PDA

View Full Version : Got my 1911 9mm back from SA Repair Shop

BoJackUSMC
02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Dear members

Recently my 1911 was having failure to feed when using HP rounds with Wilson Combat, Tripp Research, and factory Springfield magazines . I just got my 1911 back from the repair shop and they have polished my feed ramp and fixed the rear sight for me. Excellent customer service by the way.

After getting back my 1911, I am still having same issue with Wilson Combat and Tripp Research magazines. However, the factory magazine works fine now and it will eat just about anything without hiccups. I am going to take my gun to range again this Sunday and try to break-in Wilson and Tripp Research magazine once more before calling their customer service. At worse case, I can just use those 10rd magazines only for range purpose. I am little bummed out because I really wanted to use Wilson and Tripp Research magazines as home defense magazine, not just for range purpose.

therza2071
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Replace your magazine springs with some extra power Wolff's?

BoJackUSMC
02-17-2012, 1:04 PM
Replace your magazine springs with some extra power Wolff's?

The magazines are less than one month old and I bought it brand new. Little weird because FMJ works fine, but only HP rounds I am having trouble.

therza2071
02-17-2012, 1:17 PM
The magazines are less than one month old and I bought it brand new. Little weird because FMJ works fine, but only HP rounds I am having trouble.

Even with brand new magazines, the springs can sometimes be weak enough to induce FTF's.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the pistol, because it feeds fine from factory magazines, so I would say that the culprit is probably your aftermarket magazines.

Hey, it's worth a shot, and it won't cost you more than a couple bucks.

BoJackUSMC
02-17-2012, 1:32 PM
Even with brand new magazines, the springs can sometimes be weak enough to induce FTF's.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the pistol, because it feeds fine from factory magazines, so I would say that the culprit is probably your aftermarket magazines.

Hey, it's worth a shot, and it won't cost you more than a couple bucks.

Thank you for the tip..... I am going to take it to the range this Sunday once more and after that I am going to call Wilson and Tripp if problem does not get fixed. I am pretty sure they will take care of me since they are known for their product and their customer service.

therza2071
02-17-2012, 1:36 PM
Thank you for the tip..... I am going to take it to the range this Sunday once more and after that I am going to call Wilson and Tripp if problem does not get fixed. I am pretty sure they will take care of me since they are known for their product and their customer service.

Not sure how new to 1911's you are, but some examples can be very picky on magazines, so when you find some mags that your 1911 likes, stock up on them. Mine loves MecGars, so I've got a bag full of them.

Sure, no problem, man. Hope you get your problem fixed. :)

bug_eyedmonster
02-17-2012, 1:41 PM
A good thing to double check, on a side note. Some of my 9mm 1911 mags were mislabeled, so they were .38 super mags, not 9x19 mags. This wasn't noticable at first, but when I went to load them, the rounds had about a mile of play forward and back. I wanted to try one just to see if it would work, and it was just stupid. I wasn't able to return them after purchase, so I ended up selling them to a friend that has a .38 super. Not a big deal, but just a heads up.

Jerry

BoJackUSMC
02-17-2012, 2:08 PM
I still have my Loaded coupon so I can stock on factory Springfield magazines if problem does not get fixed. However, Tripp Research magazine looks so cool :D

shamu415
02-17-2012, 2:50 PM
Best proven mags I must recommend are the cmc power mags if all else failed

rumblebee
02-17-2012, 3:07 PM
Good to hear SA is taking care of you....I know that my SA TRP Operator (full rail) came with Chip McCormick match grade mags with the rubber base pads installed and I've never had an issue with them.

good luck :cheers2:

Lead Waster
02-17-2012, 3:09 PM
Best proven mags I must recommend are the cmc power mags if all else failed

I am guessing that you mean the 8 ROUND cmc magazines. The 10 rounders (that are topped off) have a bit of a nose dive issue, even with rounds loaded to 1.260 as per their literature.

I think my 10 round CMC mags are going to be re purposed as "8 rounders with extended base plate".

