PDA

View Full Version : Unloaded Rifle Open Carry- Definitely NOT practical; another LEO encounter

E Pluribus Unum
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Ok, so I set out for Tulare to volunteer at the farm show.

When I show up at 10:45, I try to report to gate 6 and I am turned away by law enforcement, they say the area is closed so they send me to another area which gets me sent to gate 16 way on the other side of the grounds. I lug my 12 pound M1A in a soft case and my UZi in another soft case from the parking area to gate 16 where I am told to go to gate 1. So, I lug my guns back to my car and drive over to gate 1, I get parked and once again, lug my cased M1A and Uzi to gate 1. Once I get there they tell me that if I am an exhibitor, I need to report to gate 6 (the original place I went). I then told them that gate 6 was full and closed by leos. She tells me she knows this, but my only option is to walk. Mind you, this is about a mile away. I had already lugged 20 pounds of rifle (m1a and uzi) around the back parking lot and my arms were tired. So, I figured, I have a tactical sling, I might as well use it.

I go back to my car and remove the M1A from the soft case and sling it over my back like a backpack. I then begin the .75-1 mile hike from the parking lot to gate 6. 75% of the way there, I am stopped by an old fat guy in a golf cart and he asks what I'm doing. I tell him I am an exhibitor and am carrying non-functional firearms to security to get them checked. He tells me "firearms are not allowed on the premises." I tell him that this is our third year exhibiting firearms and that there were already firearms in our booth. He says "Ok, go ahead, but I will check to make sure that's ok." Literally 3-4 minutes later I hear a blurp from a siren and I turn around to see two Tulare PD squad cars with their lights going.

The officer does a check to see if the M1A is loaded, and I told him that it didn't even have a bolt in the gun. I explain that in order for me to display the firearm at the show, it must be disabled in some way. He tells me that someone saw me transporting the gun and called 911. By then, the sergeant walks over and tells me that the head honcho of the ag show has said that the M1A should have been carried in a case and that because it wasn't, it was not to be on the property. He further instructs me that I am lucky I'm not getting arrested. I told him that while I understand that it's private property and the AG show can ask me to leave, that it is perfectly legal for me to be in possession of the rifle and that a threat of arrest was an "empty threat", to which he replied "I will not get into a philosophical debate with you; they have asked that you not enter the premises with that firearm." When I inquired about the uzi he said that any other firearm that was in a case was fair game, but that the M1A was specifically refused. I then asked what if I returned to my vehicle and put the M1A in a case, to which he replied, "they don't want that rifle on the premises, had you carried it in a case to begin with like you should have it would have been fine, but now, they don't want it here; if I come by your booth and see it there, we will have a problem,"

I kept it completely professional and did not mention calguns for fear that there would be any backlash on the group. I did not want to make a big deal over it for fear that it would prevent future shows from having firearms. I returned to my vehicle where I secured the M1a, and then returned to the show with my Uzi.

The funny thing about the whole ordeal was the "Western Security" staff that was doing security for the event was completely cool, The only people I had problems with were the fat guy in the golf cart, and the TPD officers that responded.

I showed up clean-shaven, showered (this time), in my nice boots, clean blue jeans, and a nice shirt....at an agricultural show where "liberal" is a dirty word, and someone saw fit to call 911 because they saw a guy with an M14 slung over his back. If anything, this is proof positive that the notion of open-carrying a rifle is preposterous.

If I learned anything from this, it is that the "conservative" populous is not nearly as "conservative" as they used to be. :mad:

P.S.
In re-reading my own post, it seems more cynical than I wanted to be... I want to be clear that I had a good time at the show and appreciate the opportunity to represent calguns and our goals to the public and that I take that responsibility very seriously. The only reason I posted this was to educate those "open carriers" that while open carrying a handgun goes largely unnoticed, the public is VERY mindful of a man carrying a rifle. Just don't do it; it is a very bad idea, even if legal.

OleCuss
02-17-2012, 6:02 AM
Interesting story. Thank you.

And it sounds to me like it isn't a failure of conservatism so much as an old fat guy who is freaked out by firearms - and a less than bright response by the show (and maybe the PD).

But yeah, open carry is a problem almost anywhere in this state. There are always a few who don't understand.

