PDA

View Full Version : Carelessness in a gun store

Curley Red
02-17-2012, 12:53 PM
So I go to a gun store I have never been before, it is a very small store but has a descent amount of items for sale. As I am looking at slings I hear one of the guys behind a counter pull out a gun for a customer and show it to him. Then like normal I hear the slide go back because everyone knows the best way to sell a gun is to make it make noise. So I look over my shoulder to see what gun he is showing and I notice the guy behind the counter fanning everyone with the gun in the store, then after he passes by right in front of my head I hear it go click as it is pointed just to the side of me. Whether or not the gun was empty, which it was, that is not a smart thing to do. I really don't like any gun pointed at me, let alone hearing the trigger go when it has just pasted my head and is still pointed in my direction but a few inches to the side of my head. Needless to say I immediately walked out and will never go there again. So much for gun rule #1, don't point at what you don't want to shoot.

I won;t name the store, but I guarantee I will never mention it or go there again. What was real surprising was that the guy was not a kid and was probably in his 40's. I guess some people never learn.

I know some people may think I am overreacting but when I see a gun pointed at my face then a few seconds later hear the trigger go as the gun is still pointed in my direction, that does not make me feel good.

Oh well, there loss.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 1:09 PM
SO if you’re not going to out the store, your post was just to vent? - do you feel better?

Curley Red
02-17-2012, 1:19 PM
SO if youíre not going to out the store, your post was just to vent? - do you feel better?

Yes I do, thanks! I actually feel much better.

winnre
02-17-2012, 1:26 PM
I like how Turner's puts up animal heads to point at.

G60
02-17-2012, 1:26 PM
I don't think I would have ever been able to buy a gun if I refused to shop at every FFL where I saw unsafe handling.

CHS
02-17-2012, 1:37 PM
I won;t name the store, but I guarantee I will never mention it or go there again. What was real surprising was that the guy was not a kid and was probably in his 40's. I guess some people never learn.

This post is worthless without naming the store.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 1:40 PM
Yes I do, thanks! I actually feel much better.

Good.

I don't think I would have ever been able to buy a gun if I refused to shop at every FFL where I saw unsafe handling.

Ditto that, especially from all the dudes in there picking out their first ones. :p

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 1:42 PM

hehe.

aww, címon Chris, he posted to vent and now he feels better.

chrisf
02-17-2012, 1:54 PM
Seriously, Why post if you aren't going to out the store. You should let us know! PM ME I'm just nosy (spelling?)

jonc
02-17-2012, 1:56 PM
what store....

Curley Red
02-17-2012, 2:00 PM
I won't name the store since since I don't feel causing a business possible future business based on one employees actions. I contacted the store owner and informed him of what happened and why I won't go there again. Imagine if you owned a business and one of your employees did something wrong, would you like it blasted all over the place or would you rather have the incident brought up to you so you could fix it.

I guess I should have put in the title "Just want to vent". Oh well lesson learned.

oldsmoboat
02-17-2012, 2:17 PM
... fanning everyone with the gun in the store...
Ya, it's much easier to do it when the gun is in the store. :facepalm:

Black Majik
02-17-2012, 3:02 PM
I saw a new young sale's man, showing off his pistol, droping out the magazine which was loaded. is this a problem? at lease, it is not necessary, maybe unsafe. imho, a loaded gun, if allowed is for safety reason only. there is no point to show it off to a customer. I wouldn't name the store.

there are stupid people, so stupid gun laws for them.

I would have an issue with that and would have brought it up to the manager. Carrying in a holster I'm comfortable around, but under no circumstances should employees be handling loaded firearms / unloading it to show their friends. That would make be really nervous regardless of how safe they were.

BanjoGunner
02-17-2012, 3:08 PM
Rather than, or in addition to, venting here, why not admonish the guy while you were in the store? I've done exactly that under similar circumstances. The guy wasn't happy about being called out, but then I wasn't happy about being swept, so I figured we were even. Seems more likely to actually correct the problem in the long run.

Sent via Tapatalk

Boo_Radley
02-17-2012, 4:25 PM
It's not too late to change the thread title...

stix213
02-17-2012, 4:46 PM
Recently at a local FFL I saw hundreds of uranium centrifuges, dozens of people in white coats speaking both Korean and Persian testing something they placed on the tip of a tall tube, and I saw a sale of a handgun without a safety clear demo.

