View Full Version : Video: Understanding Ballistics in Home Defense

02-16-2012, 11:17 PM

02-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Very cool. Think it was a valid test?

02-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Very cool. Think it was a valid test?

I think the testing seemed fairly valid, but the birdshot part was retarded. Birdshot can't reliably stop an attacker. The momentum of each of those little pieces of shot isn't enough to reliably penetrate a person's chest cavity deep enough to hit vital organs.

The conclusion he should have taken from this test is that any round that can reliably stop an attacking human being is going to easily travel through multiple walls made of drywall, so pick your shots carefully inside a dwelling.

02-17-2012, 8:20 AM
Test is valid, but it makes several unrealistic assumptions...

Birdshot sure might be effective at "4, 5, 6 ,7, 8 feet," but not much beyond that. If you knew ahead of time your shots would all be at contact range, against an unprotected target, then birdshot might be the choice. For those of us who live in the real world shots at more like 20 feet, against a target with partial concealment, are quite a bit more likely.

The lesson to take away here is that any round that will stop a bad guy will also eat through several interior walls. Be aware of what's back there, and shot placement is key. Don't use birdshot unless you've run out of everything else!

02-17-2012, 9:40 AM
aparently their walls have no insulation

02-17-2012, 9:47 AM
aparently their walls have no insulation

Pretty much all the interior walls of the homes I lived in had no insulation. But interesting about the 223.

02-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Very nicely done. My interior walls have no insulation so I've always been concerned about ballistics in a SD situation in my home. I saw an article linked on CGN a couple of years ago about this subject, many pictures and a lot of good info, plus they also looked at 5.56mm TAP, 7.62, .40 and .357 but the video works much better when you can see the rounds passing through. Gives you a much better sense of the energy of the various projectiles.

Also makes me think about building an AR pistol and loading with the 5.56mm TAP :43: