PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 556E vs a "quality upper"

sd_shooter
02-16-2012, 9:36 PM
I've been thinking about getting a BCM upper. I'm figuring about $1000 just for the upper (already have the lower), more for the stock and small parts.

So today I noticed that Turner's is selling the Ruger 556E for ~$1100. A piston AR for the price of my upper!

So.... why wouldn't I just get the Ruger and forget my project? At first I wanted a piston upper but those are even more expensive than the BCM (I was looking at PWS.)

This is going to be my first AR.

tuna quesadilla
02-16-2012, 9:56 PM
What upper are you getting for $1000?

The plain-Jane BCM uppers are $399.

TheHammerOfTruth
02-16-2012, 11:25 PM
The 556E is a great rifle. arguably the best piston gun in its price range.

wikioutdoor
02-16-2012, 11:28 PM
There is nothing horribly wrong about the 556e I just would recommend if you were considering the pws uppers you stay with that.

BSamms
02-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Do a little research into the materials used and the quality control of both products. I love Ruger, have several 10-22's, LCR, LCP, Super Redhawk....but I'd choose Bravo Co over Ruger every time when it comes to an AR.

FrankDux
02-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Bravo Company is legit and you can find the uppers $399 w/o bcg and handguard. Or get complete with rail/bcg and upgraded charging handle for ~$800-1800 or what ever you want to spend, also certain ones you get to choose what muzzle devices you want. Cant go wrong with the SR556 tho. As stated above, BCM for AR stuff. I have one and Im very pleased with it, excellent quality. Im actually gonna order another for SPR style build. Good Luck

sd_shooter
02-17-2012, 6:34 AM
What upper are you getting for $1000?

The plain-Jane BCM uppers are $399.

Something like this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20ddl12.htm

Add the auto BCG and GF charging handle and it's $1000. If I want their BFH barrel I suppose I might start with their plain upper. I'd still rip off the standard front sight and add either a DD or Larue free float tube.

But the Ruger also comes with a hammer forged barrel - standard! And a chrome plated bolt and carrier.

Perhaps a better direct comparison would be the standard SR556 since it comes with the 4-rail hand guard.

And I found the SR556E model on Bud's for $$993shipped so the Turner's price won't make me hurry up. (They don't deal well with CA so I can't just add it to my shopping cart, but with a middle man it's an option.)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/76694

17+1
02-17-2012, 7:10 AM
My wifes dad just bought one of these for his AR build...if you've got the cash, they are sweet:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-stealth-sniper-system-lt011

He got the 20" barrel with 13.2" float rail. :willy_nilly:

sd_shooter
02-17-2012, 9:22 AM
My wifes dad just bought one of these for his AR build...if you've got the cash, they are sweet:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-stealth-sniper-system-lt011

He got the 20" barrel with 13.2" float rail. :willy_nilly:

Yeah, they look nice:
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq195/sd_shooter_photos/larue_stealth.jpg

cwin
02-17-2012, 9:23 AM
I say build your own if you're in the mood for a project but I would personally just buy a factory assembled rifle and the Ruger 556 is solid. I too am considering a piston ar and have been eyeing an LWRC but I can't justify the price.

cfusionpm
02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I've had a 556E for several months now and like it quite a bit. It's a little nose heavy compared to a DI gun, but it's a great shooter. There were a few hiccups with American Eagle black box 5.56, but any issues were fixed by dialing the gas setting from 2 to 1. Every other ammo I've put through it likes the default 2 setting.

Anyway, with my ham-fisted shooting, I was getting about 2MOA using cheap PMC Bronze. Never tried nice match ammo because I have no intention of using this as a percision rifle.

There is almost no play between the recievers and everything has a nice tight fit. It's super easy to clean because most of the gunk stays up at the piston in the front. The bolt carrier wipes clean easy with some hoppes and a rag, while I usually take a carbon scraper to the bolt. The piston popps out very easily and can be cleaned with steel wool in a matter of minutes (I throw on some hoppes to help).

I have no idea how (or if) you can change out the hand guard, but that's OK. It's not too thick and can attach any rail segments needed. The only down side is they only fit Ruger proprietary rails (available for purchase from Shop Ruger). I picked up a 5" piece for underneath and used the plastic handguard pieces on left/right sides. Sometimes, it gets a little gunked up underneath the handguard (well... after 1000+ rounds or so) and it's hard to get to for cleaning, but a small metal pick and a splash of hoppes works wonders.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8405/img9307l.jpg

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4901/img9291h.jpg

I've added a bunch of junk to mine to make it more "mine."
I swapped or added:
BattleComp 1.5
Magpul MIAD grip (will fit 3 roundes into rubber holes, great for bullet button)
5" rail section with Magpul AFG2
Magpul front and rear MBUS (had move the front one off the gas block)
EOTech XPS2
Magpul CTR stock (mil spec)
Magpul B.A.D. lever (not pictured)
Magpul enhanced trigger guard (not pictured)

The more I shoot it though, the less I seem to like the AFG. Will probably swap it for a standard forward verticle grip. Luckily Magpul stuff is very well priced!

