PDA

View Full Version : Question # 200 about 7.62x39 AR

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 6:45 PM
Still unsure what length upper to buy. I am fine with getting a 16" but of course with a 20" I will have better accuracy right? Honestly I will be shooting 99% mil surplus so given the "bad" ammo I will be using will the extra 4" be that much of an upgrade? Are their issues with 20" uppers? Gas system issues? Will probably be making my purchase tomorrow or Monday so a little last minute advice would be welcome.

I will be using this AR for primarily desert plinking and not SD.

What say you?

Richard Erichsen
02-17-2012, 6:51 PM
Still unsure what length upper to buy. I am fine with getting a 16" but of course with a 20" I will have better accuracy right? Honestly I will be shooting 99% mil surplus so given the "bad" ammo I will be using will the extra 4" be that much of an upgrade? Are their issues with 20" uppers? Gas system issues? Will probably be making my purchase tomorrow or Monday so a little last minute advice would be welcome.

I will be using this AR for primarily desert plinking and not SD.

What say you?

You want to shoot cheap surplus 7.62x39 but you are worried about accuracy? 6MOA is as good as most riflemen can shoot at 300 yards. You should have no trouble building a rifle that is more accurate than the average rifleman.

You gain nothing particularly important between 16" and 20" with this caliber, it is well suited to shorter barrels. 5.56 NATO/.223 is much more velocity dependent and each inch of barrel is equal to about 50 FPS.

Choose a proper lower and you should be fine, just keep your expectations for particle beam accuracy in check.

R

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 6:56 PM
I have a question.
What benifit do you get by using 762x39 in an ar platform besides being less reliable than an ak?
Not trying to start a debate just want a respectful non sarcastic answer.
Thanks op

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 7:15 PM
I have a question.
What benifit do you get by using 762x39 in an ar platform besides being less reliable than an ak?
Thanks op

I have always loved my buddies SKS', the last trip we went out I had a rebar bowling pin target thingamajigger out there that we were shooting with .223, 9mm, .40cal and then we busted out the SKS on it and it was actually an errant shot that cut through the rebar like butter(maybe .223 could do it too) and right then I decided that I had to get me something that shot the 7.62 round. I started looking for an SKS but felt like all the ones I was seeing were overpriced so I decided to go with the AR platform because it was something that I could buy that is new and relatively cheap. I bought a stripped lower last April and decided to go ahead and start building my 7.62x39 AR. When doing research I found that C Product mags were the only really reliable magazine options but that they had recently went under and ASC had not really started pumping the mags out in high volume, the lack of availability made me think twice about the x39 project so I set it aside for a bit.

Next I decided to buy an AK "AK's are bad *****" and I actually ogled some of your fine firearms on this very site, unfortunately the only AK's I could find in my price range were WASR's and when even the salesman at Turner's suggested not buying one then I knew there were problems with it. The next option was to build an AK, I live in an apartment and have no tools so I found a gentleman in my area that hosts build parties and while he seemed willing hold my hand through the process I didn't really want to be a burden but I was still on board- then I shot a Romy and I am sorry to say but they are built for midgets, I am 6'4" and have super long monkey arms(I know a nato stock would have fixed this but I love the wood furniture look) so my AK aspirations were put on hold... Then a semi auto shotgun caught my eye and I bought that. Fast forward a few months and I now have my lower completely built and am going with the story that I like the ability to own one lower that can with a push of 2 bolts be changed into a completely different gun... Love of the round and the modularity of the platform...

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 7:38 PM
@op
That is the best explanation ever lol.
But @ 6'4 everything is small to you, heck youd make a mosin nagant look tiny lol.
I was just curious. Show some pics when its done and go 16in

cortayack
02-17-2012, 7:56 PM
I have a question.
Thanks op

My 7.62 AR has been reliable! I shoot cheap steel ammo out of it just like the AK I have....And its pretty dam accurate out to 100yards with iron sights....I have not shot her farther than that....

:43:

wilit
02-17-2012, 8:17 PM
My 7.62 AR has been reliable! I shoot cheap steel ammo out of it just like the AK I have....And its pretty dam accurate out to 100yards with iron sights....I have not shot her farther than that....

:43:

+1... The reason I built mine was just due to sheer ease of ammo stockpiling. I only had 1 rifle in 5.56 and was probably going to be the ONLY rifle I owned in 5.56. I have many more options in 7.62x39 for rifles (that I want to own).

