PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to get shot by a single round...

POLICESTATE
02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Circumstances notwithstanding.

If you were going to take one round in center mass from any of these rounds, which one would you choose? Secondly, between the two remaining rounds which would you choose? Assuming the goal is survivability.

Basically 1st choice, 2nd choice, last choice. The first option would be out of the three you'd take the 9mm, then out of the 40 or the 45 you'd take the 40. Because the first question is which out of the three is the caliber you'd rather be hit by, the second question that just naturally follows is out of the remaining two rounds which would you rather be hit by.

9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP
9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W
.40 S&W, 9mm, .45 ACP
.40 S&W, .45 ACP, 9mm
.45 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W
.45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm

Crud, I can't figure out how to fix the 45 APC typo in the poll lists. Flame away!

POLICESTATE
02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Having problems making into a poll...

E Pluribus Unum
02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Having problems making into a poll...

Edit the first post and at the bottom there will be options to make it a poll.

POLICESTATE
02-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Edit the first post and at the bottom there will be options to make it a poll.

that's what I thought, turned out it was a thread option at the top, maybe it changed recently? Anyway, it's fixed now!

Mac7504
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Where's the BB gun, paint ball option, and pellet options...lol.

Rather not.:p

meaty-btz
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE.

I've been shot, it isn't fun. All the listed calibers can kill in one shot to center of mass. All can be survived. It is a matter of luck and speed of medical attention.

Mostly luck decides if you end up on a silver slab or in a surgery ward.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 12:13 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE.

I've been shot, it isn't fun.

Ditto! and details (if you care to share Meaty)?

duggan
02-17-2012, 12:15 PM
None of those.
My prefernces in order would be.
1) Nerf dart
2) Airsoft BB
3) Spitwad (this is last because I am a bit of a germaphobe and someone spitting on me is grounds for an A__whoopin)

tbc
02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE.

I've been shot, it isn't fun. All the listed calibers can kill in one shot to center of mass. All can be survived. It is a matter of luck and speed of medical attention.

Argument is over. Let's move on. :)

IrishPirate
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm gonna vote 9mm, .40, .45.......only because i wont to be the first and only one to take the poll serious.

in reality, I'd rather not get shot at all....with ANY caliber

R1K
02-17-2012, 12:23 PM
none.

what is a 45aPc? did you mean .45aCp?

Regardless, if there is a 45apc, i still don't want to get shot.

But if the poll were to ask, if I were to be executed with the following rounds then I would like to have a quick trip to heaven and take a 45acp - in the head. point blank.

ILVSMOG
02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
None of those.
My prefernces in order would be.
1) Nerf dart
2) Airsoft BB
3) Spitwad (this is last because I am a bit of a germaphobe and someone spitting on me is grounds for an A__whoopin)

I hate to disagree, but: despite it's lower velocity, the Nerf dart has much more mass and can do more damage than the airsoft BB. The airsoft fanboys will all cry "but ours goes so much faster!" and I know that on paper it may seem a better option from a home defense standpoint, especially when you consider the lower recoil. However, I stand behind the Nerf dart and it's greater mass, combined with much longer service record, as a more lethal round than the airsoft bb.

:facepalm:

POLICESTATE
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I disagree, nerf darts suffer to a much greater degree on air resistance than airsoft bb's. Sure if you're shooting at a distance of 2 inches the nerf dart is going to be the more effective round, but at 20 feet, the airsoft bb will hit the target and sting a little, the nerf dart will just bounce off with a soft "plop" sound IF it hits its target. :rolleyes:

I hate to disagree, but: despite it's lower velocity, the Nerf dart has much more mass and can do more damage than the airsoft BB. The airsoft fanboys will all cry "but ours goes so much faster!" and I know that on paper it may seem a better option from a home defense standpoint, especially when you consider the lower recoil. However, I stand behind the Nerf dart and it's greater mass, combined with much longer service record, as a more lethal round than the airsoft bb.

:facepalm:

meaty-btz
02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Ditto! and details (if you care to share Meaty)?