SAR_boats
02-17-2012, 6:28 AM
At the OP:

You statement that the conservative populace isn't as conservative as it used to be is......right on. I couldnt agree more

Not to pick on conservatives (I am libertarian), but people in general seem to have the general mindset of "I am exercising my RIGHTS but that guy over there who is doing the same thing is up to no good so I am going to call 911"

Example (lets pretend the UOC ban hadn't happened, hmmmm):

There is a caucasian gentleman wearing jeans and a polo shirt, conservative shoes, is clean shaven and he has a 1911 on his hip. He is not acting in a threatening manner. I would wager that most people would believe he is exercising his right to bear arms

You see a Hispanic gentleman wearing dickies shorts, high socks and a wife beater. He has his head shaved and is wearing black sunglasses and he has a glock fo-tay in plain sight on his hip. He is not acting in a threatening manner. Most people would call the cops because there is an OG with a gun.

The simple fact of the matter is that we live in a voyeuristic society and people in general need to quit worrying about what other people are doing and get their own ***** straight. I see a guy with a rifle, I think "hey, there's a guy with a rifle" not "I don't see that everyday, it must be illegal"

Rant over.

AyatollahGondola
02-17-2012, 8:19 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that all rifle carry is impractical based upon this one incident, or even as an example in conjunction.
This whole event centered around the issue of carrying a rifle on the private property of others. It's a proven fact that the owners or controllers of private property can dictate most of your use of that property. In contrast, the major issue of gun rights in California centers around individual's use or possession of them in public, on public property.
I'd also ask why you thought that you'd find conservatives there at the farm show. There's no inherent connection between conservatism and farmers in California

winnre
02-17-2012, 8:23 AM
Not to pick on conservatives (I am libertarian), but people in general seem to have the general mindset of "I am exercising my RIGHTS but that guy over there who is doing the same thing is up to no good so I am going to call 911"

Criminals have rights. Citizens have liberties.

SilverTauron
02-17-2012, 8:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that all rifle carry is impractical based upon this one incident, or even as an example in conjunction.
This whole event centered around the issue of carrying a rifle on the private property of others. It's a proven fact that the owners or controllers of private property can dictate most of your use of that property. In contrast, the major issue of gun rights in California centers around individual's use or possession of them in public, on public property.
I'd also ask why you thought that you'd find conservatives there at the farm show. There's no inherent connection between conservatism and farmers in California

This was a circumstance where practical logic dictated open carry was a wise approach to take.He did so, and was nearly arrested for doing so due to some hoplophobe in need of education and reproductive fortitude.This could have happened anywhere in the state.

This incident is an example of a cultural truth;and that sorry fact is that among the rank and file population the 2nd Amendment is dead.

Legally speaking of course you still possess your rights, but that fact in many places across the country is as archaic as Hammurabic Law. Even here in South Dakota I am not immune to an ignorant imbecile calling 911 on 'a man with a gun'.

This is the thought process to the masses who see any of us with a firearm:
To the layman a man owning even a registered firearm is a person to be wary of.Guns kill every day on the news after all, and the authorities and medical associations say that guns are on par with cigarettes as being dangerous to someone's health, so logically a man who even owns a gun must have a few screws loose.

Openly carrying a long arm ? Oh my. Obviously this individual is up to no good, as you don't need to sling a gun on your back for target shooting. Better call 911 and have this guy arrested, as nobody needs to carry a rifle in the year 2012. We don't live in dodge city.

**911 operator** "theres a guy walking around with a machine gun near the farm exhibition, can you send a deputy to check it out?"

When the population at large thinks guns are deadlier than nuclear waste that is the reaction one can expect. The law doesn't even come into play, because its a CULTURAL norm that people in California who follow or work for the law are unarmed. Being armed openly =criminal, and if you aren't doing anything criminal by gosh the authorities will find something criminal to charge you with.

littlejake
02-17-2012, 8:50 AM
It's an example of how liberal social engineering has changed attitudes in this state. Back in the 1970's I shot trap at the Standard Oil range in the hills of La Habra. I openly carried my Remington 870 Wingmaster to my car. It was clearly visible in the car. I had a buddy who worked there and I was only a guest of their gun club. Gate security never gave me a hassle coming onto their land to participate. Afterwards, I would remove the barrel and head over to my buddy's for a couple of beers. He lived in an apartment complex near the Chevron facility; and I would walk from my car to his apartment with my broken apart 870 in hand. No one said a word. Clearly those days are gone.

1859sharps
02-17-2012, 9:08 AM
If I learned anything from this, it is that the "conservative" populous is not nearly as "conservative" as they used to be. :mad:

yet one more example of why I continue to be perplexed by this notion that conservative automatically is supposed to mean pro gun, pro 2nd amendment.