CHS
02-17-2012, 8:18 PM
I have a question.
Thanks op

If you don't want to start a debate, then don't make unfounded statements.

To the OP: Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. Barrel quality, barrel stiffness, and a quality throat/chamber are your biggest factors when it comes to accuracy.

In fact, if you have two barrels with the same profile, one 16" and one 20", the 16" will be more accurate. It's shorter, and therefore stiffer.

Barrel length gives you velocity, which is important for pushing bullets to distance, but not accuracy.

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 8:33 PM

To the OP: Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. Barrel quality, barrel stiffness, and a quality throat/chamber are your biggest factors when it comes to accuracy.

In fact, if you have two barrels with the same profile, one 16" and one 20", the 16" will be more accurate. It's shorter, and therefore stiffer.

Barrel length gives you velocity, which is important for pushing bullets to distance, but not accuracy.

I hear ya, extra velocity on a bullet that isn't coming out straight isn't going to make it any straighter right.

Thanks all. 16" will be first choice

cortayack
02-17-2012, 8:45 PM
+1... The reason I built mine was just due to sheer ease of ammo stockpiling. I only had 1 rifle in 5.56 and was probably going to be the ONLY rifle I owned in 5.56. I have many more options in 7.62x39 for rifles (that I want to own).

Thats what happens when you buy an AK first! You start to stockpile cheap ammo.....LOL!

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 8:47 PM
Wanted to thank everybody for their replies on this and every thread I have started. As a token of my appreciation I am now a CalGuns Contributor. Thanks again everyone

zfields
02-17-2012, 9:36 PM
OP, why not get an AK with a M4 stock adapter, or a NATO stock. Makes it much more comfortable for larger people.

Oh, I am a bit biased though, much more of an AK guy here.

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 9:47 PM
OP, why not get an AK with a M4 stock adapter, or a NATO stock. Makes it much more comfortable for larger people.

Oh, I am a bit biased though, much more of an AK guy here.

I like the wood furniture look. Ak's are friggin expensive and I do like the idea of buying one lower and being able to switch uppers. An AK isn't out of the picture for me in the future but for this purchase I am going AR

FourLoko
02-17-2012, 9:58 PM
do you have an upper picked out?

zfields
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I like the wood furniture look. Ak's are friggin expensive and I do like the idea of buying one lower and being able to switch uppers. An AK isn't out of the picture for me in the future but for this purchase I am going AR

Fair nuff'

Good luck. 762x39 AR's seem to be finicky for the most part.

RonPogi
02-18-2012, 6:33 AM
Try PWS MK114 7.62x39 AR with AK47 DNA :D

try this http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=275&idcategory=11

ThemBastards
02-18-2012, 6:34 AM
do you have an upper picked out?

Several- unfortunately none of them are EVER in stock. I am going to the gun show today to see what they have in I can't find anything I may just go with a Model 1(In stock but processing time is estimated at 15-20 business days):mad:

Turbinator
02-18-2012, 8:00 AM

Modifying his question slightly - what's the benefit of an AR in 7.62x39?

My opinion - you get to use the same platform you've potentially trained on, with the same accessories, but in a caliber that is widely available in current worldwide hot zones. You won't be leaving behind brass and potentially mags that scream "the US was here!" and if needed, in a pinch, you can pick up battlefield leftovers to make do until you can get ahold of supplies of known quality and origin. For civvie shooters, this is a great way to consolidate your ammo types, if you're already an SKS or AK shooter. I also believe surplus 7.62x39 ammo is still cheaper / more affordable than .223, although I've yet to see 7.62x39 prices as low as the mid 90's - used to be $99 or LESS for 1000 rounds.

Any other positives?

Turby

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 8:25 AM
@chs which statement did I make that was unfounded?
Please dont reference the reliability aspect of my statement be the unfounded part!
And if that is what you were referring too, lets just drop it now!
Thanks bud

Richard Erichsen
02-18-2012, 8:47 AM

Several vendors make longer wood stocks for you tall, traditional types. Ironwood Designs is my favorite to work with, others exist. You will have to finish the wood yourself, but the labor is worth it for the bragging rights, or to do things differently that might have a better result.

Boiled linseed is hard to screw up, but neither it nor the "real" tung oil treatments really do it for me. You'll need to sand them extensively before the stain or the fine marks left by the tooling will show up as obtrusive lines that don't look very good.