Not really but let's just say wrong place wrong time. I took it to the side at an angle that just punched a nice neat hole in my meat right by my spleen. An inch or so difference could have cost me my life. The bullet was never recovered, in and out. Was a 9mm or .380. No arrest, nothing as it was too dark for me to see who it was or give any description beyond: man, dark, about my height.

It hurt, a lot, and bled pretty damn good but was frankly a minor hit. There is a certain psychology about violent injury that is actually harder to deal with than the wound itself usually. A huge "does not compute" when it comes to vital fluids leaking out of a hole that should not be there.

It was, in fact, this incident changed me forever. I realized that fear had paralyzed me and left me to whatever mercy I might receive. I decided that day, twenty years ago now abouts, that I would never die without a fight. At the least I will die with my hands about the throat of my attacker. I had been in sticky situations before where I was under threat but I had always come out the other side clean and safe. Even after the guy ran off, I lay unable to move for what seemed like an hour. Not from pain, or the injury, or shock, but from fear.

I changed how I think, how I react. I hardened myself and most importantly (more than even physical training) I hardened my mind. Prior to that, I was a hobbyist shooter. I believed in a soft and safe world. I was soft and happy. I still would like a soft and happy world but I know it does not exist unless I make it for myself and others. Badguys and Bad things don't give you a ring and ask if tonight at 02:00 is good for you or if you need to have them reschedule your demise. They just happen, and when they happen it is even odds if you will make it out in one piece. We are surrounded by evil men. They walk by us every day in the street. You get ONE CHANCE usually. I got a second one. I make as good a use of it as I can. I can assure you one thing, just as with cops, that one time you don't expect it is when it happens. We are as at risk every day as the cop on his patrol. We don't have body armor or qualified immunity or even often a side-arm. That is why on occasion I have gone on a rant that got me temp-banned at a forumite who was not "psychologically in the game". I take this very seriously.

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Not really but let's just say wrong place wrong time. ...
I changed how I think, how I react. I hardened myself and most importantly (more than even physical training) I hardened my mind. Prior to that, I was a hobbyist shooter. I believed in a soft and safe world. I was soft and happy. I still would like a soft and happy world but I know it does not exist unless I make it for myself and others.

Wow... Thanks for sharing and glad you survived.

I think that last part really summarizes how some people (especially those that cry for disarmament) feel about the world.

02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
If you were going to get shot by a single round...

If you were going to take one round in center mass from any of these rounds, which one would you choose?

Poll fail.

You don't have an option for a single/one round.

meaty-btz
02-17-2012, 12:54 PM

I think that last part really summarizes how some people (especially those that cry for disarmament) feel about the world.

You know I really understand why they want that world. Who wouldn't? Wouldn't you? It is a fantasy though, a fantasy world no less fantastical and unreal that the cartoon my avatar comes from. And if you live your life like it is real it can cost you and your families everything.

POLICESTATE
02-17-2012, 1:07 PM
Poll fail.

You don't have an option for a single/one round.

In order of preference. true I suppose it's a little ambiguous but the one question just leads to the next.

The War Wagon
02-17-2012, 1:15 PM
I wanna die by the BIGGEST damn bullet on the market! I don't wanna be known at the internet tough guy, felled by a .25, unless I die in a hail of 'em, by accidentally stepping into the banquet reception at the "Crack Dealers of America" annual convention! http://www.djjeffa.com/vb/images/smilies/king3.gif

1lostinspace
02-17-2012, 1:18 PM
I don't get the point of this thread. With Modern JHP it's all the same for the most part.
I prefer snail oil ammo RBCD doing over 2000FPS! the temporary and permanent cavity is huge! I don't care that it does not penetrate 18+ inches 8-10 is more then enough, it the shock wave and stretch of tissue is what puts you down!

Low-Pressure
02-17-2012, 1:21 PM
I survived the late eighties and early nineties, and I still prefer not getting shot. :D

vintagearms
02-17-2012, 1:25 PM
There is a certain psychology about violent injury that is actually harder to deal with than the wound itself usually. A huge "does not compute" when it comes to vital fluids leaking out of a hole that should not be there.

