PDA

View Full Version : $599 for M&P 15 Sport ** good deal?

CALI SHOT DOC
02-17-2012, 1:15 PM
I can get a M&P 15 Sport for $599 and was wondering if this is a pretty good deal to take advantage of?

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 1:21 PM
Probably. If it is an online out of state purchase you won't have sales tax but you will have a transfer fee, so weigh those options when considering final price.

J.D.Allen
02-17-2012, 1:28 PM
That's the model without the dust cover and forward assist right?

LoadedM333
02-17-2012, 1:33 PM
Also, it's not chrome lining I think.

SGGear
02-17-2012, 1:43 PM
Probably. If it is an online out of state purchase you won't have sales tax but you will have a transfer fee, so weigh those options when considering final price.

Recently, local gun shops are collecting sales tax for out of state purchases. They claim its the new regulations. You might want to check with your local gun shops first.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 2:11 PM
The mp15sport is very much worth 599!
Screw chrome lining
Screw dust cover
Screw forward assist
I had mine ran steel cased ammo thru it, brass thru it, and it rab GREAT!
Get it

707electrician
02-17-2012, 2:12 PM

Recently, local gun shops are collecting sales tax for out of state purchases. They claim its the new regulations. You might want to check with your local gun shops first.

Its not 'new regulations' its been state law for quite some time now. It is just being more strictly enforced now

therza2071
02-17-2012, 2:14 PM
Great guns, very well made.

And for what it's worth, I've heard that melonite is superior to chrome lining in almost every conceivable way, so don't let the lack of chrome bother you.

Drivedabizness
02-17-2012, 2:15 PM
Is this new or used?

New, or even (come on guys, you'd pay sales tax from a CA store and they've been selling them for $699 or more) lightly used, $599 seems like a good deal.

The transfer fee is another issue. Compare with local shops and do the math.

I don't remember seeing anyone who bought one and decided they didn't like it.

JNunez23
02-17-2012, 2:35 PM
That's a solid deal. I mean, any given day you can find it for mid to high $600 range, so it's up to you to determine if the value is there for you.

Mac7504
02-17-2012, 3:00 PM
Get it, get it, get it...Considering I was told that S&W raised prices, I would say it's a bang up deal...You can't find em for less than $659.99 locally...At least, I've not been able to.

Turners had a $599 deal sometime ago, but that has long passed and will NOT be renewing this deal.

LovingTheYear1911
02-17-2012, 3:44 PM
Yes that's a great deal. They are 699 around here. And who cares about a dust cover, FA, or chrome lining. I highly doubt you will put 30k rounds for the chrome lining to play a role. And it's not a difference in cleaning. To me it doesn't make a difference.

Scratch705
02-17-2012, 3:48 PM
$599 will probably be the best deal you can get in CA, outside of CA i have read that it can go lower but that is probably due to the amount of available alternative choices they have access to that we don't.

ChaneRZ
02-17-2012, 3:53 PM
Totally worth buying!!! I would get that.

Omil
02-17-2012, 4:10 PM
Great deal!

Sunday
02-17-2012, 4:51 PM
It is pretty low end.

chad68
02-17-2012, 5:49 PM
I paid $700 for mine in a retail shop, plus tax and DROS. I pick it up next Saturday.

Two things I liked about it was that there was no FA and no dust cover. I like that it doesn't look exactlly like all the others with those two features. Plus being cheap, it allows me to swap out half the gun and mod/upgrade it as I see fit.

Haven't even got it and have about $700 worth of mods here waiting to go on. I'm already looking at stainless bull barrels to throw on it.

TNP'R
02-17-2012, 5:56 PM
I wouldn't get it because it doesn't have the forward assist and dust cover, those two things are pretty trivial but I like the look of them. But go with it if you want I hear M&P 15s are pretty good.

