View Full Version : M1903 Sights

02-16-2012, 7:33 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to use the 1903 sights exactly? What is the BSZ when in the laid down position? Then when flipped up I notice there is a peep sight then a triangle and then another sight on top of the slider. Just don't get all of them. Thanks

02-16-2012, 8:28 PM
The battle zero is about 450 yds with the sight down. The rifleman would aim for the belt buckle of the enemy and at closer ranges strike the enemy in the chest. The peep is for precision work from 100 out to 2,000 or so yds. The triangular notch starts at 400 yds and give a wider field of view for lower light situations. The upper notch is for really long range shooting/distance volley fire.

02-16-2012, 8:30 PM
Here is the original rifle manual:

Document (PDF):

Flyin Brian
02-16-2012, 8:40 PM
I've always heard the BSZ is 547 when laid down, so 450 or 547, either way it's better to use the ladder sight flipped up.

I prefer to use the aperture at the bottom and I set it so it is all the way down while not blocking any of the aperture hole. Then sight in from there as needed and to compensate for different ammo.

The windage adjustment is 4" @ 100 yds for each notch on the sight base. So if you are shooting at 300yds, each notch would move the POI 12" on the paper. It is best to move the windage from left to right so the slack is taken up properly.