I do get and realize that "quote conservative" leaning people tend to be more often pro gun, pro second amendment.

But this is a classic example of why I long ago abandoned the idea that only "conservatives" are pro gun/pro second amendment. or to even expect that "conservatives" will be pro gun/pro second amendment.

I will even take it one step further and challenge all your "conservatives" with the idea that "modern" conservative isn't what we grew up thinking it was. it's changed and not for the better. same goes for "liberal".

I am old enough to remember people who called them selves "conservative" acted and believed a whole lot different than what is passing for "conservative" today.

I used to think of my self as "conservative" or at least "conservative leaning". But I honestly am having a harder and harder time doing so. I am not finding my self lining up with "conservatism" anymore...or more accurately what is passing for and being labeled as "conservative" today. By the same token, what's passing for "liberal" these days is not something I can align with either.

It's not easy finding a "home" politically these days.

AyatollahGondola
02-17-2012, 9:17 AM
This was a circumstance where practical logic dictated open carry was a wise approach to take.He did so, and was nearly arrested for doing so due to some hoplophobe in need of education and reproductive fortitude.This could have happened anywhere in the state.

This incident is an example of a cultural truth;and that sorry fact is that among the rank and file population the 2nd Amendment is dead.

Legally speaking of course you still possess your rights, but that fact in many places across the country is as archaic as Hammurabic Law. Even here in South Dakota I am not immune to an ignorant imbecile calling 911 on 'a man with a gun'.

To the layman a man owning even a registered firearm is a person to be wary of.Guns kill every day on the news after all, and the authorities and medical associations say that guns are on par with cigarettes as being dangerous to someone's health, so logically a man who even owns a gun must have a few screws loose.

Openly carrying a long arm ? Oh my. Obviously this individual is up to no good, as you don't need to sling a gun on your back for target shooting. Better call 911 and have this guy arrested, as nobody needs to carry a rifle in the year 2012. We don't live in dodge city.

**911 operator** "theres a guy walking around with a machine gun near the farm exhibition, can you send a deputy to check it out?"

When the population at large thinks guns are deadlier than nuclear waste that is the reaction one can expect. The law doesn't even come into play, because its a CULTURAL norm that people in California who follow or work for the law are unarmed. Being armed openly =criminal, and if you aren't doing anything criminal by gosh the authorities will find something criminal to charge you with.

If it was the encounter with the law enforcement that led him to the conclusion that rifle carry should not be done, than any encounter with LEO should then lead him to conclude whatever it was that led to the encounter should not be done. If it was the fact that he was told he could not carry the rifle on private property, then that should be the only conclusion evident to him
I've had negative encounters with LEO during rifle carry; And I've had no encounters with them other than passing glances. In either case, I continued my carry after. Either you stand up for your rights, or you don't; But please don't use this to set the bar for others, as it is not that relative to our overall gun rights battle. It's borderline propaganda

AyatollahGondola
02-17-2012, 9:23 AM
yet one more example of why I continue to be perplexed by this notion that conservative automatically is supposed to mean pro gun, pro 2nd amendment.

I do get and realize that "quote conservative" leaning people tend to be more often pro gun, pro second amendment.

But this is a classic example of why I long ago abandoned the idea that only "conservatives" are pro gun/pro second amendment. or to even expect that "conservatives" will be pro gun/pro second amendment.

I will even take it one step further and challenge all your "conservatives" with the idea that "modern" conservative isn't what we grew up thinking it was. it's changed and not for the better. same goes for "liberal".

I am old enough to remember people who called them selves "conservative" acted and believed a whole lot different than what is passing for "conservative" today.

I used to think of my self as "conservative" or at least "conservative leaning". But I honestly am having a harder and harder time doing so. I am not finding my self lining up with "conservatism" anymore...or more accurately what is passing for and being labeled as "conservative" today. By the same token, what's passing for "liberal" these days is not something I can align with either.

It's not easy finding a "home" politically these days.

the whole differencee between conservative and liberal was rooted in spending. either you favored liberal spending in government, or conservative spending. But propagandists have saddled that with baggage to infect it and make it less palatable to fence sitters or ship jumpers. Now conservatives are also supposed to be pro-life, pro christian, and anti immigrant, among a few others. Unfortunately, not just liberals are responsible for the labeling and propaganda. The bible thumpers, right-to-lifer's and others keep claim jumping and hijacking because they often cannot sell their sole agenda on merit alone.

