PDA

View Full Version : Question about Private Party purchases!

mbaerg
02-17-2012, 3:19 PM
Once you buy a firearm through a private party, how does it work as far as who holds it for the 11 day period? Can someone explain that to me?

hk91666
02-17-2012, 3:21 PM
The FFL who performs the DROS. The guy you pay to do the DROS.

halifax
02-17-2012, 3:21 PM
If you are buying a modern firearm from another CA resident both of you go to a dealer. The dealer does the paperwork and holds the firearm for 10 days.

jtrem
02-17-2012, 3:34 PM
I've wondered do you collect the money from the buyer before or after doing the DROS paper work?

hk91666
02-17-2012, 3:37 PM
I've wondered do you collect the money from the buyer before or after doing the DROS paper work?

During or before once they accept and proceed to Dros then it is generally theirs. JMHO. They will get your info during DROS as well.

Librarian
02-17-2012, 4:37 PM
See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California

CaliforniaLiberal
02-18-2012, 8:09 AM

Welcome to CalGuns Jtrem.

There is no customary moment for the exchange of money. Generally there is some amount of waiting in the gun store for the DROSing to begin and this is a good time to examine the firearm, if you haven't already, and to hand over money, magazines, ammunition or whatever else is part of your agreed upon deal that is not the actual gun.

It's a good idea if someone provides a gun case to protect the gun from getting scratched when the gun shop chucks it on to the heap of guns waiting ten days in the back room. :)

You should definitely collect the money from the buyer before leaving the gun shop.

It's a little like the question of just when you kiss a girl on the second date after walking her to her door. Do you kiss her before or after you say good-night and what a good time you had. Don't worry, it will work itself out.

Sanderhawk
02-18-2012, 10:07 AM
During or before once they accept and proceed to Dros then it is generally theirs. JMHO. They will get your info during DROS as well.

I just sold my AK47 and I had the guy pay me first before we went into Turners they did the paperwork and he paid the DROS I signed the form and Turners told me I was off the hook. Hope this helps.

mbaerg
02-20-2012, 1:23 AM
Thanks guys, sealed the deal and purchased the firearm