PDA

View Full Version : Taurus M92???

Fobanginvtek
02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
So ive been looking into getting my first 9mm pistol. Have seen the taurus m92 two tone stainless for a decent price. Anyone have any pros/cons on this pistol? I tried searching the forums but couldn't really find much info on this. I read that Taurus purchased Beretta and took the 92 model and improved some parts on it. Is it any different or better than the Beretta? Will be using for target practice/home defense. Thanks !

Longbow
02-17-2012, 7:13 AM
Sacrilege!

Taurus' decision to leave the slide clear of obstructions, unlike the safety/decocker on the Beretta (the only knock on an otherwise fine pistol - but a BIG one!) actually makes the Taurus somewhat preferable to the Beretta 92.

Taurus for the win.

Cheers,
Longbow

Oldnoob
02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Only Taurus I would/can recommend to others.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/TaurusPT92AFS.jpg

Very fine pistol. The internal finish/tool marks is not as refine as Beretta but well justify for its price different.

Current Taurus might look very similar but it has evole to very different gun with Beretta now. Other than barrel and barrel locking system, most part are not interchageable (including mag, grip, trigger...etc).

wamphyri13
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Make sure you stick to the PT92 fixed sight model and avoid the PT99 adjustable sight model like the plague. Rear sight is held on by a tiny little roll pin. I shot the sights off my PT101 (.40S&W) and Taurus had me send the slide to them. They didn't replace the sights, they replaced the whole slide. It then wouldn't go on my gun because of a slight change in machining making my guide rod too thick for the new slide. Asked CS for a new guide rod. Out of stock. A year and a half later, sent new guide rod. Pistol now works but I haven't shot it in years because of this. Won't sell either of them, (PT99 and PT101) because I have design spec mags. When the zombies come, I won't worry about sights. :D
Ryan

paul0660
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Only Taurus I would/can recommend to others.

I defer to your semi auto experience, and I would add every Taurus revolver I have owned has worked perfectly.

Oldnoob
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
That is true. I have always hear their revolver line are solid. My opinion were strictly for their semi auto pistols.

Turbinator
02-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Make sure you stick to the PT92 fixed sight model and avoid the PT99 adjustable sight model like the plague. Rear sight is held on by a tiny little roll pin. I shot the sights off my PT101 (.40S&W) and Taurus had me send the slide to them.

Better solution would have been to use a small nail, the type you'd hang a small picture frame up with, and trim it to size to replace the pin. I hear this works wonders and will last YEARS - much better than the factory pin that holds the sights in place.

Turby

jeffrice6
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Taurus did not buy Beretta (as far as I know) And as I understand it, for a minute Taurus used Beretta's tooling to make their 92. While I like the "extra feature" of the Taurus, I'll take the Beretta 92 every day of the week! My pistol smith works on both, and according to him, the quality between the two is night & day......

Fobanginvtek
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Is there a difference between Taurus m92 and PT92? Same thing i am assuming? With this pistol being such a affordable price, definitely picking one up in the next week or so.

Jimmy310
02-20-2012, 11:12 PM
I love my Taurus PT-92! Mine was manufactured in 1991 and still looks and functions great. It has a little bit of wear but it just add's character

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/jbusman84/IMG_5485.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/jbusman84/IMG_5494.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/jbusman84/IMG_5496.jpg

sparrow
02-21-2012, 2:50 AM
I bought a PT92 AF almost ten years ago and have put maybe just under a 1000 rounds through it. Itís not my favorite or my go to but I do like it and in those 1000 rds. It has performed flawless. Itís fairly accurate, never measured groups but I can keep it in the black at 15 yds. It fits my hand and balance is good, also prefer the frame mounted safety as well. I would recommend it, especially if the price is a deal and the fit suits you.

Oldnoob
02-21-2012, 4:14 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Is there a difference between Taurus m92 and PT92? Same thing i am assuming? With this pistol being such a affordable price, definitely picking one up in the next week or so.

