PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with all of the buyers who back out of sales?

nick007g
02-17-2012, 7:24 PM
I have seen a lot of buyer backouts lately and it is kind of irritating. I think CalGuns folks should add some sort of system to track those that back out of sales after a "I'll take it" has been posted. Maybe some sort of red-X or something so people don't have to waste their time with flakes and what not. What do you think? Too harsh? I remember back in the day when someone said "I'll take it" that meant they would come through. I have seen a bunch of them scanning the private party firearm sales and it just irks me to know that basically nothing can be done. They should at minimum be able to add a negative itrader to the offenders account or something. What is the community consensus? I can't be alone!

Black Majik
02-17-2012, 7:26 PM
neg their i-trader. I agree it is irritating, help out them by leaving feedback.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 8:15 PM
I’m with Black in this. I always assumed it happened here and there but it seems to becoming the norm.

Start letting other potential buyers/sellers know and hopefully the problem will curtail. :)

CenterX
02-17-2012, 8:43 PM
Sure - like you never change your mind, or had a major unforeseen expenditure jump in your face like a trip to the hospital?
Or, heaven forbid, see the item and determine it isn't as desirable as imagined.
When the money hits the hand then it is a deal - otherwise - it is speculation.

nick007g
02-17-2012, 8:50 PM
Sure - like you never change your mind, or had a major unforeseen expenditure jump in your face like a trip to the hospital?
Or, heaven forbid, see the item and determine it isn't as desirable as imagined.

Actually I call bull-spit! The odds of that are astronomical and 99.99% of the time it is a flat out lie! If this is the case your whole credit score should drop and you should be easily identifiable as bankrupt! Good luck trying to fool me ;) I own!

G38xOC
02-17-2012, 9:00 PM
so far so good here .

SwPx4
02-17-2012, 9:02 PM
I've had a SELLER back out, after we agreed on a price and location and everything... Irritating.. But name of the game I guess.

I can understand last minute expenditures. But, would. Still be irritating.

nick007g
02-17-2012, 9:33 PM
I've had a SELLER back out, after we agreed on a price and location and everything... Irritating.. But name of the game I guess.

I can understand last minute expenditures. But would still be irritating. This is the whole point! Next time a (red X) member says "I will take it" we know it is only conditional and can take 2nd, 3rd, 4th offers ect. It just makes sense. Nothing sucks more than that and there should be some kind of "negative" mark to let others know they are flakes. It just seems right IMO.

barbasol
02-17-2012, 10:04 PM
This is why itrader exists. I'm in sales and I know that until money is in my hand nothing is certain. If you are relying on the "good ol days" of calguns when your word is your bond then it's time to face reality. It may be true for you and I but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men

xmikedentx
02-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I've noticed the same thing on my jeep forums. I've actually gave old parts away and had people back out of free stuff. Lots of window shoppers... It upsets me when I tell someone who really wants something to hold on while the "first" guy doesn't respond for a day or two...

SDM44
02-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't mind people backing out too much, only IF it's within a day or two of your post and when they said they'll take it.

I just hate it when you put a gun up for sale on Sunday night, and they say they'll take it and say they'll pick it up on Friday (5 days later). When you confirm with them on Thursday about the PPT, they get cold feet and flake. That's when I get mad because I'll usually get 2-3 more guys wanting the gun on Monday and who are ready to buy it right now on the same day.

Brandon04GT
02-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't mind people backing out too much, only IF it's within a day or two of your post and when they said they'll take it.

I just hate it when you put a gun up for sale on Sunday night, and they say they'll take it and say they'll pick it up on Friday (5 days later). When you confirm with them on Thursday about the PPT, they get cold feet and flake. That's when I get mad because I'll usually get 2-3 more guys wanting the gun on Monday and who are ready to buy it right now on the same day.

Yup I hate it when things like that happen. I don't have much experience with transactions on Calguns but I used to buy and sell Mustang parts often. I learned to just post stuff as first come first serve unless it is someone I can trust or they agree to send me a nonrefundable deposit. Got tired of flakes.