I went with a stain to match Yugo's teak wood color (the wood was beech, teak is hard to come by, though they have an African sourced replacement now that looks very similar) then applied 12 coats of brushed on satin oil-modified urethane (sanded with fine grit between each coat), about the toughest stuff there is.

R

ThemBastards
02-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Several vendors make longer wood stocks for you tall, traditional types. Ironwood Designs is my favorite to work with, others exist. You will have to finish the wood yourself, but the labor is worth it for the bragging rights, or to do things differently that might have a better result.

Boiled linseed is hard to screw up, but neither it nor the "real" tung oil treatments really do it for me. You'll need to sand them extensively before the stain or the fine marks left by the tooling will show up as obtrusive lines that don't look very good.

I went with a stain to match Yugo's teak wood color (the wood was beech, teak is hard to come by, though they have an African sourced replacement now that looks very similar) then applied 12 coats of brushed on satin oil-modified urethane (sanded with fine grit between each coat), about the toughest stuff there is.

R

Back when I was looking into AK's I found a vendor who made larger stock's but it was pretty expensive and then there was the having to stain it part. In the future I will have one

CHS
02-18-2012, 10:53 AM
@chs which statement did I make that was unfounded?
Please dont reference the reliability aspect of my statement be the unfounded part!
And if that is what you were referring too, lets just drop it now!

You didn't want a debate, so why are you making these unfounded reliability statements and furthering the conversation?

I'll drop it if you stop making statements like that then claiming you don't want to debate.

That's just another way of saying "I think I'm right and I don't want to be challenged".

We know you're an AK guy. That's great. You love AK's and hate AR's. Do you even own any AR's? Do you know much about the platform? When the OP asks questions about AR's, why do you feel you need to come in here and suggest an AK as the solution?

If I have a question about AR's and someone suggests ANYTHING other than related to AR's, I'm gonna call them out on it. Same goes for any platform.

You don't want a debate, but you also have no value to add to the conversation.

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
@chs
Ok lets debate.
I started out with AR's and had MANY in those days! I do currently have 2 AR's.
What makes you think "i hate AR's"?
I respect it for the positives and diss it for its negatives!
And if you truly think the AR is as reliable as an AK, well then I dont know what planet youre living on!
DI is so dirty that its impoosible, the tolerances are so tight it makes any fouling became a risk to functionality!
Now is an AK as paper accurate as an AR? H3ll NO! But please be realistic.
I had a question about why someone would wanna run an ar upper when for the same price they could ger an ak?
Thank you and have a great day chs

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
@chs I never told op to get an ak btw

CHS
02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
DI is so dirty that its impoosible, the tolerances are so tight it makes any fouling became a risk to functionality!

That's so untrue I don't even know where to start.

Where are the tolerances so tight that you have functionality risks?

How is a DI so much dirtier than an AK? Both guns have pistons, just in different places.

A "risk" to functionality? You make it sound like AR's are blowing up in peoples faces all the time.

AR's and AK's are just as reliable as each other with proper maintenance. No matter how dirty they are. And yes, even AK's require proper maintenance.

You really just sound like someone who can't stop beating the drum of the Vietnam M16 woes. There were mistakes made with a brand new weapon system. Everyone acknowledges that. What people like yourself fail to acknowledge is that we've gone back and fixed those issues.

No one's fixed the issues with the AK yet....

I had a question about why someone would wanna run an ar upper when for the same price they could ger an ak?

My reason? Caliber shouldn't have anything to do with rifle choice and vice versa. Because most AR's are in 5.56 doesn't mean you're supposed to stick with 5.56. If you're a fan of the 7.62x39 and AR's, then there is no reason to get an AK. AK's are poorly manufactured flimsy guns with terrible sight pictures and very few options for mounting optics (which don't help anyways due to the accuracy issues you acknowledge).

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
@chs you can try and put words in my mouth or try and dissect my statements however you want but I tell you what, I aint no noob and you wanna call an ak flimsy? Im gonna lmfao and leave it at that!
Get some more trigger time between the 2 then talk to me, btw shooting from a bench rest aint trigger time!
Have a good day....

CHS
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
@chs you can try and put words in my mouth or try and dissect my statements however you want but I tell you what, I aint no noob and you wanna call an ak flimsy?

As long as the receivers are made out of sheet metal, they will be flimsy. The entire receiver flexes during shooting and I've seen more than a few AK stoppages because the receiver rails got bent.