I'm not going to name the store though.

:rolleyes:

NotEnufGarage
02-17-2012, 5:08 PM

^^^This times 1000

NSR500
02-17-2012, 5:11 PM
I was recently at a store and they had guns... I felt uncomfortable, so I called the owner.

I'm not naming the store.

rplusplus
02-17-2012, 5:16 PM
http://www.digdang.com/media/images/run_for_your_life_5111.jpg

Run to the Hills... Run for... Your... Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee!

Coded-Dude
02-17-2012, 5:16 PM
So I go to a gun store I have never been before, it is a very small store but has a descent amount of items for sale. As I am looking at slings I hear one of the guys behind a counter pull out a gun for a customer and show it to him. Then like normal I hear the slide go back because everyone knows the best way to sell a gun is to make it make noise. So I look over my shoulder to see what gun he is showing and I notice the guy behind the counter fanning everyone with the gun in the store, then after he passes by right in front of my head I hear it go click as it is pointed just to the side of me. Whether or not the gun was empty, which it was, that is not a smart thing to do. I really don't like any gun pointed at me, let alone hearing the trigger go when it has just pasted my head and is still pointed in my direction but a few inches to the side of my head. Needless to say I immediately walked out and will never go there again. So much for gun rule #1, don't point at what you don't want to shoot.

I know some people may think I am overreacting but when I see a gun pointed at my face then a few seconds later hear the trigger go as the gun is still pointed in my direction, that does not make me feel good.

Oh well, there loss.

you do realize that is the store ensuring the gun is empty before handing it over to a potential customer....standard protocol. It's not a sales technique.

acaligunner
02-17-2012, 5:30 PM
So I look over my shoulder to see what gun he is showing and I notice the guy behind the counter fanning everyone with the gun in the store, then after he passes by right in front of my head I hear it go click as it is pointed just to the side of me.

Maybe he's a newbie serial killer :0

acaligunner

rplusplus
02-17-2012, 5:33 PM
you do realize that is the store ensuring the gun is empty before handing it over to a potential customer....standard protocol. It's not a sales technique.

http://cdn.epicski.com/a/a0/1000x500px-LL-a0560b4d_NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Did you see where OP said that even after clearing the weapon that the person holding said weapon then pointed it at him and pulled the trigger breaking rule #1?

keenkeen
02-17-2012, 5:40 PM
http://cdn.epicski.com/a/a0/1000x500px-LL-a0560b4d_NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Did you see where OP said that even after clearing the weapon that the person holding said weapon then pointed it at him and pulled the trigger breaking rule #1?

He's commenting on the section of the OPs post that he bolded.

Not the pointing and pulling the trigger part.

Silverlake223
02-17-2012, 5:45 PM
Where is El Dorado Hills anyway?

Coded-Dude
02-17-2012, 5:48 PM
just east of folsom off the 50.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=el+dorado+hills+ca&hl=en&safe=off&hnear=El+Dorado+Hills,+El+Dorado,+California&gl=us&t=h&z=12&iwloc=A

S.A.
02-17-2012, 6:30 PM
Well I guess for some guys going to a gun store and seeing things and hearing noises is an adventure.

rplusplus
02-17-2012, 6:32 PM
He's commenting on the section of the OPs post that he bolded.

Not the pointing and pulling the trigger part.

Ahhhhh yes.... missed that :facepalm:

My bad.

Coded-Dude
02-17-2012, 6:41 PM
I bet if we started a poll: "Have you ever been swept at a gun store" The results would be pretty predictable. Not saying that makes it okay....just that it has and will continue to happen.

lewdogg21
02-17-2012, 6:47 PM

2x. When I hand a pistol back to the sales guy I face the barrel towards myself as I know it's unloaded but they don't. I would expect the same. Opening the slide to verify it's unloaded is smart.

zum
02-17-2012, 7:00 PM
eh... this rant gets posted at least every week on the net. and if standard protocol of the employee ensuring the gun is empty when handing it to a customer is followed i don't understand the CRYING

FACT: Gun stores and its salesmen are not safety instructors and are not there to PREACH safety, they are there to SELL guns.

with that being said, as a fellow gun owner i do preach safety when i notice a family member or friend handling a gun in the wrong manner.
e.g. finger on the trigger, sweeping, not makings sure firearm is UNLOADED for themselves when handed a gun ect.

now if this happened at A RANGE! I'd have lost my mind on the SOB :D

Solid Foundation
02-17-2012, 7:05 PM
In OP's defense, I've never been swept by the guy BEHIND the counter.

