PDA

View Full Version : single action revolvers

paramagic
02-17-2012, 7:56 AM
i'm in the market for a single action revolver and possibly joining sass in the future should it grow on me. i have narrowed down my weapon of choice to the ruger vaquero or the uberti cattleman in sub 5" barrel and 38/357. i have friends with rugers but there are also people who like uberti. does anyone have any input or experience with the uberti or has had both guns that can chime in? and how much should one of these guns lighten my wallet?

Javi
02-17-2012, 8:55 AM
I know you can get the Uberti Cattleman cheaper than the Ruger. Seen some online go for $300 something. I special ordered a Cimmaron(Uberti) 1872 Open Top but I won't be getting it until April :( so can't give you my experience with their guns. The Ruger is built like a tank so that thing can take .357 like a champ. Not sure if this is an issue with you but the Cimmaron will look and act like the original design.

Desert Dude
02-17-2012, 9:21 AM
I currently shoot a pair of Rugers in SASS competition. They are chambered in 357 but I shoot 38's. I used to shoot a pair of Cattlemens and really perfer the Rugers. You should get the Rugers for around $450.00 each.

SASS and Cowboy Action shooting is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Join SASS and enjoy Cowboy Action Shooting.

Just George
SASS 68097

paramagic
02-17-2012, 11:13 AM
You should get the Rugers for around $450.00 each.

i was quoted 650 otd for one brand new vaquero 357 4 5/8 stainless

I know you can get the Uberti Cattleman cheaper than the Ruger. Seen some online go for $300 something.

yes, cattleman's run in the 300s online and 520 otd.

i could like to get a vaquero but 650? or is deseart dudes 450 more in line?

Thomas1190
02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I have been looking into getting a single action as well. I really like the New Vaquero by Ruger. I have nothing but great reports on them, even from guys that shoot heavily in competition. They just keep on going. They do seem to be going up in price though. Im looking to get one in 45 Colt.

Quick SASS question, do you have to have 2 pistols to participate or are there certain categories where you can have one? I have looked online in the rule book and it always mentions two pistols. I cant afford two! Lol

1JimMarch
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
A used NewVaq will still be a much better gun than anything out of Italy.

You want a "New Vaquero" over a "Vaquero" - the latter stopped production in 2004, the NewVaq replaced it. The New is smaller, built on the same frame size as the Colt SAA or most of the Italians. Ruger raised the quality control levels significantly with the new design - they're some of the best guns Ruger ever made.

1JimMarch
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
A used NewVaq will still be a much better gun than anything out of Italy.

You want a "New Vaquero" over a "Vaquero" - the latter stopped production in 2004, the NewVaq replaced it. The New is smaller, built on the same frame size as the Colt SAA or most of the Italians. Ruger raised the quality control levels significantly with the new design - they're some of the best guns Ruger ever made.