1859sharps
02-17-2012, 9:40 AM
the whole difference between conservative and liberal was rooted in spending.

If you mean one spends more than the other, I disagree. Both can and do spend like there is a bottomless pit of money at their disposal.

If you mean rooted in what they spend Taxes on, ya that plays into defining Conservative verse Liberal. But I think a more telling and more Root indication is how one or the other views the role of Government in solving life's problems and challenges.

AyatollahGondola
02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
If you mean one spends more than the other, I disagree. Both can and do spend like there is a bottomless pit of money at their disposal.

If you mean rooted in what they spend Taxes on, ya that plays into defining Conservative verse Liberal. But I think a more telling and more Root indication is how one or the other views the role of Government in solving life's problems and challenges.

the role of government is limited by the spending in most cases. When McCain was in the primary, he was being defended by many on the right based upon his support for right to life and a few other alleged conservative values. He was a big spender though, and hardly conservative. But the baggage issues prevailed, and little by little, conservative now means right wing, pro-war, right-to-life rather than conservative spending.

SilverTauron
02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
If it was the encounter with the law enforcement that led him to the conclusion that rifle carry should not be done, than any encounter with LEO should then lead him to conclude whatever it was that led to the encounter should not be done. If it was the fact that he was told he could not carry the rifle on private property, then that should be the only conclusion evident to him

That approach is willfully ignoring the tree for the sake of inspecting a leaf.This is a problem that goes beyond property rights. Why did the owners feel the need to call the police when a simple face to face conversation would have sufficed?

I've had negative encounters with LEO during rifle carry; And I've had no encounters with them other than passing glances. In either case, I continued my carry after. Either you stand up for your rights, or you don't; But please don't use this to set the bar for others, as it is not that relative to our overall gun rights battle. It's borderline propaganda

I disagree. This incident represents the very problem we must overcome to ensure our rights are secure. The OPs rifle was no more dangerous on his shoulder than it was in the case.That is not a matter for interpretation, but verifiable fact. That the public establishment was called to disarm a man with a non-functional weapon says the culture is very intolerant of firearms, which is a cultural problem that goes beyond the letter of the law.

We cannot advance our cause on the letter of the law alone. Most people who aren't gun savvy think nationwide handgun registration is law already.We can sit back and rely on the fact that the law entitles our rights ( and it does) , but then the liberals will set about changing and subverting the laws to fit their culturally accepted viewpoint.

Unless we attack the cultural problem of firearms acceptance in the community the liberals will win by attrition , as they have in every other nation that lost their gun rights. We shooters must not rest on 'The Law' to justify our actions, or we will wake up one day to a society where walking down the street with a cased firearm will get you jailed.

AyatollahGondola
02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
That approach is willfully ignoring the tree for the sake of inspecting a leaf.This is a problem that goes beyond property rights. Why did the owners feel the need to call the police when a simple face to face conversation would have sufficed?

I disagree. This incident represents the very problem we must overcome to ensure our rights are secure. The OPs rifle was no more dangerous on his shoulder than it was in the case.That is not a matter for interpretation, but verifiable fact. That the public establishment was called to disarm a man with a non-functional weapon says the culture is very intolerant of firearms, which is a cultural problem that goes beyond the letter of the law.

We cannot advance our cause on the letter of the law alone. Most people who aren't gun savvy think nationwide handgun registration is law already.We can sit back and rely on the fact that the law entitles our rights ( and it does) , but then the liberals will set about changing and subverting the laws to fit their culturally accepted viewpoint.

Unless we attack the cultural problem of firearms acceptance in the community the liberals will win by attrition , as they have in every other nation that lost their gun rights. We shooters must not rest on 'The Law' to justify our actions, or we will wake up one day to a society where walking down the street with a cased firearm will get you jailed.

I don't know that it was the property owner that called, or that that was the only call. It could have been anyone. One hike with my rifle caused numerous Man with a gun calls which I verified by a PRA.

We are exactly alike in our thinking about acceptance. My complaint was that the original poster was heralding this as the reason OC of long guns should not be done. It's a horrible example for that, for the reasons I stated. We can force changes on public property, but not on the will of private owners. The only way to cause changes in private property owners will is to watch them suffer economically when they disallow patronage.

diggersdarling
02-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Nothing like more nannies.

Hopalong
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm not surprised, this is, after all , California.