There's no control over who comes in and out of the shop but you have to at least have the people behind the counter know what the heck they're doing.

I'd leave and never come back unless I got a personal invitation back by the owner/manager guaranteeing that it'd never happen again.

Lives_In_Fresno
02-17-2012, 7:15 PM
I won't name the store since since I don't feel causing a business possible future business based on one employees actions. I contacted the store owner and informed him of what happened and why I won't go there again. Imagine if you owned a business and one of your employees did something wrong, would you like it blasted all over the place or would you rather have the incident brought up to you so you could fix it.

I guess I should have put in the title "Just want to vent". Oh well lesson learned.

Your post was useless....

Joe
02-17-2012, 7:21 PM

Pretty much.

Don't bother posting next time OP

nick007g
02-17-2012, 8:10 PM
I've seen this when the store has the manufacturer reps over for a mass gun show/sale. I seen this when Reeds was in San Jose and they used to do the big sales with manufacture sales. Personally, I don't like it but they also employed a armed (fully sleeved which made me feel even better, as I am often judged for my tats) SJPD guy to stand guard at the front door and they would never allow any ammo in the magazine at any time, in the store, what so ever.

I do hear you though, I NEVER want a firearm pointed at me and take it as a personal affront to my being when/if it should occur, weather lawfully or not. If you said nothing then you should expect nothing. If you mentioned your "uneasiness" about the situation I'm sure they would have said something to the offender (even if discreetly, which would be most appropriate), if not, for anything but to butter you up for a sale then laughed at you after your purchase.

It is not right but certain places (like Reeds) who are known for not "messing around" I feel a bit more comfortable with the occasional "lapse of judgment" if you will. In the end it up to you, vote with your dollars but don't make a beef if you haven't spoke to the owners/operators about your concerns. You can scream after-the-fact but it would be best to quietly put your wallet back in your pocket and take your business elsewhere. I have been offended by some retailers that I have bought from in the past and I will just smile and thank them for their time; knowing I'm going to take my hundreds to their competitors why they chase only the "thousands customer".

This dose not sound like one of those situations. Make them aware of their "oversight" and they will make it right. Same as range "misconduct", I even offer up (in the most friendly and helpful manner) "constructive criticism" for newbies/bumblers because we need them to further our cause and embarrassing and scolding them purely for "humiliation" is just not right. Most issues are lack of training and oversight, not a blatant disregard for the rules or authority. Just keep that in mind and you'll make the right call!

nick007g
02-17-2012, 8:16 PM
I don't think I would have ever been able to buy a gun if I refused to shop at every FFL where I saw unsafe handling. +1 wise man..lol.

nick007g
02-17-2012, 8:19 PM
Besides, if you are buying a long-gun/shot-gun swing and target acquisition is very important IMO. Just saying.

nick007g
02-17-2012, 8:25 PM
I saw a new young sale's man, showing off his pistol, droping out the magazine which was loaded. is this a problem? at lease, it is not necessary, maybe unsafe. imho, a loaded gun, if allowed is for safety reason only. there is no point to show it off to a customer. I wouldn't name the store.

there are stupid people, so stupid gun laws for them.
/////I call BS on this! This is an entirely different ballgame and you should have made an immediate comment (loudly mind you) and fled ASAP! Loaded weapons not double-checked by associate and buyer would make me feel very uneasy. I would definitely leave if this was the case! No purchase is worth this ammount of indiscretion; period.!

zum
02-17-2012, 8:31 PM
/////I call BS on this! This is an entirely different ballgame and you should have made an immediate comment (loudly mind you) and fled ASAP! Loaded weapons not double-checked by associate and buyer would make me feel very uneasy. I would definitely leave if this was the case! No purchase is worth this amount of indiscretion; period.!

nope ive experienced this first hand by a older salesman mind you.

i was in the market for a LC9 and was mentioning to the salesmen that i wished to get the LCP but it was LE only.