HPGunner
02-17-2012, 3:14 PM
BoJack - you can pick up Metalform mags from MidwayUSA. SA's stock mags are made by Metalform. I'll try feeding my Springfield 9mm with some JHP the next time I hit the range using my Tripps and Wilson mags and will give you some feedback. I have had no issues with them shooting ball ammo so far.

BoJackUSMC
02-17-2012, 3:18 PM
BoJack - you can pick up Metalform mags from MidwayUSA. SA's stock mags are made by Metalform. I'll try feeding my Springfield 9mm with some JHP the next time I hit the range using my Tripps and Wilson mags and will give you some feedback. I have had no issues with them shooting ball ammo so far.

Thanks Gunner, good thing for me since both of us have same gun and same magazines.

Press Check
02-17-2012, 7:32 PM
From experience with Wilson ETM and Tripp Cobra magazines, I had to weaken the springs by loading and unloading them before they would feed reliably. During your break-in at the range, load the magazines with 9 rounds instead of 10.

When you sent the pistol to Springfield, you should have sent the magazines you intended to use with the pistol.

1nickatnite1
02-17-2012, 11:02 PM
if the stock ones work fine, why not just get more stock magazines?

puRe59
02-18-2012, 12:20 AM
A good thing to double check, on a side note. Some of my 9mm 1911 mags were mislabeled, so they were .38 super mags, not 9x19 mags. This wasn't noticable at first, but when I went to load them, the rounds had about a mile of play forward and back. I wanted to try one just to see if it would work, and it was just stupid. I wasn't able to return them after purchase, so I ended up selling them to a friend that has a .38 super. Not a big deal, but just a heads up.

Jerry

I had no problems running .38 super mags at the range. I used to run them in my springfield 1911 9mm. They were on sale, so I thought I'd take a gamble and it worked out for me.

CDNN sometimes has sales on 1911 mags. Just subscribe to their email listing

Blackhawk556
02-18-2012, 12:45 AM
I still have my Loaded coupon so I can stock on factory Springfield magazines if problem does not get fixed. However, Tripp Research magazine looks so cool :D

aren't the coupons only good for only 90 days from date of purchase?

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility

voiceoftheright
02-18-2012, 1:01 AM
God...give up on the damn Wilson and Tripp mags because the internet told you they were the best. Metalforms work great in my gun, apparently your's too, so stop effing around just because talk on the internet and use what works.

jonzer77
02-18-2012, 8:26 AM
I have some Wilson mags and they malfunction like crazy with jhp ammo but work great for fmj, lswc, and every other reload I have tried. When I use the standard colt mags my gun will run just fine with jhp, just not with Wilson combat mags.

1911Luvr
02-18-2012, 2:06 PM
I suggest you tune your magazines for best performance. If you have a good local 1911 smith I would take it over and have him tweak the retaining lips and check the follower. You should also get a magazine's worth of snap caps and then run a check- load the mag, rack the slide and drop it on the snap cap, then rack and look at the next round to see if it wants to nose dive, drag on the feed ramp, etc. You will likely notice the rounds have different behavior on the first ones versus the last ones due to spring tension, etc. This can be tuned on the mag or the gun depending where the problem lies. Often stock mags work well because 7 rounders have much more consistent spring tension.

If you are in socal, go see Will O' Hara in corona and he can fix you up!

08duramax
02-18-2012, 10:03 PM
if the stock ones work fine, why not just get more stock magazines?

This. If stock work great why would you want to use something else for home defense. Stop trying to make a simple problem complicated.

hkfooey
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
I have both SA & MecGars 9 rounds mag - work like a charm.

negolien
02-19-2012, 3:34 AM
LOL I +1 on the if it ain't broke why fix it.... I use chips shootin stars in my Kimber .45 why spend the cash if you don't have too. I also load my clips to shoot. Meaning I know 1911's can be finicky with HP's so I use Critical Defense as the first few rounds then have Gold Dots loaded knowing once the first round or 2 have been fired it's a non issue.

Bakerloo
02-19-2012, 6:29 AM
Here is a good article on 1911 mags.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

den888
02-19-2012, 6:38 AM
Nice 1911!