PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with weapon lights

whipkiller
02-17-2012, 2:46 PM
If you have a light mounted on your gun for HD, do most of you leave it on all the time, or remove it when shooting for fun and/or practice?

barca101
02-17-2012, 2:54 PM
On duty and training, it's on my Glock. When I'm off duty CCW, the WL comes off. The reason being I use different firearms for ccw.. In HD, I use a bright LED hand held light.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 3:04 PM
X300 attached to one of my HD options. I’ll occasionally shoot with it @ the range for nothing more than kicks. :shrug:

KeithG
02-17-2012, 3:10 PM
Malfunctions have been reported suggesting that at least occasional range use is advisable.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

therza2071
02-17-2012, 3:11 PM
Depends entirely on the mood I'm in, but, like Keith said, it would probably be a good idea to break it out occasionally just to make sure it's in working order.

tbc
02-17-2012, 3:18 PM
All the time on my chosen HD firearm.

Mr310
02-17-2012, 3:19 PM
I never take it off.

AeroEngi
02-17-2012, 3:21 PM
I used to leave it on all the time but recently I've been taking it off when going to the range.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RickRyder
02-17-2012, 3:23 PM
I have a TLR-2 on my XD40. I leave it on the weapon in the home, but I take it off when going to the range or otherwise. I see no point in risking damage to it or possibly losing it, when it's main purpose is for home defense.

unusedusername
02-17-2012, 3:34 PM
I leave my x400 on my HD Sig all the time, even at the range.

The balance of the gun is slightly different with the light attached and I want to make sure my muscle memory includes the weight of the light.

Besides, if the light breaks at the range then I know it is a crappy light and I need to get something better (which happend to me with an NCStar, but is unlikely with a Surefire...)

yuccales
02-17-2012, 3:38 PM
Mine stays on the SR all the time.

stix213
02-17-2012, 3:58 PM
If you planned to have the light on for HD, why would you practice without it? Your gun has a different balance with the light and the light might cause reliability issues you wouldn't know about without sending hundreds of rounds down range with it installed.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-17-2012, 4:07 PM
If you planned to have the light on for HD, why would you practice without it? Your gun has a different balance with the light and the light might cause reliability issues you wouldn't know about without sending hundreds of rounds down range with it installed.

^This^

If your HD weapon normally wears a light, leave it on when you go shooting.

-Mb

whipkiller
02-17-2012, 4:58 PM

Oh I absolutely will practice regularly with it on, just undecided if I want to leave it mounted all the time.

Part of the reason is that I'm holster shopping and don't really want to shell out for two more holsters. At home it's either in a little cubby shelf of my nightstand, or in the safe when I leave, so un-holstered.

The gun (SP-01) is pretty heavy to begin with, so the difference in weight/balance is not as drastic as it would be with a polymer gun.

robcoe
02-17-2012, 5:27 PM
I leave the light on my shotgun all the time

cfusionpm
02-17-2012, 5:42 PM
All the time. :)

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2990/2022n.jpg

slikna99
02-17-2012, 5:53 PM

Agreed. I had reliability issues with my tlr-1 on my glock 23. Glad I found out at the range and not in a SD situation.

rplusplus
02-17-2012, 5:56 PM
Funny story...

When I got my new Shotgun I figured... sure why not put a light on it, just in case I ever needed to light up who/what I was laying a bead on...

Went to the range and on the 4th or 5th round... off it goes 4 feet down range...

Broom to retrieve it and a little more torque on the rail mount. Next 20 rounds no issues.

Make sure if you do use a light/laser... you do test it at the range. =]

Mossy Man
02-17-2012, 5:59 PM
Funny story...

When I got my new Shotgun I figured... sure why not put a light on it, just in case I ever needed to light up who/what I was laying a bead on...

Went to the range and on the 4th or 5th round... off it goes 4 feet down range...

Broom to retrieve it and a little more torque on the rail mount. Next 20 rounds no issues.

Make sure if you do use a light/laser... you do test it at the range. =]

blue locktite is your friend

Mr Malarkey
02-17-2012, 6:08 PM
I have a TLR-3 on my G23 at all times for HD situations.
I figure there is a good chance that if I need to use my HD gun it will be dark, and I don't want to fumble around with a separate light.
I have practiced with both the dedicated light and with a hand held and much prefer the dedicated light.
Never had a malfunction with the light on the gun.
So, with that in mind I also got a holster that would accommodate the light.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/GrumpyDog/IMG_8729RS.jpg