Just so happens said salesman was packing a LCP and i asked to handle it and compare it to the LC9 and he did after dropping his loaded mag and clearing the chamber

i of course checked the chamber again and proceeded to size the two up.

so i don't find this hard to believe

nick007g
02-17-2012, 8:39 PM
I also find it hard to believe that a dealer would "dry-fire" even if they can! They convince many that "snap-caps" are necessary to keep things "kosher" if you will. Snap-caps are a up-sell and as a salesman myself I would never "give-away" what I could make money on ;) Just keeping it real! Sounds sleazy but I'm just keeping it real. Oh and I'm done I said my piece. Nothing further from me. Thanks for reading/looking/considering. I'm out~ 007 gone!

Gnome
02-17-2012, 9:59 PM
I was recently at a store and they had guns... I felt uncomfortable, so I called the owner.

I'm not naming the store.
Lol...

http://www.digdang.com/media/images/run_for_your_life_5111.jpg

Run to the Hills... Run for... Your... Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee!
I don't get it..?

That's what I was thinking...

Well I guess for some guys going to a gun store and seeing things and hearing noises is an adventure.
Lol.

I bet if we started a poll: "Have you ever been swept at a gun store" The results would be pretty predictable. Not saying that makes it okay....just that it has and will continue to happen.
Do it, do it, do it...

Pretty much.

Ouch...

JB-Norcal
02-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Got mad and left? "not getting my business"? Cmon guy, speak up, "HEY, don't do that". Make it a teachable moment, it can be light or harsh, adjust as needed. Don't just go home.

BassNut
02-17-2012, 11:39 PM
That gun store wasn't in Penryn was it?

Tarn_Helm
02-18-2012, 8:35 AM
Pretty much.

+1

I have very "thick skin."

But the action the OP is talking about describes someone pointing a gun at his head and apparently dry firing it.

I would have instinctively grabbed the gun out of his hand and probably raised my voice very loudly and complained very loudly using very off color language.

At the indoor range where I shoot, if the manager sees someone at the front counter sweep the room, he grabs the dude's gun and makes lock it up--then he kicks the guy out with a sharply worded warning of a possible permanent ban and forfeiture of membership.

When it comes to firearms, it is not your actions that save you and make you safe, it is your habits.

If you routinely sweep a people-filled room with the muzzle of your "empty" gun, you are developing habits that will ultimately lead to unintended injury and/or death.

MESSAGE TO OP:

Consider writing an anonymous letter addressed to "The Owner" of the store in question explaining what you saw.

Explain to him that if you ever see that kind of thing happen there again, you will notify the Better Business Bureau and CA DoJ Division of Firearms--and that you will post the story all over the internet.

If you don't, then your silence is complicity in any "accident" that happens there in the future under similar circumstances to the ones you have described.

Speak up.

The actions you saw in that store are unsafe and insane.

Do the right thing.

Don't just play games like a teenager here.

Riflewizard
02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
gun stores are full of morons. what do you expect?

chim-chim7
02-18-2012, 11:42 PM
This is almost as bad as the guy who was worried about the handguns in the display case pointing at him.

lil_jackal
02-19-2012, 12:59 AM
This is almost as bad as the guy who was worried about the handguns in the display case pointing at him.

no way there was someone complaining about that , what next ? pictures of guns pointed at them makes them feel scared inside ? :facepalm: this world ...

chim-chim7
02-19-2012, 1:21 AM
no way there was someone complaining about that , what next ? pictures of guns pointed at them makes them feel scared inside ? :facepalm: this world ...

I kid you not. He went as far as taking photos of the handguns in the case at his local shop to prove his point. His whole argument was Rule #1. Well and the fact that all guns are always loaded.

lil_jackal
02-19-2012, 1:27 AM
I kid you not. He went as far as taking photos of the handguns in the case at his local shop to prove his point. His whole argument was Rule #1.

:rofl2: oh man you made me spit water all over my screen but damn that was funny ,ahhh made my night , im going to sleep good tonight ! is there link somewhere ? i would love to read this :43:

johnthomas
02-19-2012, 2:06 AM
I would have raised my voice and told him not to point guns at customers. I go to big5 once in a while, when I see it, I tell the person with the gun not to point the gun at people. It is a stupid, dangerous practice and needs to be addressed.