PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in Red dot without bench rest?

pacifico23
02-17-2012, 9:05 AM
Finally get to go back to the range! I stocked up on Angeles ok ammo and was going to head there today. I sold my bench rest like in August...why I dont know. I used to use that to help me sight in my optics. But seeing as I dont have one now, is it still easy to zero without it? I could imagine it being pretty hard to zero to point of impact with using a rest.. Any tips?:oji:

zfields
02-17-2012, 9:16 AM
Sand bags.....

crazychinaman
02-17-2012, 9:18 AM
Use your ammo can and a towel or blanket,even a rifle bag.

The Virus
02-17-2012, 9:19 AM
prone.

ir0nclash86
02-17-2012, 9:24 AM
head to home depot and pick up some empty sand bags or pre filled sandbags I would go with the empty sand bags and just fill it up with dirt if you have the chance. The ones at Home Depot have like powder sand in it or something and it will make a mess in your car. If you own a truck don't worry about it. Angeles also has a rifle rest for rent for a few bucks. It just supports the front of the rifle only.

Uxi
02-17-2012, 9:53 AM
prone.

Werd

Nathan Krynn
02-17-2012, 9:53 AM
Do what we used to do. Dot the lolli-pop. Make sure your irons are sighted in and just put the red dot on top of your front sight post. Done.

cwin
02-17-2012, 9:55 AM
+1 for going prone.

tomd1584
02-17-2012, 9:59 AM
prone.

Seriously. You don't need a bench rest to zero an aimpoint.

pacifico23
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Seriously. You don't need a bench rest to zero an aimpoint.

Sweet. I'll try it prone. The Primary Arms red dot I had before required quite a bit of adjusting. Glad to hear its not the case for Aimpoints.

Merc1138
02-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Sweet. I'll try it prone. The Primary Arms red dot I had before required quite a bit of adjusting. Glad to hear its not the case for Aimpoints.

An aimpoint would require the same amount of adjusting as a primary arms red dot. If the point of impact is 4 moa low on a PA red dot and an aimpoint red dot, then you need to adjust it 4 moa.

If the PA red dot wasn't holding zero, that's an entirely separate issue.

tomd1584
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Shouldnt take more than 5 rounds.

NorCalK9.com
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
@tomd184
I dont think ive ever been able to do a 5shot zero in 5rounds lol I bow to the master

TwinStick
02-17-2012, 1:05 PM
@tomd184
I dont think ive ever been able to do a 5shot zero in 5rounds lol I bow to the master

I haven't either, but I'm sure it helps to have a spotter.

wikioutdoor
02-17-2012, 1:08 PM
there are some good videos on youtube about this - also if you can use an indoor range to negate wind ect.

Black Majik
02-17-2012, 1:13 PM
Be sure to rent a spotting scope from the office too to eliminate the need to walk back and forth during line breaks to see where your POI are.

nitroxdiver
02-17-2012, 1:28 PM
Sling up, prone out, get your irons zeroed to your prefered distance ie 50 yards. Mount red dot, cowitness, adjust dot so it's sitting on top of your front sight. Done. Fire, make any small minor 1 or 2 click adjustments. That's how I do it and it works for me.
Take care good luck

Nathan Krynn
02-17-2012, 1:35 PM
Sling up, prone out, get your irons zeroed to your prefered distance ie 50 yards. Mount red dot, cowitness, adjust dot so it's sitting on top of your front sight. Done. Fire, make any small minor 1 or 2 click adjustments. That's how I do it and it works for me.
Take care good luck

Yup, dotting the lolli-pop.

pacifico23
02-17-2012, 4:00 PM
Ughh mission failed. My backdrop target I got from the range was riddled with holes. I couldn't tell which was mine and what was existing. I decided to bring the small shoot n see targets and left the big ones home. Why...well sometime I just don't think.

I was able to hit 7-10 at the 200 years steel targets. I seem to be about 5"-6" hight at 200.So I have a feeling I'm close. But next time I will bring bigger targets so I don't have to worry about existing holes.

Merc1138
02-17-2012, 4:51 PM
What distance are you trying to zero it at? Even at 25 yards my vision isn't perfect but I can still see .223 holes without magnification. Plus, if the target backer already has holes in it, take the marker out of your range bag(you do carry a marker like a sharpie of some sort, right?) and just put slashes across all of the old holes so you can tell them apart.

pacifico23
02-17-2012, 5:26 PM
I was zeroing at 50 yards. I had a spotting scope and a friend, he couldnt tell what we're my holes and the exisiting. He wasn't too helpful, but then again I couldnt blame him.. I don't use a sharpie, that's a good Idea. I usually just tape up the holes. But there was just too many to do that with. Next time I'll do the sharpie idea. If only I brought at least the 6" diameter targets I couldve seen my impacts. Live and learn I guess.

Merc1138
02-17-2012, 5:48 PM
Well, if you're zeroing, you could be a foot low and hit the backer instead of the shoot-n-c.

The other thing I'd suggest doing, is start at 25 yards or something. I'm assuming since you were trying to zero at 50, that's what you want. However at 25 it's a lot easier to see what's going on at the target. Yeah, you'll still be a few inches off when you move the target back to 50, but that will be a minor adjustment in comparison.

Also consider simply taking off the upper, removing the bolt, laying it on some sandbags, and look down the barrel lining it up on the target then move the reticle to match(and double check in case you bumped the upper). That'll get you close without even firing a shot(of course I'm assuming you have an AR, or something else that will let you look through the barrel with the optic still attached).

707electrician
02-17-2012, 5:56 PM
@tomd184

Its easy. I get my zero's in 2-3 rounds.

Use some sort of rest type deal to steady the rifle
Sight down the bore
Adjust the optic to the spot you see through the center of the bore
(This gets you close)
Fire one round
Steady the rifle again, putting the dot/crosshair on the POA from the first shot
While holding the rifle steady, adjust (or have a buddy adjust) the optic till the dot/crosshair is on the POI from the first shot.
Rinse
Repeat if necessary