As what I said on post #3. They are very different in term of parts. The "style" are similar but most parts beside the barrel can not interchangeable.

frank8097
02-21-2012, 7:55 AM
A couple years back I shot a friends old used 1980's taurus 92 which had some rust and looked like its never been cleaned, yet out of the 200 - 250 rounds I shot through it I can't recall a single failure to anything and was accurate as I was. If you can't fork out the money for a beretta or just don't want to the pt 92 is defiantly a good (probably the best) alternative.

wamphyri13
02-21-2012, 2:49 PM
I love my Taurus PT-92! Mine was manufactured in 1991 and still looks and functions great. It has a little bit of wear but it just add's character

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/jbusman84/IMG_5485.jpg

Are you sure about the 1991 manufacture? I bought my Taurus brand new in 1992. They did not have the decocker on them then. Mine has no decocker. My PT101 is a few years newer and has the decocker.
Ryan

InGrAM
02-21-2012, 7:31 PM
For $200 less than the Beretta and with a 1911 style safety, the Taurus 92 is a great deal if you are in the market for a Beretta style pistol.

I had a friend buy one, I shot about 300 rounds through it one afternoon and it was a fine gun. I ended up buying a S&W M&P9 over the Taurus 92 because I couldn't get over the customer complaints on other Taurus models. But, from what I hear and have experienced the Taurus 92 is a good pistol.

Jimmy310
02-21-2012, 8:52 PM
Are you sure about the 1991 manufacture? I bought my Taurus brand new in 1992. They did not have the decocker on them then. Mine has no decocker. My PT101 is a few years newer and has the decocker.
Ryan

Actually, it is a 1992 B model. I just double checked and it does have the decocker/safety on it.

brianm767
02-21-2012, 9:26 PM
Loved my Taurus , wish I still had it, preferred shooting it over the Berreta

Vampyredark
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Taurus did not buy Beretta

Yeah, they bought Rossi and improved the pistols! My Rossi 357 is awesome!

Fobanginvtek
03-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey guys i checked out the CA DOJ list, and I really wanted the Taurus PT92 two tone (black frame and stainless slide) but I don't see it on the list. Is there an issue with this? Seems like the only difference is color...I plan on ordering it online so I dont want to make a mistake here

wayneinFL
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a Beretta 92G and a 92D. (Picked up the 92D last month for a little over $300 with shipping and transfer fees). The reason I chose the D and G version was that I've never been fond of the slide mounted safety.

I never handled a Taurus, but like the frame mounted safety on the Taurus. Is the frame mounted safety on the Taurus also a decocker? Or is the Taurus DA only? Also, do standard GI Beretta mags function well in them?

monk
03-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I've been wanting a PT92 for a while now. Damn nice guns and I hear they're a bit slimmer than the M9/92fs so it should fit a bit better in my hands.

Maddog5150
03-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I worked at an FFL and hands down, would never buy another Taurus. Customers bringing back their Taurus for repairs for shotty workmanship was all too common and also with the two Taurus handguns I've owned. One was a revovler and it went off timing after the second shooting trip causing bleeding wounds on my face and me picking out peices of jacket out of my skin. Classic Taurus response was accusing me of using reloaded ammo which was a lie.
When it comes to Taurus, I feel we should drop Taurus firearms too all the insurgents in Afganistan, pirates in Somalia and cartels in Mexico. After a few weeks to months they will all be blind or dead (mostly because of FTF as was the problem with my other Turdus and the main problem for customers returning them) from FTF in a gun fight and the world will be a happy place.

