 (Nazi Hi-Power) and that thing bites the shiite out of the web of my hand. I actually hate to shoot it.

The 1911 is something you have to have. The CZ is something that it is nice to have. I'd do my buying in that order. :)

armyboy
02-18-2012, 3:27 PM
Armyboy, what do you want?

Glock/xd are different from the three you asked about.

I am a DA/SA guy now, so there is only one answer for me.

yes i know there different lol as for what I want lol... I want it all! brand new socks and draws! lol na i was useing those as examples... out of the poly guns i pick glock hands down... but as for these 3 wize men i want them all... and plan on getting them all...... i dont know any gun nuts around me that have any of these... they all own glock xd s&w poly guns. so i cant test them out to see what i like and dont... so im gonna have to just go out and get them... If i can find them that is lol... i figure the worse case i just clean them up and put it in the safe... (building collection for my kids..)

armyboy
02-18-2012, 3:36 PM

If your going to go with the 75, Id skip the B, and look for a SP01, or a CZ 75 SA. The grip is quite a bit different compared to the 75B, and I think huge improvement. The beavertail makes the gun much more comfortable, and both of the other models come without a free dropping mag brake already installed.

For the hipower, I do really like them, but I personally think the CZ has some refinements which make it better for me, but I am mainly comparing to the older hipower that I owned, not the mark III.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DNEXM2blBjs/TSYbc1-vSZI/AAAAAAAAAEs/m05r8Ff-V2s/s800/IMG_20110106_113435.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-crMb_SOLTCQ/TV7_bVlio1I/AAAAAAAAAHM/w0AaSXfBFJM/s800/DSC00369.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pbMR4vtNVNU/TpCDFhiYFJI/AAAAAAAAAuE/IDOZZt-Kbro/s1024/DSC00648.JPG

i was thinking about the SP01 or the SA wasnt sure if they were on the list. I was gonna look them up today... but thats why I got you fine people lol

railroader
02-18-2012, 4:10 PM
If you go with a cz any flavor will do. I have a 75sa, sp-01shadow a 75b compact and I had a 75b. The sa and the sp-01 frames are different then a standard B but the 75B is a nice gun too. Since you are looking at 9mm guns if you shoot matches with it the standard B might work best. If you shoot with a regular 75b you can shoot production in any match. With the sp-01 it is pretty much too heavy for IDPA. With the 75sa in 9mm it will put you at a disadvantage too because you will be shooting "limited". Somebody correct me on this I am wrong. Mark

armyboy
02-18-2012, 4:10 PM

My question to you guys is if the SA/SP01 simular to the 75B or is it a whole nother aminal???

bigfan
02-18-2012, 5:13 PM
if you are not reloading, you'll shoot the 9s more than your 1911 most likely. so, if you get a 1911 first, you may end up waiting to get the 9s b/c of .45 ammo prices. unless $ is of no object, in which case just get all three as PPT, FTF deals at the same time.

you'll probably buy, sell and trade more than you think once you own a couple, anyway. so the other route is don't sweat it and buy what you like/want the most.

railroader
02-18-2012, 5:32 PM
My question to you guys is if the SA/SP01 simular to the 75B or is it a whole nother aminal???

They are a little different but they aren't a different animal. Both the 75sa and the sp-01 have a swept up beavertail which allows for a slightly higher grip. They also have extended mag releases and ambi safeties. Here's a pic of my standard 75b compact and my 75sa so you can compare the beavertails. Mark

http://i56.tinypic.com/2hs9bow.jpg

kAnJii
02-18-2012, 5:44 PM
I've shot all 3, but own a BHP Practical. Very light gun and pretty accurate, but I really like the SP01 better. Fortunately I talked 2 of my friends into buying one and they love it too. It's heavy but comfortable. The 1911 fits well for my short fingers, but .45 is more expensive than 9mm. I have $600 saved up and deciding whether to buy a CZ or an AR.

bigfan
02-18-2012, 5:52 PM
If thinking Glock - find a Gen 2 Glock 19. No front grip grooves.

