PDA

View Full Version : Need some help picking my first 1911

Mobius38
02-17-2012, 7:26 PM
Starting doing some research since I am in the market for a 1911. I had the chance last weekend to shoot a friends Springfield TRP and fell in love but its a little out of my price range. Looking for one in here but in the mean time I though I would ask some questions. What do I need to look for a in a quality 1911? I am looking for something that is reasonable prices but accurate at the very same time. So far I have looked at a few Kimbers and a Sig and have a hard time understanding what features are important and what makes one 1911 beter than another. Just throwing this out there so that I can make a good educated choice.

Thanks in advance!

beocon
02-17-2012, 9:32 PM
Whichever you end up you will probably be happy with. I spent a year saving up and researching all the reviews and forums about 1911s and ended up with the Springfield Mil-Spec (not GI) in stainless and I am totally satisfied. $750 out the door brand new. I will share that of lilterally hundreds of opinions I've gone through on all the main stream brands, Springfields have a little edge in the value-for-money category under $1500 and a lot of that is due to superb customer service. Anti-Springers will claim a good pistol shouldn't need customer service, and it seems true there is variability between individual guns. The Range Officer is probably one to check out, I would have gotten one but I was looking for a stainless with more classic features.

jswr450
02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I think a lot of it is personal preference since there are so many good options. Some people look at the MIM parts list. I'd suggest you buy one with the features you want (sights, beavertail, finish, long or short trigger, etc.). I haven't heard of many 1911s that are not fairly accurate.

Don't forget to look at a Colt too. You could probably find a good deal on a new or used 1991. No matter what you pick you're bound to end up happy. Good luck.

G60
02-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Springfield or Colt.

Some folks will give you a myriad of reasons why some other off brand is just as good or better and whatnot, but there's a reason most of the best 1911 gunsmiths in the country don't work on anything but Springfields or colts. And it's not because they don't know how.

KTM RICK
02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Springfield for me.

skyscraper
02-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Shoot a bunch and pick from there. My favorite is Springfield also, but soon enough there will be plenty of haters of each brand in this thread.

MA2
02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
TRP with the bull barrel, it's going to be difficult to find another to equal it at that price (hope I made sense, LoL).

For the social shooter, all modern 1911's should be as accurate/group as the next.
Well, Les Baer will guarantee grouping, but those are over the TRP's pricing.

Check out the Springfield Trophy Match, if you love the TRP.

Also don's forget to look at the 1911-9mm's, long term savings in ammo, and fun as heck to shoot.

safewaysecurity
02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Look at the back of the gun where the slide meets the frame. Compare it with the other guns. Can you see gaps? How tight is it. Check the beavertail and jiggle it. Does it jiggle and have side to side play? Or is it solid? Put your finger in the barrel muzzle end and move it around. Does it move around? How much play? Press on the barrel where the brass ejects. Is it tight or does it move around? Check trigger pull. Pull the slide back slowly and ride it forward slowly. Is it gritty at all or is it smooth as silk? These are the few I can think of.

Dark Mod
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Springfield makes a great 1911, the lifetime warranty doesnt hurt either

jeffrice6
02-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Kimber Custom II

Press Check
02-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Springfield makes a great 1911, the lifetime warranty doesnt hurt either

+1

To the OP, since we're talking about production pistols, none are immune of malfunction. Based on legendary customer and warranty service, I've always been partial to Springfield pistols, both Polymer and Steel. Currently own a Loaded 1911, and currently in the market for another XDM.

Press Check
02-17-2012, 11:21 PM
By the way, if I were to stray away from Springfield for some reason, I would own a Colt. The Rail Gun looks great.

CoyoteHunter555
02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Ive got SA and Kimber, love em!

weekend_plinker
02-18-2012, 12:00 AM
I would like to try the new Ruger 1911 good price MSRP: $799.00
http://www.galleryofguns.com/ProdImageSm/6700.jpg

Ofna
02-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Here is my first SA 1911 Target Loaded
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/ofna8484/0a3878d3.jpg
I say it's a matter of what feels good to you, my buddies own different 1911's Dan Wesson PM7, Para 14-45 limited and a Rock Island 2011 Tactical. Don't get me wrong they are all great guns but to me my Springfield fits me perfect and I have no regrets buying it, to me it's the best feeling 1911 in my opinion. As a matter of fact I'm planning on saving up for a TRP!!