SilverTauron
03-10-2012, 1:23 PM
I worked at an FFL and hands down, would never buy another Taurus. Customers bringing back their Taurus for repairs for shotty workmanship was all too common and also with the two Taurus handguns I've owned. One was a revovler and it went off timing after the second shooting trip causing bleeding wounds on my face and me picking out peices of jacket out of my skin. Classic Taurus response was accusing me of using reloaded ammo which was a lie.
When it comes to Taurus, I feel we should drop Taurus firearms too all the insurgents in Afganistan, pirates in Somalia and cartels in Mexico. After a few weeks to months they will all be blind or dead (mostly because of FTF as was the problem with my other Turdus and the main problem for customers returning them) from FTF in a gun fight and the world will be a happy place.

Considering the condition of the military issue Beretta 92s ive seen perhaps all weapons made by that 500 year old firm should be dumped into the wastes of Afghanistan first.

As to the PT99, I paid $78 in trade for one with a sticking magazine & gaudy gold paint on the fading blued slide.I racked the slide ready for just about anything, from a nonplussed click or a massive KB. The weapon shot straight and true that day, and it has continued to do so a year and change and 500 odd rounds after that.
No failures
stovepipes
jams
compound failures,or issues with the jacked up dremeled Beretta mag it sold with in the store.Neither did the two factory Taurus PT92 17 round magazines cause it to choke either.

There is cause to consider the Taurus to be a superior product. Taurus offers a lifetime warranty which follows the gun, so even if a used weapon turns out to be someone's experiment the new owner can send it in free of charge.Try doing that with a used Beretta sometime.

The PT92 series can be safely carried condition 1 Cocked and Locked, so those of you who aren't fans of a double action pull may find a friend in the Brazilian gun. Do not listen to the gun dealers who make little in profit from selling inexpensive Taurus arms, or the gunsmiths who would like one to buy a 1911 that generates repeat business. When considering a fireams purchase only those who spend their own benjamins should be considered.

Maddog5150
03-10-2012, 4:43 PM
Actually thats false my friend. Gun dealers make more money off Taurus and HiPoints than they do for Nighthawks and Ed Browns.
Cheap products in retail that have a cheap price have a larger percentage compared to cheap cost than high quality items.
For example, something cheap lets say that has a price of 200 bucks cost 150 bucks. The super high quality made item has a price for $2000 bucks but now has a cost of 1900. Where does the store make a profit? If I owned a gunstore and just cared about pushing for money instead of putting quality products in the hands of customers, I would be pushing hipoints and taurus exclusively. For a shop that has a huge selection, for every nighthawk bought, 100+ Tuarus or HiPoints are sold. Which one makes profit? ;)
Just something to think about but dont let the sales point change your mind on an inferior product. If you got a good one, thats a big plus 1 but for a product that is very iffy, I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. Oh, Ive seen the worst of the worst M9's (nasty girls get **** that even Marines reject ;) ) and even when rattling like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts, they still held true :p

WolfSamurai
03-11-2012, 2:55 PM
Brazil nationalized the Pietro Beretta line in 1980, Forjas Taurus purchased Beretta's S„o Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs.

In order to more effectively tap the U.S. market, the company created a subsidiary, Taurus International Manufacturing Incorporated, also known as Taurus USA, in 1984

Fobanginvtek
03-11-2012, 9:54 PM
Anyone know if the two tone pt92 is legal in CA?

chuckdc
03-12-2012, 1:28 PM
I have to echo what the earlier poster said about the rear sight on the -99 model. That was the ONLY gun-related failure I had in all the time I owned mine. I had the little pin break (replaced with a cut-off shank of a teeny-tiny drill bit) and the sliding leaf in the sight break. Taurus was great about replacing them, they just sent me the parts like I requested, and I had the parts in less than a week (from FL to CA,USPS, that's not bad)
In terms of functioning, though, I never, ever had a problem that wasn't caused by ammo (tested the ammo in other 9mms, and it failed in them, too). The one kind of ammo that DID fail was some WWII era surplus stuff that would go bang most of the time, but often with a slight delay, like it had to think about it first. Even then, when the stuff fired, it cycled just fine. I think I put somewhere between 5 and 10K rounds through mine, which I got used from a pawn shop.