And if you're planning to carry - Kahr CW9 is a best buy.

zfields
02-18-2012, 7:12 PM

Railroader hit it perfectly.

The SA/SPO1 has a very similar grip, upswept beavertail, and free dropping mags out of the box. I've been hearing the new 75Bs have the free dropping mags now also.

The cz 75 SA, and the SP01 are both on the list. The sp01 tactical that I have is NOT on the list, but I no longer live in CA. Also, I feel the sp01 shoots a bit different then the 75's, but just due to the heavier weight gives it a bit less felt recoil.

Freq18Hz
02-18-2012, 7:18 PM
Im preferable to the 75b myself, and I like the mag retention.

-Freq

bob_e95482
02-18-2012, 7:24 PM
I have all three. 5 1911's, a CZ75B, and a new Browning Hi Power. Good choices.

stormvet
02-18-2012, 8:43 PM
All are a must have in my opinion, I would just buy the one you can find and afford now and let the others fall into place down the line. That said I do enjoy shooting my CZs more then my Browning.

My preferred shooting order is top to bottom, disregard that ugly old G19 in the corner. But I really enjoy shooting it also.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN2008.jpg

zfields
02-18-2012, 9:00 PM
Im preferable to the 75b myself, and I like the mag retention.

-Freq

Kills it for me, but I mainly use mine for USPSA :chris:

stormvet
02-18-2012, 9:23 PM
I would not let the 75b mag retention be a deal breaker. It took me all of 5 minutes to correct that, all you need to do is smooth the arch out of the sheet metal spring cover on the back of the grip. My 75b drops mags free and easy.

zfields
02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I would not let the 75b mag retention be a deal breaker. It took me all of 5 minutes to correct that, all you need to do is smooth the arch out of the sheet metal spring cover on the back of the grip. My 75b drops mags free and easy.

Its that plus the beavertail, I know bending or reversing the brake fixes it. I also like the safety that is on the SAO better.

BHPFan
02-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Here's my take:
If money is an issue, then get the CZ although someone already posted that it's getting up in price (quite a contrast from 10 years ago, when you could get a 75B for less than $350).

If you feel CZ's are getting harder to find, then try finding a Browning High Power. Those are even harder to find and are much more expensive now (20+ years ago, it was one of the most affordable 9mm pistols and I am talking about the ones made by FN). Besides, BHP's are more expensive than the non-competition (TS) CZ's and maybe just as expensive as the 9mm 1911s.

You can find 1911's, but in .45 caliber mainly. Finding one in 9mm is just as difficult if not more than finding a BHP. Like I said, these are pretty pricy as well.

They are all great pistols, but as much as I love the BHP, I still think the CZ is the better buy for the money (more affordable) and relatively easier to find than the BHP and the 9mm 1911.

bigfan
02-19-2012, 7:39 AM
they all sound like strictly range guns - all full size service pistols. in which case i would go 1911. there is really nothing more accurate from a platform perspective. if you are looking for a gun that can serve at the range, nightstand, camping trip, fishing tackle, then check out the Glock 19 (or a 17 if you want full size again). You could probably buy a used G17 and a new CZ for the price of a new BHP or 1911 for that matter.

zfields
02-19-2012, 9:02 AM
they all sound like strictly range guns - all full size service pistols. in which case i would go 1911. there is really nothing more accurate from a platform perspective. if you are looking for a gun that can serve at the range, nightstand, camping trip, fishing tackle, then check out the Glock 19 (or a 17 if you want full size again). You could probably buy a used G17 and a new CZ for the price of a new BHP or 1911 for that matter.

1911's and P-35s (hipowers) have probably been used in anger more times then glocks could dream of. I wouldnt count them out as SD guns.

Cz's? Not as much, but they were still used by quite a few military organizations in their time.

bigfan
02-19-2012, 9:33 AM
1911's and P-35s (hipowers) have probably been used in anger more times then glocks could dream of. I wouldnt count them out as SD guns.