It was, in fact, this incident changed me forever.

That is why on occasion I have gone on a rant that got me temp-banned at a forumite who was not "psychologically in the game". I take this very seriously.

YUP. I have both taken a life and taken a round. It does change you....forever. That is why I rant about those who want to CCW but have no clue what it requires of you; both from a physical and more importantly psychological standpoint. I do believe that just because you can carry a firearm, doesn't necessarily mean you should....

Mana4real
02-17-2012, 1:40 PM

I agree..

You know I really understand why they want that world. Who wouldn't? Wouldn't you? It is a fantasy though, a fantasy world no less fantastical and unreal that the cartoon my avatar comes from. And if you live your life like it is real it can cost you and your families everything.

I would want there to be a friendly world. But unfortunitly, it's not. I live in more of a fluff area, but where I work is somewhere different, it's not somewhere I'd allow my wife to walk around night or day. I just wish people would stop with all the damn aggression and wiener measuring. It gets old.

meaty-btz
02-17-2012, 1:46 PM
YUP. I have both taken a life and taken a round. It does change you....forever. That is why I rant about those who want to CCW but have no clue what it requires of you; both from a physical and more importantly psychological standpoint. I do believe that just because you can carry a firearm, doesn't necessarily mean you should....

May I ask a personal question?
Did your GSW hurt for a while, even after it was healed? Mine did, just, now and then. A sharp stabbing sorta pain like it was reminding me. Maybe it was psychological. I just wonder.

Hasn't hurt for years now but there was a time where it would come back like a memory.

hyperion.excal
02-17-2012, 1:55 PM
Seems like everybody wants to get shot by the weakest caliber first :D

shooterdude
02-17-2012, 1:57 PM
Oh, its another caliber debate thread that will end with no decisive argument that 9mm, .40 and .45 can't all do the same damage....

skyscraper
02-17-2012, 1:59 PM
It's a cleverly (not really) disguised caliber war. Yay!

skyscraper
02-17-2012, 1:59 PM
It's a cleverly (not really) disguised caliber war. Yay!

PandaLuv
02-17-2012, 2:02 PM
50AE :cool2: go big or go home.

but uh, I'd rather not get hit by any of them.

winnre
02-17-2012, 2:02 PM
Wow look at how the poll results are skewed! Sure tell you what to buy now doesn't it!

Quickdraw Mcgraw
02-17-2012, 2:12 PM
Did your GSW hurt for a while, even after it was healed? Mine did, just, now and then. A sharp stabbing sorta pain like it was reminding me. Maybe it was psychological. I just wonder.

Hasn't hurt for years now but there was a time where it would come back like a memory.

:oji:Mine felt similer...kinda like you said little stabbings mostly in the thick muscle areas...still can get it to feel like that if I flex hard enough with one thigh...two years since I took my 9mm medicine:chris:

LoadedM333
02-17-2012, 2:15 PM
I just don't want to be shot with anything.

Hopalong
02-17-2012, 2:18 PM
Not biting. It depends...

I'd rather have a flesh wound from a .45 than a 9mm between the eyes.

YMMV:D

stix213
02-17-2012, 2:24 PM
Depends on if I deserved to be shot or not

Gnome
02-17-2012, 2:25 PM
Really?

Common sense says none of the above. Wow, just wow. :facepalm:

Curtis
02-17-2012, 2:31 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE.

I agree. I too have been shot. I only lived because I was so close to GREAT medical treatment.

For the record: I was hit in the neck by a .45. I think it was a ricochet. The 4 family members with me at the time think it was a direct shot (not a ricochet). The full story (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=178133)

Biigg50
02-17-2012, 2:41 PM
500 S&W just to put me out of the misery faster!

SFgiants105
02-17-2012, 2:44 PM
None, but if I have to it had better be fmj

hyperion.excal
02-17-2012, 2:47 PM
500 S&W just to put me out of the misery faster!
:rofl:

Reminds me when i went to a mini-match in SD. This border patrol was in and he was using a S&W snub nose in 500S&W believe me when i tell you. You dont have to get hit by it to be put out of your misery. The thing is a frickin hand cannon. Miss or hit you will go down and probably be out.