Arkangel
02-17-2012, 6:03 PM
Good deal, as many have said $650-700 is now the norm.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 6:20 PM
@tnp'r
Why would you not get it based on looks?
Does that make sense?
Dont get me wrong looks are cool but i'd rather have something that works GREAT and look decent, than have something that works decent and looks great!
Guess thats just me though...
Op if you dont get it and live in the bay area please pm me with who has it for $599 thanks byd and good luck

Id rather have a rusted out Ferrari with brand new engine and running gear
Than a beutiful ferrari with no engine!

jbush
02-17-2012, 6:22 PM
Rifle gear had them for 640. Don't know if they still do. Compare that to the extra cost if it's an out of state purchase. I understand the local FFL has to collect sales tax on the purchase. In California, out of state and online purchases are supposedly subject to sales tax, you just don't pay it on most purchases because they have no way to track what you bought out of state. The california income tax forms have a place for those who want to be honest enough to claim out of state purchases and donate your money to the state. I purchased a boat out of state and transfered the title to Arizona, but because it was originally titled by the previous owner in California they thought I should pay California sales tax on 50K. I told them the sale was made in Arizona and they don't sales tax private party purchases and they could shove off. They finaly went away, but it was pretty nervy to ask for money on a sale done in another state. But, that's California "land of the fee." The greed state.

TNP'R
02-17-2012, 6:52 PM
@tnp'r
Why would you not get it based on looks?
Does that make sense?
Dont get me wrong looks are cool but i'd rather have something that works GREAT and look decent, than have something that works decent and looks great!
Guess thats just me though...
Op if you dont get it and live in the bay area please pm me with who has it for $599 thanks byd and good luck

Id rather have a rusted out Ferrari with brand new engine and running gear
Than a beutiful ferrari with no engine!

So if you have a rifle with a dust cover and a forward assist that makes it less reliable?? That doesn't make sense, but the bottom line is someone should buy what they want.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 7:01 PM
You didnt say nothing bout reliability you said you didnt like the LOOK..
As for reliable I tear guns up, and that mp15 handled alot of crap before I got rid of it.

TNP'R
02-17-2012, 7:02 PM
You didnt say nothing bout reliability you said you didnt like the LOOK..
As for reliable I tear guns up, and that mp15 handled alot of crap before I got rid of it.

And so what does that have to do with a dust cover and a forward assist. I don't follow you're logic. There are TONS of rifles out there with a forward assist and dust cover that run great.

Speedpower
02-17-2012, 7:08 PM
When will the forward assist ever going to be used? don't get me wrong I have 4 AR's but have never used the forward assist, I also have an AK and it does not have the forward assist and the dust cover............ but it functions flawlessly.:rolleyes:

TNP'R
02-17-2012, 7:10 PM
When will the forward assist ever going to be used? don't get me wrong I have 4 AR's but have never used the forward assist, I also have an AK and it does not have the forward assist and the dust cover............ but it functions flawlessly.:rolleyes:

It may never be used but I personally like the look of it, is that wrong? Its not the sole deciding factor on buying an AR either for me.

MyklGee
02-17-2012, 7:11 PM
I say get it. I picked mine up for $649 plus tax and fees. I went out last weekend and shot 300 rds with out a hitch. Great bang for the buck.

shark92651
02-17-2012, 7:15 PM
I can get a M&P 15 Sport for $599 and was wondering if this is a pretty good deal to take advantage of?

Find out what your final OTD price is with shipping, transfer fees, sales tax (a LOT of shops are charging it now to avoid a BOE audit), etc... It may not be a better deal than what your LGS has it for.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 7:33 PM
@tnp
Again I was going off what you said, you said you didnt like the LOOK and as far as lots that do have dc's and fa's how many are in the price range of the mp15 and function as well as the mp15?

p2rider426
02-17-2012, 7:36 PM
Awesome rifle, great price! Got mine for $650 new off a fellow calgunner and love the crap outta it.

TNP'R
02-17-2012, 7:37 PM
@tnp
Again I was going off what you said, you said you didnt like the LOOK and as far as lots that do have dc's and fa's how many are in the price range of the mp15 and function as well as the mp15?

If you look at my original post I agree'd that he should get it. If it was me however i'd look for a different rifle if that means more money then it does.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 7:41 PM
@tnp
Cool we all have different likes n dislikes,
I think the op should get an ak, lol just kidding, OR AM I? Lmao
Good chattin with you tno

CombatDOC
02-17-2012, 7:41 PM
The M&P is a great off the shelf AR. I've had my Magpul Moe Ed. S&W since 2009 and still no issues or problems.