Cz's? Not as much, but they were still used by quite a few military organizations in their time.

no doubt colt .45 and BHP have likely seen more actual battle time because of ubiquity during world wars. 9mm 1911 not as much. but his application is for today, which appears to be a full size service weapon to use at the range. home SD works with nearly any gun in these calibers. however, if using a 1911 for SD, most would opt for a .45. although number 6 shot 12 gauge is arguably a better choice.

either way, the 1911 can be finicky, as we know. there is an investment in time and tinkering sometimes to make some 1911s both 100% reliable and accurate. That said, my 1911 is my nicest pistol - the heirloom type. but it is not the one I would throw in a tackle box or risk losing during a home SD situation.

stormvet
02-19-2012, 9:47 AM
In other parts of the world, eastern europe, asia, africa the CZ is used by police, criminals, military and concerned citizens much more then the 1911, glock, P-35 or any other gun for that matter. It is still a fairly new player in the western world, not allowed until the wall came down. But it has been the main player in the east for a very long time.

bigfan
02-19-2012, 9:57 AM
And so are (were) pistols manufactured by Makarov, Bersa, and more used for military purposes.

The CZ and its clones designed with the rail riding inside the frame are known as reliable service pistols for sure. All of the listed guns originally mentioned have been or are service (police/military) pistols (but again the 1911 more so in .45). The new CZ is currently the NATO pistol of choice.

BayouBullets
02-19-2012, 9:23 PM
Recently conversing with a 2-time recipient of the bronze star, I asked him if he would prefer to be using the SP-01 instead of the Beretta. He VERY diplomatically answered, "They won't issue them to us." I tried to push him to answer just a little more, but he just smiled, clammed up, then changed the subject to rifles.

gunsnrovers
02-20-2012, 7:15 AM
Love all three. I really liked my CZ and the Kadet kit I had for it was great, but frankly the HP was a little lighter and slimmer in my hand. I only used the CZ cocked and locked. I did not care for the long DA pull. Eventually sold it. Still have multiple 1911's and HP's.

I would have no issue using a CZ and keep thinking I want one again because I did enjoy shooting it SA.

Lead Waster
02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Recently conversing with a 2-time recipient of the bronze star, I asked him if he would prefer to be using the SP-01 instead of the Beretta. He VERY diplomatically answered, "They won't issue them to us." I tried to push him to answer just a little more, but he just smiled, clammed up, then changed the subject to rifles.

I just went to a USPSA match and chatted a lot with a guy who brought his Beretta (Brigadier? I'm not sure, but it had an aluminum frame) and we compared it with the SP-01 I was using. He said HIS complaints about the Beretta were that ... if he cocked the slide from the rear, he had a tendency to flip the safety on. So he cocked from the front, but then he said he had to be careful that the big open slide wouldn't bite his hand. He said his next gun would be a CZ. It was fun though, as we were the two guys who had to shoot DA first shot on each stage so we had that in common, and our skill levels were pretty similar! I believe he'd had that gun for many many years.

And like all comparison threads, there is no clear conclusion because it's so subjective and personal. I took my 1911 (RIA Tactical) to the last match and I was not shooting it very well, so it wasn't fun being the guy that couldn't hit the target. This time I took the SP-01 and I was hitting everything. But I know that in my friend's hand, my 1911 would have hit all Alphas. I just shoot 9mm better.

So which is better? You tell me! And your answer is not my answer.

dbbspider
02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I own a 9MM 1911 and BHP MKIII. Never shot the CZ in 9mm. I did in 40 cal. I am a 1911 fan so I'm a bit bias. The BHP is very accurate out the box, feels good in hand, and looks purdy. The 1911 needed some work to shoot accurate and function properly, but after some work on it, its shoots and functions well, and it looks good. Its difficult to find any of these. The best price is the CZ. U cannot go wrong with any one of these. Pick the one that fits you best and looks the coolest in your eyes. Good luck.