Fadedline
02-17-2012, 2:47 PM
How about none of the above?:rolleyes:

meaty-btz
02-17-2012, 2:48 PM
Wow, Curtis. I am glad you are alive. That was a very close call by the story.

I don't think it was a direct shot, 45 acp tends to skid on bone or shatter it at close range direct shots. As a ricochet that is one hell of one.

I hope they can remove the bullet some day. Never good to have something pressing on the spine like that.

gatesbox
02-17-2012, 2:53 PM
This poll does not make any sense, what single round, then you list three calibers, and duplicate them in different orders WTF?

I'd want to be shot once by James Bond holding a .32 PPK, and hopefully he's got the shakes because it has been 5 minutes since his last vodka martini...

Ub3rDorK
02-17-2012, 2:54 PM
WTF is a .45 APC?

Shellshocker66
02-17-2012, 3:02 PM
I'm just wondering if .22lr had been offered how many would choose it first?

DannyInSoCal
02-17-2012, 3:04 PM
My III rated vest is "supposed" to stop any of those weak rounds -

What would you rather I return fire with -

My .50GI or .30 Carbine sidearm...?

DannyInSoCal
02-17-2012, 3:05 PM
WTF is a .45 APC?

The preferred ammo of choice by the late great TuPac -

Who ironically died in a hail of .38 special gunfire...

meaty-btz
02-17-2012, 3:11 PM
I'm just wondering if .22lr had been offered how many would choose it first?

Wouldn't want that one either.

NeenachGuy
02-17-2012, 3:36 PM
Of all these, I'd rather be shot by a .45 APC, mainly because it doesn't exist.

POLICESTATE
02-17-2012, 3:58 PM
In order of preference. Single shot. If you chose 9mm then if it wasn't for the 9mm which would you prefer, the 40 or the 45?

9mm > 40 > 45 would mean out of all 3 you'd choose the 9, and then between the 40 and 45 you'd take the 40. So 45 is the round you would least want to be shot with.

I know I did a crappy way of explaining it up front, I just spent some time working on clearing things up.

Lead Waster
02-17-2012, 4:05 PM
My options for getting hit in the chest ...

1) Ping pong ball from a hooker in Bangkok, during a show
2) feather pillow wielded by Jessica Alba in black lingerie
3) Cupid

Charles4400
02-17-2012, 4:06 PM
Shot by a round?

I'd rather have a round of shots! :whistling:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/jdsmarketing_2196_123996685

Lead Waster
02-17-2012, 4:06 PM
Of all these, I'd rather be shot by a .45 APC, mainly because it doesn't exist.

How about a 1945 Armored Personnel Carrier? Ouch, that would hurt!

ParanoidCivilian
02-17-2012, 4:07 PM
12 gauge slug.

NeenachGuy
02-17-2012, 4:09 PM
never mind.

tbc
02-17-2012, 4:10 PM
My options for getting hit in the chest ...

1) Ping pong ball from a hooker in Bangkok, during a show
2) feather pillow wielded by Jessica Alba in black lingerie
3) Cupid

I pick your #2 first. :D

Lead Waster
02-17-2012, 4:11 PM
I pick your #2 first. :D

LOL, on second thought, so would I!

HPGunner
02-17-2012, 4:37 PM
It's likely bad news for all of the above so might as well go out quickly
I'm going to go with something with a little bit both size and speed: 454 Casull

Bert Gamble
02-17-2012, 5:09 PM
Where is the which way would you rather get AIDS poll? So many interesting choices, and none as deadly as getting shot by anything you lsted.

Mossy Man
02-17-2012, 5:22 PM
i'll take a shot from an M256 smoothbore gun right to center mass.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/120mm_M829A2_APFSDS-T.jpg/800px-120mm_M829A2_APFSDS-T.jpg

Pretty much guaranteed death.

vintagearms
02-17-2012, 5:42 PM

PM sent.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
02-17-2012, 6:31 PM
none of the above :no:

Indiscriminate Killer
02-17-2012, 7:37 PM
none of the above... airsoft.

fanof1911forlife
02-17-2012, 8:37 PM
I'd rather have a shot of whiskey and try to forget how stupid this poll really is. Who in their right mind would want to be shot to see if they can withstand the caliber of their choice.