These events are not as likely to happen, say, in Texas or Louisiana.

As mentioned above by Silver, it is "the cultural problem of firearm acceptance"

I would not blame the LEOs, in this instance, pr se, as they are just an extension of this culture, and products of their environment.

Either by training, habit, mandate, politics, or any combination thereof.

As far as the reference to "the public" goes

Remember, it only takes ONE phone call to ruin your day

Peter.Steele
02-17-2012, 7:36 PM
Okay so I've got a couple questions here:

1. Who the hell is "Western Security?" I thought Bower Security had the contract for all the security there. Hell, they had an office on the second floor of the main building.

2. Was it actually a security guard that was the problem, or was it a volunteer? The volunteers draw a lot of water in Tulare. I lost my job in Tulare in part because I pressed charges for assault with a deadly against the son of one of the Farm Show volunteers.

3. Do Bobby and Carol still make the best tri-tip in Tulare County?

paul0660
02-17-2012, 7:41 PM
Thank you for posting this Epluribis.

Which Way Out
02-17-2012, 8:14 PM
In my world I would of giving you a ride in the golf cart, escorted you past the gates and hit the cold drink stand before taking you to your destination.

Some people just over react without thinking. Common sense and shame are gone

Darklyte27
02-20-2012, 5:44 PM
I would have ask the cops where they got their info, also I would have confirmed that you were 100% allowed with written permission from the event coordinator ahead of time or someone in charge so you could have avoided all that lugging around bs.

fallenknight308
02-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Well said sir! Could not have produced better prose on the subject myself.

30rdMag
02-21-2012, 1:24 AM
#1: Guy walks into parking lot with rifle. To shoot up the place

#2: Guy walks into parking lot with rifle. To display his rifle

Can you tell me which one you are?

You, I and everyone here knows what you are going to do. The public only sees "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle"
They do not see the reasons past that. But can you tell me if its #1 or #2

The public, largely in part because of the media. All people know is "Guy walking into parking lot with rifle ??? Better call the police!

Its a lesson learned. It might sucked at the time but you did the right thing. And it all worked out. No jail, No one taking your guns, your allowed to come back next time and you were still able to educate and have a display.

Maybe we should be working to invite the media to our friendly events. Show the public the Bbq's and safe range events and friendships. And that we are not a bunch of crazy cowboys or gangsters running drugs and hookers.

NoHeavyHitter
02-21-2012, 1:34 AM
There you go... Now that you learned that "no good deed goes unpunished" - I guess you won't be so stupid to volunteer yourself next time.

ap3572001
02-21-2012, 11:11 AM
#1: Guy walks into parking lot with rifle. To shoot up the place

#2: Guy walks into parking lot with rifle. To display his rifle

Can you tell me which one you are?

You, I and everyone here knows what you are going to do. The public only sees "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle"
They do not see the reasons past that. But can you tell me if its #1 or #2

The public, largely in part because of the media. All people know is "Guy walking into parking lot with rifle ??? Better call the police!

Its a lesson learned. It might sucked at the time but you did the right thing. And it all worked out. No jail, No one taking your guns, your allowed to come back next time and you were still able to educate and have a display.

Maybe we should be working to invite the media to our friendly events. Show the public the Bbq's and safe range events and friendships. And that we are not a bunch of crazy cowboys or gangsters running drugs and hookers.

I think it depends WHERE is the guy walking with a rifle. What kind of an area is it? What kind of a rifle.
Who called the police and why the called.

scarville
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I stopped confusing "conservative" with "pro-gun" a long time ago. A few of teh more prominent examples of conservatives screwing gun owners are: Don Mulford authored the bill that bears his name ending open carry in California. Richard Nixon admitted he wanted to ban all handguns. Ronald Reagan support the Brady abomination.

BobB35
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Welcome to California.

Why is anyone surprised when something like this happens in CA...this is normal. The liberals have so messed this state up that barring what everyone else thinks is going to happen, it will take an massive upheaval to actually make change. From the so-called conservatives to the LEOs this state is jacked....through the anti-gun liberals on top and I am amazed that anyone can actually own a gun in CA let alone carry one.....

As a final point, why would you go somewhere you are clearly not wanted....me I would have looked at the PD and stated "Thank you for doing your part to destroy the nation" turned and walked away and not looked back...why support those that don't support you...just stupid in my opinion...

30rdMag
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I think it depends WHERE is the guy walking with a rifle. What kind of an area is it? What kind of a rifle.
Who called the police and why the called.

