PDA

View Full Version : % of AR-15 Owners (or other rifle) that bought for defensive purposes

Stan08
02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Wanted to take a scientific poll of the percentages of AR-15 or other semi-auto rifle type owners that bought their rifle with some type of defensive use in mind.

Not strictly home defense, but could be for emergency management, natural or man-made disaster. To protect you and yours inside or outside the home.

*If you own two or more ARs but find yourself shooting off the bench, with unlimited time at bullseye-type targets pick #2.

**If you train more like the real world with your go-to AR (shooting schools, humanoid targets, controlled pairs, & hammer pairs) but keep an accurized AR then pick #1.

National poll @ AR15.com: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/563775___of_AR_owners_that_bought_for_defensive_pu rposes.html&page=2

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I wish I could answer more than one.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Me!
But never with an AR!
Ak74's
Glock27

Fj40Mumbles
02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I did

Stan08
02-17-2012, 10:35 AM

This is a GOP poll, only one choice :)

jgraham15
02-17-2012, 10:36 AM

Me too! I do have a few AR's that were set up purely from a defensive and training stand point but I also have a few that are set up just for shooting prone or off a bench at the range to shoot little tiny groups.

gotshotgun?
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I love science!

Stan08
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Me too! I do have a few AR's that were set up purely from a defensive and training stand point but I also have a few that are set up just for shooting prone or off a bench at the range to shoot little tiny groups.

If you find yourself practicing more off the bench but you still have your go-to rifle in the safe then #2 is good for you.

If you find yourself in the urban prone but still have your Noveske SPR in the safe pick #1

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 10:45 AM
This is a GOP poll, only one choice :)
:yes:

Ditto. I bought my first AR to have an AR, so I guess thatís collectibility/safe queen, but I use it so not really safe queen.
I can hunt with it, although that wasnít really my intention so I guess thatís out.
For me, any gun = SD so I canít rule that out.
For me, any gun I have usually only gets used during target practice, but I am not a target shooter by any means...
Itís nice to have my AR in case the world decided to crumble, and I do have an ample supply of 5.56...
And thatís just considering my first AR. :p

I know I am over thinking it but I donít fit just one category.

jgraham15
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
If you find yourself practicing more off the bench but you still have your go-to rifle in the safe then #2 is good for you.

If you find yourself in the urban prone but still have your Noveske SPR in the safe pick #1

I guess that makes sense. I went with #1.

stix213
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Recreation 1st
2nd, while it wouldn't be my go-to rifle for defense, it would be available for friends/relatives for that purpose, or if there were some sudden problem with my preferred rifle.

cfusionpm
02-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Strictly recreation. If I need something more powerful than a 9mm with many rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, then odds are I'm going to be overwhelmed anyway. Plus I live in a condo in white suburbia, a stray bullet could easily pass through walls and hit neighbors.

romeo26
02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I pick the second choice. I don't live in a area were it would be used defensively a lot. If I picked 1 there would be a lot of dust on the rifle.

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Im still actually building my AR, but I would have to choose either my 12 guage or .40 cal pistol for defense over my soon to be complete 7.62x39 AR. My idea of "defense" would be hearing an intruder during the night.

bce27
02-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Situation Dictates! At the range or in the desert it's recreation, If I'm being chased, defense. If I'm doing the chasing, I think you get the point. Great Platform!

Stan08
02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Im still actually building my AR, but I would have to choose either my 12 guage or .40 cal pistol for defense over my soon to be complete 7.62x39 AR. My idea of "defense" would be hearing an intruder during the night.

Don't think in terms which preference for defense, but did you buy the rifle with either a primary or secondary purpose of defensive use if it ever came down to it.

duggan
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I chose hunting, not every animal that needs to be put down has four legs.

Tyson
02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Well considering my AR is yet to be completed, when the time comes it would be a secondary defensive weapon. I am more worried about over penetration in the house with the AR. The pistol is within easy reach of my bedside and I would think adequate for encounters <3yrds.

kotton
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
personal defense goes to my 1911, but the AR is a nice backup to it. I consider it for rec use first though.

ThemBastards
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Don't think in terms which preference for defense, but did you buy the rifle with either a primary or secondary purpose of defensive use if it ever came down to it.

In that case I'm building it strictly for desert plinking.

