PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Bull Barrel SSE advice...

keenkeen
02-16-2012, 9:13 PM
I was at the range this week and got talking about off roster 1911's. It got me wondering about doing an SSE on a bull barrel 1911 (9mm or 45acp).

Do the shops that do them have to carry an SSE bull barrel as well as the standard SSE 1911 barrel? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any input or relaying any first hand experience with this.

skyscraper
02-16-2012, 9:19 PM
Good question. They must have a way since the half rail TRP operator is a bull barrel and a few placing are offering it as SSE. I'm curious as well

MA2
02-16-2012, 9:35 PM
I have a couple of bull barrel Springfield's, just loaded models (not trp).
The inside of the slide are already cut for bushings.

keenkeen
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Good stuff...I figured some models might have the slide cut for a bushing already.

Anyone know if STI does this with their slides?

unusedusername
02-17-2012, 2:42 PM
The shops that I've seen usually just put a whole 1911 slide/barrel assembly on the top of the frame for SSE, so it does not matter if the pistol is bull-barreled or not.

It does not need to feed rounds from the magazine in SSE form so the differences in the frame type don't make any difference.

keenkeen
02-17-2012, 2:54 PM
The shops that I've seen usually just put a whole 1911 slide/barrel assembly on the top of the frame for SSE, so it does not matter if the pistol is bull-barreled or not.

It does not need to feed rounds from the magazine in SSE form so the differences in the frame type don't make any difference.

A complete slide swap to one with the longer barrel would do the trick...

I have never seen an FFL that does 1911 SSEs this way...always just a barrel swap and a mag block of some type (fixed dummy sled, long grip screws, bolt thru dummy grips, etc.)

I would be interested in what FFLs swap the complete slide...do you have any names?

Thank you.