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 12:49 PM
@chs
Bud I dont think you really know what youre talking about, please stop now!
Have you ever owned an ak? Im gonna guess NO.
Bent rails? Lmfao. Now an unproperly put together ak may have bent rails, but just to throw crap on your statement, do you realize how many AK's from the 60's are still used around the world in 3rd world countries? Theyre used for hunting, fighting, hammering, etc etc so much rust that you cant see the paint/park and they still shoot! An ak will out live your kids!

FourLoko
02-18-2012, 4:50 PM
Several- unfortunately none of them are EVER in stock. I am going to the gun show today to see what they have in I can't find anything I may just go with a Model 1(In stock but processing time is estimated at 15-20 business days):mad:

Any chance you'd at least share the list? I've been contemplating an AK because my primal urges like the looks of the larger round/caliber but I already have a lonely AR lower laying around.

If I get desperate enough I might just settle for the Spike's 5.45x39 upper for the sake of novelty and even cheaper ammo.

ThemBastards
02-18-2012, 5:22 PM
Any chance you'd at least share the list? I've been contemplating an AK because my primal urges like the looks of the larger round/caliber but I already have a lonely AR lower laying around.

If I get desperate enough I might just settle for the Spike's 5.45x39 upper for the sake of novelty and even cheaper ammo.

Noveske- out of my price range
Bushmaster always out of stock- Ammo Bros thought they brought one today to the gun show but they didn't have it
DPMS
Del-Ton

there is one other place that has them that I will probably order Monday or Tuesday if they are open but they only have a few so I will play this one close to the chest...
Model 1 has always been an option but even though they are in stock they claim shipping would take a month so they are the last resort...
RifleGear occasionally has them listed on their site but always out of stock...
JSE surplus out of stock
AR15 Performance out of stock

I have forgotten all of the other ones -there are many

Sota arms claims to have them in stock but I can't find any reviews of their uppers so I don't really want to go that route. There is a gentleman on here who told me he would build me one but again there are no reviews of his work(if you want his info let me know)
JD Machine didn't have any at the gunshow today...
Olympic Arms doesn't say if they are in stock or not but I am not sure theirs are CA kosher- can they have a bayonet lug? Olympic Arms AR15 is listed in Appendix B of the flow chart so I don't know if I can get it- I know Colt now has a CA kosher AR so maybe Oly has one too?

it's rough out there man

For such an "unpopular" AR caliber places just can't keep them in stock

cortayack
02-18-2012, 5:55 PM
There's a manufacture/builder on this site, who sells a damn good 7.62x39 AR upper........Check him out JohnnyUSA!

ThemBastards
02-18-2012, 5:57 PM
There's a manufacture/builder on this site, who sells a damn good 7.62x39 AR upper........Check him out JohnnyUSA!

I PM'd him a few days ago and he never got back to me. I looked up his site and his uppers/rifles look really nice but are out of my price range

deadcoyote
02-18-2012, 6:13 PM
I hate to slam model 1 sales but i recently bought some basic AR parts from them. I googled them first and read a fair 50/50 mix of positive reviews and horror stories. I decided it was worth the risk after reading the statement that although they've had issues in the past with identity theft from losing customer data it allegedly hasn't happened since 2009. Within 30 days of purchase B of A sends me an email letting me know the same card was used to pay some guys' bills in South Carolina. I've never been an identity theft victim til now and have been shopping online since the late 1990's. Maybe it was a big coincidence but I certainly feel stupid.

cortayack
02-18-2012, 6:20 PM
I PM'd him a few days ago and he never got back to me. I looked up his site and his uppers/rifles look really nice but are out of my price range

I just checked out his website.....Good prices on 7.62 AR uppers! 419 for a complete A3 upper....I don't think you are going to find anything better for the price.......Model 1 has some cheaper for 365...But you still got to add a bolt carrier and charging handle, so around 500. I don't have any experience with those....

Good luck!

ThemBastards
02-18-2012, 6:25 PM
I just checked out his website.....Good prices on 7.62 AR uppers! 419 for a complete A3 upper....I don't think you are going to find anything better for the price.......Model 1 has some cheaper for 365...But you still got to add a bolt carrier and charging handle, so around 500. I don't have any experience with those....

Good luck!

