PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for firearms eligibility check

TLC
02-17-2012, 6:20 PM
I know the paperwork for the Kalifornia firearms eligibility check says the process can take up to 3 months, but I'm curious as to how long others have had to wait

paul0660
02-17-2012, 6:21 PM
Where is Kalifornia?

What check are you talking about?

GunDog
02-17-2012, 6:41 PM
Believe the OP is referring to the Personal Firearms Eligibility Check that is accomplished with the submission of this form:

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/pfecapp.pdf?

TLC
02-17-2012, 6:43 PM
That would be the one, yes.

paul0660
02-17-2012, 6:43 PM
Two years ago, it took 3 weeks. It was not me.

anthonyca
02-17-2012, 6:48 PM
I know a guy who did it twice. The first time came back ineligible and it took just over two weeks. He disputed the findings and did it again. The second time it took a few months to come back eligible.

I would have paid money to see them write that letter.

TLC
02-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Where is Kalifornia?

Alot of communist countries use the "K" where Anerucans typically use the "C." Kalifornia's gun laws definitely make me feel like I moved to a communist country.

slikna99
02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
What is the point of this check?

Press Check
02-18-2012, 12:10 PM

It's basically the equivalent of completing DROS without a firearm, and having the check done prior to actually purchasing a firearm. I would imagine that this would apply to someone that has a blemish on their record, or has a question about their legal status in the Country, etc. Who knows.

Distro
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM

Pretty sure it's the cheaper way to check if you are eligible to purchase a firearm. Going this route when you're not sure about your past is cheaper than going to the gun store and getting hit with a loss of deposit (30% of the price at times) or restocking fee in the case you are ineligible. Also avoid paying another $25 for the HSC prior to purchase.

And(!) the slight embarassment of having to go back to the store and getting the rest of your money back if you fail.

rudigan
02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
About 2 weeks

paul0660
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Where is Kalifornia?

Alot of communist countries use the "K" where Anerucans typically use the "C." Kalifornia's gun laws definitely make me feel like I moved to a communist country.

Spend some time in Cuba and N Korea and see if you can tell the difference between those countries and here.

I won't ask about Aneruca.

TLC
02-18-2012, 4:00 PM
Hmm...sounds like I made a mistake then. When I moved here I was told that the check was required. Sounds like I just threw away $20

TLC
02-18-2012, 4:12 PM
"Originally Posted by TLC
Where is Kalifornia?

Spend some time in Cuba and N Korea and see if you can tell the difference between those countries and here.

I won't ask about

Not saying there aren't worse places, but purposely making an effort to either a. make it unreasonably difficult for law-abiding citizenry to purchase firearms or b. prevent that same law-abiding citizenry from actually carrying the firearms when they do manage to navigate those governmental obstacles...those are definitely characteristics of a communist government.

As for your backhanded comment...not worth my time.

littlejake
02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I've been waiting for 7 weeks for my COE.

I'm betting the PFEC takes even longer. There are no repercussions to being denied -- except if denied they want any guns turned in.

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct. I expressly authorize the Department of Justice to perform firearms eligibility checks of all relevant state and federal databases. I also understand that if I currently possess/own firearms and the results of this check reveal that I am ineligible to lawfully either possess or purchase firearms, I must relinquish any and all firearms in my possession."

The PFEC is a safe way to go if a person has some doubts. Entering into the DROS process and being denied brings the possibility of criminal charges depending on what the problem is and what CA DOJ believes the applicant should have known.

Cactus_Tim
02-19-2012, 2:56 PM
I submitted a PFEC in March of 2011 to ensure past actions would not prohibit my firearms purchase(s).
(paid attorney, paid court, blah, blah, blah, no longer a problem)
Received my notification mid-May 2011 (about 8-9 weeks, I think)

Unless you have a blemish on your record and want to verify if you're a prohibited person or not, it is not needed.

winnre
02-19-2012, 2:59 PM
I submitted one and it took about a month. I was ineligible. I cleared up the drama, resubmitted, and was eligible. Took about a month the second time too.