PDA

View Full Version : Shave FSB vs. buying new gas block

Metal Magic
02-16-2012, 9:51 PM
So I just purchased a new upper with a standard A2 FSB and I was going to remove it and install a low-pro gas block. After doing some reading I think I may just shave the FSB and keep the tapered pins that hold it in place. Any input?

dieselpower
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
whats your end result... why are you doing this? Why not trade or buy a upper or barrel with these features you are looking for.

Metal Magic
02-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Looking to possibly install a FF rail in the future, and honestly from the videos I have seen online I think I could probably shave the gas block and have it re installed in an hour.

I have done the math and I could buy a complete upper assemble and modify it to accept a Centurion Arms C4 rail for cheaper then I could build one from scratch.

Basically I am bored and thinking in the future it would be a fun project I just wanted some input on shaving a FSB vs dimpling a barrel and installing a true Low-Profile Block.

RuggedJay
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
why didnt u.buy and upper that already had a low profile gas block. personally I would just leave it as it is. Or remove barrel and front sight post and sell it and then buy new barrel with LP gasblock and put it together again.

tuna quesadilla
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
The shaved FSB will be much stronger and more stable than any user-installed low-pro gas block because it is taper pinned rather than set-screwed or clamped.

You will likely never need that extra strength, but there it is.

Merc1138
02-16-2012, 10:54 PM
The shaved FSB will be much stronger and more stable than any user-installed low-pro gas block because it is taper pinned rather than set-screwed or clamped.

Makes sense to me, especially with all of those horror stories of gas block pins just falling out

tuna quesadilla
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Makes sense to me, especially with all of those horror stories of gas block pins just falling out

I have never heard of such a thing. :confused:

deviljon
02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
I shaved the FSB on my BCM upper and have it sitting under a Samson rail. Didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the tapered pins and all that. Came out decent and fits under the rail with no problems.

TheHammerOfTruth
02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
+1 for shaving it

TheHammerOfTruth
02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
+1 for shaving it

Merc1138
02-16-2012, 11:27 PM

I can't imagine why...

tuna quesadilla
02-16-2012, 11:32 PM

I can't imagine why...

What? Is this a failed attempt at sarcasm? Did you misunderstand what I wrote? :confused:

clutchy
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
+1 for shaving it

+2 best way to do it imo

Metal Magic
02-17-2012, 7:45 AM
Yeah I am pretty sold on the idea and, if I screw up beyond repair then I can always buy a replacement. I like the idea of the added strength, I like the idea of the low price . . . . . I think I'm convinced.

Sicarius
02-17-2012, 9:23 AM
Just shave it. If it needs to be replaced, they are cheap and plentiful. On my DPMS 308 upper. It had the goofy railed set screw gas block. I put it in the mill and took it down so it fit under the rail.
Kevin