Oh damn, I must have been looking at the wrong section. Yeah that is great

FourLoko
02-18-2012, 7:24 PM

Good luck!

Yep, I wandered across his thread here, he was hooking up Calguns members with even lower prices. Hope he's actually around.

Then again I'm leaning towards the Spike's upper because I love them and have an identical upper in 5.56x45

bloodhawke83
02-18-2012, 7:29 PM
Thread went off topic fast.

What is the best AR-15 7.62x39 barrel, bolt and bcg out there?

Seesm
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Seems like I see why this thread went off in a BIG way... It makes me sick.

SpeedTribe
02-19-2012, 7:37 AM
I have ARs in multiple calibers and AKs; after reading a few of your posts here are a few things you may want to consider before going with 7.62x39 over 5.56.

7.62x39 is not that much cheaper than 5.56
Folks argue that the ballistics/accuracy is not as good as 5.56 (I haven't noticed a difference inside 100 yrds and I don't care since mine is just for having fun anyway)
7.62x39 is dirtier and a lot of the ammo is corrosive so you may need to be more diligent about cleaning.
Be aware that you will probably need the extra power wolf hammer spring to get the 7.62x39 to ignite reliably. This hammer gives you a much heavier trigger pull and is definitely not as nice as a nicely tuned 5.56 trigger. If you plan on swapping between uppers on that same lower you are stuck with a heavy trigger (unless you plan on swapping that too)

All that being said, I do shoot my 7.62x39 every few weeks and it is fun and accurate enough for me. If you decide to go with one:

ASC/CProducts mags work fine now so that is a non-issue
I would recommend having a dedicated lower for it so you can have your trigger/buffer/spring all tuned for the 7.62x39 upper.
I got the midlength version of this from JohnnyUSA at http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/16-Stainless-762x39-Carbine-upper-with-folding-front-sight-16stls762x39m4yhmfu.htm and it has run without any issues.

Note: I tried to put an Adams Arms piston system on the MIDLENGTH version of this upper and it would not work reliably. I spoke with a few members from other boards and no one had gotten an AA kit going reliably on a midlength 7.62x39 so my advice would me just to get the carbine in case you ever decide to go that route. I have fired both and didn't notice a difference in the recoil of a mid vs carbine.

ThemBastards
02-19-2012, 8:46 AM
I have ARs in multiple calibers and AKs; after reading a few of your posts here are a few things you may want to consider before going with 7.62x39 over 5.56.

7.62x39 is not that much cheaper than 5.56
Folks argue that the ballistics/accuracy is not as good as 5.56 (I haven't noticed a difference inside 100 yrds and I don't care since mine is just for having fun anyway)
7.62x39 is dirtier and a lot of the ammo is corrosive so you may need to be more diligent about cleaning.
Be aware that you will probably need the extra power wolf hammer spring to get the 7.62x39 to ignite reliably. This hammer gives you a much heavier trigger pull and is definitely not as nice as a nicely tuned 5.56 trigger. If you plan on swapping between uppers on that same lower you are stuck with a heavy trigger (unless you plan on swapping that too)

All that being said, I do shoot my 7.62x39 every few weeks and it is fun and accurate enough for me. If you decide to go with one:

ASC/CProducts mags work fine now so that is a non-issue
I would recommend having a dedicated lower for it so you can have your trigger/buffer/spring all tuned for the 7.62x39 upper.
I got the midlength version of this from JohnnyUSA at http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/16-Stainless-762x39-Carbine-upper-with-folding-front-sight-16stls762x39m4yhmfu.htm and it has run without any issues.

Note: I tried to put an Adams Arms piston system on the MIDLENGTH version of this upper and it would not work reliably. I spoke with a few members from other boards and no one had gotten an AA kit going reliably on a midlength 7.62x39 so my advice would me just to get the carbine in case you ever decide to go that route. I have fired both and didn't notice a difference in the recoil of a mid vs carbine.

Thanks man, my Wolff spring was ordered last week and I now have 2 10 round ASC mags and 2 10/30(actually 10/30) C Products mags so I am good to go on that. I just picked up 500 rounds of Wolf non corrosive for $106 so yeah that is pretty cheap. I didn't think about the heavy trigger if I plan on swapping uppers but hey that's only two more push-pins to pop out right? I am going to call up John on Monday to see what we can do. I was planning on going with an A2 upper but it looks like he only has A3, I guess some BUIS' will work too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Did you find that you had to put in a enhanced firing pin along with the extra power hammer spring?

notme92069
02-19-2012, 8:56 AM
Fair nuff'

Good luck. 762x39 AR's seem to be finicky for the most part.

