PDA

View Full Version : Sending my p226 back to Sig.

Mrfixit687
02-17-2012, 5:27 PM
Hey all, I recently picked up my P226. Shot about 600 rounds through it so far. Have a few issues. Sometimes when I insert the mag into the gun and rack the slide. The slide wouldn't go forward and chamber the round, it was hanging up. I also notice theres a gap between the base plate of magazine and gun. Also have problem with slide not locking back on last shot sometimes. I thought all of these were mag related so I called up Sig today and they want me to send the gun back. Sucks I'm gonna be without it for 3 weeks :( Thoughts, questions, comments?

hyperion.excal
02-17-2012, 5:30 PM
That sucks you might have gotten a lemon. We all know that sig quality dropped but their CS will never fail you. Send it in and they will make it right.

626Tony
02-17-2012, 5:32 PM
send it in and ask them for a SRT job for free for your time the worse they can say is no or maybe some sig nite sites i got a free SRT job cause I asked and complained that i spent 1k on a gun thats the least they could do for me

bohoki
02-17-2012, 5:38 PM
i'm betting its 100% magazine related

is it a factory 10 round sig is it the one with the long grooves or the one with the tall plastic bottom

IVth Horseman
02-17-2012, 5:49 PM
Have someone else with a different shooting grip fire it to rule out "riding the slide lock" or anything else like that.

Mrfixit687
02-17-2012, 5:52 PM
Mine already has the SRT and night sites lol, what else can I ask for lol. The magazines are the factory 10 round sig, black with long grooves.

Bw511
02-17-2012, 6:16 PM
I also notice theres a gap between the base plate of magazine and gun.

What kind of gap? I can fit about a playing card in there. Is that abnormal? None of the other issues with my E-26r-bss-ger after almost the same number of rounds. Mine has eaten, fired, spit out, and locked after every cheap POS (or better) ammo I've thrown into it so far.

The Virus
02-17-2012, 7:55 PM
3 weeks? I wish you the best of luck on that.
Let us know when its back.

Vanguard
02-17-2012, 7:59 PM
Sounds like the mag isn't seated all the way into the weapon. Is there a gap if you insert an empty magazine? I know a full mag is harder to insert into my 226, I have to give it a little extra pressure.

Mrfixit687
02-17-2012, 8:53 PM
I attached a picture of the gap I'm talking about. Gap is same with it loaded or not. I don't know if that's normal or not, this is my first gun. Don't really mind it, it's just something I noticed and wondering if it could be cause of my problems.

FrankDux
02-17-2012, 9:01 PM
sounds like a mag/follower issue. does it happen with both mags? even take it to the range and see if the range has a 226 and try their mag out before you go send i out. just a thought. if you have to send it out to sig have them throw on some E2 grips

hyperion.excal
02-17-2012, 9:22 PM
I attached a picture of the gap I'm talking about. Gap is same with it loaded or not. I don't know if that's normal or not, this is my first gun. Don't really mind it, it's just something I noticed and wondering if it could be cause of my problems.

Hey my P226 Equinox's mag is like that is normal.

filion
02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
When you rack your slide. Do you pull back and release fully or follow back with your hand? I've noticed on my 226 that if I do a slow chambering the round doesn't always slip in and you need to give it a push. Unless you are already doing it just pull the slide back and let go.

On my first range trip my slide didn't lock back after mags of Rem UMC but worked fine with Blazer brass. After a fieldstrip and a good lube I haven't had any problems since.

If you insert the mag with the slide locked back and release using the slide release does it chamber properly?

Bartin
02-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking the magazine isn't fully seated and you are occasionally riding the slide release causing the slide to not lock back

Freq18Hz
02-17-2012, 11:35 PM

normal I believe.

-Freq

pMcW
02-18-2012, 7:28 AM
The magazine "gap" looks normal. From your description,

Sometimes when I insert the mag into the gun and rack the slide. The slide wouldn't go forward and chamber the round, it was hanging up.

...I agree with others about the possibility that you are riding the slide.

The usual way to load a handgun (in my military training anyway, for what that's worth) is to insert the magazine with the slide locked open and then release the slide forward (without riding it.) That approach makes the most sense at the range, where you generally start with an open gun on the table anyway.

Loading it with the slide closed and then racking it (if that is what you are doing) should work, of course, but it strikes me as trying to do things "the movie way," or something.

Regarding the not locking back: My P226 did that when new. Additional lube fixed the problem. Another time I caused the problem on my P225 when I "found" a great new grip that rested my thumb on the slide catch. So, that can happen.

Is this a new gun? I wonder if SIG has switched away from MegGar for manufacture of 10 rd magazines?

Swoop
02-18-2012, 9:21 AM
Good chance the gun is fine.

Rack the slide back and let go, release on its own don't be gentle let it slam into action.

Mag: looks like there is no baseplate?? As long as the mag clicks into place your good, I don't see a plastic baseplate so that could be the gap issue.

Slide not racking back on last round. 9/10 times it's because of your grip just barely touching / putting pressure on the slide release so when it should go back it doesn't, carefully shoot it and pay attention to your hand not being anywhere near the slide release on the last round. I felt like a genius when I was on the phone with sig about to send it back , the guy said turn around and go back to the range to try it real quick and that was it since I was used to shooting my 226 and I had a 220 combat I just got the grips were way thinner so I overlapped and had to change my grip to not hit the release. Best of luck

gmeister
02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Sig now uses Checkmate to manufacture their 10 round magazines. I know because I have them. I have had issues with FTF, premature slide lock, and slide not locking back after final round. I was having this happen consistently on all 5 of my magazines and with the last 2 rounds in the magazines. I contacted Sig and they swapped all 5 of my mags with the issues still being present. I decided to try new extra power magazine springs from Wolff Gun Springs. So far so good, but I am disappointed everything didn't function properly out of the box.

I've shot Sigs for years without these issues, until I got this newer P226.

Mrfixit687
03-14-2012, 6:27 PM
Got my gun back from Sig today, went to the range and shot 300 rounds of different ammunitions, happy to say the gun works perfect now. Slide locks back everytime now, and no more issues with slide not going forward. On the paperwork it says they polished the feed ramp, and adjusted slide catch lever.

hyperion.excal
03-14-2012, 7:44 PM
glad to hear your sig is now flawless.

Sigsauers CS is still the best bar none.

91 whiskey 209
03-14-2012, 7:55 PM
Dang, I was really locked onto a sig 226 as my next gun purchase but this thread has me reconsidering that choice. Glad to hear your pistol is back home with you.

civilsnake
03-14-2012, 8:05 PM
Dang, I was really locked onto a sig 226 as my next gun purchase but this thread has me reconsidering that choice. Glad to hear your pistol is back home with you.

No major company has perfect QC anymore. Understanding that, get what you want. The odds of something being wrong are very low (you just hear about the ones that are bad, not necessarily those that are perfect), and every company these days will fix a problem. Get the SIG and don't worry.

Sturnovik
03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
^ absolutely true. They put out tons more pistols than they did in the 80's or 90's and there returns/service are below 1%, so your fine. I've shot in excess of 14 "newer" sigs, never an issue except with a older sp2009 and sig p220 stainless.

And they haven't quite switched to other, at this moment it's on certain models. I never had issues with the checkmates, but I prefer the mecgars for there finish.