CAdude
02-17-2012, 9:11 PM
Ouch! Man I wouldn't want to be shot with a .22 let alone any of the rounds in the poll.

Press Check
02-17-2012, 9:47 PM
This thread makes not a single lick of sense.

E Pluribus Unum
02-18-2012, 9:24 AM
This thread makes not a single lick of sense.

No doubt... it's like saying:

Would you rather be raped by a:

A) Squirrel

B) Rabbit

C) Dog

D) Horse

SixtyDashOne
02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
This is like asking if you'd rather be punched in the face by Mike Tyson or kicked in the nuts by Bruce Lee.

"None of the above!"

Huge Grant
02-18-2012, 1:25 PM
I just have to say this is the stupidest post I've ever seen on any message board since I've been on the internet, 1996.

Mana4real
02-18-2012, 1:42 PM
I agree. I too have been shot. I only lived because I was so close to GREAT medical treatment.

For the record: I was hit in the neck by a .45. I think it was a ricochet. The 4 family members with me at the time think it was a direct shot (not a ricochet). The full story (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=178133)

Wow!! I just read that. Life is a gift.

motorwerks
02-18-2012, 2:12 PM
worst poll ever.....

Saber2Golf
02-18-2012, 4:59 PM
NOT ANSWERING the poll.

But, if they're all modern expanding ammunition and they all would hit you in the "x ring", they'd all kill you. If you were shot on the operating table in the ER surrounded by heart surgeons, there's still no guarantee they could fix what it did to you.

Lets be honest though, this is a thinly disguised caliber war thread, which will end with people being on the same side of the fence when it started, and everyone else (the reasonable people) stating this: assuming the same bullet type across the caliber range A) a more powerful cartridge will do more damage than a weaker one; and B) more bullets will do more damage than fewer bullets.

There may be a sweet spot in which the terminal performance and mag capacity reach equilibrium I guess. But "firearms I'll get shot by" is a list that starts with a one shot Derringer in .22 BB cap, and ends with a sub machine gun chambered in .700WTF with a 200rd drum and a forklift to carry it :rolleyes:

Curtis
02-20-2012, 5:24 AM
Wow, Curtis. I am glad you are alive. That was a very close call by the story.

I don't think it was a direct shot, 45 acp tends to skid on bone or shatter it at close range direct shots. As a ricochet that is one hell of one.

I hope they can remove the bullet some day. Never good to have something pressing on the spine like that.

The entry point was right at my jaw line; the bullet would have been moving in an upward direction. I will leave the bullet in. Too many bad potential side effects of removing it. If I stretch my neck too much (and it "cracks") my hand goes numb. I try to avoid that.

Wow!! I just read that. Life is a gift.

That it is! The 5 year mark just past. It is gut wrenching to think how close my boys came to not having a dad. I hug them and tell them I love them as much possible.

POLICESTATE
02-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Well the poll more or less came out how I expected it would: most people would rather be shot by a 9mm (81%) than the other 2 calibers. Most of those would prefer to get hit by a 40 rather than a 45.

So the strongest preference is to get hit by the smallest bullet possible.

And then there are the folks on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm assuming those are the want the quickest death possible crowd. A fair showing to be sure. 14.5% want the biggest bullet possible.

Was the poll stupid? Yes, and no. It was worth doing just for the hell of it, but it was also because I said I would in this other thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=536800

Yes it is a thinly disguised caliber war thread. Not even sure it's thinly disguised, it's sort of obvious :P

a1c
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I know of many recent cases involving shooting deaths. Ammo used ranged from .22LR to .308.

So I'd rather not get shot at all. I'll take a .308 in the leg over a .22LR in the heart, thank you very much.

only10x
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
poll sucks but glad I got to read "meaty-btz" experience.
glad you made it out