MudCamper
02-18-2012, 12:10 AM
It's amazing to me how many flakes and liars there are cruising the for-sale forums. I get two or three of them on every item I sell. It's so bad that I've had to become a hard-*** and just tell people that the first one to put money in my paypal account gets the item.

Seriously, how hard is it to just speak the truth. Just live up to your word. I don't get it. And I can't stand the idiots. When I tell someone "I'll take it", I mean it, and I do what I say. And I'll get you the money within minutes.

gfmallett
02-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Well why don't you tell the one's that say I'll take it to come and look within 24 hours. . .If they do come and still want it they put up a non refundable deposite. otherwise you move on to the next guy. . .it only works when they have something to loose. I been in the legitimat buyer position and had to waite a week and by then I found something else to do with my cash

DCF
02-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Flakes and ignoring PM is becoming the norm when I was trying to sell and once when I was trying to buy. It's frustrating to send a PM, wait for half a day, then check to see the person was online a few times and still no answer. All I asked for is just an answer and telling me that they are not interested anymore is perfectly fine with me.

Usually people who call or text in advance are more reliable, so I don't meet up with people unless I've talk to them on the phone. Plus I am not driving 2 hours one way for a deal because if the other person flake, then I won't lose gas money and time.

GettoPhilosopher
02-18-2012, 2:01 AM
If you say you'll take it, take it.

I can understand unforseen emergencies. The only time I've ever had to back out of a sale was because of that....but I was at least courteous enough to inform the seller as soon as I realized I couldn't purchase, and apologized profusely.

That's different than just no-showing or flaking out a week later.

Rob454
02-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Big difference between calling and saying hey i had a family emergency i simply cannot buy the item and simply not showing not calling. Basically people are so freaking wrapped into themselves and how great they are that they think they are way too important to make a simple courtesy call. I mean who cares right its not like the guy can do anything about it and its not a legal contract. You can thank the internet and text messaging for the impersonal way people deal with people. There is only three reasons you cannot pick up a phone and call a seller to tell them you can't make a meeting or you can't purchase their item. Either you are a cold lump of dead meat or in a coma OR you are a wimp. Otherwise any excuse is just that. I just came to the conclusion people are freaking weird. i don't let it bother me, I just move on to the next seller.

CALI-gula
02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Iím with Black in this. I always assumed it happened here and there but it seems to becoming the norm.

Start letting other potential buyers/sellers know and hopefully the problem will curtail. :)

It was VERY rare in the "old days". Just didn't happen. If it did, there was heavy discussion of the rare one-off incident. Now it's like Craigslist around here sometimes. But as Calguns has gotten bigger, with a greater attraction for many who disregard manners, the norm has become embedded.

I can only worry about me; and I'm always reliable as a buyer, and punctual. My "I'll Take It" means just that. As for being a seller, don't be a buyer from me that does this. I guarantee you it will not go ignored. :mad:

That is all.

schneiderguy
02-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I think people need to use the negative feedback option more. I don't think I've ever seen someone that didn't have 100% itrader feedback :confused:

a1c
02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Last two purchases I made, I actually had a major expense come in at the last minute (one was a major car repair, and then it was a big medical bill). Now since I had already agreed on a time and place (and rescheduled once for the last one), I felt I had to follow through with the deal. After all, I was able to pay my other bills. And I don't regret those deals.

Now there is a gun in the Marketplace I really want, but obviously financially things are too tight right now. So it's not gonna happen. I know I'll have to live without any new guns for a while. I just try staying away from the Marketplace :)

cmichini
02-18-2012, 1:23 PM

Simple soulution to that.

The guy who says I'll take it Friday gets a reply of "I'll call Thursday to confirm, but if someone can meet me between Monday and Thursday don't be disappointed if I call you and tell you it's no longer available".

Sellers are trying to move things they don't want or have to move for cash, etc. They likely don't want a deal to linger on the vine for a long time. If you want it, then get off yer heinie and buy it. If you have to wait for a paycheck or something, maybe you should re-prioritize, but it's not the seller's issue.