ChaneRZ
02-17-2012, 8:08 PM
I enjoy my sport better than LMT go figure haha.

bohoki
02-17-2012, 8:09 PM
the sport has a neato trigger guard go for it

Chan
02-17-2012, 8:45 PM
I'm picking mine up from RifleGear on Monday, paid $730 OTD. So $649 retail. And as far as paying taxes, yeah you have to pay taxes on online purchases. You always had to on your taxes but nobody ever did that. It was a bill that was passed last year that Amazon fought and are still fighting it by withdrawing all their subsidiaries in California so California is losing even more jobs. But basically the online stores have to collect sales tax on all sales now in California.

jeffrice6
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Find a FFL that dosen't charge tax & you're GTG!

Merc1138
02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
I also have an AK and it does not have the forward assist and the dust cover

Uhh, yes it does.

You know that thing that sticks out of the side, it's attached to the bolt, needs to be pulled backwards? That's a forward assist when you push it forwards. The AR has a separate forward assist because there was no way to just push forward on the charging handle to push the bolt forward.

I'm not saying the forward assist is necessary, but you should understand why it was there and why your AK doesn't have a separate plunger for the same function.

BTW, your AK also has a dust cover for the ejection port. That's why the safety lever is shaped the way it is(and covers the ejection port when it's on safe).

LBDamned
02-18-2012, 1:50 AM
Also, it's not chrome lining I think.

And??? Is that relevant? (if so, please explain)...

It is pretty low end.

how so?

Yes.

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 8:29 AM
Did you get it yet OP?

Santa Cruz Armory
02-18-2012, 8:36 AM
We have 'em on sale for $659 this weekend. (normally $679)

NorCalK9.com
02-18-2012, 8:42 AM
@blfd1
What shop?

HonkingAntelope
02-18-2012, 8:46 AM
Its not 'new regulations' its been state law for quite some time now. It is just being more strictly enforced now

Aside from that, is saving $30-50 really worth throwing your local dealers under the bus? I don't mean to sound like Mr Rich Guy, but if a local gun shop is selling what I want for a *fair* price, I'd rather contribute to their revenue than jump through all the FFL shipping hoops.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-18-2012, 8:56 AM
@blfd1
What shop?

One left at our Shop. Santa Cruz Armory.
831-706-7374

We can also get the Optics Ready carbine version for $899.

Aces and 8s
02-18-2012, 9:40 AM
GET IT! I love mine.

chad68
03-10-2012, 8:07 PM
What this thread needs is some crappy cell pics of mine!!!!

So here we go.....

Yankee Hill 'spectere length' free float handguard, Yankee Hill end cap, Picatinny caps, Chooped factory site down into a low profile bas block. Magpul stock, Hogue grip, Burris PEPR mount, 3x9 Bushnell (old one from the 90's) Butler creek caps, Tactical Solutions compensator, half dozen 10-20 P mags, with Ranger plate gizmos.

Not a $700 AR anymore.

p2rider426
03-11-2012, 11:00 AM
We have 'em on sale for $659 this weekend. (normally $679)

Good deal for a local shop! I might refer a couple of buddies down to you guys if you run that deal again.

chad68
04-09-2012, 8:59 PM
Finally got to take mine out and shoot it. Fired about 200 rounds. Half brass and other half steel and maybe 5 diffrent brands total. It ran 100% all day. 1/4" groups or less at 25 yards, which was all the distance I had that day to play with. sometimes they would go through the same whole using my tailgate as a rest.

navycorpsman
04-10-2012, 9:47 AM
I will say go for it I have 2 and just tweeked little things here and there to improve it. You will have all those AR finatics say ohhh no dust cover ohhhh no forward assist. OKAY well for those of you clearing houses in the desert maybe makes sen\se but hey IMHO if you need a forward assist CLEAN YOUR RIFLE and dust cover is open when your shooting anyways so throw that theory out. And as far as the chrome oh well means clean your rifle when your done and might require a little more work. Big deal. Other than that VERY ACCURATE 1/8 twist is awesome for shooting all various grains. Hey perfect gun, then again I can accomplish what I need to with any AR i would trust this next to any colt, Daniel Defense etcc. And if you think I am crazy go shoot one and find out for yourself.

Spaceghost
04-10-2012, 9:52 AM
I require a forward assist on all of my AR's after doing a few classes and doing chamber checks in the dark. Nothing more assuring then hitting the forward assist a few times to make sure the round is in battery when you can't see.

If you plan on never on taking a course and just want to shoot from the bench, by all means go for it. It is a good deal.