PDA

View Full Version : M1A barrel swap

SFgiants105
02-17-2012, 3:59 PM
As part of an ongoing process to determine which .308 I am going to buy in the near future, I have been exploring many options, and the m14 platform is currently at the top of my list.

I had recently come across this while investigating a potential LRB M25 build. It is a full parts kit (minus receiver):

http://www.treelinem14.com/M14-M1A-Parts-Kit-SA-M14PKSA.htm

It costs $250 less to get it without the barrel, but a krieger (with fitting and misc services) costs $600.

My only question here is whether or not I can easily remove (by easily, I mean without damaging anything, and possibly without going through a gunsmith) the barrel that comes with the kit and have a krieger addded later on.

Actually, I lied. I have one more question: the kit comes with the option of the Springfield USGI bolt (for $100 extra) over the 7.62 NATO bolt that comes with the kit. What's the difference, is it worth it, etc.?

bender152
02-17-2012, 4:06 PM
Not easily. This is work for a gunsmith.

Contact kendog on these forums, he did a great job on my barrel swap. He lives in Santa Cruz.

SFgiants105
02-17-2012, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the help bender. How much would that cost (ballpark estimate). Also, assuming that the work will be done by an average gunsmith, are the chances low that my receiver will be damaged?

Oh yeah, and does anyone have experience with Krieger? Do they offer a service to remove my old barrel for me when they install my new one?

bender152
02-17-2012, 4:49 PM
kendog4570 is the member that rebarreled mine. He's done 'smithing for quite a few Calgunners. I don't know the exact cost, I had him work on a few things for me at the same time. I'm pretty sure a straight rebarrel costs less than $100.

As for damaging your receiver... it all depends on who does it. If the gunsmith is experienced and has done this previously, there should be no damage to your receiver at all.

Sunday
02-17-2012, 5:56 PM
No, you need a bunch of special tools gauges maybe a lathe? it is a big job though .

Sunday
02-17-2012, 5:59 PM
What is a nato bolt? made in Taiwan? You will want the best parts for a best M1a. I would buy a complete LRB costs more to buy worth it in the long run. Springfields now days aren't top quality.

jtv3062
02-17-2012, 6:23 PM
Ted brown put a Kreiger barrel on LRB receiver and head spaced a TRW bolt. I did the rest myself. It was no where $600. It think it was $200 for the work. I can't find the receipt.

Roy Mustang
03-02-2012, 7:36 PM
Krieger offers this service as well; $340 for the barrel $210 for the fitting

look it up online; they are about 4 weeks out on work and I think they have barrels in stock.

However unless your shooting ability us at or near to the master level with a service rifle a krieger is a waste of money. Also if you want to do an M14 platform you need to do way more than just go change the barrel and the LRB parts kit is not the place to start.

I was in your shoes about this time last year. I ended up buying the LRB rear lugged from LRB for around 4300 bucks with all the work done, but with the cheaper barrel. I figure I can swap the barrel for about $600 bucks to a krieger sell my current barrel for $300.

Honestly if you you are trying to be cheap and want accuracy forget it. Throwing a krieger onto a rifle that is not properly accurized is like flushing money down the toilet. I can almost promise that a $1700 SA National match will out shoot your mix master with a krieger that costed you in excess of $2000. There's alot of work that needs to be done to an m14 to make in accurate and keep it that way. That's why I switched to an AR15 for competition.