PDA

View Full Version : Dealer inventories online?

calif 15-22
02-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Is there a way online or other to locate a specific model of gun. I've been looking for a Springfield XD Tactical in OD with no luck?

Just wondering if Springfield or other manufacturers have online inventory availability.

bug_eyedmonster
02-17-2012, 1:33 PM
The best way to do this is to go to your local gun store, ask them to check with their distributors and see what's available. The problem is, some distributors give better prices than others, therefore some gun stores will only check the ones they "usually" buy that specific line from. For example, they might get Springfeld 1911s form Davidsons because of pricing, but RSR might have it in stock, but at a slightly higher price. This is going to take a while for them to hunt it down, so if I were you, I would tell them you want to put a deposit on one to help motivate them a bit more =). Best of luck on huning one down!

Jerry

calif 15-22
02-17-2012, 2:19 PM
The best way to do this is to go to your local gun store, ask them to check with their distributors and see what's available. The problem is, some distributors give better prices than others, therefore some gun stores will only check the ones they "usually" buy that specific line from. For example, they might get Springfeld 1911s form Davidsons because of pricing, but RSR might have it in stock, but at a slightly higher price. This is going to take a while for them to hunt it down, so if I were you, I would tell them you want to put a deposit on one to help motivate them a bit more =). Best of luck on huning one down!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I did try 2 dealers who checked online for 20 minutes or so, but no luck. I think like you said they checked their normal guys and that was it. I wanted to order but both said just check back in a couple of weeks.

I'll keep looking . . . thanks

Kodachrome
02-18-2012, 8:33 AM
You did not mention which caliber? Try this:
[url]http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/
If its in stock , you can order from the dealers hooked up with Gallery of Guns(Davidsons).
Good Luck

Ubermcoupe
02-18-2012, 8:37 AM
C15-22,

I too share in the OD disease. :D.
I don’t know of any manufacturer that lists their current inventory but if you run a google you should be able to find an online retailer that will have some in stock. Best of luck.

IVC
02-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Almost all gun manufacturers sell through distributors (wholesale), who then supply local stores (retail). The "online" stores are often local stores with a large online presence, so in most respects there is no difference in how the supply chain works.

Online retailers will let you "backorder" items, where you put (typically) 20% down and then wait for the firearm to become available. At the time of backorder, they should give you a decent idea about the "lead time" - the time when they expect your model to be available. The lead time will be a broad window, e.g., 4-8 weeks, which is based on what the distributor tells them. Since most guns are manufactured in batches, you will notice that there are periods when you can get a particular model, followed by periods when they are out of stock everywhere.

If you decide to backorder you *will* get your gun. However, you have to be patient and you have to make sure you are working with respectable, large retailers. The small guys might not have enough pull within the distribution chain to get you your firearm in reasonable amount of time.

calif 15-22
02-19-2012, 2:22 PM
Update: walked into Target Masters as they were the last dealer i didn't check and low and behold behind the glass was a XD9 Tactical in Olive Drab. Put in jail for 11 days (for some reason they require 11 rather than 10 days).