Mobius38
02-18-2012, 12:18 AM
WOW!!! That was some serious responses in a short period of time. The Springfields just feel good in my hand. I need to look at a few more models but I really like the weight of the Springfields. I like the idea of adjustable sights. I guess I need to spend a little more time and get some in my hands. So let me ask this any upgrades that i should look at once I have made my choice?

Mobius38
02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
You Springfield guys are really pushing me. Any drawback to Springfield at all? Its nice to here the possitives. Customer service I have heard is amazing. That to me is a big deal. But what are the negatives?

jeffrice6
02-18-2012, 12:45 AM
You Springfield guys are really pushing me. Any drawback to Springfield at all? Its nice to here the possitives. Customer service I have heard is amazing. That to me is a big deal. But what are the negatives?

I've been burned by SA so take it for what its worth.... SA has "great" CS but sh#t production. NOT made in the USA, poor fit & finish to compairable Kimbers, & accuracy not on par with Kimber (model for model) Can you tell I like Kiber???

& as for warranty, I have sent back a proclaimed used Custom II (8 yrs used actually) & Kimber fixed my issues free of charge and sent her home on their dime! Don't fall for 1 yr warranty BS! Les Baer, Ruger & (I believe Wilson) as well as many other "High end" 1911 manufacturers have NO expressed warranty & still take care of their customers!!! Dollar for dollar & model for model you can't beat kimber..... LGS runs Custom II's on sale for $650, thats cheaper than a GI or Mil-spec these days....

Snoopy47
02-18-2012, 7:08 AM
let me mention something if the TRP is what you shot and liked (having one myself).

A 1911 with a:
Beaver tail
checkered front strap
and
agressive grips

IS NOT THE SAME THING as a GI model with a smooth front strap, basic grips and no beaver tail. So what ever you are looking at I think if you don't get those options you will be disapointed between a cheaper simpler 1911 verses the likes of one with those upgrades.

Press Check
02-18-2012, 10:40 AM

The only drawback is as with any production pistol, some will in fact leave final assembly with anomolies. An anomoly could be a sight that's drifted too far to the left, a pistol that could use some additional deburring, a pistol that might have trouble feeding ammunition, etc. From experience, you can call Springfield, and within 10 minutes, you will have a FedEx overnight label emailed to you, no questions asked. From minor issues to major issues, they will address all issues.

Press Check
02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been burned by SA so take it for what its worth.... SA has "great" CS but sh#t production. NOT made in the USA, poor fit & finish to compairable Kimbers, & accuracy not on par with Kimber (model for model) Can you tell I like Kiber???

As with any product, to qualify for the "made in the USA label," a certain percentage of that product must have been made or assembled in the USA, and Springfield meets that criteria. If not, in the case of a 1911, the pistol will be clearly marked acordingly.

Poor fit an finish? :rolleyes:

t0kie
02-18-2012, 6:39 PM
I own both SA & Kimber & I say go with the SA!

skyscraper
02-18-2012, 6:47 PM
I own both SA & Kimber & I say go with the SA!

Same here. I have en kimber eclipse and two trp operators. Trp operators havent been sent back for warranty work but the kimber did. What does that mean? Not a damned thing because they are both good brands. But I prefer the Springfield because of the fit and I can just shoot them better. Even sig has great 1911's

shamu415
02-18-2012, 6:48 PM
+1 for SA! Dan wesson, Sigs, ruger, s&w or a colt are also great choices. Checkout Yzernie inhttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=257865 , he has some good deals.

Sunday
02-19-2012, 8:23 AM
Do you want quality and the longest life or just a 1911? Kimbers seem to have more problems in their price points.

Mobius38
02-19-2012, 3:31 PM
Do you want quality and the longest life or just a 1911? Kimbers seem to have more problems in their price points.

Please explain this!?

