PDA

View Full Version : Request Ruger SR1911 feedback

wsmc27
02-17-2012, 8:28 AM
...having a hell of a time finding this with search ;)

Any of you guys own, handle/fondle, shoot, love, like, dislike the SR1911 from Ruger?

We have a few old Colt 1911's, love them dearly. Might add another 1911 this year, wondering what knowledgleable Calgunners can share about this pistol?

Thanks. :)

Chief-7700
02-17-2012, 8:36 AM
Try going here: http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

keenkeen
02-17-2012, 11:31 AM
There are not a lot in CA yet...

Big backorder situation so the CA dealers are kinda at the back of the line since they are only doing LE and SSE sales.

Some around here have them...many more will by the end of this year I am sure.

Sunday
02-17-2012, 5:10 PM
Can't beat a Colt IMO!!! If I put a Colt 1911 on the table and a Ruger 1911 on the table and I said take one, which one would you take???

david619
02-17-2012, 6:55 PM
Les Baer, haha. Colt of course.

Blackhawk556
02-18-2012, 12:51 AM
i'm just waiting for them to announce the sr1911 in 9mm. I'll be all over it :D

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility

keenkeen
02-18-2012, 6:38 AM
i'm just waiting for them to announce the sr1911 in 9mm. I'll be all over it :D

Oh Geeeeezzz,

I had not even thought about that option yet.

You are an evil man!

:43:

leman77
02-18-2012, 7:21 AM
I love Colts just like the rest of us, but their prices can break the bank. My Ruger shoots well, and was hundreds of dollars cheaper. With that being said, my Colt's will be safe queens, while my Ruger will be shot 'til it can't be shot anymore.

WWDHD?
02-18-2012, 8:25 AM
Since Ruger is so far behind on orders for the SR1911 they make now I guess it will be a long time until they consider a model like I want. A black finish Gov. with fixed sights and an ambi-safety in .45ACP.

scobun
02-18-2012, 9:57 AM
Can't beat a Colt IMO!!! If I put a Colt 1911 on the table and a Ruger 1911 on the table and I said take one, which one would you take???

The Ruger. Aside from the Colt name, they don't offer much in terms of features for the price.

Blackhawk556
02-18-2012, 10:12 AM
The Ruger. Aside from the Colt name, they don't offer much in terms of features for the price.

so you're paying a premium for the name only?

how does their fit and finish compare to other makers?

wang949
02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Here's my amateur video review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khH2t_Yqbwg&feature=channel_video_title

wang949
02-18-2012, 10:22 AM
In short, I've experienced a couple failure to feeds with JHP, no failures with ball ammo, very slight grittiness in the trigger that was fixed with some polishing and 100s of rounds.

scobun
02-18-2012, 2:32 PM
so you're paying a premium for the name only?

how does their fit and finish compare to other makers?

Yes, absolutely you are paying a premium for the name only.

I'm not a dealer trying to sell you something, I'm not an anti-Colt hater, and I'm not a mindless Colt fanboy. I own many Colts, some old, some newer, some less expensive and some costing more than I'd like to think about (see my avatar). I love guns, and I love my money. Anyone who tells you "to buy a Colt because everything else is just a clone" has no idea what they're talking about.

Colt used to be worth a premium. I have a Colt Official Police from 1931, new in box, and that thing makes my S&W Performance Center guns look rough. Pre-WWII, Colt had some simply outstanding revolvers and pistols. Fast forward to more recent times. Colt has had some SERIOUS problems with their quality control since around the year 2000, and while they have mostly cleaned them up their customer service is still ATROCIOUS. I do not and will not own a Colt made after about 1980. Yes, the series 70s are decent guns. The Colt Commercial Governments are some exquisite guns with exceptional hand-fitting and finishing, but those stopped hitting a level of high craftsmanship before most of us were born.

If you look at the features of a new production Colt 1911 and compare them to a competitor at the same price point, the Colt will always offer you less for your money. Colt uses MIM parts in all their 1911s, and more often than not they exhibit a very average level of fit and finish. -Take a Ruger SR1911 for example. You're going to have to step up to the Colt XSE to get the same features and you'll spend a few hundred bucks to do it. Colt is using their name to trade on the quality of their products from 20 plus years ago.

Webologist
02-18-2012, 4:06 PM
Here's my amateur video review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khH2t_Yqbwg&feature=channel_video_title

Nice job, thanks for the review.

Sunday
02-19-2012, 7:13 AM

forged frame and slide and lower MIM part count

Blackhawk556
02-19-2012, 8:19 AM
Yes, absolutely you are paying a premium for the name only.

I'm not a dealer trying to sell you something, I'm not an anti-Colt hater, and I'm not a mindless Colt fanboy. I own many Colts, some old, some newer, some less expensive and some costing more than I'd like to think about (see my avatar). I love guns, and I love my money. Anyone who tells you "to buy a Colt because everything else is just a clone" has no idea what they're talking about.

Colt used to be worth a premium. I have a Colt Official Police from 1931, new in box, and that thing makes my S&W Performance Center guns look rough. Pre-WWII, Colt had some simply outstanding revolvers and pistols. Fast forward to more recent times. Colt has had some SERIOUS problems with their quality control since around the year 2000, and while they have mostly cleaned them up their customer service is still ATROCIOUS. I do not and will not own a Colt made after about 1980. Yes, the series 70s are decent guns. The Colt Commercial Governments are some exquisite guns with exceptional hand-fitting and finishing, but those stopped hitting a level of high craftsmanship before most of us were born.

If you look at the features of a new production Colt 1911 and compare them to a competitor at the same price point, the Colt will always offer you less for your money. Colt uses MIM parts in all their 1911s, and more often than not they exhibit a very average level of fit and finish. -Take a Ruger SR1911 for example. You're going to have to step up to the Colt XSE to get the same features and you'll spend a few hundred bucks to do it. Colt is using their name to trade on the quality of their products from 20 plus years ago.

well that sucks.