But if I were in a scenario where zombie hoardes or "Ze Russians" were going to be attacking then yes I would choose my AR for defense.

SpunkyJivl
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Cant beat a 12 gau for static defense. My AR is my plinker / SHTF go-to.

zombiescanlearn
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
It would be my go to gun if things went bad, but I have to get my wife to learn how to lay down cover fire so I can get it out of the safe... she's not buying that explanation so far :D

bombadillo
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
My Target guns are smallbore such as a .17hmr, or .22lr and my ar I use for defensive or other situations. I take it out frequently to use at the range to get trigger time, but it is ultimately for SD.

LoadedM333
02-17-2012, 1:04 PM
Secondary for me.

SoCalSig1911
02-17-2012, 2:41 PM
I use my .45 with hydrashocks for home protection, The AR would take out my neighbors and that's just not cool! LOL

chicoredneck
02-17-2012, 2:57 PM
I own my ARs for hunting primarily, but any working firearms, regardless of model, most important role is as a defensive tool.

GettoPhilosopher
02-17-2012, 3:53 PM
It's a bit of both 1 and 2 for me. I primarily plink, as let's face it....I'm a suburban law clerk, not a 1337 operator. ;) That being said, I won't build a rifle that can't be used for defense. I don't build impractical/bench only/super heavy/fragile/etc rifles. All of my rifles could be used in a HD situation or a neighborhood defense/riot type of situation.

I also always have at least one featureless rifle. The rest have bullet buttons (but hey, let's be honest...if I ever find myself needing a SDM-R for neighborhood defense, I'm F**ked enough that I doubt getting rid of my bullet button would be what does me in :P).

I also try to keep a moderate amount of ammo on hand (200rds per caliber, give or take). To me, those seem like reasonable precautions. I don't let myself run out, I don't rely solely on BB'ed rifles, but I don't stock up body armor and 10K rds per caliber along with 6 months food either. ;)

stix213
02-17-2012, 4:41 PM
In that case I'm building it strictly for desert plinking.

But if I were in a scenario where zombie hoardes or "Ze Russians" were going to be attacking then yes I would choose my AR for defense.

Yes I think all of us will start forgetting about any recreational uses when faced with real zombies :D :p

icenix
02-17-2012, 4:48 PM
You should add the following option:

Defense as an excuse to the wife to purchase an AR because I wanted one

ErikTheRed
02-17-2012, 4:50 PM
I built an AR for a host of reasons, but the main motivation was to get one before the liberal democrat progressive un-American anti-gun zealots make it impossible. And I plan to buy another lower before the end of 2012 for the same reason, because if Obama wins another term, theres gonna be a frenzy...... and a much stronger likelihood that a "SHTF" scenario becomes a reality.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 6:23 PM
@erikthered
Knock on wood

Old Flash
02-18-2012, 4:32 AM
My excuse for building my first AR is primarily to shoot DCM matches. In an emergency, I'm counting on it for defensive purposes so I voted for 2.
Although in a SHTF scenario, I'm also counting on my 1911, ak, sks, baseball bat, machete, dogs, etc.

TNP'R
02-18-2012, 4:40 AM
Every gun I have I bought for defensive purposes. Some are not my first choice for defending myself but none are pure plinkers.

HonkingAntelope
02-18-2012, 7:50 AM
The poll is a bit biased, but eh...

As much as I love my featureless AR, my XD .45, Mossberg 500, and 9mm Baby Eagle are far better candidates for SHTF type situation. OTOH, if the situation calls for some long-distance heavy-metal injections, that's a different story.

GettoPhilosopher
02-18-2012, 2:08 PM
The poll is a bit biased, but eh...

As much as I love my featureless AR, my XD .45, Mossberg 500, and 9mm Baby Eagle are far better candidates for SHTF type situation. OTOH, if the situation calls for some long-distance heavy-metal injections, that's a different story.