It started out life looking a lot different! Here's how it was right after I took it home and threw on a quick 3-9 scope:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6062/img8885t.jpg

CHS
02-17-2012, 1:16 PM
I have no idea how (or if) you can change out the hand guard

With the Rugers, you can't. They unitized the handguards to the upper receiver making it one complete unit. That is one drawback to the Ruger.

freonr22
02-17-2012, 1:27 PM
I thought I saw last night, the Palmetto state 14.7 w/pinned fh complete for $399.00

cfusionpm
02-17-2012, 5:11 PM
With the Rugers, you can't. They unitized the handguards to the upper receiver making it one complete unit. That is one drawback to the Ruger.
I never really saw that as a down side. It's got a nice thin profile and it's not all junked up with unecessary rail.

CHS
02-17-2012, 5:15 PM
I never really saw that as a down side. It's got a nice thin profile and it's not all junked up with unecessary rail.

Even the railed one is like that. The handguard is actually pinned to the upper receiver.

It's a drawback for some. Not one for others.

The one that kinda killed the Ruger for me (besides the fact that I can't stand piston AR's) was they copied the AGES OLD Colt stupidity of using a stepped hammer and a non-shrouded firing pin on the bolt carrier. Now, if this was a DI gun, that's an easy fix, but you can't just replace the carrier when it's a non-standard custom design.

It should tell you something when even Colt doesn't do that stuff anymore.

Sunday
02-17-2012, 5:45 PM
BCM and Colt should have the longest life and reliability in extreme use. I am not sure if Ruger is a match. that said what is the big whoop about a piston setup. The DI are conflict proven:facepalm:and hold up well. Myself a basic BCM upper is the way to go, $399.00 is for a stripped upper ,you will need a BCM bolt which is about $139.00 "the best and the heart of the AR" and a handguard. IMO all the mall ninja stuff doesn't make a reliable or effective rifle. Study up on this link and ask yourself if the ruger piston will do this http://www.slip2000.com/art-swat2.html

cfusionpm
02-17-2012, 5:58 PM
There's very little gunk in the BCG at all. After about 2000 rounds or so through mine, I've never needed to use more than a rag to wipe the carrier clean. I use a carbon scraper on the bolt, but even that doesn't require that much work, and I only do that every 500-ish rounds. Piston cleans in a few minutes with steel wool. Only failures I ever had were with American Eagle black box 5.56 cycling too fast and jamming the nose of the round into the top of the chamber about once every 50 rounds. Dial the gas back to setting #1 (of 3) when using that ammo, and issue is solved. Everything else has worked 100% on standard #2 setting. The only cleaning I do every trip is a few quick bore snake pulls and maybe a few swipes with a toothbrush for the big stuff. There's very little build-up of gunk anywhere on the rifle.

TheHammerOfTruth
02-17-2012, 10:49 PM
BCM and Colt should have the longest life and reliability in extreme use.

This is a personal opinion at best. BCM has not been in business nearly long enough to make a claim like this. BCM does have a great reputation but it is important to remember that they are just a bunch of guys like us assembling uppers and lowers in their warehouse and selling them to the public. I get tired of hearing all of the BCM this and BCM that. The company is an infant in this game and a cool name does not a great company make. Yes, they bring to market some good gear, and yes the gunfighter charging handle is a good unit. But please do not make statements like this that are completely unfounded.

tuna quesadilla
02-17-2012, 11:09 PM
This is a personal opinion at best. BCM has not been in business nearly long enough to make a claim like this. BCM does have a great reputation but it is important to remember that they are just a bunch of guys like us assembling uppers and lowers in their warehouse and selling them to the public. I get tired of hearing all of the BCM this and BCM that. The company is an infant in this game and a cool name does not a great company make. Yes, they bring to market some good gear, and yes the gunfighter charging handle is a good unit. But please do not make statements like this that are completely unfounded.

Filthy 14

Prc329
02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Think of it this way, if you buy the rifle you are still gonna need an upper for your current lower.

BSamms
02-18-2012, 1:13 AM

Bravo Co offered quality products that have been more then proven long before Ruger tried to fix what wasn't broken by throwing a bunch of proprietary nonsense together and calling it an AR. I'm a self proclaimed Ruger fanboy, so I'm not trying to flame Ruger. The piston battle rifle was perfected already in Russia anyways.

GM4spd
02-18-2012, 6:29 AM
That is one drawback to the Ruger.

Only one drawback to a Ruger? Pete

Sunday
02-18-2012, 8:13 AM
[QUOTE=TheHammerOfTruth;8061718]This is a personal opinion at best. BCM has not been in business nearly long enough to make a claim like this. BCM does have a great reputation but it is important to remember that they are just a bunch of guys like us assembling uppers and lowers in their warehouse and selling them to the public. I get tired of hearing all of the BCM this and BCM that. The company is an infant in this game and a cool name does not a great company make. Yes, they bring to market some good gear, and yes the gunfighter charging handle is a good unit. But please do not make statements like this that are completely unfounded.[/QUOThey are tops because of the quality of their selection of parts and assembly. No brag just facts and I have seen low quality ARs choke and many classes.

Arisaka
02-18-2012, 8:48 AM
All of this piston>DI talk has me thinking. For utter simplicity and reliability, can you really beat roller delayed blowback? I'm sure in a few years someone will use it in an AR and it will be the next cool thing lol

CHS
02-18-2012, 8:56 AM
Only one drawback to a Ruger? Pete

I said that was one drawback. Not the only one :)