BoJackUSMC
02-19-2012, 3:45 PM
I love my Springfield 1911 A1... just came back from Place to Shoot today...
650 rounds through her today:43:

enzo357
02-19-2012, 3:48 PM
With the sse, go a little different from what everyone has suggested and look at a sti. Great quality, and accuracy. Check out the company, pretty sharp products.

safewaysecurity
02-19-2012, 4:01 PM

& as for warranty, I have sent back a proclaimed used Custom II (8 yrs used actually) & Kimber fixed my issues free of charge and sent her home on their dime! Don't fall for 1 yr warranty BS! Les Baer, Ruger & (I believe Wilson) as well as many other "High end" 1911 manufacturers have NO expressed warranty & still take care of their customers!!! Dollar for dollar & model for model you can't beat kimber..... LGS runs Custom II's on sale for $650, thats cheaper than a GI or Mil-spec these days....

Don't know what you're talking about but my SA 1911 was made in the USA. I don't know how you can say SA has **** production. Do you say that about the TRP? Mot people would put up a TRP against most high end 1911s. If I had to pick something about Springfield Armory I don't like it's their ILS locking system or as I like to say their "lawyer safety". I feel like it's a dumb idea and bases itself on a flawed concept of trusting mechanical safeties. I don't know anyone that actually utilizes it and it just makes me think that the gun will lock itself up randomly.

skyscraper
02-19-2012, 4:06 PM
Don't know what you're talking about but my SA 1911 was made in the USA. I don't know how you can say SA has **** production. Do you say that about the TRP? Mot people would put up a TRP against most high end 1911s. If I had to pick something about Springfield Armory I don't like it's their ILS locking system or as I like to say their "lawyer safety". I feel like it's a dumb idea and bases itself on a flawed concept of trusting mechanical safeties. I don't know anyone that actually utilizes it and it just makes me think that the gun will lock itself up randomly.

I've read the same poster say that in every SA thread even though the same things have been said about kimber. Check the 1911 forums... Springfield is preferred in a poll there almost 3 to 1. That doesnt mean much because both brands are great guns. If SA didnt have great guns, they wouldnt sell as many as they do. If you search also, you will notice that there are a lot of guys that dont like the quality of new kimbers. Just gotta take it for what it's worth.

Mobius38
02-19-2012, 4:13 PM
There are jsut so many choices that it is confusing. I think I am gonna get that TRP. Now onto another question. Upgrades. If I am looking at things to upgrade (everyones does this) what is worth while as an upgrade?

BoJackUSMC
02-19-2012, 4:42 PM
TRP model.... not much to upgrade.. excellent gun from out of the box.

Press Check
02-19-2012, 4:45 PM
There are jsut so many choices that it is confusing. I think I am gonna get that TRP. Now onto another question. Upgrades. If I am looking at things to upgrade (everyones does this) what is worth while as an upgrade?

Honestly, there's not much to upgrade. Springfield's Tactical Response Pistol is just a few marks off from a Springfield Professional.

I guess you could switch to a Smith and Alexander Magazine Guide and have SACS fit it, maybe have the front strap undercut, have the top of slide serrated, etc., but as far as actual upgrades, the TRP is GTG right out of the box. From there, you'd personalize it as opposed to upgrade it.

MA2
02-19-2012, 4:49 PM
Replacement flat trigger.
2 piece infinity, if you want to go fancy.

Press Check
02-19-2012, 4:51 PM
I love my Springfield 1911 A1... just came back from Place to Shoot today...
650 rounds through her today:43:

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the picture, but your rollmark seems slightly off center.

wash
02-19-2012, 5:16 PM
Springfield receivers come from Imbel in Brazil.

There is nothing wrong with that, they make a good FAL at Imbel and their 1911s are fine.

I've seen good Kimbers and I know of an FFL that won't carry them because he ordered one for a police officer and new in box it couldn't pass a function test.

When you get down to it, unless you are buying a full custom 1911, you're paying for the parts that are in it rather than custom features, reliability work or accuracy.