Not if it is build to handle 7.62 x 39. 7.62 x 39 is much heavier than 55gr 5.56. With a proper buffer, buffer spring, hammer spring and firing pin, they are very reliable. Don't expect to throw on a 7.62 x 39 upper on a lower built for 5.56 and expect it to run.

wilit
02-19-2012, 9:47 AM
My Model 1 upper and four C-Products mags haven't given me any issues. I'm running a standard CAR stock and buffer. The only thing I needed to change was the hammer spring to a Wolff xtra power spring for Herters ammo. I have a stockpile of Golden Tiger and it always fired reliably before the spring swap. I haven't fired a lot of Wolf ammo, but it seemed to be hit or miss before the spring swap, after the swap it always fires.

bruss01
02-19-2012, 1:12 PM
I have one and it had some issues... but I have worked through those and the rifle is functioning reliably now.

Here is the thread:

Details of my x39 AR Issues (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=497925&highlight=x39+ar)

The root issue was popped primers - which is different from pierced primers. The fix was $13 in gunsmithing to relieve the sharp edge of the firing pin hole in the bolt face.

In my case I wanted an AR in x39 to take advantage of the ammo stockpile I already had for my SKS rifles. The SKS's are great guns BUT I wanted to take modern tactical training, and the opportunity to do so with guys who are experts on that platform were nil. In order to get the most advantage from that training, I felt it was advisable to bring a more up-to-date platform, and what most tactical classes are training on these days are AR rifles. Also the AR is easier to modernize in terms of optics and accessories. Not that I want to load my rifle down with a bunch of mall ninja crap, but options are nice and if a piece of gear lends a real advantage it's nice to be able to include it without having to rebuild the gun around it. Also both my wife and I agreed that we wanted something with more penetration ability and the x39 brings that to the party. My wife's rifle is a 5.56 AR and I wanted her to be able to transfer all her training to my rifle, so for that they needed to share a common platform. The ability to walk into any 21st century rifle store and buy AR replacement parts is pretty easy. AK's rarely need maintenance but if you need replacement parts they can be a lot harder to find than AR parts.

Training, shared skills on a shared platform, extra penetration, a huge existing stock of ammo, parts availability - these were some of the reasons I built an x39 AR. Maybe not the preferred call for everyone, but it works for me and my situation.

notme92069
02-19-2012, 7:47 PM
I have one and it had some issues... but I have worked through those and the rifle is functioning reliably now.

Here is the thread:

Details of my x39 AR Issues (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=497925&highlight=x39+ar)

The root issue was popped primers - which is different from pierced primers. The fix was $13 in gunsmithing to relieve the sharp edge of the firing pin hole in the bolt face.

In my case I wanted an AR in x39 to take advantage of the ammo stockpile I already had for my SKS rifles. The SKS's are great guns BUT I wanted to take modern tactical training, and the opportunity to do so with guys who are experts on that platform were nil. In order to get the most advantage from that training, I felt it was advisable to bring a more up-to-date platform, and what most tactical classes are training on these days are AR rifles. Also the AR is easier to modernize in terms of optics and accessories. Not that I want to load my rifle down with a bunch of mall ninja crap, but options are nice and if a piece of gear lends a real advantage it's nice to be able to include it without having to rebuild the gun around it. Also both my wife and I agreed that we wanted something with more penetration ability and the x39 brings that to the party. My wife's rifle is a 5.56 AR and I wanted her to be able to transfer all her training to my rifle, so for that they needed to share a common platform. The ability to walk into any 21st century rifle store and buy AR replacement parts is pretty easy. AK's rarely need maintenance but if you need replacement parts they can be a lot harder to find than AR parts.

Training, shared skills on a shared platform, extra penetration, a huge existing stock of ammo, parts availability - these were some of the reasons I built an x39 AR. Maybe not the preferred call for everyone, but it works for me and my situation.

Same for me. AR in 7.62 x 39, Mini-30 and a Draco Pistol

ThemBastards
02-20-2012, 7:57 AM
Thanks for the info. Well I "pulled the trigger" today on my purchase. I should receive my upper and enhanced firing pin next week. I will let you all know how my purchase and range experience goes and of course will have dozens of more questions.