If you can convince the seller to not do anything because you're out of town but seriously jones-ing for this piece, etc. then more power to you.

JMO

GettoPhilosopher
02-18-2012, 3:05 PM

The guy who says I'll take it Friday gets a reply of "I'll call Thursday to confirm, but if someone can meet me between Monday and Thursday don't be disappointed if I call you and tell you it's no longer available".

Sellers are trying to move things they don't want or have to move for cash, etc. They likely don't want a deal to linger on the vine for a long time. If you want it, then get off yer heinie and buy it. If you have to wait for a paycheck or something, maybe you should re-prioritize, but it's not the seller's issue.

If you can convince the seller to not do anything because you're out of town but seriously jones-ing for this piece, etc. then more power to you.

JMO

Yeah. If I can't take it within 48 hours, I disclose that and ask if they mind holding it till (date). If not, no problem, best of luck with the sale. If that date is more than 4 days out or so, I won't even go that far....I'll just say "hey, if it hasn't sold by next week, let me know".

If it's a big item and I really want it, I'll offer a nonrefundable deposit.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

razr
02-18-2012, 3:42 PM
nick, how many have gone south on you? I had a seller no show once. Irritating but he actually changed his name and sold the same gun to someone else the following month, I caught him on that and he denied the whole thing. Good thing the shop was only a few miles away.

Turbinator
02-18-2012, 5:24 PM
Funny you should post in here as I'm still waiting for you to contact me about the Anaconda you agreed to sell me back in April and then went deep six and never got back to me.....

I'm just saying.....

Hmm, interesting... :lurk5:

Turby

pdq_wizzard
02-18-2012, 5:32 PM
I have followed through with a purchase even when it was just what I "thought" it's what I wanted.

a mans word is .......

CALI-gula
02-18-2012, 6:14 PM
Funny you should post in here as I'm still waiting for you to contact me about the Anaconda you agreed to sell me back in April and then went deep six and never got back to me.....

I'm just saying.....

Funny you should make such an erroneous claim. There were several PMs back and forth, but we NEVER set an actual date or time to meet due to our conflicting schedules. As I recall clearly, you AS THE BUYER could never meet me on the weekends, which is the only time I was able to meet. I stated this repeatedly. This was even stated in my For Sale thread at the time. I see that as no different than a seller who says they won't ship - so don't offer to buy and then make demands on the seller to ship it. As a buyer, you accommodate to the seller's wishes especially when stated in their for sale post.

However, even your first PM on an offer declared point blank: "Can meet on monday at XXXXX after 4 with cash, unless something goes sideways with my schedule."

Well, I can't meet you on Mondays. So I answered: "...only hurdle is that I typically can only meet on Saturdays and Sundays; today (Sunday) would be great" - that was my offer, to have met you THAT very day! You should have jumped on it.

You Replied: "Weekends are bad for me since XXXXXX. Anytime during the week is good."

So I replied I MIGHT be able to do it in the evening during the week - but I did NOT set a day or time, and COULDN'T set a time then, in contemplating that possibility. I thought I MIGHT get lucky at some later date to get to a store in the evening, so I suggested a couple of places, but it never materialized.

Later you replied: "Wed or Thursday works best for me."

Well still, not for me. I was up-front about that from the beginning. I did my best to try to find a spot in my weekly schedule to make it work; but I wasn't going to stress too much about it, knowing that your weekends were occupied by leisurely activities; while your reason and priority for not meeting on the weekend was respectable, if I had been in your shoes I would have overcame that for the hour or so it takes to do a PPT. And likewise, my reason that I can't meet during the week is that my work/job prevents me from meeting during the week. That's also kind-of important.

So we both had hurdles we couldn't overcome. No meeting ever made. Done. Nobody flaked because there was nothing to flake about. You as the buyer had strict scheduling requirements up-front in spite of my for sale ad stating I could only meet Saturdays and Sundays. Your requirements could not be met.

At some time later you PM'ed: "I am in XXXXX during the day so I can do (Store A), (Store B), and head to XXXXX at night so I can do (Store C) later on wed or thurs."