MRbaker
02-19-2012, 5:26 PM
I bought a Springfield Loaded Lightweight for my first 1911 (Imbel frame) and couldn't be happier. It seemed to be the best value and is very well made.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

absinthe49
02-19-2012, 5:57 PM
Glad to hear you are checking out the 1911 style pistols. Before I got my Kimber TLE II in about 2003... I had owned maybe 5 different "modern" guns (glocks, berettas, sigs etc). Once I got the Kimber... I never looked back. Having the single stack magazine gives the grip a very narrow profile and fits the hand very nicely. The trigger is fantastically crisp when compared to many other guns. I don't think I will ever own another modern style handgun unless it is to be cheap and have a backup of some sort.

Just some notes on my experience... the Kimber shot very well for the first 200 rounds using the included mag (I think they use chip mccormick). I bought a pair of Wilson Combat mags and suddenly started getting malfunctions every 80th round or so. Was kinda depressed. I then bought some Cobra Mags and didn't have another malfunction for maybe 1500 rounds. So do be aware that 1911s can be picky on a magazine.. or rather... your particular 1911 can be picky. Plenty of people swear by the WC mags and have no issues with their particular gun.

As far as upgrades... if you are left handed.. you will want an ambi safety. These don't normally drop in... some fitting is involved. The front strap being checkered is something I would always want. The extended mag well is nice for looks.. particularly with 8 round mags. 8 rounders tend to stick out of the magazine well and doesn't look quite right. Some say you wouldn't want the extended mag well for carry as it lengthens the grip. You might want to check out brownells.com and download their 1911 catalog... you should be able to see most of the available upgrades there (just keep in mind that not all parts/gun combinations are drop in... they may need fitting). Also... check out one of the 1911 forums. 1911forum.com has lots of activity but some don't like the mods there for various reasons. m1911.org also has a forum but it seems like it doesn't have as much traffic as the former. The pics threads might help you see what you like.

I recently purchased a Les Baer Custom Carry and that will be my new baby. One thing that bothered me about the Kimber was that it has proprietary parts. The schwartz style safety has a pin that you can only buy from them, costs more than a dollar and can be potentially sheared off. It might be a consideration that is uses all standard parts. I don't know if anyone still makes series 80 1911s... but they are known for messing with trigger pull.

Welcome to the 1911 family :)

Press Check
02-19-2012, 6:29 PM
Springfield receivers come from Imbel in Brazil.

There is nothing wrong with that, they make a good FAL at Imbel and their 1911s are fine.

Yes, they certainly do, but not all of the final machining is completed in Brazil. GI models are completely finished in Brazil, in addition to a generous amount of the Mil-Spec Models. Some Loaded models are fnished there as well, but most Loaded models that I've seen have NM receivers, and have the final machining completed in the US.

wash
02-19-2012, 6:30 PM
Checkered front strap is a very personal thing, really all the ergonomics are personal so try before you buy.

Press Check
02-19-2012, 6:32 PM
As far as upgrades... if you are left handed.. you will want an ambi safety. These don't normally drop in... some fitting is involved. The front strap being checkered is something I would always want. The extended mag well is nice for looks.. particularly with 8 round mags. 8 rounders tend to stick out of the magazine well and doesn't look quite right. Some say you wouldn't want the extended mag well for carry as it lengthens the grip. You might want to check out brownells.com and download their 1911 catalog... you should be able to see most of the available upgrades there (just keep in mind that not all parts/gun combinations are drop in... they may need fitting).

The TRP that he asked about already has those features.

Javierv73
02-19-2012, 6:42 PM
I was in the same boat as you last week and I decided on a S.A. stainless Mil-Spec I can't wait to get it.
Go with the Springfield DO IT!

absinthe49
02-19-2012, 6:52 PM
The TRP that he asked about already has those features.

Well... since this thread started two days ago... and he only said "I think I am gonna get that TRP" about two hours ago... I figured it wasn't set in stone that he was going to purchase a TRP and was only interested in upgrades for that particular gun.

Besides... the brownells catalog will let him see for himself what is available.

klikoman
02-19-2012, 8:02 PM
Ria tactical cause it was my first 1911.