What kind of shtf are you talking about? My condo complex is big enough any problems outside would require a rifle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

RONIN.
02-18-2012, 2:12 PM
forgot a option on the poll.. TRAINING RIG.. as I have my work issued weapon, yet my personal ar's are for training..

as for defense, well pitbull and if they get threw the pit, 45acp with handle the rest

ronin.

bombadillo
02-18-2012, 3:14 PM
What kind of shtf are you talking about? My condo complex is big enough any problems outside would require a rifle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

How far do you think 00 buck travels

Saber2Golf
02-18-2012, 4:04 PM
Answered defensive, but that's my 9mm AR so enjoy your skewed results ;)

GettoPhilosopher
02-18-2012, 5:08 PM
How far do you think 00 buck travels

It's not about how far it travels, it's about how far it spreads. If I had to defend myself outside my front door, the ranges are (according to Gmaps) 50-200 yards, depending on where I am and where the BG(s) are. I've shot buckshot out of my shotgun (19" Saiga 12, cylinder bore) at 100y and the spread is large enough that while I could hit someone that far, I'd have stray pellets going into my neighbors' garages/patios/walls.

I don't know about you guys, but that seems massively irresponsible to me. I'll stick with a rifle outdoors.

(Not that I think I'll ever have to walk out my front door with a weapon)

Stan08
02-18-2012, 5:09 PM
forgot a option on the poll.. TRAINING RIG.. as I have my work issued weapon, yet my personal ar's are for training..

as for defense, well pitbull and if they get threw the pit, 45acp with handle the rest

ronin.

This would either be defense secondary to target and recreation or strictly recreation.

jm13690
02-18-2012, 5:11 PM
All my ARs are focused on Hunting and Target, home defense wise I have other options.

Massan
02-18-2012, 7:29 PM
Whats this "defense" you speak of? My rifle is purely for "offense" :43:

bloodhawke83
02-18-2012, 7:34 PM
Bit of everything for me.

Dhena81
02-18-2012, 7:39 PM
There's no defense and training equally since I bought it for defense but I've only used it for recreation and training.

Mossy Man
02-18-2012, 7:51 PM
No ar (yet) but my mini 14 is used for target/plinking and in the event of a shtf situation, I would use for riot control.

So #2.

SIGSHOOTR
02-18-2012, 7:56 PM
Mine are for training-- for keeping the skillz up and for sh*ts 'n giggles. And for last resort- LA riot/natural disaster anarchy protection (though VERY doubtful and unlikely the ARs would leave their cases, it's nice to know they are there). But I do take tactical training classes regularly-- so I guess I'm a #1 and #2. My P226 is my primary home/self defense tool.

Gio
02-18-2012, 8:07 PM
Very similar to sigshootr but I have my trusty Glock 19 Gen4 :)

bearstatearmory.com
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
As many have said, I think it would be much faster to grab a pistol first and if you use up all of that ammo (highly unlikely ;) ) then grab the AR for defensive purposes.

Agent 0range
02-19-2012, 7:55 AM
You should add the following option:

Defense as an excuse to the wife to purchase an AR because I wanted one

I built an AR for a host of reasons, but the main motivation was to get one before the liberal democrat progressive un-American anti-gun zealots make it impossible. And I plan to buy another lower before the end of 2012 for the same reason, because if Obama wins another term, theres gonna be a frenzy...... and a much stronger likelihood that a "SHTF" scenario becomes a reality.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've always wanted an AR, so I had to use the HD and "if Obama gets re-elected with a Dem. majority, we may be facing another ban" excuses to justify to the wife why I needed to get one now. I too plan on buying another lower before year end. All my guns (except the 10/22) were bought with HD in mind, but luckily have only been used at the range or in the desert for target shooting/plinking so far. I have my .40 handgun vaulted bedside and 12 ga. hanging in the closet as primary and secondary defense respectively. AR would be my SHTF weapon of choice.

hornswaggled
02-19-2012, 9:42 AM
H&K 9mm for home defense. My ARs are for when I want to play soldier with my buddies. And maybe the impending zombie apocalypse.

Irish Gunner
02-19-2012, 9:52 AM
For now I see defensive situation as close quarters and handgun is preferred. Mine is a 9mm until I get my M&P45. I am building an AR that I would consider secondary or SHTF riot time defensive gun where distances >25 yards would be needed.

The War Wagon
02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I have a wife & 4 small children, 3 of whom have Autism. ALL my firearms are for our self-defense.

"Recreation" is my training to USE them for self-defense.

Code7inOaktown
02-19-2012, 8:30 PM
I use my .45 with hydrashocks for home protection, The AR would take out my neighbors and that's just not cool! LOL

FYI. 5.56 actually has less ability to penetrate most walls than common handgun rounds 9mm/45/40 and 12-gauge rounds.