But it doesnt. Because had you looked closer at the "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle" that I typed you might have seen his intentions before calling the police.
The public only sees "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle" And because of media reports we are all scared the "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle" is going in to cause harm. Not that he is about to teach us there is nothing to be afraid of.

30rdMag
02-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Welcome to California.

As a final point, why would you go somewhere you are clearly not wanted....me I would have looked at the PD and stated "Thank you for doing your part to destroy the nation" turned and walked away and not looked back...why support those that don't support you...just stupid in my opinion...

No that would have been a bigger negative. He did the right thing. Though I would have been scared someone breaking into my car and stealing it. Since the worlds eyes has been drawn down at him.

It might have started out crap. And because of the calm cool thinking of the "gun" owner. The show kept going on. And that is how you want to spin any of this stuff.

DannyInSoCal
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Next time - Be early...

1911su16b870
02-21-2012, 1:30 PM
...the public is VERY mindful of a man carrying a rifle. Just don't do it; it is a very bad idea, even if legal.

+1 :oji:

E Pluribus Unum
02-21-2012, 2:08 PM
Next time - Be early...

It's not practical for me. I love calguns, and not much rises above it's priority level. Two of those priorities hit me:

Tuesday- Valentines day (Buying things for perpetual vagina is more important)
Wednesday- Paying Customers (Earning money to buy things)

I scheduled all of my customers around to free up Thursday, where I planned to be all day. I got there at 9am. As it turned out, it took me over 2 hours to get in the door with my rifle, and I spent the rest of the day helping where needed. While I did not do as much as I would have liked, I gave a full day to Calguns and it was the absolute most I have to give right now.

Purple K
02-21-2012, 3:02 PM
I spent two days at the Calguns booth at Tulare, with completely different results. I arrived at gate #6 and went directly to the check-in trailer to the left of the gate. At check-in I was given my exhibitor/volunteer badge. Then I went to the security trailer to the right of the gate, where the firearms were verified as disabled. The security folks then offered a ride to our booth. The sensitivity around your open carry may have been due to Newt Gingrich's visit Tuesday or G.W. Bush's visit Wednesday.

ap3572001
02-21-2012, 10:36 PM
But it doesnt. Because had you looked closer at the "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle" that I typed you might have seen his intentions before calling the police.
The public only sees "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle" And because of media reports we are all scared the "Guy walks into parking lot with rifle" is going in to cause harm. Not that he is about to teach us there is nothing to be afraid of.

Even if where I work ( not a rural area) I seea guy walking on a parking lot with a rifle, I will not assume that He is up to no good.

dwtt
02-22-2012, 1:38 AM
If the show's organizer wanted firearms brought there inside a case, why couldn't the OP carry the M1A in a case? I see him causing problems for himself and then complaining about it here. He even said his Uzi, which was in a case, was allowed by the show organizers and the cops. From the thread title, I see a bit of self-victimization mentality by the OP.

E Pluribus Unum
02-22-2012, 2:46 AM
If the show's organizer wanted firearms brought there inside a case, why couldn't the OP carry the M1A in a case? I see him causing problems for himself and then complaining about it here. He even said his Uzi, which was in a case, was allowed by the show organizers and the cops. From the thread title, I see a bit of self-victimization mentality by the OP.

Umm.. I don't consider myself a victim. The only reason I posted it was to point out that open carry of a rifle is not practical. I figured if I pointed out a case where the open carry of a rifle in a populated area was more legitimate than "hey, I have a right to" , and I was still harassed and threatened with arrest, then the "Hey, I have a right to" person would probably be uber-screwed with.

As far as "Why no case", I already answered that. I had already spent an hour walking from gate to gate carrying the Uzi and M1A (in separate cases) following directions and when the final direction was to park my car in the overflow parking, then walk a mile to gate 6.... volunteer the rest of the day... and then walk another mile back to my car, I decided to utilise the tactical sling already attached to the M1A. My arms were already sore from carrying 20 pounds of rifle around for an hour and decided that with 1-2 miles more to go, I was going to do it with a sling. Honestly, if I had two tactical slings, the Uzi would have been outside the case too.

P.S.
If the show's organizer wanted firearms brought there inside a case, why couldn't the OP carry the M1A in a case?

I was never told to bring my rifles in a case... it just seemed to me to be common sense. In the end, the reality of gravity and distance seemed more relevant than normal common sense rules.