PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 included lock DOJ approved?

djgtek
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
is the orange cable lock included with the glock 19 a doj approved safety device?

Gio
02-17-2012, 12:34 AM
It should be, if yours has the original wrapper and paper in the wrapper it should state that it meets the CA DOJ definition of a safety device.

sephy
02-17-2012, 7:02 AM
Yes, so long as you're buying it new. If buying used, ask if the shop will accept a receipt from the party you're purchasing it from.

SouperMan
02-17-2012, 8:52 AM
Yup. I got a red one when I bought a BNIB Glock 17. Supposedly saves the consumer the time/money in buying a lock ;)

Ubermcoupe
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Supposedly saves the consumer the time/money in buying a lock ;)

I wish it did, especially with all the Glocks I keep buying... :facepalm:

quiet-wyatt
02-17-2012, 1:22 PM
Yes, so long as you're buying it new. If buying used, ask if the shop will accept a receipt from the party you're purchasing it from.

It's the buyer's responsibility to purchase a CA DOJ Approved Lock within 30 days of firearm purchase and have the receipt to prove it...

sephy
02-17-2012, 11:53 PM
It's the buyer's responsibility to purchase a CA DOJ Approved Lock within 30 days of firearm purchase and have the receipt to prove it...

Yes, and some shops will accept a handwritten or typed receipt stating that the seller has sold the buyer the original lock.

Steve1968LS2
02-18-2012, 8:21 AM
Read this.. lots of FUD out there..

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist

But there's a wierd BATF Federal deal that negates the use of a "safe affidavit" with handguns.. :shrug:

Steve1968LS2
02-18-2012, 8:25 AM
I guess the G19 lock is on the list.. well, if it's one of these.. I'm constantly amazed at how complicated CA makes even the simplest things....

http://safetydevice.doj.ca.gov/fsearch_resp_new.asp

The lock that came with my new XDm isn't on the list.. most likely because the gun isn't on the roster..

Baconator
02-18-2012, 8:29 AM
12088.1. (a) All firearms sold or transferred in this state by a licensed firearms dealer, including private transfers through a dealer, and all firearms manufactured in this state, shall include or be accompanied by a firearms safety device that is listed on the Department of Justice's roster of approved firearms safety devices and that is identified as appropriate for that firearm by reference to either the manufacturer and model of the firearm, or to the physical characteristics of the firearm that match those listed on the roster for use with the device.

(e) The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if all of the following apply:
(1) The purchaser or transferee purchases an approved safety device no more than 30 days prior to the day the purchaser or transferee takes possession of the firearm.
(2) The purchaser or transferee presents the approved safety device to the firearms dealer when picking up the firearm.
(3) The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt to the firearms dealer which shows the date of purchase, the name, and the model number of the safety device.
(4) The firearms dealer verifies that the requirements in (1) to (3), inclusive, have been satisfied.
(5) The firearms dealer maintains a copy of the receipt along with the dealers' record of sales of firearms.

If the lock that comes with the gun is on the roster of safety devices, then it should be allowed to be used. All Glocks I have purchased include a lock that is on this roster. Don't believe the FUD.

Oldnoob
02-18-2012, 9:03 AM
Read this.. lots of FUD out there..

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist

But there's a wierd BATF Federal deal that negates the use of a "safe affidavit" with handguns.. :shrug:

Couple of FFL I frequently use will take the affidavit but Turner will refuse. According to them that federal law require cable lock purchase with in 30 days of firearm purchase (or transfer). None of my out of state friends ever purchased a cable lock in their life.

Steve1968LS2
02-18-2012, 9:13 AM
Couple of FFL I frequently use will take the affidavit but Turner will refuse. According to them that federal law require cable lock purchase with in 30 days of firearm purchase (or transfer). None of my out of state friends ever purchased a cable lock in their life.

Then, as Librarian stated, they are taking a chance of having legal issues.. :shrug:

This isn't "out of state".. it's CA.. and it's not just Turners..