PDA

View Full Version : Nordyke v. King Oral Argument

Kestryll
02-17-2012, 3:13 PM
Posted at Gene's request, commentary to follow I would expect:

http://www.calguns.net/NordykevKingOral.pdf

Oral argument in this en banc case will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Monday,
March 19, 2012, in Courtroom One of the James R. Browning Courthouse, located
at 95 Seventh Street in San Francisco, California 94103.
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/information/locations.php

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 3:22 PM
Right on!

Hopefully this will bring us one step closer to closure (and releasing all the floodgates on the rest of the cases pending Nordyke).
Who’s going???

Coded-Dude
02-17-2012, 3:30 PM
nice.......wish i could be there.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 3:32 PM
reading now.....

Pretty easy read huh?

Coded-Dude
02-17-2012, 3:34 PM
lol, yeah......thought it was the actual argument for some reason(I posted before I read it).

safewaysecurity
02-17-2012, 3:35 PM
I'm going to see if I can make it.

stix213
02-17-2012, 4:16 PM
Nice, looks like its in walking distance from my office. I might show

Connor P Price
02-17-2012, 4:23 PM
Somehow I knew it would end up at the same time as Peterson. :facepalm:

safewaysecurity
02-17-2012, 4:32 PM

It doesn't matter. Gura isn't arguing in Nordyke as far as I know.

Connor P Price
02-17-2012, 4:36 PM
It doesn't matter. Gura isn't arguing in Nordyke as far as I know.

It only matters because it means I'm missing Nordyke. I was hoping to attend both.

Big Ben
02-17-2012, 5:41 PM

Sorry you can get to both, but I'm just glad to see evidence of movement in both places. Sometimes I feel like it is easier to see movement watching tectonic plates than watching 2A cases (Palmer, anyone?).

Connor P Price
02-17-2012, 5:57 PM
Sorry you can get to both, but I'm just glad to see evidence of movement in both places. Sometimes I feel like it is easier to see movement watching tectonic plates than watching 2A cases (Palmer, anyone?).

Movement is definitely nice. Nordyke has taken forever!

HowardW56
02-17-2012, 6:26 PM

Was there ever any doubt....

ECVMatt
02-17-2012, 6:28 PM
Will it be tweeted for those of us that can not make it?

BigDogatPlay
02-17-2012, 6:30 PM
Ok... I'll say it. Five weeks!!!!

I'll take a vacation day for this one. It's a long time in coming and, hopefully, the end of the road is near.

Gray Peterson
02-17-2012, 6:48 PM
Of course this happens on the same day. I was considering flying down to SFO from SEA or even from Denver but since it's on the same day, we can't do it, obviously.

Sorry, folks, but take heart: This will be the last "merits" argument in Nordyke unless we go up to SCOTUS. Light, end of tunnel.

HowardW56
02-17-2012, 8:32 PM
Light, end of tunnel.

True, but is it daylight, or the headlight of a oncoming train that will take us to SCOTUS...

1911_sfca
02-17-2012, 8:44 PM
two blocks from my house.. I'll be there. I'll have to dig out my Nordyke button from the last go-round.

hoffmang
02-17-2012, 9:13 PM
Gray, Alan Gura, and I will all be in Denver for Peterson v. Denver Sheriff of the Week oral argument. The rest of CGF will be at Nordyke. Of the two, I expect at least one if not both to end up in SCOTUS.

An hour and a half apart...

-Gene

Crom
02-17-2012, 9:32 PM
Glad to see things moving forward here. I look forward to any updates when they happen from those in the court room.

CitaDeL
02-17-2012, 9:34 PM
Gray, Alan Gura, and I will all be in Denver for Peterson v. Denver Sheriff of the Week oral argument. The rest of CGF will be at Nordyke. Of the two, I expect at least one if not both to end up in SCOTUS.

-Gene

March 19, 2012- it must be date where the crossroads of gun rights meets. If you take into account that Denver is an hour ahead of us- unless I am mistaken, only a half hour seperate the two court events.

Blackhawk556
02-17-2012, 9:37 PM
Of course this happens on the same day. I was considering flying down to SFO from SEA or even from Denver but since it's on the same day, we can't do it, obviously.

Sorry, folks, but take heart: This will be the last "merits" argument in Nordyke unless we go up to SCOTUS. Light, end of tunnel.

What are the chances of we getting a good decision and at the last minute, someone calls for another en banc?

Didn't this happen before McDonald?

Blackhawk556
02-17-2012, 9:39 PM

-Gene

Never mind. I was wrong.

Connor P Price
02-17-2012, 9:43 PM
Why do I have a feeling SCOTUS is turning down all the carry cases in order to take on another Gura case? I think they like the guy ;)

Peterson isn't really a "Gura case," he submitted an amicus on the behalf of a bunch or organizations but is not Gray's attorney.

Blackhawk556
02-17-2012, 9:47 PM
Peterson isn't really a "Gura case," he submitted an amicus on the behalf of a bunch or organizations but is not Gray's attorney.

You're right. He has the CA case if I remember correctly.

nicki
02-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks like I should be able to make this one and this time finally hang around after the hearings.:43:

For those of you who have never made the court hearings, it is "entertaining" to watch the other side "mumble through" the questions.

Nicki

Gray Peterson
02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
What are the chances of we getting a good decision and at the last minute, someone calls for another en banc?

Didn't this happen before McDonald?

No, that is not what happened. There is no further en banc. The only reason en banc previously did not come to a decision was because McDonald had came down before submission, so the majority sent it back down to 3 judge panel in light of McDonald. They made the wrong decision, according to a majority of the active judges in the circuit, so it's being sent back to en banc for full merits briefing.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2012, 7:25 AM
Not the first time two important 2A cases have been scheduled at basically the exact same time in different locations.

GeeEEeeEEeeEEee what are the odds?!?!?

Gray Peterson
02-18-2012, 7:45 AM
Not the first time two important 2A cases have been scheduled at basically the exact same time in different locations.

GeeEEeeEEeeEEee what are the odds?!?!?

I call it great progress.

Drivedabizness
02-18-2012, 8:38 AM
Definitely rooting for you and for the cause, Gray!

Are you guys fairly certain the other side will appeal to SCOTUS if they lose? (I understand of you can't answer because it would disclose strateegery)

Window_Seat
02-18-2012, 8:59 AM
Be sure to visit the Nordyke v. King III Facebook Event Page (http://www.facebook.com/events/273752892695259/) and chime in. :cool:

See you there!

Erik.

Funtimes
02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
How long till Nordyke oral arguments are published after trial? (audio etc) I would love to hear them before rolling into court on the 21st.