PDA

View Full Version : Question about CAR/Mid length rails

mmurdock77
02-17-2012, 3:46 PM
I'm fairly new to the AR game and I'm ready to buy my first drop in quad rail.
I've got a standard 14.7 inch (16 inch w/ FH) PSA A2 style upper. I recently purchased a 3x flip to side magnifier and need more rail space (preferably with a monolithic style top rail that hangs over the delta ring).

My question is, will a CAR length quad fit or will I have to go with a mid length sized rail? I've included some pics below.

http://i.imgur.com/ZgWjjl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rZSBwl.jpg

Scratch705
02-17-2012, 3:54 PM
you go with what is currently on the gun now. what length handguard is the MOE? CAR or mid-length? you can't just buy a longer length to get more space at least that is what i think?

mmurdock77
02-17-2012, 3:56 PM
Yeah, realized I'm running a mid length MOE, thanks for the head slap.

stevie
02-17-2012, 4:47 PM
You need a mid-length rail....

Arkangel
02-17-2012, 5:39 PM
You might want to measure your MOE handguard again, I just measured my old one this morning and its just over 9" long. At 7" yours sounds like a carbine length.

CHS
02-17-2012, 6:03 PM
The solution isn't to put stuff on the handguard. That's the last thing you want to do.

Move the MOE rear sight to the furthest rear rail slot. It's too far forward.

Then, if you really want a magnifier, get a cant-mount for the aimpoint (or clone), which will push it forward making room for the magnifier.

But putting the aimpoint on the handguard and the magnifier on the receiver is lunacy.

mmurdock77
02-17-2012, 6:19 PM
The solution isn't to put stuff on the handguard. That's the last thing you want to do.

Move the MOE rear sight to the furthest rear rail slot. It's too far forward.

Then, if you really want a magnifier, get a cant-mount for the aimpoint (or clone), which will push it forward making room for the magnifier.

But putting the aimpoint on the handguard and the magnifier on the receiver is lunacy.

That's a perfect idea. I hadn't even thought of a cant mount. I'll try this out.