So? I am not sure why you never got it; I couldn't meet you during the week: I expressed this several times, as again I am expressing now. We discussed the possibility of meeting in the evening but it never panned out. You insisted on meeting during the week in places that were impossible for me to make happen with my work day. The obstacle was our schedules. Therefore we never set up an actual time to meet, and I let it die. I felt no further reason to go out of my way to beg you to meet me on a Saturday or Sunday. C'est la vie.

No meeting was ever arranged, no meeting ever reneged, nobody was ever stood-up, which is what this thread is about. You merely showed interest in a gun, and an arrangement to meet never panned out.

Weeks later, for reasons beyond my control, I got detached from Calguns for a good while with very good reason, which will go without explanation.

I always try to accommodate and compromise, but I can't change my schedule or time; my weekends are 100% free ANY time on Saturday or Sunday - I could even meet someone at 2:00AM on Saturday or Sunday if that were possible, if a store were open! As a buyer I always try to accommodate sellers. I'm punctual. I meet on their terms. Like I did today, in buying a Springfield SAR-4800 FAL in 5.56 - I made it as easy for the seller as possible. The seller could have dictated any time and place on Saturday or Sunday, and I could have met him at his choice; but up front, when I PM'ed about my interest in purchasing it from him, I told him I could only meet him on Saturday or Sunday. I PM'ed him before posting "I'll Take It" to be sure that was OK with him.

He PM'ed back, we spoke on the phone, set up an ACTUAL time, and I bought the gun from him today at his asking price. I'm happy. He's happy. I'm going to leave him positive feedback right now. (UPDATE: See below). If he had told me there was no way he could meet me on a Saturday or Sunday, I would have had to pass on the purchase and done little more than wish him luck. :(

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8038080#post8038080

In any case, if as consolation to you, I never sold the Anaconda. I still have it, so you were not undermined. But at this point. I'm not selling it. Those days are over.

But as you can see, our incapability to set a time or day due to our priorities and schedules, does not fit the profile of this thread's complaint. I know you agree with me.

CALI-gula
02-18-2012, 6:14 PM
Hmm, interesting... :lurk5:

Turby

I thought so too.

CenterX
02-18-2012, 7:40 PM
Actually I call bull-spit! The odds of that are astronomical and 99.99% of the time it is a flat out lie! If this is the case your whole credit score should drop and you should be easily identifiable as bankrupt! Good luck trying to fool me ;) I own!

Yep - crap happens that is unforeseen. Spilt milk...... :beatdeadhorse5:

-hanko
02-18-2012, 7:50 PM
See below

This is why itrader exists. I'm in sales and I know that until money is in my hand nothing is certain. If you are relying on the "good ol days" of calguns when your word is your bond then it's time to face reality. It may be true for you and I but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men
See below

JMO
This. I like your style:)

Yeah. If I can't take it within 48 hours, I disclose that and ask if they mind holding it till (date). If not, no problem, best of luck with the sale. If that date is more than 4 days out or so, I won't even go that far....I'll just say "hey, if it hasn't sold by next week, let me know".

If it's a big item and I really want it, I'll offer a nonrefundable deposit.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Awesome

I'm just saying.....
:lurk5:
Needs it's own thread

-hanko

drifter001
02-18-2012, 8:05 PM
im guilty here but only because i found a better model of the item, aimpoint m3 instead of ml2 for $100 cheaper. i was also on the other end of this as well with a seller here trying to sell me his 1911. told me to find an ffl since i pay for fees and seller never responded to pm's or emails after i found ffl...i guess i can thank him tho because i found one for even cheaper that is in great shape

voiceofreason
02-18-2012, 8:28 PM
I've never had that issue on either CG or GT.

CL only a few times in over 200 transactions.

FullAuto
02-18-2012, 8:42 PM
You as a seller have the right to sell to whomever you choose. I have only sold a few items but when I did I found some real nice individuals with integrity and I was able to spot these qualities by the conversations we shared. I know it's easier said than done but being able to read someone helps a lot.